Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 4,902Posts
    • 45,673Thanks
    Floss
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond! 4th Jan 18 at 1:20 PM
    This is a new thread to take over from this one: What is your charity shop bargain?

I will put a linky to this thread onto the old one

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 08-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Page 106
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Jan 19, 9:47 AM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 29,118 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I’m becoming a bit crockery obsessed, I’ve also got a thing for Emma bridgewater and maddocks Indian tree and various others! Sadly dh encourages me so I have no one advising me against said purchases.
    Originally posted by bobsa1
    Deep breath, bobsa1 & meet the concept "Mission Creep" - I am helped by my family as they mutter "mission creep" if I as much a hold The Wrong Pot for more than 10 seconds.

With Denby there are Loads of different styles & patterns & colours as they've been potting for decades (& that includes the original Bourne, and the acquired as they needed the space & kit & staff Langley) so I use Denby Pottery 1809-1997 as a spotters guide, but, and it is a chewy But, it does stop at 1997.

Get it (The Amazon price is stiff but once you have the ISBN try an interlibrary loan?), read it with DH, examine the stuff on basestamps carefully (point him at Just those pages once he's looked at the colour photos?) and urge him to help you Stick To The Book. New Years Resolution - nothing you can't find in the book.

Identification websites exist, and here are one two & three to play with but you really need to get your husband's ignorance trained, or you risk ending up in deep water. (Says she, paddling strategically.)

This *could* turn expensive, so meet my Acquisition Committee Rules? (My family, realising I was a Denbyholic, set a few guidelines so we carried on eating.)
    Every piece must be whole. If it needs a lid, it should have one, & ideally the Correct one. No chips, cracks etc are acceptable but 'would improve with soap & water' quite OK.
    You may have seen how much new Denby goes for. If you are being asked about as much as that, you are being scalped. Some charity shops do use ebay etc as pricing guides & the only way to teach them better ways is Not To Buy It but let someone with more money & less sense buy it. (Keep husband on side here!) Our Committee runs at not more than 50 pence an item where we are getting a heap of bits and to Really Wrestle with haven't we got one already & anyway that pattern's pretty naff (the Colourroll years were a masterpiece of anaemic designs on pastels, much of which have survived - this is Not a reason to buy it.)

I'll leave it to you as to whether you really want all six little lidded soup bowls or just a few really useful lidded casseroles & veg dishes & the unspeakably huggable mugs, but I do urge you to be Very Very Picky. Says she from dashed nearly Under a great wall of china. My family let me get away with all sorts of vices, but the Denby is the one they both collaborate with & regret.

The Emma Bridgewater stuff is much trendier & easier to resell, has a royal connection for ease of marketing and is a sharper elbowed fight to get in consequence.

What ever china you decide to call to you, shop with a couple of copies of the Metro shoved in a handbag. Helps get the finds home whole and takes up less space than bubblewrap. Then you can start wondering about containers - as a nice china cabinet fills horribly quickly Once You Start.
    The Really Useful Boxes are admirably robust but hideously expensive. Almost as bad as the china, but you can always reuse a Really Useful Box, whereas the china is trickier.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 10-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 19, 10:02 AM
    • 21,758 Posts
    • 58,890 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I made my first Denby purchases and went a little mad. I know nothing about denby (can anyone recommend a website or book or anything) but I just loved the shapes and colours. I got 6 green lidded soup bowls, 3 plates, a couple of serving platters and a couple of other bits for £22 I donít quite know what came over me as Iíve never been drawn to them before but I just had to have them. The lidded soup bowls were £2 each and plates and platters varied between £1 and £2.
    Originally posted by bobsa1
    I use the same book as DFV.
    If you want to post photos I'm sure either or both of us can tell you the name of the range and date it.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Jan 19, 10:08 AM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 29,118 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Pollycat, given the reference pieces I've acquired should you & I consider authoring a more current reference volume?!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 19, 10:53 AM
    • 21,758 Posts
    • 58,890 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Pollycat, given the reference pieces I've acquired should you & I consider authoring a more current reference volume?!
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Possible a good idea but I'm busy with my new career - selling on eBay (but I haven't got round to listing any Denby yet).
    Getting quite a few offers and questions - one of which was how much to post a pair of boots I'm selling to an EU country.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Jan 19, 11:36 AM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 29,118 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Fast or slow, insured/signed for or not & does the buyer work at a site that routinely handles one specific delivery company packages - as that could make everything simpler at their end.

Awed at ebay selling though - I begrudge their 10% then PayPal's slice & find that for the smaller stuff I'm barely making NMW. I'm an intermittent amateur though.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 19, 11:54 AM
    • 21,758 Posts
    • 58,890 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Fast or slow, insured/signed for or not & does the buyer work at a site that routinely handles one specific delivery company packages - as that could make everything simpler at their end.
    Didn't get that far.
    I'm not getting into shipping outside the UK.

Awed at ebay selling though - I begrudge their 10% then PayPal's slice & find that for the smaller stuff I'm barely making NMW. I'm an intermittent amateur though.
    The items I'm (currently) selling are either BNWT or very lightly worn, good brand footwear.
    I just want to have a clear-out and if I can make a few bob instead of taking it to the charity shop, then I'm not that bothered about who's taking what out of my share.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 19, 12:41 PM
    • 21,758 Posts
    • 58,890 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Get it (The Amazon price is stiff but once you have the ISBN try an interlibrary loan?), read it with DH, examine the stuff on basestamps carefully (point him at Just those pages once he's looked at the colour photos?) and urge him to help you Stick To The Book. New Years Resolution - nothing you can't find in the book.
    And we know that backstamps weren't always used, don't we.
    I have a Sandalwood pattern dish (very odd size - 4" x 6" x 2" deep) which is unglazed on the bottom and has no base stamp.
    It looks a bit like the top to a butter dish but has no handle and the 'top' in that scenario is the bit that is unglazed (so clearly the base).

Of course, it was instantly recognised as Denby.
    I use it to hold my pepper and salt grinders.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 10th Jan 19, 1:42 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 29,118 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    So true, but it's a great way of discouraging someone who hasn't spent time hip deep in Denby from racing to buy something that when you turn it over, it declares itself a supermarket repro.

Wilko are currently doing a very good pseudo Imperial Blue in grey - and I smiled as son picked it out saying "it just feels right!". How it makes him feel is absolutely what matters, but if he'd wanted to pay Denby money for it, I'd have had to say something.

I love the Lovatts impressed marks for dating a piece. I can usually get it to a year if the mark is clear (and several possibles if not terribly clear), and I've used the marks to get past the lack of official basestamps. Leadless Glaze, anyone?!
    • Happy One
    • By Happy One 10th Jan 19, 4:17 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 454 Thanks
    Happy One
    Great buys in my local YMCA this morning. Large hard back cookery book,Arabesque, A taste of Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon by Claudia Roden,filled with gorgeous pictures and mouth watering recipes, originally £25 and all mine for £1 Doesn’t even looked to have been opened.
    Also got four Old Willow tea plates for £1 and a small serving dish red on the outside white inside for another £1
    Came home on the bus a very happy bunny!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jan 19, 10:26 AM
    • 21,758 Posts
    • 58,890 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Great buys in my local YMCA this morning. Large hard back cookery book,Arabesque, A taste of Morocco, Turkey and Lebanon by Claudia Roden,filled with gorgeous pictures and mouth watering recipes, originally £25 and all mine for £1 Doesnít even looked to have been opened.
    Originally posted by Happy One
    I bet this was either bought as a gift or as a coffee table book.
    It looks very nice.
    And £30 on Amazon.
    Having spent the last 2 hours photographing 'stuff'' and uploading to different folders (I'm anal) ready to list on ebay at the weekend, I remarked to my OH that I don't have time for buying and selling.

But....I did buy a lovely royal blue 'Alpaca Camargo' scarf from the hospice shop. Quite pricey at £4 but incredibly soft (as alpaca is).
    Made in Peru and has the Alpaca Camargo logo on.

Will wash and put away for a friend's birthday.

And a small wheely case that is very light.
    I've been looking for one that's small enough for one person for one night - I've got 3 things booked this year that I'm attending on my own - and all our holiday bags are too big and the rucksacks we use as hand luggage can be a bit cumbersome, especially as I'm planning on doing a bit of window-shopping before I check in and after I've checked out before I get the train home.
    It's clean & tidy and the wheels are good.
    It's the style that is also a holdall, so very squishy.

£3.00 hospice shop

And a John Grisham paperback for my holiday stash - The Rooster Bar.
    Fairly new, published in the UK 2017.
    Also from the hospice shop 75p
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 11th Jan 19, 12:04 PM
    • 5,886 Posts
    • 25,538 Thanks
    Mirů

But....I did buy a lovely royal blue 'Alpaca Camargo' scarf from the hospice shop. Quite pricey at £4 but incredibly soft (as alpaca is).
    Made in Peru and has the Alpaca Camargo logo on.

Originally posted by Pollycat
    Pollycat I've bought two of these in the past from different charity shops, (one was £1.50 and the other £4 - both b/n), under the impression they were pure alpaca...ha!! They are only 27% alpaca and 73% acrylic so not quite the bargain I thought they were. Still nice and comfy to wear though.

http://www.andeanart.com/catalog/Alpaca+Scarves/Alpaca+Camargo+Scarf

Not found anything much in my charity shops lately - they all still seem to be selling off the party wear and 'ideal Christmas Gifts' that nobody wanted I did get a couple of remnants of good quality curtain lining fabric at 20p a pop to make more dustbags for my good handbags though.
    Last edited by Mirů; 11-01-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Jan 19, 4:50 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 29,118 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Skipton, for a change, & a hospice shop had 50% off everything so I bought the manor green teacups & saucer they had (at an appalling not-discounted price). Another in Colne had Gypsy teapot cups & saucers for a fiver (count the teapot lid, that's 50 pence a piece).

I saw couple of long, lined bridesmaids dresses in a gold fabric, but thought there wasn't enough fabric to make curtains. Which is an odd way to look at pretty dresses, but since I don't tend to wear them, I look at other things to do with the fabric. (Dustbags, not so much, but I should consider the idea!).
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 12th Jan 19, 6:01 PM
    • 4,349 Posts
    • 40,445 Thanks
    dolly84
    My no buy has been broken. I was in a charity shop looking for a couple of non clothing items that I am after and spotted a lovely mohair blend jumper in speckled red with beautiful long sleeves and a high neck with buttons which go diagonally into the armpit on one side, it's just a George one but fits so well and oh those lovely sleeves, couldn't resist at just £2.50.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 12th Jan 19, 11:30 PM
    • 28,212 Posts
    • 60,132 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Today's finds: a BNWT Christmas wreath for the front door - wood / pine cone / oak leaf / gold effect for £2 that I shall put away for December, and 4 books for £1 including a translation of Suetonius' "De Vita Ceasarum" - not everyone's thing, I grant you! - but took me back 30 years to my schooldays.
    This is a great plan. I was given a lovely warm Hotter scarf / shawl for my birthday (in August) and my how I am glad of it in the winter!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 19, 9:06 AM
    • 21,758 Posts
    • 58,890 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Well, yesterday I trawled 6 shops in one town, 6 shops in another, then 12 in the city - and bought nothing.

The last (tiny, independent ) shop on my 'route' before meeting OH int'pub yielded some goodies.

An Edina Ronay casual coat in khaki, shiny parachute-silky fabric, part quilted with lots of zips and pockets. Had been £10 originally, then reduced to £5 (I saw it at £10) and yesterday everything was half-price so I paid £2.50.

A BNWT M&S Stormwear quilted jacked. Original price £55, reduced in M&S to £36.
    Shop price had been £8 and I paid £4.
    I didn't try it on in the shop and it may be too small but if it is I'll put it on ebay today and donate half the profit back to the shop. I hope it will be more than the £8 they originally priced it at.

And finally, this lovely little bag was still on the shelf so it's mine for £2.50.

I did see a lovely small silk bag with embroidery and beads on it in a charity shop on Saturday.
    It was BNWT (think it said 'Claridges') and I toyed with the idea of buying it to put her birthday present in but then decided against it.
    It was £5.00 so a bit pricey.
    The label actually says 'Claridge and Co London' and 'our products are designed to illustrate the supreme skill of their makers. We use traditional crafts and, where practical, natural fabrics. No two pieces are identical. We hope you'll love and enjoy them'.

So, not quite furoshiki but much prettier than a gift bag from the Card Factory.
    • C J
    • By C J 13th Jan 19, 9:28 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 7,088 Thanks
    C J
    DFV - I thought if you yesterday, when I was fighting my way through the mobbed Nettlebed sale. On the china stall they had a box of oddments of Denby Greenwheat signed A Colledge - a couple of plates, a cruet set on a half moon green dish, a lidded vegetable serving dish, a coffee pot and a sugar bowl (both with lids) and four soup bowls with handles, lids and saucers. They were asking £10 for the lot but I have no idea if that was good value, or whether Greenwheat is a desirable pattern.

I think I would be nervous of buying chinaware to re-sell on wBay, as even with the most careful bubble wrapping and packaging, I’d worry the items might still end up being damaged in transit.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 29,118 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    You amazing pair!

a translation of Suetonius' "De Vita Ceasarum" - not everyone's thing, I grant you! - but took me back 30 years to my schooldays.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    And finally, this lovely little bag was still on the shelf so it's mine for £2.50.
    The label actually says 'Claridge and Co London' and 'our products are designed to illustrate the supreme skill of their makers. We use traditional crafts and, where practical, natural fabrics. No two pieces are identical. We hope you'll love and enjoy them'.

So, not quite furoshiki but much prettier than a gift bag from the Card Factory.
    Awed. Not only do you find glorious things, you remind me why I keep looking!
    (Have to say yesterday I did nicely thankyou ending up lugging china but Himself found nothing other than a bad mood.) Still, another day...

C J I am a weak & feeble Denbyholic, I'd have bought the lot. (Getting it home whole would be a good start.)
    Then asked the family to get me an industrial roll of bubblewrap (the sort that packaging companies sell, that you have to keep out of reach of small children who are shorter & thinner but yearn to ride, hug, attack the bubblewrap) and an assortment of shipping boxes & broad brown tape then set to with lights and reference books & camera, ruthlessly reading up on where something like has sold on ebay for how much. All vastly effortfull & frustrating but you load the dice towards getting each piece anywhere whole, then weigh it, calculate the postage (Even International if you are an utter glutton for punishment) then list it.
    Last edited by DigForVictory; 13-01-2019 at 9:37 AM. Reason: Additional wow to C J!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 19, 10:19 AM
    • 21,758 Posts
    • 58,890 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think I would be nervous of buying chinaware to re-sell on wBay, as even with the most careful bubble wrapping and packaging, Iíd worry the items might still end up being damaged in transit.
    Originally posted by C J
    Then asked the family to get me an industrial roll of bubblewrap (the sort that packaging companies sell, that you have to keep out of reach of small children who are shorter & thinner but yearn to ride, hug, attack the bubblewrap) and an assortment of shipping boxes & broad brown tape then set to with lights and reference books & camera, ruthlessly reading up on where something like has sold on ebay for how much. All vastly effortfull & frustrating but you load the dice towards getting each piece anywhere whole, then weigh it, calculate the postage (Even International if you are an utter glutton for punishment) then list it.
    As DFV & I know - Denby is much more robust than china.

I've bought (in the past) several large Glynbourne vases/jugs/planters - not everyone's cup of tea, I know - from Ebay and they've arrived intact.

As they are hand thrown and hand decorated (date back to 1960s), each piece is different.
    I have 3 of these.
    In fact, I have the whole Glynbourne range and most of them more than one piece.
    For anyone who has the Denby book, see page 125 for the full range.
    These jugs retailed at 52 shilling and sixpence.

DFV - what do you think of Cobridge Stoneware? A very short lived company that was (IIRC) a spin off from Moorcraft.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Jan 19, 2:56 PM
    • 8,898 Posts
    • 29,118 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Pollycat, I have to say I’ve never heard of Cobridge Stoneware, & a quick google suggests their pieces are more Art than I lurch for. My family are amazingly tolerant of jugs and mugs and teapots but if I were to start hoarding stunning vases, really exotic flower arranging for the use of, I think there would be more regrettable accidents.

Yet they are understanding of my hunting the metal combs mum uses for flower arranging. Lovely to see her so happy & the garden tolerates flower arranging starting with secateurs...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jan 19, 4:14 PM
    • 28,212 Posts
    • 60,132 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I think I would be nervous of buying chinaware to re-sell on wBay, as even with the most careful bubble wrapping and packaging, I’d worry the items might still end up being damaged in transit.
    Originally posted by C J
    This is why Gumtree is your friend! I have found many household items I wanted - including a BN silk Persian rug - at a fraction of the retail price but the three traits I have used are patience, persistence, and a willingness to travel to collect the item I have my eye on. I'm now in a corner of South Essex, but have travelled as far as Bedfordshire (which turned out to be an easy drive on a sunny Sunday morning), West London, Watford, Kent and Southampton for stuff. Admittedly I planned the Southampton collection to coincide with a cruise terminal drop-off, but the owner was happy to hold onto the item for me for a few weeks (the postage would have been a killer given that it was a cast iron item).

The other advantage of a Gumtree is no commission is taken from the sale, and you get to view the product properly before you hand over the readies.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

919Users online

Martin's Twitter