Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • voixdeville
    • By voixdeville 4th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 1Thanks
    voixdeville
    Making an offer for a house
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:10 PM
    Making an offer for a house 4th Jan 18 at 1:10 PM
    I was just wondering, is it possible to make an offer for a new property before your current one has been put on the market?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 4th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 1,532 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:14 PM
    Yes but your offer is unlikely to be taken seriously.
    • Cookieie
    • By Cookieie 4th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cookieie
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    You may be best to contact the agent selling the property as different agents may have different ways of dealing with sales.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 4th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    This is some years ago, but when we wanted to reserve our new build the agent asked for confirmation that we would be able to proceed by a certain date.

When we said that we were in Armed Forces married quarters she nearly ripped our arms off!
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 4th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    eschaton
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    I was just wondering, is it possible to make an offer for a new property before your current one has been put on the market?

Thanks
    Originally posted by voixdeville
    Yes but your offer is unlikely to be taken seriously.
    Originally posted by Tom99

Not always.

I bought my current house in August 2005.

I made an offer at the end of June 2005 which was accepted as long as I agreed to move in 6 weeks with a maximum extension of 2 months.

My house wasn't on the market when I made the offer and I did move 6 weeks later on the date originally agreed.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 4th Jan 18, 7:10 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:10 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:10 PM
    You can make an offer whatever your position. I'd advise being very honest, updating them regularly. Don't be tempted to make your position sound more advanced than it is.

At the moment before the market has picked up again some vendors who need to move quickly may not reject an offer. But they may not accept it either, or accept but give you a time limit, or continue to take viewings and offers.

The house we bought recently was viewed by us before we had on offer on ours (it was on the market). We didn't offer though until we were sstc but kept in touch. It wasn't actually even on the market when we viewed it was under offer by another couple who hadn't sold. They were given 6 weeks to sell before it went back on market.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Part-time gigger and charity volunteer 2018
    • MRPEEVED
    • By MRPEEVED 4th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    MRPEEVED
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:10 PM
    our house was in the process of being put on the market when we made an offer on a house. The offer was accepted but was classed as something I can't remember the name of but it basically meant that the house would still be advertised and offers could be made.
    Turned out, we found somewhere better down the line and withdrew our offer on the original house.
    • Jack Johnson the acorn
    • By Jack Johnson the acorn 4th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,272 Posts
    • 1,403 Thanks
    Jack Johnson the acorn
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:16 PM

Thanks
    Originally posted by voixdeville
    Of course you can, but your sellers might get a little annoyed if they find out that you don't have the funds to buy the property from them and haven't made any effort to get the funds, i.e list your property for sale........
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 4th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 2,895 Posts
    • 3,247 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    This question was asked a few weeks ago, do a search. Loads of people replied to say they have successfully done so
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin