Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 4th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 12,414Posts
    • 11,644Thanks
    jenniewb
    "Script Error" pop up, do I need an ad-blocker?
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    "Script Error" pop up, do I need an ad-blocker? 4th Jan 18 at 12:46 PM
    I have two browsers, (Chrome and Internet Explorer) this problem only occurs on Internet Explorer but I am as a result unable to use IE and would like to.

The issue is getting repeated "Script Error" pop ups which look as if they come from either Microsoft of my PC itself (I don't know how to check this!) they're asking for a Yes/No response before I can use the page at all and one pop-up after the other to the point where my only option is to shut down the browser via the Task Master as I can't even get to the cross in the corner without another appearing.

I've tried AdAware (free antivirus), I've tried Malwarebytes, neither have helped. I also have the normal firewall and etc and use the latest version of Windows. I've no idea what to try next.

I'm up to date with all updates. Some sites were worse than others -Hotmail being the worst culprit, but now it seems to affect more and more sites, this one included.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what did you do to make it stop?!
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 4th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    Could be a thousand things.

I would reset IE
    (internet options, advanced, reset)

I would also run ADW cleaned , just because ..

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Let us know if that doesnt shift it
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 4th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 8,540 Posts
    • 6,449 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:50 PM
    Why not use edge not IE ?
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 5th Jan 18, 2:36 AM
    • 12,414 Posts
    • 11,644 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:36 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 2:36 AM
    Why not use edge not IE ?
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Can you get Google Bookmarks on Edge? I can't see how to.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 7th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 12,414 Posts
    • 11,644 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 7th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    OK so to update on this:

I tried the rest and the issue appeared to go away. I did also do a Malwarebytes scan and quarantined what I was told were harmful things and the issue appeared to go away. Used the browser for a few days to check if anything then re-installed itself without my awareness but it appeared to be fine.

Then I reinstalled the Google toolbar and BAM! There's the issue.

Whilst I didn't get the same script error pop-up, and they didn't appear to be on the Hotmail page (which is primarily where they were before) they are still on the MSE site and on every page I view, even if I select 'yes' to allow things I keep getting asked for permission.

If it helps anyone, the pop up read
    " an error has occurred in the script" (this is new as the previous message heading was simply "script error"

Then reads:
    Line 1
    Char 33
    (these are the same)

Then reads "unable to get property get elements by tag name of defined or null reference"

I have since uninstalled the Google toolbar which is annoying because I've had a Google toolbar for the best part of a decade and until now had found it very useful. If anyone knows of a reliable and usable toolbar I'd be grateful if you could share!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin