Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Luke2152
    • By Luke2152 4th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Luke2152
    0 WOW
    Problem with currencies direct
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:47 AM
    0 WOW
    Problem with currencies direct 4th Jan 18 at 11:47 AM
    Last month i registered with several currency brokers intending to send money from NZ to UK for a deposit on my house. A significant amount that i wouldn't normally handle. While getting quotes i accidentally ordered the trade twice on Dec 22. I phoned up on Dec 26 and told them such and was asked if i wanted to cancel and i said yes. Due to a misunderstanding i thought it was entirely being cancelled and CD thought they were just cancelling the duplicate. (I have been given a phone transcript of the conversation and unfortunately neither of us made our intention clear its pretty ambiguious). Anyway thinking the whole thing was cancelled i made the trade with another broker. On Jan 3 CD contacted me about my unpaid funds and then actually cancelled it but because of the change in exchange rate want me to pay several hundred pounds as the NZ dollar went up in the new year. I told them i was happy with paying for the change in rate as of Dec 26 (which was pretty much nil difference to Dec 22 but significantly different to Jan 3). However CD says im still liable for the fees as at Jan 3.

I hope i explained that reasonably well. My question is should I:
    *Accept i didn't make myself clear and pay the fee?
    *Refuse to pay the fee because they didn't make themselves clear either.
    *Put it to one of the ombudsman (financial services?)
    *Or any other suggestions?
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 8,631 Posts
    • 8,976 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    Maybe you should post this in an appropriate forum as this one is dedicated to a company that went bust some years ago.
    • Luke2152
    • By Luke2152 4th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Luke2152
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    There is no appropriate forum. This is the most appropriate
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 4th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 8,631 Posts
    • 8,976 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    So a forum dedicated to a company that went belly-up some years ago, losing many of its clients a lot of money is somehow appropriate..?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2772168

How about trying the main currency forum instead?
  • Currenciesdirect
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    Hi Luke2152

I’m very sorry that we couldn’t help you on this occasion – I understand it’s frustrating.

As you acknowledge, we understood your request as cancellation of just one of the two transfers you made with us. I appreciate that wasn’t your intention, however once you’d agreed the transfer, as informed, you’d committed to our terms and conditions for the agreed amount (as all our customers do).

As a gesture of goodwill, because we appreciate that this was a genuine mistake, we waived all charges associated with the cancellation of the duplicated transfer. However, during our conversation with you it wasn’t made clear that you wished to cancel both transfers – which would still have had an associated cost. Therefore we have no choice but to pass on the ‘loss’ from the foreign exchange sellback, due to a change in the market rate, for the second transfer.

Sorry we can’t do more in this instance – we’re happy to talk it through if you’d like to call. We would love the opportunity to help you with transfers in the future.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Currencies Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin