Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 4th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 4,707Posts
    • 47,575Thanks
    rose28454
    Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 wont boot up
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 wont boot up 4th Jan 18 at 10:54 AM
    OH has a Lenovo laptop and it suddenly wont boot up. The screen comes up with the Lenovo logo and says its trying a repair. Have managed to get into the advanced repair screen and it still wont do anything. Have tried to get into Safe Mode but cant get there. Any ideas anyone??
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 27,219 Posts
    • 10,966 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    Leave it powered on whilst connected to the mains. Just leave it to it.

You probably interupted an update and it now wants to check everything which will take even longer than the original update.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • rose28454
    • By rose28454 5th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 4,707 Posts
    • 47,575 Thanks
    rose28454
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    Leave it powered on whilst connected to the mains. Just leave it to it.

You probably interupted an update and it now wants to check everything which will take even longer than the original update.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I got the computer guy with a business near my work to have a look and he said it was a corrupted hard disk. He fixed it for 30.00.He recommends getting rid of AVG and using Windows Defender instead. I have an external hard drive at home so will back it up and keep an eye on it. Thanks
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 5th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 11:10 AM
    .He recommends getting rid of AVG and using Windows Defender instead.
    Originally posted by rose28454

He sounds clued up - rare for "local computer guys"
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 5th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 7,359 Posts
    • 3,851 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    Not to muddy the waters but apparently the latest Windows 10 update (the emergency Meltdown patch of this Thursday) can conflict with some AV programs, rumours of a BSOD if the two shall clash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin