Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 4th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,279Posts
    • 8,267Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    My Over 50's Spending Diary
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    My Over 50's Spending Diary 4th Jan 18 at 10:45 AM
    I have been with MSE a number of years and each year I have become better and better at making sure that I spend my money wisely. I find that recording the savings I am making no matter how small reminds me that if I take care of the pennies the pounds will take care of themselves.

Littlewoods Clearance bargains via eBay:

1. V By Very Chambray Men's shorts 3.99 saved 21.01

2. Reebok Supremium Ladies Black T-shirt 4.99 saved 17.01

3. V By Very Black Ruffle Jumper 7.99 saved 30.01

4. V By Very Black/cream High Neck Striped Jumper 5.99 saved 26.01

5. V By Very Men's Navy Woven Jogger Shorts 4.99 saved 27.01

Plus I saved 15.80 on P & P costs
    Plus a 5 discount because I had spent 20 plus
    Plus I used an eBay 20% voucher code which saved me another 4.59

1 hopper bus journey worth 75p

Free Metro Newspaper 20p

Council Tax Support for 2017 to 2018 899.83

Tesco Mid Week Delivery Saver cost me 40 for the year in 2017 but I saved 263 on the price of the individual delivery slots I used ( Tesco delivery drivers deliver to my kitchen which is really helpful as I live in a maisonette and there are so many stairs to negotiate)

Revolution Super Light 4 Wheeled Suitcase from Tesco Direct which was half price in the Sale so I saved 22.50 and I got free delivery worth 3 because I have a Delivery Saver Mid Week Plan and I had spent over 10 on my order

Poundland Bargains:

2 X Maltesers and Friends small selection pack half price saved me 1

4 X 6 Packets of Sensations crisps saved me 2.80

Superdrug In Store Shop:

2 X Cadbury's Buttons Tubes half price saved me 1

4 X Dove Men's Duo Sets 50p reduction saved me 2

Current total = 1,342.52
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 04-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Page 4
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 6th Feb 18, 1:15 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    I have no idea why the post about the cost of the cheapest newspaper on sale in London has disappeared, but thank you, whoever you were for pointing out the cost is 60p not 20p. I am years out of date, which demonstrates how long it has been since I paid for a newspaper
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    That was me. I deleted it as I realised I was talking rubbish

There are newspapers cheaper that 60p (The Sun, Daily Star). Would you read them? I don't know but they do exist and cost less than 60p so therefore I was talking rubbish

I was hoping nobody had seen the post
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    That was me. I deleted it as I realised I was talking rubbish

There are newspapers cheaper that 60p (The Sun, Daily Star). Would you read them? I don't know but they do exist and cost less than 60p so therefore I was talking rubbish

I was hoping nobody had seen the post
    Originally posted by SuperMoose
    SuperMoose thank you, I do not even consider The Sun or The Daily Star as newspapers
    • SuperMoose
    • By SuperMoose 6th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    SuperMoose
    SuperMoose thank you, I do not even consider The Sun or The Daily Star as newspapers
    Originally posted by sugarbaby125
    Me neither
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 6th Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I bought another 100 of Pizza Express Gift Cards from Tesco Gift Card Store with a 15% discount which saved me 15

(I am getting ready for a big family meal to celebrate my son's 18th Birthday at the end of June at Pizza Express in Andover. I am also converting all of my Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Tesco Boost codes to use for food at Pizza Express, which will again save me more money off the bill on the day)

I bought myself a paperback book from Poudland for myself which saved me 5.99

Free Metro newspaper 60p

Current total = 1555
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 07-02-2018 at 6:16 PM.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 7th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    Ilona
    All this money saving is admirable, you are doing really well. But what are you going to do with the saved money? Will you splash out on a massive treat, holiday or a car perhaps?

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Free Evening Standard newspaper 60p

Poundland Bargains:

2 X paperback books for myself which saved me 18.98

3 X Lavender Epsom Salts for 3 which saved me 4.50 compared to the next cheapest price I can find locally which is 2.50 each

5 X Neutradol Gel for 5 saved me 2.50 compared to buying them with my weekly grocery shop

1 hopper bus journey (6th Feb) 75p

Current total = 1582.33
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    All this money saving is admirable, you are doing really well. But what are you going to do with the saved money? Will you splash out on a massive treat, holiday or a car perhaps?

Ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona
    Hi Ilona,

I am not taking the money and putting it aside, it helps me to afford to pay for the normal household bills, to stay in credit with my bills and also to help my son to go to University this year when the time comes
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 10,425 Thanks
    chanie
    What is your son thinking of doing at University?
    2018 challenge to save 1000
    Spend less - 444.13
    Live more - 1669.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Feb 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hi Chanie,

My son intends to do Law. He wants to be a Solicitor
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    Ilona
    Thanks for your reply, I hope your son does well with his studies. I would be interested to know how much you have actually spent to be able to save 1582, all in just over a month. You don't include that figure. When I do a yellow sticker shop I write three columns, how much the actual price is normally, how much I paid for it, and how much I saved. It's usually 75% - 90%, depending on the time of day I shop. I get a buzz from seeing the difference itemized. My last shop was 64 real price, 9 paid. Yipeeeee.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hi Ilona,

I try to have as many NSD's as possible now, so I do not get out to the shops as often as I used to and here in London yellow sticker items do not give you great savings any more. You will be lucky to find items even reduced to 50% off their normal price. Far too often the savings will only be 25% off.

I have done a lot of shopping in January as I have stocked up for presents for family birthdays and for household goods that were at bargain prices and were unlikely to be repeated to be used throughout 2018.

I have always bought my books in Poundland and prior to the take over by Poundland in 99p shops. I am a complete book lover who reads every day, but I can not afford to indulge my love of books by paying more than 2 for a book. I can sometimes get a book on special offer in Tesco for 2, but that is my limit if I am not buying from a Poundland. Unfortunately I have noticed that Poundland shops are no longer restocking their book section for adults every day and are stocking only a minimal amount of books now. Lucky for me I own over 100 new books still waiting to be read.

I lost my part time cleaning job last November, so I have to be even more careful with my available budget.

My total spend to date is 1223.46

It was so time consuming to add up all of the individual totals even though I have all of the information recorded
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 08-02-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Feb 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I bought a Silver Screen Odeon adult ticket for 3 yesterday which saved me 7 on the Standard Off-Peak adult ticket

I got a free cup of tea at the cinema worth 1.90

3 hopper bus journeys 2.25 (7th Feb)

I saved 13.30 on my weekly Online Grocery Shop with special offers and price reductions

Current total = 1602.78
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th Feb 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 10,425 Thanks
    chanie
    sugar it didn't occur to me to look for books in the poundshop, until you mentioned it. Funnily enough, I just finished a book from there - although they barely had any books in when I popped in recently.

Another place to try could be your local train station. Mine has a bookcase where people can swap books, so commuters can leave their old books for fellow commuters to enjoy.

I was in The Works recently and they are doing 6 books for 10, so I might have to have a closer look...
    Spend less - 444.13
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hi Chanie,

Unfortunately Poundland seems to have taken a decision not to stock many books aimed at adults any more. Thank goodness I bought so many books in previous years. Even the children's book section does not have anywhere as many books in as it used to have.

The Works offer always used to be 10 books for 10, so that is a change and not for the better, even though you can still make substantial savings. I prefer to be in one of their shops than shop online, as it is so much easier to find really good book bargains with huge reductions. That reminds me to take a look in the Andover branch on Saturday if it still exists. What branch of The Works do you go to?

I have run out of space to store books and gifts now, so I will be spending less in the coming months. I am going to have to find a really good present for my sister for her 60th Birthday in April from eBay. After her birthday, the family birthdays come thick and fast. We are too large a family to give everyone, but my brother who suffers a lot of health issues and my sisters get presents from me every year. Some nephews and nieces also get gifts from me.

It was my son-in-law's birthday 2 days ago on the 6th. He loved his presents from me (3 M & S Autograph long sleeved shirts, which I bought from eBay last year for less than half the price I would have paid in M & S).

I always find that it works for me to buy gifts in advance, when I can try to find what I know will make the recipient happy. I buy at a much lower price than I would normally have to pay, because I make sure I have time to source gifts at bargain prices.

I am very much known as a giver in my family, but I like to make family and friends happy, especially when they are not expecting me to be able to afford a gift for them.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    • 38,502 Posts
    • 35,161 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    If you can't afford to buy books, why not join your local library? sooner rather than later, IMO, because so many local libraries round here are threatened with closure.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • chanie
    • By chanie 8th Feb 18, 9:07 PM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 10,425 Thanks
    chanie
    sue I do use my local library and take my children. In fact, I returned some books on my way home from work tonight. I like to have a mixture of library and non library books. With library books, I!!!8217;m forced to read them quickly so I can finish them before they are due back. But I can!!!8217;t do this all the time as I have family commitments, so I alternate with my own books which I can read at a slower pace.

Sugar my nearest The Works, is in Croydon. It!!!8217;s a shop I!!!8217;ve missed - I didn!!!8217;t go in it for years as it!!!8217;s on the first floor of the shopping centre and I normally couldn!!!8217;t be bothered to wait for the lift when the children were in the buggy.

Like you, I buy Xmas presents throughout the year. It!!!8217;s becoming more difficult now, as our nieces and nephews are getting older and are wanting money instead of gifts. I don!!!8217;t mind, as I!!!8217;d rather give them something they want, rather than waste money on something that gets unused.

Have you thought about what you will be getting your sister for her birthday.
    Spend less - 444.13
    Live more - 1669.05
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Feb 18, 9:09 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    If you can't afford to buy books, why not join your local library? sooner rather than later, IMO, because so many local libraries round here are threatened with closure.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    As I said I have over 100 new books to read, so I do not need to join a Library until I have run out of books to read and then I can do book swaps as Chanie suggested, so I am still unlikely to join a Library. but thank you for the suggestion
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 8th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hi Chanie,

I would like to get my sister a solid gold bracelet, but I will have to keep looking as there are none in my price range on eBay at the moment
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    Ilona
    Blimey, how long will it take you to read 100 books? You must do a lot of reading. At one book a week it will take you almost two years to read them.

Libraries are closing because not enough people are using them. I take out ten books a week, even though I don't read them all. I would like Stan to keep his job.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 9th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 1,279 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Ilona, I actually have 142 new books waiting to be read so it may take me up to 4 years to read them all, even though I read every day

Poundland Bargains:

3 X Lavender Epsom Bath Salts for 3 which saved me 4.50

2 Litres of Comfort Creations for 2 which saved me 50p compared to buying this product in Tesco as it is currently on half price offer in Tesco

2 X Sally Hansen Shimmer Nail Polishes for 1 which saved me 10.20 as the next cheapest price I could find was on Amazon UK

15 X Patak Basmati rice for 7.50 (half price offer at the moment, with January 2019 use by dates, so I could stock up) which saved me 7.50

Current total = 1625.48
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 09-02-2018 at 3:19 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

553Posts Today

5,631Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin