Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 4th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,371Posts
    • 8,882Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    My Over 50's Spending Diary
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:45 AM
    My Over 50's Spending Diary 4th Jan 18 at 10:45 AM
    I have been with MSE a number of years and each year I have become better and better at making sure that I spend my money wisely. I find that recording the savings I am making no matter how small reminds me that if I take care of the pennies the pounds will take care of themselves.

Littlewoods Clearance bargains via eBay:

1. V By Very Chambray Men's shorts 3.99 saved 21.01

2. Reebok Supremium Ladies Black T-shirt 4.99 saved 17.01

3. V By Very Black Ruffle Jumper 7.99 saved 30.01

4. V By Very Black/cream High Neck Striped Jumper 5.99 saved 26.01

5. V By Very Men's Navy Woven Jogger Shorts 4.99 saved 27.01

Plus I saved 15.80 on P & P costs
    Plus a 5 discount because I had spent 20 plus
    Plus I used an eBay 20% voucher code which saved me another 4.59

1 hopper bus journey worth 75p

Free Metro Newspaper 20p

Council Tax Support for 2017 to 2018 899.83

Tesco Mid Week Delivery Saver cost me 40 for the year in 2017 but I saved 263 on the price of the individual delivery slots I used ( Tesco delivery drivers deliver to my kitchen which is really helpful as I live in a maisonette and there are so many stairs to negotiate)

Revolution Super Light 4 Wheeled Suitcase from Tesco Direct which was half price in the Sale so I saved 22.50 and I got free delivery worth 3 because I have a Delivery Saver Mid Week Plan and I had spent over 10 on my order

Poundland Bargains:

2 X Maltesers and Friends small selection pack half price saved me 1

4 X 6 Packets of Sensations crisps saved me 2.80

Superdrug In Store Shop:

2 X Cadbury's Buttons Tubes half price saved me 1

4 X Dove Men's Duo Sets 50p reduction saved me 2

Current total = 1,342.52
    Last edited by sugarbaby125; 04-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Page 11
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 31st Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I bought another 2 Christy 100% Cotton Bath Mats from eBay for only 11.98 including P & P which saved me 18.02 as they retail for 15 each

3.36 Quidco Cashback

Savers Bargains:

4 X Dove Soaps X 3 1.69 each which saved me 93p compared to buying them in Poundland

Bodyform Normal with wings 89p each which saved me 22p compared to buying them in Poundland

2 boxes of Paracetamol 19p each saved 28p compared to buying them in Poundland

Poundland Bargains:

Hardback book for myself 1 saved me 19

Rimmel Nail Polish 1 saved myself 1.99 compared to buying it from Superdrug

Mr Kipling Mini Battenberg cakes half price saved me 50p

9 X single Twix saved me 25p compared to buying it in Morrisons

Free Metro newspaper 60p (31st July)

Current Total = 7023.90
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 4th Aug 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    My Weekly Online Grocery shopping saved me 34.04 this week

1 hopper bus journey 75p (29th July)

2 hopper bus journeys 1.50 (30th July)

5 hopper bus journeys 3.75 (31st July)

Free Evening Standard newspaper 60p (4th July)

20p Roadkill (4th July)

Morrisons Bargains:

8 X Haribo Supermix sharing bags 50p each reduced from 77p each which saved me 1.76

200g bar of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut 1.50 saved me 50p

4 Cooked Chicken Legs 4 and 20 Cooked Chicken Wings 7 from the Hot Delicatessen counter which saved me 2.10

Current Total = 7069.10
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 5th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    • 10,409 Posts
    • 65,567 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Wow....SUgarbaby - over 7k saved already. That's fantastic. Just shows doesn't it, anyway you have inspired me.

My new grandson is growing so fast, at just 4 weeks old he has outgrown some of his clothes already.

Unfortunately DIL so far has insisted on only premium brands of clothing and will not countenance anything pre loved.

Anyway I looked on eBay and found some "baby bundles" 3 to 6 months, all brand new with tags. With postage it comes to 23. It's mainly Tesco and Sainsbury's so hopefully they should be decent quality.. I reckon I made a saving of at least 100 per cent.

Of course the pre loved bundles would save even more but she won't go for it. Such a shame because at this stage babies only wear a garment a couple of times.

You have really inspired me to try harder. I am definitely going to keep a record of my saving and spending next year. And following your lead I will make a point of trying places like B@M and the Supersaver type shops.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 05-08-2018 at 6:20 PM.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Thank you LL

I have found that making a note of all of my savings from trying to spend my available money as wisely as possible, keeps me constantly searching for new bargains.

I have done quite a lot of spending recently with family birthdays, but it has been worth it for the joy and great memories that was had by the birthday boys and other family.

I will also be doing spending soon after my son has his A Level results, as then I will know what he needs to send him off to University with.

I have looked at Ikea UK online and will be buying most of the things he needs from there as he will only need things like his kitchen ware, crockery and cutlery to be of the basic kind.

It is a real shame that your DIL will not consider used baby clothes. I was really glad to make use of local charity shops when my children were babies. Back then even really good brands of baby clothes in charity shops were sold for less than 50p, sometimes as little as 10p each. Then I used Primark when my younger son was a toddler for all his clothing needs up to when he started school.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 10,409 Posts
    • 65,567 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    The baby bundle arrived this morning. I have to say I am very pleased. There are some nice little outfits in there. Yes when my two were babies I used to get a lot of their clothes from charity shops.

Then when they were a bit older I started a small business selling children's wear. I didn't make a fortune. It was enough to keep my children in nice clothes and shoes and a little bit of profit left over. It meant I could earn money and still basically be a stay at home mum.

This was before the days of the internet so I used to do clothing parties, coffee mornings etc. Not exactly the big league but it was enough to keep things ticking over.

I love IKEA. Great designs, great prices.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Aug 18, 1:24 PM
    • 38,887 Posts
    • 35,708 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    sugarbaby, don't rush to buy your DS anything until you know what accommodation he has. What is supplied varies from one place to another. But you're right to look for basic: I've kitted three sons out and seen about a third of it come back again ... not always the same stuff as I sent them with!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Februarycat
    • By Februarycat 7th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    Februarycat
    Wow....SUgarbaby - over 7k saved already. That's fantastic. Just shows doesn't it, anyway you have inspired me.

My new grandson is growing so fast, at just 4 weeks old he has outgrown some of his clothes already.

Unfortunately DIL so far has insisted on only premium brands of clothing and will not countenance anything pre loved.

Anyway I looked on eBay and found some "baby bundles" 3 to 6 months, all brand new with tags. With postage it comes to 23. It's mainly Tesco and Sainsbury's so hopefully they should be decent quality.. I reckon I made a saving of at least 100 per cent.

Of course the pre loved bundles would save even more but she won't go for it. Such a shame because at this stage babies only wear a garment a couple of times.

You have really inspired me to try harder. I am definitely going to keep a record of my saving and spending next year. And following your lead I will make a point of trying places like B@M and the Supersaver type shops.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned

My son's partner was the same when my granddaughter arrived, would not have anything secondhand. We have a lovely preloved children's clothes shop in town and most of the stuff looks hardly worn, but she kicked off when me and my son got an outfit from there before granddaughter arrived, it's not worth upsetting her over it now, I just have to get new stuff to keep the peace!
    OnePoll = 40.00 11/3/16 - 40 28/12/17
    Pureprofile = 15.20
    PanelOpinion = 2.95
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Aug 18, 3:09 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I bought 5 X Satsuma shower gel 250ml from The Body Shop online 25 and received 3 free strawberry products worth 20 and free delivery worth 2.49 because I had spent 25. (I also received double points on this order so I have a 5 voucher to use against my next order. I also got cashback of 1.25 from Quidco on this order)

I bought 2 men's leather belts from eBay on buy one get one half price offer for 8.98 including P & P which saved me 3

I bought a pair of Men's Condemned Nation Sulcis Black Shorts from eBay including P & P which saved me 24.99

Current Total = 7119.58

I have teenage and adult Nieces and Nephews who would not wear anything except branded clothing and the same goes for my oldest granddaughter and my grandson. I will indulge them only if I can find what they want on special offer online or else on eBay for a fraction of the retail cost. Otherwise they may find themselves not getting anything at all from me.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Aug 18, 3:28 PM
    • 10,409 Posts
    • 65,567 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    My son's partner was the same when my granddaughter arrived, would not have anything secondhand. We have a lovely preloved children's clothes shop in town and most of the stuff looks hardly worn, but she kicked off when me and my son got an outfit from there before granddaughter arrived, it's not worth upsetting her over it now, I just have to get new stuff to keep the peace!
    Originally posted by Februarycat
    I agree, it's not worth upsetting the Apple cart.

I have bought this small bundle as an experiment, just to see how it goes. I won't let on it's from eBay. She will see the Sainsbury's and Tesco's tags. If she doesn't like them and won't let the baby wear them then I won't bother again.....I shall just keep my money for myself and not waste it on clothes that won't be worn.

I once bought my DIL a beautiful black Georgio Armani dress. 3 from a charity shop, immaculate with tags, never worn. She threw it away, she didn't even donate it. Never again. I would have loved that dress but it didn't fit me. If I had known she was going to do that I could have sold it On EBay for a nice little profit.

SUgarbaby......I think you are right, I certainly won't be wasting my money on gifts that are not well received or appreciated.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby, don't rush to buy your DS anything until you know what accommodation he has. What is supplied varies from one place to another. But you're right to look for basic: I've kitted three sons out and seen about a third of it come back again ... not always the same stuff as I sent them with!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Thanks SavvySue that is why I have a list but have not bought anything as yet because we have to wait for my son to have his A Level results to know which of his offers he will be accepting. One of the offers comes with free accommodation and that is the one we would prefer he gets the right grades for, but we shall see. Only my younger daughter went to University of my 4 children until now and she certainly came home with everything I had bought for her to use at University, but some of the pots and other kitchen utensils had hardly been used
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 7th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I agree, it's not worth upsetting the Apple cart.

I have bought this small bundle as an experiment, just to see how it goes. I won't let on it's from eBay. She will see the Sainsbury's and Tesco's tags. If she doesn't like them and won't let the baby wear them then I won't bother again.....I shall just keep my money for myself and not waste it on clothes that won't be worn.

I once bought my DIL a beautiful black Georgio Armani dress. 3 from a charity shop, immaculate with tags, never worn. She threw it away, she didn't even donate it. Never again. I would have loved that dress but it didn't fit me. If I had known she was going to do that I could have sold it On EBay for a nice little profit.

SUgarbaby......I think you are right, I certainly won't be wasting my money on gifts that are not well received or appreciated.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    LL what an absolute shame that your DIL felt the need to throw away a BNWT Giorgio Armani dress. A criminal waste of a beautiful dress.
    • chanie
    • By chanie 7th Aug 18, 8:20 PM
    • 2,073 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    chanie
    I must admit, Im not one for pre-loved clothes. I will happily accept items from people I know - I recently received a bundle of clothes for DD from a cousin. I just dont like not knowing where clothes have been. I would wear stuff that was BNWT (brand new with tags).
    2018 challenge to save 1000
    Spend less - 1182.88
    Live more - 2022.25
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 10th Aug 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    3.92 Quidco Cashback (added to my holiday savings)

Poundland Bargains:

2 X Mr Kipling French Fancies half price saved me 1

6 X 2 finger Kit Kats multi packs X 4 half price saved me 2

Morrisons Bargain:

4 X Haribo Tangtastics sharing bags reduced from 77p to 50p each which saved me 88p

My daughter gave me 20 for washing, conditioning, drying and corn rowing her hair (added to my holiday savings)

My Weekly Online Grocery shopping special offers and price reductions saved me 23.44 this week

I bought Calvin Klein Obsession for Men 125ml EDT from eBay for 23.50 which saved me 15.47 compared to the next cheapest price (38.97) I could find on Amazon

Free Metro newspaper 60p (7th Aug)

2 hopper bus journeys 1.50 (4th Aug)

1 hopper bus journey 75p (8th Aug)

Current Total = 7189.14
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 11th Aug 18, 3:57 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Poundland Bargains:

6 X 2 Finger Kit Kat Multipack X 4 half price saved me 2

2 X Hardback Books for myself saved me 36.99

2 X Pukka Ring Binders saved me 3.98 compared to the next cheapest price I could find in Ryman

A pair of Reading Glasses saved me 99p compared to the next cheapest price for a similar pair in a local shop

TK Maxx Bargains:

2 X DKNY Bath Sheets 8 each

KAHLA Porcelain 18 piece cup and plate set 24

2 X Clear Bubble Non-slip Bath Mat 5 each

7 X Christy Hand Towels 4 each

Free delivery worth 3.99

I saved a total of 186 buying these items online from TK Maxx Clearance

Free Evening Standard newspaper 60p (11th Aug)

Current Total = 7423.69
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 15th Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    I got a lift home from the pub from my friend A which saved me the 75p bus fare (11th Aug)

2 hopper bus journeys 1.50 (11th Aug)

My friend T bought me a bottle of water at Karaoke 1.50 (12th Aug)

Wayne drove me home from Karaoke which saved me the 75p bus fare (12th Aug)

2 hopper bus journeys 1.50 (12th Aug)

I bought 2 X 250ml Satsuma Shower Gel from The Body Shop online 10 and used a 25% code for a 2.50 discount and a Love Your Body voucher which took another 5 off and I also got free delivery worth 2.49

I joined CHILI digital rentals on Tuesday through a Groupon deal and I got a free e- ticket for my local Odeon (worth 14.50) when I registered and 10 credit for film rentals with CHILI for only 5.99 which saved me 18.51

1st film rental free with CHILI which saved me 4.99

Free Metro newspaper 60p (14th Aug)

I bought myself a hardback book from Poundland which saved me 15.99

Current Total = 7478.27
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,513Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin