Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • corum_uk67
    • By corum_uk67 4th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 79Posts
    • 32Thanks
    corum_uk67
    Cost to replace springs and top mounts
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    Cost to replace springs and top mounts 4th Jan 18 at 10:03 AM
    Hi,

One of the front suspension coils snapped on my 1.6 TDCi Fiesta.
    The garage originally quoted 90+vat to fit a new one but said it needed to be done in pairs (fair enough).

Once the job was underway they then said the top mounts also needed replacing (something about the bearings having fallen apart on the collapsed side).

So total cost to supply and fit 2 x springs and top mounts = 300, is this a good price?
Page 1
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 4th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 1,227 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    Depends, if you could do it yourself then no, have you asked other garages to get a comparison?
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 4th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:31 AM
    A quick search online shows you could buy the parts for about 150.

I would guess 2-3 hours labour to fit them.

Price quoted sounds about right, not cheap but also not extortionate.
    • corum_uk67
    • By corum_uk67 4th Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    corum_uk67
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    Thanks.
    I did contact another local garage over the new year but their email address was invalid.
    As the garage used has a good rep and i've used them before and it was urgent I just went ahead and booked it in. I've been happy with their work in the past, but the last couple of times they seem to find additional bits to add on to the original quote (in this case top mounts, previously when a brake caliper failed the MOT they also replaced brake pads which they originally said looked ok).
    Have emailed a couple other garages today just out of curiosity, will post the results if I hear back from them.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 4th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    I did my rear one on my Corsa D myself.
    Got a really good one for only 10 from my local breakers yard. surprising how cheap the coil spring compressors are from , say, Amazon
    .I would nt be bothered about doing them in pairs
    Its a "doable " job for anyone who capable of changing their own wheels and oil etc
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 486 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    Thanks.
    I did contact another local garage over the new year but their email address was invalid.
    As the garage used has a good rep and i've used them before and it was urgent I just went ahead and booked it in. I've been happy with their work in the past, but the last couple of times they seem to find additional bits to add on to the original quote (in this case top mounts, previously when a brake caliper failed the MOT they also replaced brake pads which they originally said looked ok).
    Have emailed a couple other garages today just out of curiosity, will post the results if I hear back from them.
    Originally posted by corum_uk67
    Perhaps through the passage of time, parts on your car are deteriorating hence they are finding more problems. Also, regards the brakes they may as well replace the pads if the caliper is already off. It wouldn't have cost much more in labour and the price of the pads would have been minimal.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 4th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 12,652 Posts
    • 11,318 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    For future reference I really wouldn't bother emailing garages if you want to get a reply. Phone and you can discuss it with them directly.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • jlemaitre
    • By jlemaitre 4th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    jlemaitre
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    300 is average, but you do mention top mount bushes. These are quite cheap. You dont mention what Fiesta it is( MK1-8).

My MK7 Fiestas' OSF spring snapped while going over those stupid speed humps I have at work(over the years they must have caused stress to the spring) recently.

The springs was replaced in pairs, More recommended to do in pairs to be fair. I paid my local garage 200 all in using genuine Ford springs.

Hopefully that should help you out with a rough price guide... But of course it does depend on how well the job goes on the day
    • corum_uk67
    • By corum_uk67 5th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    corum_uk67
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    Gutted. just had a response from one of the other garages who are also a member of the 'good garage scheme'. Total price including VAT would have been 198.30.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 5th Jan 18, 10:55 AM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    tykesi
    who are also a member of the 'good garage scheme'
    Means nothing.
    • james007ago
    • By james007ago 5th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    james007ago
    i used one of those on the "good garage scheme". Never again, they will tell you something needs doing in your car when in fact, there isn't any. Run away from them.
    • corum_uk67
    • By corum_uk67 5th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    corum_uk67
    i used one of those on the "good garage scheme". Never again, they will tell you something needs doing in your car when in fact, there isn't any. Run away from them.
    Originally posted by james007ago
    Indeed. The garage that actually did the work in this case has done extra work twice now without contacting me first, first to install new break pads after they had already said they were ok (during the MOT) and this time to charge an extra 80 for fitting new top mounts in addition to the springs (a job which I would guess takes about 10 mins max seeing as the springs are already off).

Having said that, i'm sure some garages on the scheme are honest, it would be unfair to write them all off. But I think i'll be trying somewhere different next time and hopefully will have time to get a few quotes first if its not urgent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,309Posts Today

6,884Users online

Martin's Twitter