Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaunhouse
    • By shaunhouse 4th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 81Posts
    • 27Thanks
    shaunhouse
    Windows
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    Windows 4th Jan 18 at 9:55 AM
    So long story short, i've looked into the various options to do the house i'm in justice. At present the windows are either steel / critall windows in the bays and some wood. Nearly all are single glazed.

I have looked at bronze, modern steel windows, aluminium, wood, i even looked at posh UPVC windows at one point.

Modern steel windows are far too expensive. I loved the bronze windows but i just can't quite justify the price tag. Smart Alitherm Heritage windows (aliminium) are pretty much were i'm at as price wise they are good but i can't rest on a colour. They do an alchemy bronze color which i've seen and it looks the like the bronze windows I was after.

The other concern I have is that dark frames won't look right for the house. If I had the stone cleaned up i think it would be alot lighter and work better.

Thoughts please?
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 25,206 Posts
    • 68,814 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    I think dark frames would look amazing! The black of the guttering looks great against the stone already.

You want slim frames as you have now so you can focus on the glass. The major factor in how slim you can get them is price, as you discover with the heritage steel.

You can see that the french doors don!!!8217;t suit the property as well as the existing windows because the frame is so bulky. The existing colour really doesn!!!8217;t help at all as it draws real attention, but a very dark colour would help the frames recede even more.

I say go for it!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 4th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5,252 Posts
    • 13,992 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    Is the house listed or in a conservation area? And you have a church(?) next-door which is probably listed.

You need to first work out whether there are any restrictions on changes you'll be allowed to make - Crittall Windows are now considered a heritage feature - and alterations to windows (even the frame colour) in a building has a significant impact on its appearance.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 4th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 2,642 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    I haven't got a particularly strong view on the windows other than to say that I think darker frames would look better than lighter ones, but I must say that you have a lovely looking house. Congratulations.

I would also suggest going for darker alarm boxes if that's possible. I know that visibility is part of the deterrent but with such a handsome house, if you're going to the trouble of getting aesthetically complementary windows I would change the alarm boxes too.
    • shaunhouse
    • By shaunhouse 4th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    shaunhouse
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    The church is over the road and listed but no the house isn't listed or in a conservation area so no issue with changing them.
    • road2manchester
    • By road2manchester 4th Jan 18, 10:59 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    road2manchester
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:59 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:59 PM
    Popular colours at the moment are Light oak PVCu , Black or dark grey outer white inner . I have a 1930's Art deco bungalow that I am fitting Duration Heritage alloy(black on white) as the steel from Crittal still have issues with condensation and rust. (Duration have cold break between).
    I know that Light Oak PVC looks stunning with stone (I am a stone finish supplier/ repairer). I have pictures of a recent house if I can post them. Go on Houzz UK and look up Crittal windows , plenty of info there.

• shaunhouse
    • By shaunhouse 5th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    shaunhouse
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    Popular colours at the moment are Light oak PVCu , Black or dark grey outer white inner . I have a 1930's Art deco bungalow that I am fitting Duration Heritage alloy(black on white) as the steel from Crittal still have issues with condensation and rust. (Duration have cold break between).
    I know that Light Oak PVC looks stunning with stone (I am a stone finish supplier/ repairer). I have pictures of a recent house if I can post them. Go on Houzz UK and look up Crittal windows , plenty of info there.

Originally posted by road2manchester
    Duration heritage uses the same system - smart alitherm heritage. These are the windows in set on also.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

989Posts Today

7,422Users online

Martin's Twitter