Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrsjobba2
    • By Mrsjobba2 4th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mrsjobba2
    0 WOW
    Advice needed when booking flight only
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    0 WOW
    Advice needed when booking flight only 4th Jan 18 at 9:47 AM
    Hi ,
    I will be wanting to book flights only for going to America. We need just flights as already have accommodation. Does anyone have any advise - as we are not booking a package we wonít be covered by abta. Is there anything we need to look out for? Should we pay by credit card - would this offer extra protection? Any help would be really appreciated thanks
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 4th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 2,817 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    I book eight to ten flights a year world wide. Yes, use a credit card and buy insurance as soon as flights booked. When buying overseas flights you usually get an option to buy cheaper, non refundable flights or pay a bit more and have flights that you can cancel at little cost.
    Look at skyscanner for cheap flights but book direct with the airline involved.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 4th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 4,175 Thanks
    blindman
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:56 AM
    Hi ,
    I will be wanting to book flights only for going to America. We need just flights as already have accommodation. Does anyone have any advise - as we are not booking a package we wonít be covered by abta. Is there anything we need to look out for? Should we pay by credit card - would this offer extra protection? Any help would be really appreciated thanks
    Originally posted by Mrsjobba2
    Book direct with the airline-easier to sort any problems if they arise.

Go through Quidco\Topcashback to get £££ back if possible.

Get travel insurance as soon as you book the flights.

Compare prices using Skyscanner or similar but do NOT book through their links.

Look at Low Cost Carrier Norwegian.

Look at flying into "nearby" airports for possible cheaper prices.

Yes, pay by Credit card.

Don't forget the ESTA.
    • Mrsjobba2
    • By Mrsjobba2 4th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrsjobba2
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    Thanks got Esta in place already.

Never used skyscanner before also never used a cash back site either.

Just curious why don!!!8217;t you book through the links on skyscanner?

We live in northeast, so would need to fly from Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh. Think Norwegian only fly from London
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 4th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 11,277 Posts
    • 7,396 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    Just curious why donít you book through the links on skyscanner?

We live in northeast, so would need to fly from Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh. Think Norwegian only fly from London
    Norwegian also fly direct from Edinburgh to Stewart New York
    The reason most people suggest booking with the airline is that many of the third party sites do not have live pricing, you may see a flight that looks cheaper that with the airline direct, you request to book, pay the money and they the agency may fail the booking or contact you to advise the correct live price and ask for more (or wait for your money back)
    Air Travel forum on trip advisor has many tales of woe with people that have booked through agents and come across issues (although many will have successful bookings, just depends on your attitude to risk)
    Google Flights should give a good indication too and tends to have less agents
    note that EU carriers (BA, Virgin etc) will offer EU261 protection for delays cancellations in both directions, if you book with a US carrier (Delta, American, United etc) you are only protected on the way out.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 4th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    Just curious why donít you book through the links on skyscanner?
    Because some of the sites they link to are terrible. The default should be to book your ticket direct from the airline, preferably the airline that is operating your flight.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 5th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 3,056 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    And if you want to be very money saving wait until 13th January when the current charges for booking with credit cards, often 2% or even more, become outlawed throughout the EU.

Remember if you book connecting flights where the connection is in the US, you will have to go through customs and immigration at your first port of call, so allow plenty of time to transfer. If you fly via Dublin you can go through the procedures before you leave Dublin and arrive as a domestic passenger in the US and save a couple of hours on arrival. Direct flights are more expensive but are certainly my preferred option if available
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 5th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 5th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    Have a look at Thomas Cook flights - depending on where you want to go. We flew manchester to New York JFK with them, and were very happy with the service. They also do other locations too, did I see an advert recently for Delta from Newcastle to USA, I can't quite remember!

My biggest tip, insurance, make sure it covers the fact you are DIY - so if your flight is cancelled what would happen to your accommodation. I'm not putting you off here, we pretty much always go DIY rather than a package!

Another tip, check and recheck your flights on the site of whoever it's booked with. i booked internal flights from washington DC once, only to find we couldn't check in as they'd moved the flight time forward and hadn't told us. we'd missed the flight! they were very helpful in getting us onto a different flight, to a nearby destination, but still had to hire a car to get back on track!
    • bspm
    • By bspm 13th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    bspm
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    We fly to America four times a year and always book our flights through skyscanner, cheaper than booking direct with the airline.

Only time I book with airline is if I am using my avios or virgin points.

Been doing it this way for over 8 years, never had a single problem so not sure why posters are saying there are....
    • richardw
    • By richardw 13th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 18,618 Posts
    • 7,719 Thanks
    richardw
    We fly to America four times a year and always book our flights through skyscanner, cheaper than booking direct with the airline.....
    Originally posted by bspm
    Skyscanner isn!!!8217;t a travel agent, so who are you booking with?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 13th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Been doing it this way for over 8 years, never had a single problem so not sure why posters are saying there are....
    Because there are thousands of complaints on forums like Tripadvisor from people that have been burned by (certain) 3rd party sites. As above, you're not booking from Skyscanner and there are 3rd party sites I'd have little hesitation using (although there are always certain downsides of doing so).
    • Mrsjobba2
    • By Mrsjobba2 15th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mrsjobba2
    Hi,

Thank you for all of your replies. I know understand about ensuring you book direct with the airlines other than a. 3rd p arty website and it got me thinking- if you are using a cash back website eg quidco is that seen as booking direct with the airline or is it classed as a 3 Rd party? Iíve never used any of these sites and would welcome any additional information or advice - thank you
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 15th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Quidco doesn't sell tickets, they're not a 3rd party. If you go through them to book from an airline, you're still booking from the airline and not a 3rd party.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 16th Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    bspm
    Skyscanner isn!!!8217;t a travel agent, so who are you booking with?
    Originally posted by richardw

Whichever company that comes up the cheapest through skyscanner of course...I never said I booked with skyscanner I said I booked through skyscanner.

The last three flights have been with TravelTrolley, October last year January and March this year.
    Last edited by bspm; 16-01-2018 at 3:33 PM.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 16th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    bspm
    Because there are thousands of complaints on forums like Tripadvisor from people that have been burned by (certain) 3rd party sites. As above, you're not booking from Skyscanner and there are 3rd party sites I'd have little hesitation using (although there are always certain downsides of doing so).
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    And I should imagine there are thousands of people that have no need to complain.

As far as I am concerned 32 flights booked through skyscanner over the last 8 years and nothing ever having gone wrong is ok in my book.

For example, the March flight this year has cost us £345 each return from Manchester on a Virgin flight, the price to book with Virgin directly is £449 per flight, no brainer as far as I am concerned. Same flight, same seats, £104 per person saving, and that £208 saved goes a long way towards our June flight.
    Last edited by bspm; 16-01-2018 at 3:35 PM.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 16th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    jpsartre
    And I should imagine there are thousands of people that have no need to complain.
    Of course. I would strongly suspect the majority, if not the great majority, have no issues. The problem is that many people aren't aware of the risk or downsides of going through a 3rd party, especially the poorer ones.
    • bspm
    • By bspm 16th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    bspm
    Of course. I would strongly suspect the majority, if not the great majority, have no issues. The problem is that many people aren't aware of the risk or downsides of going through a 3rd party, especially the poorer ones.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    made me laugh, not sure if you meant poor sites or poor people

Last edited by bspm; 16-01-2018 at 7:40 PM.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 16th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Haha, the former
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 16th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Whichever company that comes up the cheapest through skyscanner of course...I never said I booked with skyscanner I said I booked through skyscanner.

The last three flights have been with TravelTrolley, October last year January and March this year.
    Wherever possible I always book direct with the airline. Well known sites such as Expedia or Ebookers are fine but I wouldn't book with bucket shop that I've never heard of.
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 16th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 2,905 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    We fly to America four times a year and always book our flights through skyscanner, cheaper than booking direct with the airline.

Only time I book with airline is if I am using my avios or virgin points.

It is when a problem does occur that you then value dealing directly with the airline as opposed to a TA.

You always determine how good a service provider is when things do go belly up.

Just a thought for the OP, if you are going to the states and considering hiring a car, then booking through BA Holidays might be worth thinking about.

Booking the flight and car with BA will likely save you a little bit, but you would then have ATOL protection and only need to pay a deposit with the balance paid a few weeks before departure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

503Posts Today

5,807Users online

Martin's Twitter