Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 4th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 87Posts
    • 5Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    -= Why is rubbish not burned?
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    -= Why is rubbish not burned? 4th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Jan

I am thinking that UK gov is not doing its duty by not burning enough plastics and making electricity. But by sending waste to China. Chinese gov being such laying, scamming, thieving dirt bags not many know what they do with waste.

This is pointed out here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5233431/Councils-drastic-action-plastic.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign= 1490
    smartfit888 Daily free exercises
Page 2
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 5th Jan 18, 7:32 PM
    • 4,691 Posts
    • 12,206 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I couldn’t believe the public outcry when a local Council wanted to use waste heat from the local crematorium to warm the water in a nearby swimming pool. Waste incinerators are a bit like nuclear power stations - great idea, but not in my back yard.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    There was a time when the Council would have done something like that and nobody would be any the wiser. There are some downsides to having this open government stuff

Given the choice of the nuke or the incinerator I'd be quite happy with the nuke. Not sure it would fit in my back yard though Well at least not until they roll out SMRs.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 11th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    Thanks for input.
    • JC_Derby
    • By JC_Derby 21st Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 637 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    JC_Derby
    I am under the impression that if UK government build more incinerators to get rid of rubbish, converting waste in the electricity, instead of sending to the scam bags of Chinese government, that would be more beneficial for nature.
    Originally posted by thriftyarek888
    I suspect your impression is wrong
    Plain that you don't like the Chinese government, but I think you need to do a little more research into burning waste
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 21st Jan 18, 11:16 AM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    Nick_C
    There is no point separating plastics for recycling if no one wants to buy them. Incineration with energy recovery is the next best option.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 21st Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    Well this incineration isnt working for people near by

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5292571/Firm-gets-1-7M-green-subsidies-plant-spews-gas.html
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 21st Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Originally posted by BargainGalore
    They are not incinerating waste. They are extracting methane from rotting waste in a landfill site, and using the methane as fuel in a power station.

This is very different to incinerating waste.
    • BargainGalore
    • By BargainGalore 21st Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 2,768 Thanks
    BargainGalore
    Yes your right apologies
    • sonstbbs
    • By sonstbbs 21st Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    sonstbbs
    Having just Christmassed in Aalborg in Denmark our family members all use the local waste to energy power plants for their very cheap energy...their houses all had underfloor heating and were very, very warm! The power stations do however give the town a slightly industrial skyline....blooming good idea though.....
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 21st Jan 18, 9:45 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    Nick_C
    ... The power stations do however give the town a slightly industrial skyline...
    Originally posted by sonstbbs
    But that's a question of architecture. I think the Newhaven incinerator is quite attractive.

http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/images/uploaded/scaled/incinerator.jpg
    • thor
    • By thor 22nd Jan 18, 2:27 AM
    • 5,224 Posts
    • 1,874 Thanks
    thor
    But that's a question of architecture. I think the Newhaven incinerator is quite attractive.

http://www.ournewhaven.org.uk/images/uploaded/scaled/incinerator.jpg
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    That looks like it has come straight off the set for the next Star Wars film.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 22nd Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nic_c
    That looks like it has come straight off the set for the next Star Wars film.
    Originally posted by thor
    Looks more like they reused the old USSR river rocket for the design

http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2016/09/raketa-abandoned-river-rockets-soviet-union/
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 22nd Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    nic_c
    The Leeds incinerator handles half the cities black bags, recycling and burning non-recycled elements
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-37987848
    The design has been incorporated with greenery which is innovative.
    Mind you it is supposed to recycle at least 10% of the waste it gets and has missed the targets for the 3rd time.
    • thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 23rd Jan 18, 1:20 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    The Leeds incinerator handles half the cities black bags, recycling and burning non-recycled elements
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-37987848
    The design has been incorporated with greenery which is innovative.
    Mind you it is supposed to recycle at least 10% of the waste it gets and has missed the targets for the 3rd time.
    Originally posted by nic_c

That is great by Leeds government. We should have them up in every major city cutting off all waste exports. Someone in government should be in charge of that! Great link thanks Nic
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 23rd Jan 18, 1:42 AM
    • 4,517 Posts
    • 5,809 Thanks
    jack_pott
    They're about to start building a waste incinerator here in a couple of months time. Yours for just £500m. They have planning permission, but they've been told to increase the height of the flue stack, or they won't be granted a licence to operate.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 24th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    Seems UK is technologically capable of recycling over 50% of domestic waste. Environmental division is clearly not doing thee job!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 24th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Seems UK is technologically capable of recycling over 50% of domestic waste. Environmental division is clearly not doing thee job!
    Its very easy for the leafy Shires to achieve a high recycling rate. All they need to is provide a garden waste collection.

Much harder in cities, where many people don't have gardens, and where high levels of deprivation can mean people are more worried about their physical, financial, and emotional security than they are about rising sea levels in the Maldives.
    • thriftyarek888
    • By thriftyarek888 26th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    thriftyarek888
    If recycling was made mandatory then people would have to do it. Is the solution not there? Mandatory payed parking type fees?
    • molerat
    • By molerat 26th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 18,384 Posts
    • 12,546 Thanks
    molerat
    If recycling was made mandatory then people would have to do it. Is the solution not there? Mandatory payed parking type fees?
    You would have to get all councils singing from the same hymn sheet to do that though. Window envelopes, TetraPaks, parcel tape, type 5 plastic, black type 1 plastic and bottle tops to name just a few of the anomalies.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 26th Jan 18, 6:07 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Recycling is mandatory in many areas. Councils serve notice on residents telling them what they are allowed to put in each bin. If you put recycling in your refuse bin you may find it is not emptied, you may get a warning, or you may be issued with a fixed penalty notice.

The Daily Mail used to criticise councils running this type of scheme. Now they are campaigning about plastic bottles not being recycled. Hey ho.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 26th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 3,774 Posts
    • 5,184 Thanks
    Nick_C
    You would have to get all councils singing from the same hymn sheet to do that though. Window envelopes, TetraPaks, parcel tape, type 5 plastic, black type 1 plastic and bottle tops to name just a few of the anomalies.
    Originally posted by molerat
    You just need to inform residents what they can and cannot recycle in any particular area. Unfortunately, many seemingly intelligent people seem to have difficulty following instructions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

9Posts Today

3,353Users online

Martin's Twitter