Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • peterstannard
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:36 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:36 PM
    I wonder what they’d have done there if it was the other way round.
    Unloaded their 9mm. Then again that happens here too.
    • robnye
    • By robnye 16th Oct 07, 2:38 PM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    robnye
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:38 PM
    • 16th Oct 07, 2:38 PM
    at least you didnt call them stupid - now that would have been an insult.......
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to....
    • Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 17th Oct 07, 7:37 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Mumstheword
    • 17th Oct 07, 7:37 AM
    • 17th Oct 07, 7:37 AM

I often read your blogs with interest, but they go by without comment usually.

This one, however, deserved a pat on the back for being one of the few who would speak up.

How handy, then, that at the bottom of the blog, instead of 'comment and discuss', it says 'commend' and discuss

Good job that was my intention eh? But a little presumtuous?

Any spelling and grammar mistakes made by me are, of course, exempt from discussion
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
    • snowmaid
    • By snowmaid 17th Oct 07, 7:50 AM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 6,654 Thanks
    snowmaid
    • 17th Oct 07, 7:50 AM
    • 17th Oct 07, 7:50 AM
    You find them everywhere, not just in immigration queues. People who think that they are above the law and obeying law is taking away their civil rights, people who try and 'sex' their way through a situation etc etc. :rolleyes:

They make me want to hurl into the nearest bin.
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Oct 07, 9:23 AM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 17th Oct 07, 9:23 AM
    • 17th Oct 07, 9:23 AM

I often read your blogs with interest, but they go by without comment usually.

This one, however, deserved a pat on the back for being one of the few who would speak up.

How handy, then, that at the bottom of the blog, instead of 'comment and discuss', it says 'commend' and discuss

Good job that was my intention eh? But a little presumtuous?

Any spelling and grammar mistakes made by me are, of course, exempt from discussion
    Originally posted by Mumstheword

Oops - its now restored to 'Comment and discuss'
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Mumstheword
    • By Mumstheword 17th Oct 07, 3:40 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 1,733 Thanks
    Mumstheword
    • 17th Oct 07, 3:40 PM
    • 17th Oct 07, 3:40 PM
    Oops - its now restored to 'Comment and discuss'
    Originally posted by MSE Martin
    Aaw, spoilsport!
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me
  • BenL
    • 19th Oct 07, 1:05 PM
    • 19th Oct 07, 1:05 PM
    Do you ever get through the airport without a hiccup Martin? A month or so ago you were shouting customer service messages weren't you?
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
    • peter999
    • By peter999 19th Oct 07, 6:09 PM
    • 6,950 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    peter999
    • 19th Oct 07, 6:09 PM
    • 19th Oct 07, 6:09 PM
    I returned through Stansted last week around midnight & the queue was quite long.

Since when have the queues started being so long ??

Is it since the passport officers got new uniforms & faff about with the passports a bit more ??

I don't like everyone being treated as a suspect or terrorist under the excuse of "terrorism".

peter999
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 20th Oct 07, 12:00 AM
    • 13,098 Posts
    • 9,003 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Martin wondered:
    Having been through US immigration a couple of times myself, often an intimidating process, I wonder what they’d have done there if it was the other way round.

In that situation, I think she would have been crossing the Atlantic again pretty quickly. US immigration expect their victims -- sorry customers -- to do exactly as told.

Incidentally, there are fairly strict rules against using mobile telephones anywhere near the queue for Immigration. I am surprised that no-one was enforcing them. Such behaviour would not have been tolerated at Heathrow.
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 23rd Oct 07, 11:54 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    Stun gun anyone...

Empty vessels tend to make the most noise, all that bellowing on the phone. Probably just a pumped up plastic Barbie, with a very ugly personality. Yuk!!

Good on you Martin for puting her firmly in her place. I hope she was thoroughly grilled before gaining entry to the UK, maybe she was refused. Whatever the outcome I hope the American line was a damn sight longer than the European one.
    Last edited by Smiley_Mum; 24-10-2007 at 12:04 AM.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • IanWorthington
    • By IanWorthington 24th Oct 07, 10:48 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    IanWorthington
    I've seen what they do in the US. I was with a few hundred people stuck in a go-slow immigration queue with insufficient staff and, of course, this being the US, no air-side transfer (Hello guys? Duh!). After a few hours people are starting to miss their flights. One woman dares to complain, and receives a faceful of abuse from the airline customer service agent and an immediate visit from a group of very aggressive cops.

I would be very worried if the excuse of "Global Terrorism" led our airport staff to start behaving in this same way, even to vacuous airheads.
    • IanWorthington
    • By IanWorthington 24th Oct 07, 11:03 AM
    • 56 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    IanWorthington
    I returned through Stansted last week around midnight & the queue was quite long.

Since when have the queues started being so long ??

Is it since the passport officers got new uniforms & faff about with the passports a bit more ??

I don't like everyone being treated as a suspect or terrorist under the excuse of "terrorism".

peter999
    Originally posted by peter999
    Had the same experience there a few months ago and asked the immigration agent what was going on. Apparently its bau for that time of day there -- there's too many flights arriving at the same time for the number of agents on duty.

(Seemed to me there was an obvious solution to that, but she was being nice so didn't seem approriate to speak my mind...)
    • newsgroup_monkey
    • By newsgroup_monkey 24th Oct 07, 2:44 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    newsgroup_monkey
    I have 2 things to add to this.....

Firstly, the thing about queuing for passport control, surely this is why we all have "Digital" passports - my latest one has a chip in and all sorts. Surely it's supposed to make things easier?

Secondly, I am (ashamedly) flying from London Luton to Charles De Gaulle weekly at the moment. When queuing for passport control, it never ceases to amaze me the people who really don't know how to queue. Particularly people who think that because I have a pair of headphones on that they can simply walk past me. Just because I care to spend the 3 hours a week I spend in this queue listening to something I enjoy doesn't mean I'm stupid.

On a subnote, the French actually have it right: The 2 queues not only have Writing in French and English for the queues, they also have pretty pictures so that those who are Polish or Chinese (for example) know which queue to be in. In the UK, we seem to have it wrong. In London Luton, for some reason, we don't have any pictures of flags. Only wording. In English!
    The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity.

• Horace
    • By Horace 24th Oct 07, 3:15 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    They have the right idea in Australia - if you haven't got the correct visa, you are sent back from whence you came on the next available flight. You cannot take in more than $AUS 10,000 otherwise you'll have the federal police jumping all over you. You cannot take in food, seeds, leaves - all of this is destroyed. If you are a criminal or look dodgy you are singled out for special treatment, if you fail to fill in the immigration card (the thing they give you on the plane) then you can also be subject to special treatment - strip searches etc or even sent home.

They should do that here and stop allowing the health tourists etc from coming in. If we stop giving them free benefit handouts (I am English and have been working for 27 years but now my circumstances have changed and I need benefits I can't get them) and free healthcare then we may reduce immigration. Make them apply for visas and if they expire boot them out!
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make £5 a day challenge Oct 2014 £126.00/£155
    Make £5 a day challenge Nov 2014 £157.40/£150
    Make £10 a day challenge Dec 2014 £392.90/£310
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,702Posts Today

8,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @womensaid: Financial abuse is a form of domestic violence. We were delighted to advise on this article - no woman experiencing financia?

• Joint accounts, financial abuse and managing money in relationships - what every couple needs to know. My new blog? https://t.co/L3yAkncV0c

• Two weeks ago I tweeted about sensitive teeth and unbidden Colgate sent me their sensitive tooth paste. Last week? https://t.co/hV2wFPGKWh

• Follow Martin