Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 4th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    • 3,089Posts
    • 42,578Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Thursday 4th January 2018
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 4th January 2018 4th Jan 18 at 6:25 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 4th January 2018

This is an !!!8220;over the garden fence!!!8221; type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It!!!8217;s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we!!!8217;re going to do today or what we!!!8217;ve achieved already. Everyone!!!8217;s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn!!!8217;t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don!!!8217;t post large pictures, or clip art !!!8211; links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don!!!8217;t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and I'll wake DS2 shortly, he's back to college today.

Dinner last night was disjointed as I organised dinner for both boys as soon as I came in from work, they had jacket potatoes, breaded chicken portions and veg. DH decided in the afternoon he would come to the hospital last night, so we picked up a takeaway on the way back, which actually was enough for the boys to have some in a bowl also, it was enough for a small meal which was just right as it was getting late.

I'm now on days' off so I'll be heading into town to visit the building society and bank, I'll also then visit the butchers and I'm thinking I'll pick up some beef/lamb and shove it in the slow cooker with some veg and gravy, this will then become tonight's dinner, I'll be making sure I get everything ready before I go to the hospital, so I can serve a decent meal tonight. I'm going to be visiting during the day when I can so I can then be at home in the evening.

Work was all or nothing, 20 minutes before closing we have a queue to the door whilst the 3 hours before that we've not been very busy at all.

Went to the hospital last night and although she was awake and was just finishing her dinner, she wasn't as with it as she had been the night before, although there was some 2 way conversation. They had difficulty with her sleeping in the afternoon then being unresponsive when they tried to wake her, also her sugar count was very high and they were extra vigilant checking it but it came down nicely eventually - so we just have to take it day by day I guess.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 04-01-2018 at 6:45 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 71,171 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all,

Judi, your granddaughter is such a little love though I bet you don't say that when she's screeching her head off!
    She takes a bit to settle when i have her but she screams at home. I dont think it helps that her Mummy wont let her go to anyone other than me. Her other Nanny hasnt looked after her either. Her other Nanny was always hands on with Livewire but my daughter tends to keep her to herself (or me). Things will change next week though as my daughter is back at work. I will be having her one day, her other Nanny will be having her one day and she will be in nursery one full day too. I hate the idea of her going to nursery at 4 months old but less said about that the better.

Speky Beards. I have specific ideas...

Not too long that it looks unkept, not too short that it just likes you cant be bothered. Do you have a baby face? If so a beard will look more 'grown up'. Are you blonde? If so stands a chance no one will notice it. Finally, does the beard hair grow the same colour as the hair on your head? I know it sounds daft but Grumps beard grows back ginger (and grey) when the hair on his head is a dark blonde.

Glad you didnt ask about moustaches.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 4th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 4,222 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Afternoon Everyone,

Visited my mom yesterday at the Nursing Home. Had a good visit.

I have to back again tomorrow and meet moms social worker there, so this visit may not be a good one.

Speky Lucky you going to Berlin, even if it is for work. I want to go to Berlin.
    Beards I would say try it having a beard and see what you think, some men look younger with a beard some look older.

Sending hugs to anyone who wants them.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 71,171 Thanks
    Judi
    Speky
    Beards I would say try it having a beard and see what you think, some men look younger with a beard some look older.
    I agree.

Youngest is trying really hard to grow his. He is 22 in a couple of days and its finally thickening up.

Both my boys have beards.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 71,171 Thanks
    Judi
    Prodigal only has a beard when he cant be assed to shave. They dont suit him anyway.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 4th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    Afternoon all

I am not that keen on beards. At a push I can cope with a neat, tidy, not too long, beard but I must admit to really disliking this current trend for a mass on tufty hair on the chin/jaw. I think that style of beard has a name but I'm not 'down with the kids' so no idea what it is?

No other news to impart but hope you are all having a good day x
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 71,171 Thanks
    Judi
    Several of Youngests friends have neck beards. Not that i'm a fan personally but they might be useful to hide a double chin.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all
    Not had a very good night's sleep due to a visit from Dad yesterday for his tea. All I shall say about that is **!**. Even Mr Fix It has had enough and he's very level headed and calm during stressful times but he's been pushed him over the edge too. Yesterday you could cut the atmosphere with a knife, so Dad will be invited for Sunday lunch only from now on and we will see how things go.
    So today we decided to go out for the day, called in the garden centre and had a coffee, then later went to the chippy for our tea, so no cooking required. Came home to find elderly neighbour on the doorstep complaining that her family were not talking to her etc. and would I go round. Er no, my lunch is in my hand getting cold. So I've had enough, I feel so down and I can't cope with anymore negativity. We have enough worries of our own with Mr Fix It's illness and only DD and family seem to understand ( or care ). Apologies for this post but it is making me feel a little better to get it off my chest IYSWIM.
    We have the DGC tomorrow for a sleep over, so if I'm MIA I'm still around, hopefully . I'll have been "ing" ing too much. Craft-ing, x box-ing, barbie-ing, bak-ing etc.... Funnily enough I'm really looking forward to a bit of happiness, because that's what they bring , no strings attached !

Speky I love a man with a well kept beard, Mr Fix It has has one for about 25 years.
    I love comps good luck with your visit tomorrow.
    NMLC thinking of your Mum
    Judi love the photo of your DGD.
    JackieO what's the saying .... "You're only as old as the man you feel "
    Hugs all round to you lovely, thoughtful people.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 71,171 Thanks
    Judi
    Ooo arrrr!
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 4th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 12,668 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Afternoon all. I have been AWOL since Tuesday as we were burgled in the early hours of Wednesday morning. We were asleep in need. The top opener above the dining room was wrenched open any left hanging drunkenly on one hinge. Meh.

Usual stuff went- phone, laptop, tablet(expensive),handbag cash,sons wallet with Xmas money. OH's stuff upstairs including car keys. Meh.Am typing this on my kindle fire. Difficult. Still no one WS head hurt. Can't sleep though.

Well enough of me. Hugs to poorlies and worried.

Gintot
    Last edited by Gintotmelinda; 04-01-2018 at 4:49 PM.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Gintot sorry to hear about the break in. Hope you are insured. Take care.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 4th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 16,251 Posts
    • 71,171 Thanks
    Judi
    Afternoon all. I have been AWOL since Tuesday as we were burgled in the early hours of Wednesday morning. We were asleep in need. The top opener above the dining room was wrenched open any left hanging drunkenly on one hinge. Meh.

Usual stuff went- phone, laptop, tablet(expensive),handbag cash,sons wallet with Xmas money. OH's stuff upstairs including car keys. Meh.Am typing this on my kindle fire. Difficult. Still no one WS head hurt. Can't sleep though.

Gintot
    Originally posted by Gintotmelinda
    Hope they rot.... Many hugs
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 15,459 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Gintot
    Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad that no one was physically hurt but can understand why you can't sleep. The emotional impact this has had on you must be horrible. Please take care of yourself x
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 4th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 15,459 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    ... so Dad will be invited for Sunday lunch only from now on and we will see how things go.

...So I've had enough, I feel so down and I can't cope with anymore negativity. We have enough worries of our own with Mr Fix It's illness and only DD and family seem to understand ( or care ). .
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    Only having your dad over for Sunday lunch for the time being sounds like a good idea. His behaviour is clearly stressing you and Mr Fixit out.

I'm sorry that you feel so down at the moment. Too much negativity from people around you can really bring you down, I have had this in the past and know how draining it can be. Hopefully some time with your DGC tomorrow will help (hugs).
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 4th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 32,045 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Gintot - what a horrible thing to happen to you and your family, echoing Judi, hope that they rot. xx
    • karcher
    • By karcher 4th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    Gintot how awful, I'm not surprised you can't sleep
    • karcher
    • By karcher 4th Jan 18, 6:06 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    Afternoon all
    Not had a very good night's sleep due to a visit from Dad yesterday for his tea. All I shall say about that is **!**. Even Mr Fix It has had enough and he's very level headed and calm during stressful times but he's been pushed him over the edge too. Yesterday you could cut the atmosphere with a knife, so Dad will be invited for Sunday lunch only from now on and we will see how things go.
    So today we decided to go out for the day, called in the garden centre and had a coffee, then later went to the chippy for our tea, so no cooking required. Came home to find elderly neighbour on the doorstep complaining that her family were not talking to her etc. and would I go round. Er no, my lunch is in my hand getting cold. So I've had enough, I feel so down and I can't cope with anymore negativity. We have enough worries of our own with Mr Fix It's illness and only DD and family seem to understand ( or care ). Apologies for this post but it is making me feel a little better to get it off my chest IYSWIM.
    We have the DGC tomorrow for a sleep over, so if I'm MIA I'm still around, hopefully . I'll have been "ing" ing too much. Craft-ing, x box-ing, barbie-ing, bak-ing etc.... Funnily enough I'm really looking forward to a bit of happiness, because that's what they bring , no strings attached !

Speky I love a man with a well kept beard, Mr Fix It has has one for about 25 years.
    I love comps good luck with your visit tomorrow.
    NMLC thinking of your Mum
    Judi love the photo of your DGD.
    Hugs all round to you lovely, thoughtful people.
    Originally posted by nannywindow
    Nannywindow ((hugs)) for you, you deserve them and you look after you from now on xxx
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 4th Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 10,578 Posts
    • 115,878 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Some womanly advice, please. What's your thoughts on beards? Typically I'm close shaven, using an electric shaver machine thing, but during the time I was ill, I didn't have the energy to shave, and so I've grown a bit of a beard. This 3 weeks or so has been the longest I've ever went without shaving and not sure wither to keep it or not. Does it have a messy, dirty and unkempt connotation?
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead
    I'm afraid I have a serious dislike of facial hair; Mr LW has been informed that if he even thinks of growing a beard, I shall be removing it hair by hair with tweezers.
    Other than that have nothing exciting to report, Lulu has gone out to her paddock today for the first time in a week, goodness knows how excited she was! Am looking at a possible new home for her tomorrow and have another couple of the sidelines. Have ordered a calmer for her to make the move as easy as possible, I have also started taking Kalms
    Originally posted by LaineyT
    I hope you're able to sort out permanent housing for Lulu quickly; the stress isn't doing you any good by the sound of it, and if you're stressed, you can bet your boots she'll pick up on that and be stressed herself.

Gintot
    Utter scumbags; I hope their hands fall off. What a rotten start to the year.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 4th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 12,454 Posts
    • 40,159 Thanks
    Nelski
    Gintot thats awful I'm so sorry. Everything can be replaced of course but the sense of unease must be terrible. I hope they catch the thieving scumbags and that there was nothing sentimental taken.

nannywindow I'm feeling your pain hun ...enjoy your day with your little one you deserve it
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 4th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Thank you all for your support. You really are the best medicine for someone in the doldrums. Must keep telling myself " this too will pass ".
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Jan 18, 2:12 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 8,593 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger

Gintot
    Gintot,

There are some wicked people in the world - why do they feel the need to hurt other people - I think emotional & psychological pain is more difficult to cope with as you cannot defend yourself against it But so glad that no one was physically hurt.

I echo other posters sentiments “may they rot”

Sending you positive vibes & ((((hugs)))) if you want to accept them.

Also thanks for still thinking of others at this awful time.

Mrs SD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin