Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chezybezy
    • By chezybezy 3rd Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    • 145Posts
    • 18Thanks
    chezybezy
    rawl / wall plug purchase advice please?
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    rawl / wall plug purchase advice please? 3rd Jan 18 at 10:41 PM
    hi there,
    i am hoping someone can help me with this rather basic question.
    i picked up a packet of these:
    http://www.wilko.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0435416/0435416_l.jpg

from elsewhere, and they have been awesome for my needs. with the new house its rather guess work as to what i am going into and i feel quite confident using these as a novice DIY'er when it comes to plugs. the flush edge is nice esp on tiles too. i was concerned at the statement of "lightweight" but they seem to be ok with what i have done so far *shrug*

i have used the 6mm ones in the pack and am needing more however i can not seem to purchase these seperatly. when i look online they appear different or not multipurpose. can someone please advise?

normally i would order online and would be grateful for any advice or links, but would someone be kind enough to also explain what i am looking for in a shop?

I am currently putting up some fairly heavy blinds and would love to carry on in the morning rather than wait for delivery. I do have a local builders shop which i will nip to in the morning but i am unsure what to look / ask for. I suspect they may only have those single material ones, and they didn't seem overly chatty when i last went in.

Many thanks
    - Chez
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 3rd Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 1,851 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    These look very similar to Rawl!!!8217;s 4All plugs which I have used. I can only find a mention of the Rawl In One on the US website so maybe they are imported?

Try searching for 4All. They are blue and will take fairly sizeable loads. Relatively speaking, they are !!!8220;lightweight!!!8221; fixings compared to heavy duty fixings like shield bolts, anchors and resin bonded fixings etc. but they should be suitable for most DIY tasks.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 3rd Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:44 PM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MULTI-PURPOSE-GENUINE-RAWLPLUG-RAWL/dp/B00JKIVO08
    • chezybezy
    • By chezybezy 4th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    chezybezy
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    These look very similar to Rawl’s 4All plugs which I have used. I can only find a mention of the Rawl In One on the US website so maybe they are imported?

Try searching for 4All. They are blue and will take fairly sizeable loads. Relatively speaking, they are “lightweight” fixings compared to heavy duty fixings like shield bolts, anchors and resin bonded fixings etc. but they should be suitable for most DIY tasks.
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer
    Thank you very much, sadly no where local has anything other than the smooth "cheap / traditional" style. Have located some of these blue ones to be delivered tomorrow. May I ask, can the screws be shorter in the plug, or should they really be the "right" length as these seem 40mm and I've used 30mm ones.
    Thankyou also for kindly explaining the lightweight element. That makes perfect sense and puts my mind at rest. I can't believe I didn't think of it that way.

Ah ha! Awesome, ordered so I'll have them in.
    - Chez
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

173Posts Today

1,538Users online

Martin's Twitter