Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 3rd Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 3,286Posts
    • 8,944Thanks
    nimbo
    Stash Busting 2018 - I WILL use my mountains of craft stash before buying more!
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    Stash Busting 2018 - I WILL use my mountains of craft stash before buying more! 3rd Jan 18 at 8:41 PM
    Hi crafters,

Using the concept from the 2017 thread (and going back as far as 2014 I think...) - originally set up by 'Crafting Mad' - this is hopefully to keep us all on track - and to help us all workour way through our crazy big stashes...

Welcome to the new 2018 stash busters thread.

You can find the 2016 thread here:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5386359

and the 2017 thread here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5580023

Well done to all the crafters who took part in 2017. Everyone was amazing and the thread helped so many people that hopefully 2018 can be the same.

For those of you who are new here are a quick recap of the (very loose) rules:-

The rules of the challenge are simple.

You can make anything you like but everything you make must be made using items from your current stash.

You are allowed to print things from cds etc and print any photos etc which may be needed for scrap booking pages but you must not buy any new stash until your target has been met (except for if it is something to enable you to finish of a project such as adhesive etc).

However this challenge is just for fun so if you do sin (and I'm sure there will be many - with me at the top of the list!!) then post for forgiveness and keep creating and having fun xxx

So who's with me this year? Tell me your target and you'll be added to the list Old and new members are welcomed alike

Anyone can join in at any time

Happy stash busting

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
Page 5
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 3rd Sep 18, 11:42 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    Hi all.

Numbers so far -

Mrs money penny - 52
    Crafting mad - 346 / 600
    Rosie 51 - 19
    Magical - 16/ 35
    Bit by bit - 1
    Nimbo - 53 / 500
    Vulpix - 7/28
    PenniB -

I have been really slack. Not made much. However I have big plans for this week.

I need to sort out my craft room and get my sewing machine out.

I have caved and bought some stash. I planned to go to the knit and stitch show last November and due to work couldn’t make it. So at the quilting show this August I had managed to save a rather large amount of money. (I save all £5 notes that I get. Thought this would be a couple of hundred a year. Some weeks it can be nearly £200. I probably need to rethink this moving forward). - Including ticket and food as well as travel I spent less than £100. I then rediverted some of the rest of the money onto a new Washing machine as our old one had died a death.

I intend to at least start making the quilt of my dreams. I will count each block as one as I don’t think I can wait until I have made the whole king size to add one to my total. As I go along I will also be making some little bits such as bunting I intend to make some for Christmas stocking stuffers.

I used to post some pics through photo bucket. But now you have to pay for that service. I think you may be able to post links to Facebook? I’m Not really sure that’s safe / appropriate though????

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 3rd Sep 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    Woo hoo. I have completed three things today.

Cut up an old dress of which I really loved the fabric but I this no longer wearable.

Completed one sashiko embroidery sampler.

https://i2.wp.com/www.sydneyrosedesigns.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/IMG_2225_2.jpg

It is this pattern. I have however used white / cream thread. I have a few others and am hoping to make them into a wall hanging of some description when completed.

I have also cleared one surface of craft still while looking for my car keys. Small win. Hahah.

• vulpix
    • By vulpix 4th Sep 18, 11:35 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    I love sashiko. I was talking to an old lady at craft club and I said some fabric reminded me of that Japanese embroidery but couldn't remember the name. She could,Sudoku. Close.lol.

Someone on another thread gave me instructions of how to post pics and i did write it down but never tried it.I will see if I can find it and have a go.

nimbo,the quilt of your dreams,please tell us all about it.

I have been very rash and booked a table at a craft fair.I have never done one before. Yikes. I do have a fair bit of knitting done and a couple of patchwork cushions. I have started to knit a baby hat today,a white polar bear hat with ears.Done nothing with the cardigan I started. I have however done a fair bit of clothes remodeling which sadly doesn't use up stash apart from thread.

7/28
    Last edited by vulpix; 05-09-2018 at 9:28 PM.
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 5th Sep 18, 11:27 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    I want to make a massive king sized string quilt in rainbow colours.

I have been collecting the fabric for some time now. I’m hesitant to start as I’m anxious about trying to quilt something so big on a domestic machine. But I have also figured it’s going to be some time before I get even near that stage so should just jump in.

I have managed to finish off three little things and threw away one bag of crud from my craft room. I have packed up a large bag to take to a charity shop. I will count that as destashed only when dropped off.

Total up to 60.

When is the craft fayre?

I’m off to continue to tidying of my craft room. Woo hoo.

• nimbo
    • By nimbo 5th Sep 18, 6:27 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    I have spent my day making a mess. Woo hoo.

I have declutterwd two boxes full of junk. I have filled another black sack and have made over 100 embellishments. (I got bored of counting at just over 90).

103 things destashed today.

163 total. Woo hoo.

I have also donated a fleece blanket to the cat rather then chuck it ( I had planned to use it i a quilt back but I think the fabric lacks stability and would distort a quilt). He is currently showing no interest in it. I have one similar and he lives that one. Haha. Hey ho. Randomly he also ignored the empty boxes. He must not be feeling well.

• vulpix
    • By vulpix 5th Sep 18, 9:34 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    Very, very impressive nimbo.What are the embelishments? I went to a quilt exhibition last year in Penrith.There were some stunning string quilts.

The craft fair is 22nd September.

I have finished the cute polar bear hat today and also knitted 2 chunky bobble hats.I have not done ANY house cleaning whatsoever! It is desperate. I will have to do some in the morning.Some of craft coven coming round in the afternoon.

10/28
    Last edited by vulpix; 05-09-2018 at 9:36 PM.
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 10th Sep 18, 3:54 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    The embellishments are paper for junk journals.

Today I have been rearranging my craft room.

I have managed all by myself to move a huge unit filled with stuff and stack the landing with more of my craft stuff. My partner will be thrilled when he gets home.

I have gone off on a side bar to arrange a back for some shelves. So I have deconstructed a bathroom cabinet to reuse the back board. This was an ‘in case’ cabinet I bought ages ago at a car boot sale. I will need to trim this and then add a small section to the top to make it the right size and then cover in wall paper to make it pretty.

So I am adding two to my total so far. I will add more when this is finished.

165/ 500.

• nimbo
    • By nimbo 10th Sep 18, 5:53 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    I have now papered the board. Woo hoo. It’s nearly killed my back. Used one wall paper sample and therefore adding another 1 to my total.

Shame I don't add extra points for the number of injuries and lingering pain. Haha.

One staple and one splinter when rescuing the board from the bathroom cabinet and now the back.

I’m glad I’ve got rid of the cabinet I have been worried that the mirrors were going to get broken in the shed and this has removed the worry of this. As I have had to use a piece of thick card at the top of this board it is currently under some folders to stop the top section curling.

I have had a quick look round for some panel pins and haven’t found any. I am now a little worried I may have to buy some to put the back on. Which would be a shame - I will have one more loom and then will have to do it.

There will be more rearranging but I think the gathering of boxes will make this much quicker rather than stacking lots on the landing and moving small amounts at a time.

Another rubbish sack removed from the craft room too. The cat is getting increasingly upset with me as i clear the floor and I have now removed the blanket that he had claimed as his own that was in the room. He’s going to be even more upset when I start closing the door to him. Hahahahaha.

167 / 500.

• vulpix
    • By vulpix 10th Sep 18, 10:17 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    Poor Tiddles,they don't like change,nor do husbands in my experience!

I have a complete tip all over the house atm. I have so many projects on the go but have just abandoned them to do stuff for the craft fair. In the kitchen I have a scandi type round table and four chairs to do up for my daughters new house.(been given these,just need to sand them and wax,hours of work)Also have a vintage teak record cabinate to do up for my son for Christmas.

The sitting room has all the craft fair makes and supplies piled in a corner and our bedroom has all the stuff I got out of the loft yesterday to display the craft stall goods on.A vintage suitcase,a childs easel,an old bird cage,baskets,etc.The landing has table cloths,labels,tissue paper etc from some drawers there. I think if I had a craft room everything SHOULD in theory be contained.

Tommorow I will tidy up,put some things I wont use back in the loft and put all the fair stuff in one place.

Baby blanket finished today.

11/28
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 11th Sep 18, 7:57 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    I'm having a clear out in my craft room too, trouble is I won't get rid of anything lol. I'm getting a bit short of storage space for everything so there's a lot still on the worktops. Nowhere to put anymore drawers cupboards now.
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 11th Sep 18, 10:10 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    Iím not a hoarder but my ever growing craft stash is getting out of hand now. I too thought a craft room would make me tidier and would contain my stuff. It doesnít. I want to watch tv and so I do something downstairs then more gets added. Iím having a determined reorganise and tidy up so I have a working space that isnít covered in piles of stuff.

Iím having to get rid of stuff. Itís getting to the point Iím overfaced with too much and not using anything. Iím not being rash. Just thinning the beard.

Today I have added two to the list. Still reorganising. I finished the shelves too.

I need to figure what I want / need from a sewing table and how best to sort this for myself. I currently have an industrial sewing machine which doesnít work - not sure if I can or if I want to adapt the table from this. Not adapting this would mean I need to spend money. But I think adapting it may be a messy way to do it and could lead to damaging my sewing machine. Itís a tough one. What I want to make is this:

http://www.makeithandmade.com/2013/11/easy-diy-ikea-sewing-table-hack.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&u tm_campaign=Feed:+MakeItHandmade+(Make+it+Handmade )&m=1

I hope youíve all been fine today and busy. Xx

169 / 500

• Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 12th Sep 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    My hubby made me a lovely sewing machine table years ago - just like the old Singer ones. When we moved here he took it to pieces because he had converted one of the bedrooms to a craft room for me. We used the old kitchen units on two walls (painted in pink and blue lol) so I had a nice run of worktop. On the wall by the window he put a lower worktop using the drawers from the sewing machine table he had taken apart and a leg for the other end. It is table height so I am able to sit on a normal chair and use the sewing machines there. Works well but I rarely use the machines these days.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 13th Sep 18, 9:58 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    waterlily,that sounds ideal,and what a clever husband.Mine can't hang a picture.Well he can but he doesn't like it !

I have had to stop knitting.I had a fall last year and had whiplash which the Physio sorted.I have had a shoulder problem ever since and went back to phsio to be told I have a torn rotator cuff.Excersises so far are promising.I have turned my attentions to other makes for the craft fair.Nothing completed yet,lots half made.

11/28
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 14th Sep 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    Well so far this week I have bought two tables and four chairs. For £27.99

None are yet collected.

This will Mean I can replace the awful dining room table that was a charity shop buy when I moved here years ago.

I have also shipped out two chairs to my mum so that’s two gone down.

I haven’t bought the correct design of table to sink my machine into - but I loved this table and it was a bargain.

I have done nothing today except feel sorry for myself and cuddle a hot water bottle.

I hope you’ve all been more productive than me. Xx

• nimbo
    • By nimbo 15th Sep 18, 10:13 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    Well after my day of being ill yesterday I have been full of beans today.

I am sorting out my craft room. Every drawer, bag and box is being sorted out. I still have a way to go and my new to me sewing table to collect tomorrow morning. However it is looking good. (Well if you don’t look at the craft table which I still need to sort out haha).

I have thrown away another black sack of rubbish. - this is not all craft stuff some of it is packaging etc or storage that is damaged etc. The rooom is like a Tupperware cupboard all Lids no matching tubs.

I have one bag of stuff left in my bedroom to bring down from my Christmas stocking and birthday etc. And one cupboard to sort out as well as the desk.

I have a bag to take to my mil as well as another for charity. I’ve been brutal beautiful storage tins that just aren’t the right size and shape to use I have packed for the charity shop. I currently
    Have a box of boxes that I have kept but there will be a cull before the end of this process.

I am intending to photograph and try to sell some bits but the things that are small and faffy are going to the charity shop. It’s a good cause and I don’t want to be bogged down with too much clutter.

It will be amazing when it is finished.

173 / 500 as a total so far. More to go tomorrow. I will beat this and have a usable room.

Also the barrel for brewing is currently sterilising as I will be starting my yearly brewing fest soon. I intend to go picking some bits this week. Yay. We need to use a load of fruit up from the feeezee. Thag will be fun. We’re having a serious clear out before we start the cooking.

• nimbo
    • By nimbo 16th Sep 18, 10:32 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    I’ve had a packed day.

I collected a table for my craft room - technically against the no craft buying - however this week I have bought two tables and 4 chairs for 28.00. So an absolute bargain. The other table and table chairs are for the dining room.

It won’t have a sink In Sewing machine as it’s the wrong design I can however add a sewing extension table to the list of things I dream about making instead. To be fair this table is much too nice looking to cut up.

This has then meant I have disposed of 5 chairs I needed to sand paint and recover. Yay. They were going to kill me.

I need to get another 2 chairs to the tip but I couldn’t fit them all in the car at once.

I have them completed 24 stuffed envelopes for a Christmas themed swap I will be doing. - which is kind of a cheat. Because as I destash I then get sent an stuffed envelope for me so it then rebuilds the stash. They are being given an envelope for each day of December before Christmas. Yay.

I was however strong. I resisted the craft stuff at Aldi. I have all that I need for now and more. Haha.

I have yet to take the stuff to the mil or the charity shop it’s on the list for tomorrow. I’m expecting parcels to be delivered Tuesday so will try to stay in all day in case they’re delivered. They’re not yet counted as destashed.

We have collected jars from mil for the chutneying and jamming that will commence. We have yet to go picking. I did but my partner some figs for his mother’s fave chutney as they were on offer at Aldi.

202 / 500 so far.

• vulpix
    • By vulpix 17th Sep 18, 10:49 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    nimbo you are on fire.

I joined this thread to get some of my stash used but am now going to count 4 items made for the craft fair.Making craft fair things has replaced makes for myself at the moment.I have however used some ribbon and brown paper from stash.

I have spent about 2 hours sanding ONE table leg!!!!!!!!!!!

15/28
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 19th Sep 18, 2:54 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 8,944 Thanks
    nimbo
    I hate sanding. It will be worth while when it comes to finish though. Have you got any further? Is it just the table you need to sand?

I’ve spent the day watching YouTube videos and not physically doing anything crafty. Hey ho I now have plans to use us some poor quality fabric strips making a quilted jelly roll rug...

• vulpix
    • By vulpix 19th Sep 18, 6:55 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    vulpix
    Just 3 more legs and the table top to sand!There is no chance of the chairs being done,although I may recover the seats at some point in the future.

12 more items finished for the craft fair using up brown paper,pompoms and googly eyes.I did have to buy more glue and pipe cleaners though.

I have laid out my "stall" on the sittingroom floor,it looks ok.I was worried that it would just look unprofessional and a mish mash.I am not going to make much more now,just finish off some half made things.

I have done a small amount of knitting and made my shoulder hurt.Knitting is my new favourite thing too

I have been asked by a friend of a friend to make her a quilt.I don't know what she has in mind yet.I may machine it if I can.I have also rashly told a friend I will make her 2 pairs of curtains. I need to keep my mouth shut.

27/28
    Last edited by vulpix; Today at 6:56 AM. Reason: total
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,255Posts Today

8,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin