Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Essjay1994
    • By Essjay1994 3rd Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Essjay1994
    Bank wants information to send to HMRC
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    Bank wants information to send to HMRC 3rd Jan 18 at 4:16 PM
    My UK bank has written to ask me for information including my NI number and personal information, so that they can send it to HMRC.
    This is because I currently live overseas.
    I get that they are obliged to tell HMRC of any customers that live overseas, to assist with identifying those who might be trying to avoid paying taxes, and I see no reason why they shouldn't share the information that they do have on me (which includes my overseas address).
    However, I am concerned about sending them any more personal information than I have to - far too many banks have been hacked. On what authority are they collecting this information?

I have a Government Gateway Account, and I already submit details to HMRC, pay my NI payments etc, so its not as if I am hiding.

Am I obliged to provide additional personal information to my bank?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 20,321 Posts
    • 16,070 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    Am I obliged to provide additional personal information to my bank?
    Originally posted by Essjay1994
    Whether you are obliged to or not, if you don't do it I think you might well find that your account will be closed.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 5,190 Posts
    • 6,994 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    Concerned about your NINO being hacked through your bank yet happy to let them handle your money? Id struggle to give them that reason with a straight face.
    Don't be angry!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 3rd Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 9,188 Posts
    • 13,328 Thanks
    meer53
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    You're not obliged to give them any info, just like they're not obliged to provide you with a bank account.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 3rd Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    18cc
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    As others have said it is straightforward to contact your bank and tell them you are not providing the info and ask them to close the account.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 3rd Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 3rd Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    All banks are now required to collect this information under the Common Reporting Standard legislation, so you're not being singled out and it isn't just your bank doing this. As mentioned above, if you don't trust your bank with your NINO, why on Earth are you letting them look after your money?
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 3rd Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 24,867 Posts
    • 12,053 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    As others have said it is straightforward to contact your bank and tell them you are not providing the info and ask them to close the account.
    Originally posted by 18cc
    The problem then will be that the new bank will require the same details
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    TheBanker
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 6th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    The problem then will be that the new bank will require the same details
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    The bigger problem will be that, unless the balances are significant, the new bank may well simply decline to open an account for a non UK resident. My bank will allow existing customers who move off-shore to keep their accounts, but will only open new accounts for off-shore residents via the off-shore branch which requires a minimum balance of 250k.
    Make 10 a day challenge: Jan-18: 330 / 400
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,911Posts Today

8,958Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin