Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wolvesfan1234
    • By Wolvesfan1234 3rd Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Wolvesfan1234
    Lloyds bank paying in policy
    • 3rd Jan 18, 3:50 PM
    Lloyds bank paying in policy 3rd Jan 18 at 3:50 PM
    I went to pay in to a friends account at the counter and the cashier said I could only use the instant paying in machine as it was now Lloyd's bank policy to not let non account holders to use the counter.

I have done it many times at Lloyd's with no issue.

Is this true or just an attempt to drive people away from counters
Page 1
    • soshesays
    • By soshesays 3rd Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    soshesays
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    ours won't let anyone use the counter unless they have coinage.
    way to go ... remove more jobs.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 3rd Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    Yep, it's my understanding that all the high street banks are moving away from unidentified deposits, mainly for money laundering and anti-terrorism reasons. The policy of only offering counter services to customers existed before this of course but will be enforced a lot more zealously now.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 3rd Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3,585 Posts
    • 2,275 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    Yep, it's my understanding that all the high street banks are moving away from unidentified deposits, mainly for money laundering and anti-terrorism reasons. The policy of only offering counter services to customers existed before this of course but will be enforced a lot more zealously now.
    Originally posted by Flobberchops
    The automated deposit machines have been updated to allow the sort code and account number to be keyed manually (i.e. no card required). Suggests this is down to cost cutting, rather than money laundering reasons.

• MABLE
    • By MABLE 4th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    MABLE
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:00 AM
    I used one of the those auto machines to pay £3,000 in cash. Despite two of us checking the amount before paying in their system credited £3,020. If this is the way forward and works in my favour then I'm all for it.
    • forestwn6
    • By forestwn6 4th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    forestwn6
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    Paying in at Lloyds
    • 4th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    Our local Lloyds has now closed, and the nearest branch 4mls away has recently had a makeover. A friend went to pay cash into a charity account. He was refused on the basis that it would delay other customers. After summoning the Manager they reluctantly allowed him to pay in on this occasion. In the future, he is expected to put the money into a "paying in bag" and the bank will count the money and credit it to the account.
    As this is a charity account he needs to know that the amount is correct at the time of paying in.
    We are now thinking about changing banks to one where personal service still counts. Are we being too hopeful?
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 4th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    tastyhog
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    I used one of the those auto machines to pay £3,000 in cash. Despite two of us checking the amount before paying in their system credited £3,020. If this is the way forward and works in my favour then I'm all for it.
    Originally posted by MABLE

if it can over count it can under count, a banking machine should be 100% reliable with no margin of error.
    • IanManc
    • By IanManc 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 886 Thanks
    IanManc
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    If I pay something in at the bank I want to be able to leave afterwards knowing that it is all sorted and finished with. What I don't want is to put something into a machine and then leave hoping that it will all be ok.
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 4th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 4,355 Posts
    • 14,911 Thanks
    Westie983
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 4th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    If I pay something in at the bank I want to be able to leave afterwards knowing that it is all sorted and finished with. What I don't want is to put something into a machine and then leave hoping that it will all be ok.
    Originally posted by IanManc
    An option is to use the paying in machine, then use the cashpoint to get a balance if its your account.

I think they are reducing the cover on the counter and the machine is supposed to be quicker then standing in a queue of people who want small or odd withdrawals, or have coins, those customers who cant use the paying in machine.

Dont forget the paying in machine is immediate, but the envelope system is not, so you will know before you leave that the money is in the account, if you use the machine and you get a receipt of payment.

IDM's are balanced and counted each day.

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (£25,000)+£10,000/£12,000 = 83.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (£410) + £40/£500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 £1 a Day #2 Total £62.59/£365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total £900/£1,000 = 90.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (£1,500)+-480/£2,000 = 51.00%

Total £12,022.59/£15,865 = 75.78%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Jan 18, 12:19 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    if it can over count it can under count, a banking machine should be 100% reliable with no margin of error.
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    Has there ever been a machine made with no margin for error?
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 4th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    Originally posted by IanManc
    Absolutely and unfortunately I find these days I canít trust things to be done properly without looking over their shoulder.

Actually I very seldom pay cash into the bank, but if it is necessary for any reason, I always pay money in at the counter and get a receipt.
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • Missus Hyde
    • By Missus Hyde 4th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Missus Hyde
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Even in Star Trek it wasnít successful!
    It's a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known........Sydney Carton.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 4th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    The automated deposit machines have been updated to allow the sort code and account number to be keyed manually (i.e. no card required). Suggests this is down to cost cutting, rather than money laundering reasons.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    It could be a transitional step rather than a permanent solution; I'm not sure what Lloyd's strategy is. Cost cutting as you put it is surely a consideration, but other benefits to the bank include reduced queue times for customers and the associated improved customer satisfaction scores, greater transparency in the source of funds if an account is implicated in organised crime or terrorism, and reducing the prevalence of some kinds of fraud.

Certainly the other high street banks are going down the route of asking for identification to make deposits - NatWest some time ago, and Barclays is also making that change, for example.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 4th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Has there ever been a cashier with no margin of error, for that matter? There's always scope for mistakes to happen, and generally the more steps in a process, the more chances for things to go wrong. You'd think this would be a strong argument for most people transacting digitally and getting instant confirmation of transactions...!
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 4th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 1,897 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Our local Lloyds has now closed, and the nearest branch 4mls away has recently had a makeover. A friend went to pay cash into a charity account. He was refused on the basis that it would delay other customers. After summoning the Manager they reluctantly allowed him to pay in on this occasion. In the future, he is expected to put the money into a "paying in bag" and the bank will count the money and credit it to the account.
    As this is a charity account he needs to know that the amount is correct at the time of paying in.
    We are now thinking about changing banks to one where personal service still counts. Are we being too hopeful?
    Originally posted by forestwn6
    None of this encourages me to bank with Lloyds.
    • No_6
    • By No_6 4th Jan 18, 9:51 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    No_6
    Just hope Mable wont get caught in money laundering
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin