Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 3rd Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 393Posts
    • 653Thanks
    Storm89
    2 years to smash the debt !
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    2 years to smash the debt ! 3rd Jan 18 at 2:45 PM
    I'm starting a new diary because I didn't keep my last one up and I'm feeling rubbish about not paying off as much as I had wanted. My last target was to be debt free by the summer of 2020 but I'm determined to set a new target of December 2019. Taking it a year at a time though, so aiming for debt to be 10k by December and savings to be 3k (currently have no savings at all). I need to do this for my kids, I wish I could give them experiences and not have to cut back so much because of the silly mess we're in.

As it stands the debt is
    Credit Card 1 - 6,330.83 0% ends in March
    Credit Card 2- 7,660.01 0% ends in November
    Credit Card 3- 1,873.59 0% ends in June
    Total - 16,027.43
    I need to figure out how to start shifting some of that debt onto other 0% cards soon I just don't know how to go about it. A card we have with zero balance has offered us 0% for 12 months and the amount we could transfer is around 5100 so not enough to cover the card that's up in March. So I'm not sure what to do really about this. I'm considering getting another 0% card but worry we won't get accepted.
    We're a family of 4 with a 7 year old and 4 year old and income from all sources is

Outgoings are

It gives us a surplus of 1299.38. I don't want to put it all on the debt but we're setting aside 500 a month for that. I've also created some savings accounts on my mobile banking that I've named and decided to set aside each month:
    General Savings - 250
    Very- 100
    Clothes- 40
    Center Parcs- 100
    Christmas and Birthdays- 100
    Anything we manage to save on top of this will pay off debt
    Having no savings in 2017 meant I had to use Very to buy things we needed. A hoover, pushchair, washing machine etc. We now have a balance of 1000 on there that's interest free as long as I pay within 12 months of when we purchased the items. I should count this in my total debt but it's too depressing to do so and I'll be paying it off anyway

I've booked us a little holiday at Center Parcs for October half term. We've not been away at all last year and won't be going anywhere else until then , I just felt that I wanted to get the balance between paying off debt and having a little treat. I'll be using this thread to write my ramblings even if nobody reads it !
    Last edited by Storm89; 03-01-2018 at 2:51 PM.
Page 20
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 14th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Storm89
    Went to subway last night - 15 whoops.
    Husband and son have their hair cuts today so around 20 for that. We're also doing the shopping today instead of Monday this week so will update what we spent on that. Hope everyone has a good weekend
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 14th Apr 18, 5:07 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Storm89
    Spent 80 on the shopping but we got loads of stuff. Way more than usual . Loads of extra fruit and salad plus lots of sweets and chocolate for the kids for watching a film tonight. We don't usually pop out for anything in the week - even bread and milk cos I buy enough for the week and freeze bread. I'm really pleased with that for the amount we got. I had budgeted 75 but going over by a fiver has got me loads more food than I expected anyway. We're having pork mustard and cider stew with jacket potatoes for tea , the stew has been in the slow cooker all day I am starving !
    We're going to watch my dad run a half marathon tomorrow and taking a packed lunch so we don't spend any money on food.
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 15th Apr 18, 7:38 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Storm89
    Half marathon day today. Won't spend any money because we got petrol yesterday & I'm doing us a packed lunch. When we get to the middle of the month, I find myself willing it to be the end so I can see where my finances are haha.
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 16th Apr 18, 7:36 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Storm89
    About halfway through the month now. I am now estimating about 200 in general savings by the end of the month. It changes often because of having to pop out for stuff during the week and how much I spend on weekly shopping etc. I think from now on I will keep the diary up to date with every penny spent like when I first started. Today will most likely be a no spend day like yesterday.
    Happy Monday !
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 16th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    fatrab
    Last week I went back to the start and re-read my own diary and also my first thread on the DFW forum. I had to go back to basics. As the plan evolves it's hard to remember what you said you were going to do last week never mind 4 months ago!

Hope all is well
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 11lb lost so far
    April's Goals - 15/21 NSD - 15/20 Lunches - 20/28 AFD - 21/31 TAFD (take away free days)
    31 x 2 coins (#32)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 16th Apr 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    JoJoC
    How did your dad get on in the half marathon? Your stew sounds delicious! Hope it was worth the wait
    CC1: 4601.14/ 5031.14 (10% paid off, 480) | CC2:3407/ 3807 (12% paid off, 450) | Loan: 10,788.72/ 15,000((28% paid off, 4211.28))

July debt total: 23,838.14 | New debt total: 18,796.86 | Total debt paid: 5,141.28 (22%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 17th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Storm89
    Hi jojo my dad did really well, he didn't beat his time from last year but he's pleased because he had a leg and foot injury so did well considering. He's never doing it again though he says he's too old haha - he retires in January. He ran for charity so people donated money and he got 335 on his just giving page so he is pleased with that. It was The National Autistic Society that he ran for which is obviously close to our hearts.
    I've received the (not so)wonderful news that our water bill is going up to 40.40 a month ! Also yesterday was not a NSD and we spent 20 on a new iron and a lunch box from sainsburys. Lunch box is so my husband can take healthy lunches to work and not eat crap because he has started slimming world. The iron is because I felt that we needed a cheap one for everytime my expensive steam iron packs in. I'm sending my iron off to Philips today so hopefully it won't take long to fix. Today will be a NSD !
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 18th Apr 18, 7:10 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Storm89
    Good Morning.
    Yesterday was a NSD as predicted thankfully. Today should also be a NSD as there's nothing to creep up on us. The direct debits have gone out for both the Barclaycard and Sainsbury's but the virgin Atlantic doesn't go out until 27th April. It's quite deceiving this time of the month when I check the current account, I have to make sure I take 200 off the figure because it still hasn't gone out towards the debt. I've put all the money into the little savings pots apart from general savings because we're just going to see what's left.
    Speaking of Virgin Atlantic, my husband has 94k airmiles from using that credit card over the past couple of years and I have 20k from flights and using Shops Away. When we finally go back to Disney World I'm hoping to have saved enough to knock a good chunk off our flights ... make getting into this debt mess worth something!
    Halfway through the week now guys , hope you all have a good day .
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 18th Apr 18, 7:25 AM
    • 393 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Storm89
    Good Morning.
    Yesterday was a NSD as predicted thankfully. Today should also be a NSD as there's nothing to creep up on us. The direct debits have gone out for both the Barclaycard and Sainsbury's but the virgin Atlantic doesn't go out until 27th April. It's quite deceiving this time of the month when I check the current account, I have to make sure I take 200 off the figure because it still hasn't gone out towards the debt. I've put all the money into the little savings pots apart from general savings because we're just going to see what's left.
    Speaking of Virgin Atlantic, my husband has 94k airmiles from using that credit card over the past couple of years and I have 20k from flights and using Shops Away. When we finally go back to Disney World I'm hoping to have saved enough to knock a good chunk off our flights ... make getting into this debt mess worth something!
    Halfway through the week now guys , hope you all have a good day .
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 18th Apr 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow - well done to your dad! Fab that he's still so fit and active at his age, and nice to see he's doing it for a charity close to your hearts. I'd be lucky to make it through a 5k never mind a half marathon!

Annoying about the increase in water rates. Our water is included in council tax here so don't know exactly how the split works out, but our council tax went up by 10p/m this year (another rise!!) so I feel your pain. Will stuff just stop increasing in price please!!

Awesome about the air miles - hopefully that'll help with future holiday planning
    CC1: 4601.14/ 5031.14 (10% paid off, 480) | CC2:3407/ 3807 (12% paid off, 450) | Loan: 10,788.72/ 15,000((28% paid off, 4211.28))

July debt total: 23,838.14 | New debt total: 18,796.86 | Total debt paid: 5,141.28 (22%)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 18th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,658 Posts
    • 6,043 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow - well done to your dad! Fab that he's still so fit and active at his age, and nice to see he's doing it for a charity close to your hearts. I'd be lucky to make it through a 5k never mind a half marathon!

Annoying about the increase in water rates. Our water is included in council tax here so don't know exactly how the split works out, but our council tax went up by 10p/m this year (another rise!!) so I feel your pain. Will stuff just stop increasing in price please!!

Awesome about the air miles - hopefully that'll help with future holiday planning

• Storm89
    • By Storm89 21st Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    Storm89
    Have been absent from the diary for a few days. Have been too busy spending money and enjoying the sunshine. I've fallen off the wagon & been spending money on food & the like so I don't think my savings will be anywhere near what I expected. Ugh I do feel rubbish about it but can't waste time hating myself, moving on !
    I've had my washing out these past few days it's been lovely. I hope the nice weather lasts. I've bought the kids some summer shoes , my son some joggers and myself some flip flops and sunglasses because I had neither. These were from Next on my account & some of it was purchased after the statement date so I only need to pay 20 in May and the rest in June. This will come out of the clothes fund I've been saving for which is great we've been McDonald's a couple of times so that's where we've slipped a bit too. The main thing to me is we keep paying down 500 a month and keep saving for the things we know are coming up , plus try and get an emergency fund built up. We've got our birthdays next month so will probably get some money for those.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,540Users online

Martin's Twitter