Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 3rd Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 517Posts
    • 1,326Thanks
    Storm89
    2 years to smash the debt !
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    2 years to smash the debt ! 3rd Jan 18 at 2:45 PM
    I'm starting a new diary because I didn't keep my last one up and I'm feeling rubbish about not paying off as much as I had wanted. My last target was to be debt free by the summer of 2020 but I'm determined to set a new target of December 2019. Taking it a year at a time though, so aiming for debt to be 10k by December and savings to be 3k (currently have no savings at all). I need to do this for my kids, I wish I could give them experiences and not have to cut back so much because of the silly mess we're in.

As it stands the debt is
    Credit Card 1 - 6,330.83 0% ends in March
    Credit Card 2- 7,660.01 0% ends in November
    Credit Card 3- 1,873.59 0% ends in June
    Total - 16,027.43
    I need to figure out how to start shifting some of that debt onto other 0% cards soon I just don't know how to go about it. A card we have with zero balance has offered us 0% for 12 months and the amount we could transfer is around 5100 so not enough to cover the card that's up in March. So I'm not sure what to do really about this. I'm considering getting another 0% card but worry we won't get accepted.
    We're a family of 4 with a 7 year old and 4 year old and income from all sources is

Outgoings are

It gives us a surplus of 1299.38. I don't want to put it all on the debt but we're setting aside 500 a month for that. I've also created some savings accounts on my mobile banking that I've named and decided to set aside each month:
    General Savings - 250
    Very- 100
    Clothes- 40
    Center Parcs- 100
    Christmas and Birthdays- 100
    Anything we manage to save on top of this will pay off debt
    Having no savings in 2017 meant I had to use Very to buy things we needed. A hoover, pushchair, washing machine etc. We now have a balance of 1000 on there that's interest free as long as I pay within 12 months of when we purchased the items. I should count this in my total debt but it's too depressing to do so and I'll be paying it off anyway

I've booked us a little holiday at Center Parcs for October half term. We've not been away at all last year and won't be going anywhere else until then , I just felt that I wanted to get the balance between paying off debt and having a little treat. I'll be using this thread to write my ramblings even if nobody reads it !
    Last edited by Storm89; 03-01-2018 at 2:51 PM.
Page 13
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 4th Feb 18, 7:25 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Storm89
    I suppose needing a uniform in sixth form could work out as a good thing if you don't have to buy tons of clothes. You've done so well for the shoes it must be such an expensive outlay with all the kids. I am going to look online in the sale & decide if I want to buy something now or wait until the spring. My daughter has gone up a size but my son has only gone up half a size so I'm hoping he can stay in his current school shoes until the end of the school year.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 4th Feb 18, 7:34 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 3,137 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Yes the school she is at the moment is business clothes in the sixth form but it is unlikely she will go there as they aren't doing languages. So instead she has an offer from the local grammar school which hopefully she will get the grades for. I have looked and basically she will need a blazer, tie and skirts from their official uniform but she can wear ordinary shirts. I will probably get her a few more shirts but they also have a second hand uniform shop so I will be looking there. It is a boys grammar school that accept girls in sixth form so the blazers and skirts shouldn't be too bad second hand. If not it's not a lot to buy really.

Yes with all my kids it normally costs a fortune in clothes and shoes, so anything I can get cheaper I will do! My youngest boy is also getting some clothes for his birthday at the end of this month so they will come out of the present fund instead of the clothes fund!

Hopefully you might find something in the sales. My son's canvas shoes were reduced to 7 from 24 so they should do him for the summer. I haven't looked online but I think I am done for shoes for now!
    Total debt Dec 2017 23090.83
    Ma7 2018 3691.78 84.01% paid
    Emergency fund 150/600
    Total Savings 1328.05
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 4th Feb 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 6,822 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Wow - you have some job on your hands getting shoes for all your kids! I find it expensive enough buying for 2.

Between having shoes for nursery, shoes for day to day (kept nicer than the nursery ones) and wellies when his feet are growing rapidly that's expensive enough.

Then we have school shoes, indoor shoes for school, trainers for outdoor gym, trainers for day to day at home and wellies for my oldest son.

They both also have a pair of snow boots each for the pretty horrendous weather we get here sometimes!

Anyway, all that rambling just to agree that shoes are expensive!!
    CC1: 4481.14/ 5031.14 (12% paid off, 600) | CC2:3307/ 3807 (14.4% paid off, 550) | Loan: 10,528.20/ 15,792.30((33% paid off, 5,264))

July debt total: 24,630.44 | New debt total: 18,316.34 | Total debt paid: 6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 4th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Storm89
    Sunday 4th February
    Haha jojo I get what you mean though - I would love to get mine snow boots I always feel that weather creeps up on us & we never seem prepared in the UK do we.
    Today we went to the farm & had such an amazing time. We took a packed lunch for dinner & then I'm just doing sausage and meatball marinara subs for tea. We bought 2 pots of animal feed which was 1 a pot (still have about 1/3 left in each pot so now we will know that one pot is sufficient). Had to draw a tenner out though because the minimum spend on card was 5 and we had no change. I'll save the remaining 8 for next week or anytime we need change. We had to pop out and get Light bulbs as they all seem to have blown at once so that was 2.50. Today was also petrol day and we put 22 in. I am still checking the accounts daily & working out how much we have left for the rest of the month.
    I'm going to do chocolate chip cookies for after the subs & then later tonight I need to write out my shopping list for tomorrow. I'm using week 1 of the savvy shoppers meal plans but I think this week will be quite expensive. Ive got to get washing powder & conditioner & all those little bits of things that add up. It won't go over 75 though which is the main thing.
    Last edited by Storm89; 05-02-2018 at 9:52 AM.
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 5th Feb 18, 3:12 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Storm89
    Monday 5th February

I'm feeling so poorly today. Aching all over & my throat is killing me. Just generally feeling like poo & wish I could climb into bed. I'm stocked up on pain killers & cough sweets but it's threatening to turn worse I can feel it.
    Took my daughter to the hairdressers today for her very first haircut at the grand age of 4 and a half. She looks adorable & I've got some of her curls in an envelope.
    Shopping day & I spent 80. I'm surprised but not too surprised. I had loads of extras to buy plus I ended up treating my daughter a bit because she did so well at the hairdressers. I went for week 4 from the savvy shopper in the end so meals for the week are
    Monday - butternut squash risotto
    Tuesday - Toad in the hole
    Wednesday - Moroccan chickpea curry
    Thursday- sundried tomato , spinach and goats cheese spaghetti
    Friday - red pesto, sundried tomato, feta and cashew nut pizza with homemade wedges
    Saturday- cashew chicken stir fry
    Sunday- cauliflower cheese with a kick

I've bought some face wax strips from home bargains because I'm reducing my beauty budget. 99p for a pack of wax strips so we shall see how they go - it's only for my moustache haha.
    If I'm at deaths door tomorrow I might not update haha but we will see. Maybe a good night's sleep will be all that's needed.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 5th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 6,822 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Sorry to hear you're poorly, but hopefully it goes as quickly as it arrived on the scene!

Your meal plan sounds absolutely delicious - particularly the pizza...yum.

Glad your daughter did well with the hair cut. I always think my sons age about 3 years with every hair cut!
    CC1: 4481.14/ 5031.14 (12% paid off, 600) | CC2:3307/ 3807 (14.4% paid off, 550) | Loan: 10,528.20/ 15,792.30((33% paid off, 5,264))

July debt total: 24,630.44 | New debt total: 18,316.34 | Total debt paid: 6,414.10 (26%)
    • Choccygirl123
    • By Choccygirl123 5th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Choccygirl123
    There is so much still doing the rounds. Our youngest spent the night in bed with me as hubby away with work. She could not sleep so was restless all night. Her glands and tonsils are huge so she had a day off in bed. I went to work and left her home alone for 3hours. She is a sensible one, but still feel guilty.

Hope you are feeling better soon storm - i hear cake is the best cure especially if a nice homemade lemon drizzle.
    Always counting down to pay day, but making baby steps getting life on track! Looking forward to cracking the debt once and for all.
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 6th Feb 18, 9:48 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Storm89
    Haha jojo I think the same when my son goes. My daughter has mega curly hair she has a little bob now she looks really European lol. Oh choccy sorry about your daughter , hope she's feeling better now? A lovely friend has offered to take my son to school this morning so I've only got to do the playgroup run. I am still struggling but it hasn't turned into anything worse like it was threatening to. I went to bed same time as the kids and will probably do the same today . Today will be a NSD & so will the rest of the week probably until Sunday when it's petrol day. We're going back to the farm this weekend to do a few things we missed. Animal handling clashed with pony grooming so we want to go and do the pony grooming . Plus we didn't do the tractor ride because my son doesn't like when they shout at the scarecrow (he is aspergers and quite sensitive to sound) so I will take my daughter on there. It's funny because they both have their own little quirks . Just with sounds for example , DD hates dogs barking & was hysterical at the hand driers in the toilets at the farm, yet she loves fireworks and discos. My son hates the latter so they're like chalk & cheese in that sense.
    I'm so fed up of waking up to frost & snow & can't wait for the weather to pick up.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 6th Feb 18, 11:18 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 6,822 Thanks
    JoJoC
    I feel the same about the weather - thick layer of snow outside my house this morning. I don't mind a few days of snow, though, as long as it isn't getting in the way of me doing what I need to do.

Glad you're not in the depths of illness, although it was kind of your friend to help out to lessen the load. My MIL has my son until lunchtime today so that I can crack on with some work this morning since he's off school. She starts work just after lunch so it's nice to have half a day of peace and quiet.

Hope your NSDs go to plan!

• fatrab
    • By fatrab 6th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Some lovely snow up here this morning, spotted a herd of deer & stag who had come down off the mountains. Must have been about 60-70 of them!

I made the Thai Chicken Noodle Broth last night and have to say it was tremendous. That cook book is fantastic. I haven't even been on the website yet!

Hope all is well & you're feeling better
    You can have results or excuses, but not both - Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022
    June's targets - Be 15st by end of month, 19/30 AFDs
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 6,607 Posts
    • 13,897 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Sorry you not well. I have just counted about 5 flakes of snow but really sunny and bright here but still cold. I live in the south west though so we tend to escape the worst of the snow.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 7th Feb 18, 12:16 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    Storm89
    Wednesday 7th February
    Fatrab that sounds lovely seeing the deer & stag. I agree the cookbook is amazing it's like my bible. I can't think for myself so the blog is great cos it has shopping lists linked to the meal plans. Enthusiastic you're lucky escaping the snow , JoJo I don't mind a bit of snow either but hate when it grinds everything to a halt. It can snow as much as it likes at Christmas though- would love a white Christmas.
    I haven't updated for a couple of days because I've not been brilliant. I fell and hit my head on Sunday & my feeling poorly started the next day so I associated my headaches as part of the flu type virus whatever it was. Anyway I was treating it myself with ibuprofen (apparently should have been paracetemol after googling) but was doing pre school run yesterday & felt loads of pressure in my head and the headache didn't seem to go and still hasn't. We ended up in a&e but were told 3 hour wait for a doctor. An hour into the wait my daughter had a huge meltdown so I just self discharged. I'm hoping it will pass on its own now because I don't want to repeat that - paid 3 for parking just for a jaunt out to a waiting room lol. I am hoping it's just a bit of concussion coupled with the fact I'm a bit unwell anyway.
    Last night we had toad in the hole with carrots and gravy (was supposed to do roast potatoes as well but we were rushed to get off to hospital). I am trying to spend the day resting but can't actually sleep because I have DD with me, have called her in sick at playgroup. Having Moroccan chickpea curry tonight & will see how I feel about baking anything. Hope everyone is having a good frugal February
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 7th Feb 18, 12:28 PM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Doesn't sound like you're having a great time at all just now. You really should go see about the bump, just to be safe. I'm being a hypocrite of course, as bits actually need to be hanging off before I'll even go to a doctor!

Hope you feel better soon
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 6,822 Thanks
    JoJoC
    You should definitely get checked out Storm - even just at your GP - just to make sure everything is ok. Try to take it easy as much as possible so that you can recover, easier said than done with kids about, i know.

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    • 6,607 Posts
    • 13,897 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Can you maybe ring your doctor re the headaches and explain you fell and knocked your head? I think I would be tempted to get it checked out but after my son in law ended up almost dying after what he thought was flu I am a bit over cautious about health at the moment. Can your OH stay with your daughter or someone else keep an eye on her?

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 7th Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 11,574 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Phone 111 and see if they can offer any help. You really should see a doctor after banging your head and getting a headache.

I ended up in hospital for 2 days this week , only at the insistence of my family.
    CC1 3475 May 2018
    • IrisViolet
    • By IrisViolet 9th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    IrisViolet
    Hope all is ok xx
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 9th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 852 Posts
    • 2,236 Thanks
    fatrab
    Hope all is ok xx
    Originally posted by IrisViolet
    Yeah me too. Not heard from you in a few days. Hope you're ok
    39 x 2 coins (#32)
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 9th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 6,822 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Another one just stopping by to make sure you're ok. I hope the head is in recovery and you're just busy with the kids and nothing more sinister.

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 9th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 6,607 Posts
    • 13,897 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Another one popping in to see how you are Storm. Hope you feeling better.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,620Posts Today

4,514Users online

Martin's Twitter