Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ForcedToCreateAccount
    • By ForcedToCreateAccount 3rd Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ForcedToCreateAccount
    Restaurant service charge automatically added to bill
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    Restaurant service charge automatically added to bill 3rd Jan 18 at 2:18 PM
    I've noticed that Yo Sushi in Birmingham Selfridges automatically adds a 10% service charge to the bill. This has happened to me a couple of times there and nothing about it was mentioned by the staff.

I haven't had this elsewhere.

Has anyone else had this in restaurants? Is it even legitimate??
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    If it's not already mentioned (e.g. on the menu) that they'll do this then you can legally ask for the service charge to be removed - you didn't agree to it pre-contract therefore they can't unilaterally add it post-contract.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 5th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    MobileSaver
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    automatically adds a 10% service charge to the bill.

Has anyone else had this in restaurants?
    Originally posted by ForcedToCreateAccount
    A brand new Italian restaurant in my town did this so I simply never ate there again. A year later I noticed they'd gone out of business...
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • Matt Jones
    • By Matt Jones 5th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Matt Jones
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 8:57 AM
    I've had this happen to me a few times and every time I question it with the bill. Most places remain stubborn about it but I managed to talk/annoy one place into removing it. Try your luck, they might get rid of it if you point out that there was no mention of it on the menu or when you ordered.
    • ForcedToCreateAccount
    • By ForcedToCreateAccount 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ForcedToCreateAccount
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:03 AM
    The thing is, I'd be too shy/embarrassed to ask them to remove it lol. I might e-mail a complaint to them.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 5th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    Try your luck, they might get rid of it if you point out that there was no mention of it on the menu or when you ordered.
    Originally posted by Matt Jones
    There's no "might" about it ... if there was no mention of it prior to ordering (pre-contract agreement) then they cannot add it to the bill after the meal is complete (post-contract). The consumer is only legally liable for what was agreed pre-contract.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Matt Jones
    • By Matt Jones 5th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Matt Jones
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    The thing is, I'd be too shy/embarrassed to ask them to remove it lol. I might e-mail a complaint to them.
    That's what they're banking on.
    There's no "might" about it ... if there was no mention of it prior to ordering (pre-contract agreement) then they cannot add it to the bill after the meal is complete (post-contract). The consumer is only legally liable for what was agreed pre-contract.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Sadly that doesn't stop everyone from being an insistent about it and playing a game of who blinks first with you.
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 5th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 579 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    This is becoming quite common in restaurants and is often "hidden" in small font somewhere on the menu. Having read the menu, I suppose this constitutes an acceptance of the service charge costs. Though if I was not happy with the service I would certainly make it known when presented with the bill or even before.
    • takman
    • By takman 5th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    takman
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 5th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    If there was extra items of food/drink on the bill that you didn't order would you still be too shy/embarrassed to question it?
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 5th Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    • 121 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    I hate it when they add it on automatically,.. much prefer when they hand you the pay machine and it comes up with 'Do you want to add gratuity?',.. much better,

I remember the funniest place i went was some 'trendy' bar somewhere in London years ago for a quick drink while waiting for the theater,

First time round a waitress came to the table and we ordered 2 drinks, mine was just a beer in the bottle,.. had a (large) tip added to the bill,. thought oh well table service, in London only having one,

Then as my wife still had some left and still 20mins to go thought id have another, no sign of the waitress so went up to the bar myself, the bar tender literally took a bottle of beer out of the fridge right next to him (he didn't even have to move his feet), then took the top off and passed it to me. Then gave me the bill with gratuity added again, !
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 5th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    Actually I like it when they do it, saves me faffing for extra money for a tip or trying to work out if the card machine allows me to add a tip.
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 5th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    Actually I like it when they do it, saves me faffing for extra money for a tip or trying to work out if the card machine allows me to add a tip.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    Well I like my tip to be reflective of the service I feel I received, and being added automatically to me is them assuming I think it was great, they may as well forget the automatic tip and just increase all their prices by 10 %
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 5th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 12,439 Posts
    • 9,744 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Well I like my tip to be reflective of the service I feel I received, and being added automatically to me is them assuming I think it was great, they may as well forget the automatic tip and just increase all their prices by 10 %
    Originally posted by thebigstillmeister
    Which is exactly what they should be doing if its unavoidable.

If its a service charge applied only to groups over a certain size, thats fine. But they can't have a discretionary charge that is added by default due to the rules on additional payments under a contract. Nor should they have a blanket 10% surcharge added to everyone due to rules on being told total price inclusive of any fees or taxes and also that its likely to mislead customers.

I mean if you can't avoid paying it, then it should be included in the base price.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 5th Jan 18, 11:40 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    I always ask them to remove the service charge, then tip as normal (if applicable).
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 5th Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    That's what they're banking on.

Sadly that doesn't stop everyone from being an insistent about it and playing a game of who blinks first with you.
    Originally posted by Matt Jones
    Hand them payment totalling what it should be and invite them to pursue you for the balance

It's never happened to me - if its been added no-one has ever refused to remove it - but I can't wait for the day it does. That'll be fun.
    • sharpe106
    • By sharpe106 10th Jan 18, 3:58 AM
    • 343 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    sharpe106
    Personally I dislike a service charge and do not tip unless they have gone above and beyond what is expected, i.e more then bringing me my meal which I have paid for. I am paying a service charge in the price I am paying for the meal. I do not tip the server at Tesco or the newsagent. When I order online I do not tip the picker at amazon so why tip a restaurant server who is doing the job they are being paid for.

Unfortunately though if the menu clearly said you had to pay it then there is nothing you can really do about, except not go back, which I would be doing.
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    • 13,181 Posts
    • 8,734 Thanks
    photome
    Originally posted by DoaM
    It does say on the menu that all prices are subject to a 10% service charge

taken from bottom of yo sushi selfridges birmingham menu

yosushi.com/nutrition
    for full allergen and nutritional info, or ask a YO! Team member.
    Please note that our recipes can change occasionally so it!!!8217;s always best to check with your server.
    All prices subject to 10% service charge.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 10th Jan 18, 6:56 AM
    • 9,823 Posts
    • 7,914 Thanks
    prowla
    I generally give a 10% tip if I am happy with the service, but I ask who it goes to; if it is to the restaurant then I don't give it/ask for it to be removed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

2,016Users online

Martin's Twitter