Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 3rd Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 937Posts
    • 8,962Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    365 a year challenge
    • 3rd Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    365 a year challenge 3rd Jan 18 at 1:07 PM
    Moved house late last year and was actually shocked at the amount of household items i had stashed ,even after throwing loads away i have several years worth of certain products (where dates don't matter so much)

So this year i aim to try and live on an average of 1 a day for all food, household items such as cleaning products and smellies.

This doesn't include vouchers earned from surveys or cashback sites etc . I'm pretty lazy with this so cant see it making that much of a difference

I'm thinking i might also include new clothes ,books ,all entertainment items . I don't buy much . I have amazon prime until June - at which point need to decide if it is worthwhile - i use kindle unlimited ,amazon music and some prime tv quite frequently but there are cheaper options..
    I'm also going to try an be healthy within this so i need to make an effort to try and target supermarkets when they have reductions on.

Jan 18
    Food cupboards/fridges inventorys have been done - i have more than enough food to last the month . I just have to buy things like milk and fresh produce/any yellow labled bargains i happen to see. I have enough supermarkets close enough to be worthwhile checking .Just need to figure out reducing times!

cleaning -enough to last several months. Might need toilet paper at end of the month

beauty- nothing needed ! (that's a challenge by itself)

Anyone wants to join in feel free. I was inspired by these live below the line challenges i have done in the past . Over the years ive read so many frugal books etc thought it was time i should give it a go. shame we don't have extreme couponing like the usa - i would aim for a free year lol

I'm always happy to try new things/recipes so cheap suggestions are welcome.

updates - going to try updating at least once a week - maybe a Monday as this seems like my day off

good websites/blogs
    thriftylesley
    cookingonabootstrap
    cheap-family-recipes.org
    mrs frugalwoods
    www.supercook.com/#/recipes - put i ingrediants and it gives recipes
    Last edited by ma-ri-ella; 03-02-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: more info
    91.50365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty
    20,000 step a day challenge
Page 7
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 13th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    got the voucher :P will do a trip to Tesco later to use

Will take a look at the thread - I don't normally have that much waste tbh although i do have some small bits i don't know what to cook with

walked right past the reduced section at work eventhough there was cheese reduced to 20p!! fighting urge to go back in to stockpile.... i do not need i do not need.
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 15th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Day 1 of lent but day 3 of not buying . I did take advantage of the free pizza though - was quite yummy but came with hassle of daring to use a voucher in my local asda.. I must admit might have bought stuff if the reduced section looked good but there was only really reduced bakery items - i defo don't need those!
    so working next 3 days so breakfast each day will be different flavours of porridge . i have pasta made up for next 2 days lunches and there are baked tatties in fridge for next 2 nights dinner - beans ,cheese or tuna. Snack wise i have plenty of crisps (2p a packet) or protein bars,rice cakes etc), Kinda meal planned into next week as well but will see how the weekend goes - i have problems saying no to yellow stickers :P Next week i plan to use up quite a bit of freezer items- i don't actually stockpile those that much or have that big a freezer space. Then i need to work on tins and cereal. There isn't as much overtime at work so if i need to eat cereal for 2 meals a day then that's the case . A few things like porridge oats i can get away with not using milk so might focus on them
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    Sorted out some more of my food stores and won't need my second shop of the month until next Tuesday at least so I am very pleased with how its going.Luckily I have had several dinners out so not had to use a great deal at home Tonight's meal is a veggie curry from my freezer made before Christmas with lots of bendy veg great way to use it up if not making soup with it. Still wading through the Christmas pantone I found that slicing a bit at a time off and using custard to top it is fine I have also used a bit in a jelly to make trifle with. Blooming thing was enormous though,yet as the top has a wire seal its kept soft and fresh with no problem at all. Frugal February marches onwards
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals 31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    Got home late from DDs last night so I had an omelette instead so tonight's meal will be the veggie curry I didn't eat last night

very pleased with how cutting back on shopping is keeping my budget on track, plus I am using up some of the food mountain indoors
    Running total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals 31.11 freezer and tinned cupboards are going down nicely
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 18th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    total for year now 84.97
    spent 3.99 yesterday
    3.87 was on dinner - Chinese meal. salted caramel brownie with custard and a cheap bottle lambrini - in the past i would spend more on a takeaway and still want a pudding/bottle of wine
    the other 12p was on bread for upcoming week and a pack of doughnuts. Still quite happy considering ive been including everything in my spending (not set bills like rent /utilities tho )
    So this is one of my 6 spend days used up. Down to about 5 litres of milk eek.

Watching extreme couponers well jelous :P
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 21st Feb 18, 3:34 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    2 spend day used up - 6.53 spent at work after discount including

2xbiscuit boxes were 3 down to 1.50 - 1.35 after discount. One will do part of mothers day present lol if i keep away from it

special k 750g was 3 now 30p!! x2 (27p after discount)
    stir fry 13p x2 -serves 4
    steak was 6.98 now 22p etc

Really don't know what my obsession with cereal is - could eat it every meal lol. Have a few freezer things i need to figure out what t do with
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 22nd Feb 18, 9:46 AM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    Small piece of gammon cooked and five portions wrapped in cling film and in the freezer and the other portion I had with two poached eggs on top and a few mushrooms for dinner last night
    So six building blocks for meals made from a 2.45 piece of gammon from Aldi's. very happy with that

Tonight it will be a piece of chicken from the freezer cooked in foil in my remoska with mash from the freezer and the end bit of my sweetheart cabbage from the fridge.

Juggled my meal menu a bit this week for variety but happy that I need no more shopping this month .

February's totals are 30.49

Combined totals for this year Jan -Feb are 59.71 for combined days 59

Just a fraction over the pound per day, but I am quite pleased with that

Onward to March

JackieO xx
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 27th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Doing quite well with the spends - 1.40 to add for frozen fruit etc but that's not too bad
    menu plans done uo to the end of next week, only spends i might have are milk

made quite a few items out of cupboard and freezer :P
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    because of the heavy snow where I live in Kent I have no choice but to stay indoors for the next few days ,luckily I have more than enough stuff to eat from my stores so I won't starve Definitely no more shopping for me until the white stuff has gone I use a stick to walk with and tumbling around on icy surfaces is just plain daft, and at my age my bone will break more easily. The NHS has more than enough to cope with without silly old women breaking their hips
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 4th Mar 18, 9:19 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Had a few unplanned spends - its too wet/windy/icy to make the trip home for lunch so have been eating out canteen - least its quite cheap
    Also done quite well for super cheap fruit and veg /salads so my freezer is quite full of healthy stuff - i just don't have a lot of "nibbles" if you get what i mean

Bargains from the other day
    3x mango @5p each
    2x rainbow salad bowls @5p each
    2x baked tattes (2 in pack) 6p each

The on;y thing planned for this week is a sandwich tin to make quiche
    flour/cheese for quiche - my reason for this is i have 10 eggs needing used up and 2 packets of bacon

Mondays meal plan
    breakfast - porridge - 6p
    lunch (at work) cut up mango with some other fruit out freezer approx. 10p
    tea - last of hm soup from last week .last of cous cous/quorn dish . last of jelly puddings . soup mix was 22p and split into 3. s0 7p. cous cous was 5p and split into 3. 1/3 packet quorn was 30p ==55p?== jelly was an extra in an asda delivery

Off Tuesday so will probably meal plan then . Friend coming over for dinner aswell so i don't always like to force yellow stickers on them
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Mar 18, 7:51 AM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning ,well as I have been marooned at home for a week I have been living from my store cupboards and they still seem to be full nothing needed so far this month but probably by the end of the week perhaps I may need a small shop.I have done quite a bit of baking so the tins are pretty full. At the moment on my shopping list is only flour kitchen roll and mushroom, which I can streetch the existing stocks to for a bit longer I think.

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 06-03-2018 at 9:23 AM.
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 5th Mar 18, 9:19 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Good morning ,well as I have been marooned at home for a week I have been living from my store cupboards and they still seem to be full nothing needed so far this month but probably by the end of the week perhaps I amy need a small shop.I have done quite a bit of baking so the tins are pretty full. At the moment on my shopping list is only flour kitchen roll and mushroom, which I can streetch the existing stocks to for a bit longer I think.

JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    I'm almost at the 5 month mark for where i live . Moved in with nothing because i didn't want the argument of whos baking dish is whos , so ive only bought the 1 pyrex dish so far. Morries have some nice metal tins at 2/3 each (half price) .ive been dping so much more cooking /baking then i did before so think would be a good investment . Don't want to be cluttered tho and i plan to move when i find something cheaper xx
    well done on not spending. I think i would make do so much more if i didn't work at a supermarket!!
    maybe if i get another flat and have a move day that will help a run down the hoard mentality
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 14th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    not posted in awhile ! the spends have been a lot higher than expected due to the bad weather period- not being able to get to/from work as easy so eating at work which was out of budget. also not going yellow sticker shopping due to the bad weather,ive had the odd thing but not been doing the rounds!!
    So forward planning March /April - it looks like work might not have so much overtime because its not a popular holiday time . I'm also pondering moving somewhere cheaper - the only thing with this is i would need to buy some furniture. - bed and a fridge lol the place has a cooker. I think i might keep looking for part furnished so the places have at least white goods

So working all day tomorrow
    breakfast - porridge or Weetabix - approx. 10p (think was less for both options)
    lunch- pasta or soup - the friend gave me the sauce so only cost of pasta- very low. soup option 10p for half
    break - belvita bscuit - i got these as a packet of 5 for 35p so 5p
    dinner - the option i don't pick for lunch

Friday - i am on a late so break and lunch at home, same as Thursday really

out all day Saturday - unsure possibly on the go for lunch. I have fully stocked cupboards . I think i should
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 14th Mar 18, 10:30 PM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 20,709 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Can't you take a packed meal to work? Lots of people on a strict budget do this. In fact, lots who aren't do as well!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 15th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 4,002 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    avogadro
    Fascinating thread. I do admire anybody who can live on so little.

Just a heads-up that we might have more snow and cold weather coming, if the met. weather forecast is anything to go by. We're due some snow and freezing temperatures at the weekend, apparently.
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 21st Mar 18, 2:25 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Can't you take a packed meal to work? Lots of people on a strict budget do this. In fact, lots who aren't do as well!
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    i tend to eat like soup or other things that heat up = microwave st work doesn't work well!!

I also prefer to leave the building so I'm not tempted by the staff canteen!! . Its cheap but eaten at home even cheaper.

Not had much to report - hoping to move soon so trying to use up freezer /fridge /all items so less to carry into nre place
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Mar 18, 6:15 PM
    • 15,885 Posts
    • 134,642 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yay I got my treat today using my Christmas cash and bught a Pressure King Pro cooker and just unwrapped it, and am sitting thinking of all the lovely meals I can make with it.

Bargain price of just over 45 for the three litre one, and I have lots of casserole type meat in the freezer to use up, and looking at the cookery booklet it can cook a rice pud in 12 minutes

I am really looking forward to having my new toy to play with over the coming months. No food shopping needed at all this week
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 26th Mar 18, 9:23 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    So quite a big shop today
    total before multibuys was 88.15
    after was 81.41
    work have double discount this week so 16.28 discount
    paid 65.13 = this includes a 20 amazon voucher
    45.13 - 15 was stuff for mum
    so say 30 for shopping and i bought 2x2pack pillows for 12 so 18 for shopping

away to move into a place that's unfurnished so the amazon voucher will get me a toaster and kettle (the ones i like are cheapest on amazon anyway so the 20% is a bonus plus the loyalty points for buying the giftcard ) . I might buy some other bits just whilst the 20% off offer is on at work but at stage i might also need to buy some larger white goods as the ones in property might not work (no gurantees as renting as unfurnished )

18 to add to shopping isn't bad . Ive been really good at running stock down - fridge is empty apart from milk and butter, Freezer was topped up today but not sure if i will have a working one in new place so will run it down easy before i move. I also bought some cupboard treats like custard etc. beem a thrifty month!!
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 10th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Not posted in ages!!

Took part in lent which went really well. Going to take a break from posting - I'm doing well sticking to under 1 per day but i feel I'm just posting the same things .reduced stickers, shopping apps,coupons etc . I'm a member of grocery challenge and the love food hate waste so see how it will go. I'm also considering vlogging instead and incoperating a slimming world what i eat on under 7 a week
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

440Posts Today

5,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin