Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 3rd Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 937Posts
    • 8,962Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    365 a year challenge
    • 3rd Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    365 a year challenge 3rd Jan 18 at 1:07 PM
    Moved house late last year and was actually shocked at the amount of household items i had stashed ,even after throwing loads away i have several years worth of certain products (where dates don't matter so much)

So this year i aim to try and live on an average of 1 a day for all food, household items such as cleaning products and smellies.

This doesn't include vouchers earned from surveys or cashback sites etc . I'm pretty lazy with this so cant see it making that much of a difference

I'm thinking i might also include new clothes ,books ,all entertainment items . I don't buy much . I have amazon prime until June - at which point need to decide if it is worthwhile - i use kindle unlimited ,amazon music and some prime tv quite frequently but there are cheaper options..
    I'm also going to try an be healthy within this so i need to make an effort to try and target supermarkets when they have reductions on.

Jan 18
    Food cupboards/fridges inventorys have been done - i have more than enough food to last the month . I just have to buy things like milk and fresh produce/any yellow labled bargains i happen to see. I have enough supermarkets close enough to be worthwhile checking .Just need to figure out reducing times!

cleaning -enough to last several months. Might need toilet paper at end of the month

beauty- nothing needed ! (that's a challenge by itself)

Anyone wants to join in feel free. I was inspired by these live below the line challenges i have done in the past . Over the years ive read so many frugal books etc thought it was time i should give it a go. shame we don't have extreme couponing like the usa - i would aim for a free year lol

I'm always happy to try new things/recipes so cheap suggestions are welcome.

updates - going to try updating at least once a week - maybe a Monday as this seems like my day off

good websites/blogs
    thriftylesley
    cookingonabootstrap
    cheap-family-recipes.org
    mrs frugalwoods
    www.supercook.com/#/recipes - put i ingrediants and it gives recipes
    Last edited by ma-ri-ella; 03-02-2018 at 10:15 PM. Reason: more info
    91.50365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty
    20,000 step a day challenge
Page 6
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 31st Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Day 5 no spend but planning yellow sticker trips after work. I have a free bag of mcains peri peri fries through cashback so going to asda- the cashback app always pays back really quickly to paypal. I do always include the total to start with then when it goes into paypal that's my emergency fund money - otherwise known as etsy lol.

Made up a pasta dish .
    90p- sausage cost . tin of tomatoes 25p pasta-not sure was value range - would say around 1.20 - 1.30 cost altotgher .serves 4 -30pish per serving . Only thing is will be eating it for days :P

Breakfast wise - working through the cereals that are open plus the "free" muller corners - a little scared to step on the scales to be honest .work clothes still fit

Happy no spending everyone !
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 1st Feb 18, 7:59 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Hello lovely people. I have had a few s[ends the last few days but bargains galore lol

i got 2x4pint milk for 7p each =14p
    i spent 98p on 2 cartons of longlife milk which I'm hoping to just need 1 a week and find yellow stickers as top up.
    i spent 32p after discount on 2x steak pies (meant to be 3 each ) plus a 6 pack of rolls (meant to be 1 packet)
    One pie will go in freezer - i have a visitor next week so will make for him. the other will do tonights tea and tomorrows lunch. 2 of the rolls will do tomorrow for breakfast and 2 for dinner with the soup ive been saving . Will hopefully have a negative spend day soon - going to put the money from shopping apps back into bank account
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 2nd Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 15,816 Posts
    • 133,979 Thanks
    JackieO
    well done ma-ri-ella you are doing very well.Now the challenge is t stay away from shops as much as possible .I shan't go near a shop now until next Tuesday as I have more than enough to feed myself over the next few days
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Three months totals 96.53 April,Last shop of April bringing my totals for April to 29.71 very pleased as I was away for a week on holidayRunning total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 2nd Feb 18, 8:00 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    well done ma-ri-ella you are doing very well.Now the challenge is t stay away from shops as much as possible .I shan't go near a shop now until next Tuesday as I have more than enough to feed myself over the next few days
    Originally posted by JackieO
    its working in morrisons that does it. spent 2.73 today on just under 10 worth of stuff.

got some pain au chocolates - 6p and a lemon tart 6p - time of the month so a nice treat

Got a fancy version of wheat bisks- will get most of this back from cashback.Once that's received it will make serving cost 6.0odd pence

big pack of bacon from 5 reduced to 50p - will go in freezer and will make pasta dishes , the odd bacon sandwich and will give half to a friend so will help them out.
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 3rd Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    no spend day!! morries do have my coffee on offer tho so might buy a few...i quite like the satchets and they are currently 1.50 for 8 (so 1.35 after discount) . I like to drink these on shifts i get a 15m break(or longer breaks when i feel tierd but generally try sticking to herbal tea cause i have longer for it to cool down).work out 17p a drink which is high compared to instant but i no longer buy starbucks,costa or even greggs . I think maybe 2 boxes a month so might buy 4.

Other plans for Feb!
    moved a few frozen yellow stickers to 1 drawer in freezer so aim is to use up.
    Stuck the open cereals in 1 area so can target these first .
    Hopefully have at least 14 nsd with today being one :P
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 4th Feb 18, 11:09 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    so today had some spends - bought 2 packets of the coffee i like because it is half price. The yellow stickers of the day include 8p for tear and share garlic bread which was dinner and a fish i put in freezer ,not sure how to cook tbh!! . Wed will be my sit down and meal plan day - as well as add up the savings from reduced/what i have actually spent for this month so far plus around 12 as an in from money back from shopping apps.
    I think my ins for this week will be
    eggs
    fruit - most likely oranges/bananas
    vegetabable oil
    mullers at 12 for 3 = i got a lot of these free recently and have got quite addicted

The next time i see cartons of milk reduced will buy as many as can carry!! I have a lot of cereal/porridge/wheat bisks and i like them with milk

To stop major spends my debit card is out the purse and i just have an emergency 3 - the yellow sticker funds lol

Monday - will be at work over breakfast/lunch period . Might try porridge before i leave and on my 15 minute break i have a graze protein bite and some coffee
    dinner - i have half a carton soup plus a roll from weekend. If still hungry i should focus on the packet of bacon i have defrosted

Tuesday - toast and bacon (both yellow stickered products - i quite often get this high protein loaf for 8p - cant believe its supposed to be 1.20!!! i find the value range too stodgy)
    lunch - again the bread and bacon. I need to go to post office so will look into Tesco for reduced items.
    dinner - at work . Packet of crisps. reduced label if i get any or soup if i don't

wed- day off so will plan rest of week. Breakfast - toast and rest of 1stpack of bacon
    lunch-wheat bisks
    tea- soup
    will try and make this a herbal tea day so don't need much milk

thuur- porridge
    lunch - soup
    work 30m- graze protein square
    dinner - unsure
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Feb 18, 6:21 PM
    • 15,816 Posts
    • 133,979 Thanks
    JackieO
    Ist food shop for February, and spent a total of 12.44 on essential stuff only ,more than enough to tide me over for the next week at least as I am eating my freezer down.
    Three months totals 96.53 April,Last shop of April bringing my totals for April to 29.71 very pleased as I was away for a week on holidayRunning total for four months food only shopping =126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 6th Feb 18, 9:44 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    donnajt
    WOW Ma-ri-ella and JackieO I have thorougly enjoyed reading this thread and look forward to following your journeys x
    Slinkies 3st by summer (loss to date 10.5lbs)
    FlyMarketeers 1k by summer (sealed tin)
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 9th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    hello lovlies/!! have had a very stressful pig out/spend loads of money week!! i should literally buy nothing else for the month apart from fruit!! todays anther day and all that will see what happens !!
    Will start off with the good spendsing
    over 3 trips spent 12.89 at asda - used 18.79 worth of apg and reeived 12.32 of multibuy savings
    i got
    14 packets of porridge *around 14 servings)
    2x 6 pints of milk
    10x litre long life milk and random fruit/sweeties . I do enjoy having this for breakfasr and i have a variety of flavours aswell

3x 34p on crisps (60 packets) these are quavers and wotsits so work out at 2p per bag- still in date but need to watch i don't binge eat

few other things not food so can ignore for now. I mean it hasn't been horrendous. Ive managed to fight the urge to stock up on cheap lambrini and get drunk :P

If all goes back to normal then i really have enough to eat something for about 2 months solid.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Feb 18, 7:41 AM
    • 15,816 Posts
    • 133,979 Thanks
    JackieO
    Well done ma-ri-ella, now be firm, and stay away from the shops ,or at least leave your purse at home when you go to work

JackieO xx
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 11th Feb 18, 10:41 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    Nothing to report today !! i believe there is a good deal on yeo valley yougurts i might check out tomorrow

Tesco have these at 2.50 for a 4 pack
    There is a 1 off coupon in the Tesco magazine
    There is 1 back on clicksnap (up to 6 times)
    There is a 1 back on cos app (up to 6 times) I would count this as a 1.50 spend then the other 2 x1 as i get them as money back

Do not need but i do like overnight oats with fruit for breakfast

Other than that my meal plan for week is pretty sorted . Grapefruit/loads of different porridge flavours for breakfast/toast
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 12th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I'm not sure how all the vouchers and things work, but yogurts at 1.50 for more sounds like expensive food when you only have 1 per day for food. I make my own yogurt and it's the cost of the milk plus every 2-3 week I start with a fresh small pot for culture. Sometimes less often.

If I make it strained and thick, then I get about half as much, so half litre of yogurt for the price of the milk. It's deliciously mild. I am not contributing to one use plastics very much either.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 12th Feb 18, 1:03 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    I'm not sure how all the vouchers and things work, but yogurts at 1.50 for more sounds like expensive food when you only have 1 per day for food. I make my own yogurt and it's the cost of the milk plus every 2-3 week I start with a fresh small pot for culture. Sometimes less often.

If I make it strained and thick, then I get about half as much, so half litre of yogurt for the price of the milk. It's deliciously mild. I am not contributing to one use plastics very much either.
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    getting 2 cashback on the 1.50 spend makes it profit (just not initially) . I had a yougurt machine in past ,not sure if i stil have .Is there one you recommend ?
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 12th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    thinking i might try a no spend for the period of lent, There are actually 46 days to lent which allows 6 days break during the period. So i can have 6 emergency days for milk/fruit /veg. Not going to take the yougurt deal up and left my purse at home today aswell. Looking at things i might need over the 40 days but struggling. Milk is more than likely to be needed and possibly fresh fruit/veg. I don't have any cupboard essentials like eggs,herbs/flour/cooking oil . will need to make a new stock list !
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 12th Feb 18, 2:10 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    thinking i might try a no spend for the period of lent, There are actually 46 days to lent which allows 6 days break during the period. So i can have 6 emergency days for milk/fruit /veg. Not going to take the yougurt deal up and left my purse at home today aswell. Looking at things i might need over the 40 days but struggling. Milk is more than likely to be needed and possibly fresh fruit/veg. I don't have any cupboard essentials like eggs,herbs/flour/cooking oil . will need to make a new stock list !
    Originally posted by ma-ri-ella
    I think you might be like me in a way. I always feel I have to have everything on hand, whereas in reality, I only need to get some items in when I actually need them! e.g, if don't use many eggs, but always feel you have to have them in. It's when stuff gets wasted. I use lots of eggs and get fidgety when down to less than a dozen!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 12th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    People make yogurt in many different ways. When I worked in a boarding school, we used to leave a massive pan of milk in the drying room overnight. With a lid on of course!

I used to use a machine that took a litre in one big container. I tried an Easyjo but got rid of that, packs were expensive and it wasn't that successful.

Now I have an Instant pot which has a setting at the right temperature. People use flasks and all kinds of things to make their yogurt.

It's not the same as purchased yogurt, but the flavour of mine is superior to anything I can get in a shop. Texture is a bit different, but when strained to make greek is the same.
    • ma-ri-ella
    • By ma-ri-ella 12th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 8,962 Thanks
    ma-ri-ella
    I think you might be like me in a way. I always feel I have to have everything on hand, whereas in reality, I only need to get some items in when I actually need them! e.g, if don't use many eggs, but always feel you have to have them in. It's when stuff gets wasted. I use lots of eggs and get fidgety when down to less than a dozen!
    Originally posted by purpleivy
    Its something I'm hoping to address. I think for me i would say as a kid my mum was a single parent so we did struggle quite a bit - sometimes not eating herself so i like to stockpile everthing . I need to get into the habit that i don't do that . Its the needless worry that what if something happens (i went through a job loss last year) - filled up cupboards mean i don't worry about food.

My new aim is to get my stockpile down - i want to move somewhere smaller this year so less things to move with would be great

Strong mantras for the next 46 days (starts wed but don't think i am buying anything tomorrow)

DO I NEED IT/WANT IT. CAN I MAKE DO WITHOUT IT

i have the 6 days to work with which are for veg/fruit/healthy stuff which are preferably yellow stickered.

I don't have takeout/chippys really at all which is amazong since this used to be a big part of diet plus almost daily trips to bakers

I have been including new clothes in this but if i continue with weight loss might need to purchase a separate treat :P

Going to have a rake for possible yogurt maker in the cupboard x
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 12th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 3,378 Posts
    • 20,683 Thanks
    purpleivy
    Well, instead of purchasing food with your money and stockpiling the food, why not leave the money in a tin/bank account/purse, then it will be there for whatever you need, whether food, toiletries, emergency repairs or purchases. Then you have the choice about what you spend it on. If you are a person on your own, you can only eat so much before it goes off!

I was chatting to my daughter today and taking stuff off my Ocado order on the grounds that although I didn't have something in, (condensed milk) I didn't need to have it there, even though I have plans to make flapjack in the not too distant future. I don't HAVE to have it in the drawer waiting. I can leave it till another week. Then if plans change I can make something else and I'm not storing the condensed milk. Or I can get the condensed milk on the next order. Hoping for a fortnight or I suppose possibly 10 days. Trying to break the weekly habit!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Feb 18, 12:06 PM
    • 15,816 Posts
    • 133,979 Thanks
    JackieO
    Ma-ri-ella this time last year I started the Love Food, Hate Waste, thread as I had read online about a lady in one of the Scandinavian countries who, like me, thought about how much food was wasted/stockpiled etc. I decided that instead of being on autopilot when shopping I would cut down.back on my normal shopping and try to make things streetch out a bit longer.

I did this for the whole of Lent asnd made it my challenge.The surplus left over budgetted cash in the weeks that I did it was sent to the Trussell Trust to help the people who struggled to make ends meet .

Since than things have moved on apace, and we are now starting a second thread as the previous one finished .

I have stuck to the experience though and have found that I can usually manage to get most of my shopping for the month with 2-3 visits to the shops .I still have fairly full cupboards but they are slowly becoming less.My main aim at the moment is to reduce tha amount in my freezer and I now have a big of wriggle room in there

Listing the stuff you have helps no end, and even to getting next days stuff from the cupboard out and leaving in view ready to eat is good as well.

I menu plan every Sunday morning, so I know how many meals I need to cook that week.This week so far, I was out on Sunday for dinner and last night I used a birthday freebie voucher up for a pub meal so no cooking.

Tonight I am at a pub quiz so I get fed there, so no cooking tonight but I have Wednesday,Thursday, Friday and Saturday when I need to cook in the evening.so only four dinners to make, two of which will be previously batch cooked meals from the freezer (makes a bit more room )

I worked it out at the beginning of the month how many evening meals I had to cook in February and out of 28 days I had only 16 to make

Yes I am that organised . But its planning that helps, and by staying away from the shops, and using what you have it is an incentive to helping you streetch your cash out

JackieO xx
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 13th Feb 18, 12:49 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 9,829 Thanks
    donnajt
    dr oetker ristorante uk facebook page is giving away pizzas (I think its 1000 a day at different times) - if that helps?
    Slinkies 3st by summer (loss to date 10.5lbs)
    FlyMarketeers 1k by summer (sealed tin)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

741Posts Today

6,051Users online

Martin's Twitter