Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nethstar
    • By nethstar 3rd Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nethstar
    BT Charged Line Rental On Sky Owned Line
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    BT Charged Line Rental On Sky Owned Line 3rd Jan 18 at 10:40 AM
    I basically found out the other day that my Dad had been paying for BT Line rental for years - And we've been using Sky phone/Broadband for all those years, which also includes a line rental tied to Sky.

Basically, someone on the BT side, or Sky side messed up when transferring the Line rental information over from BT to Sky.

Besides cancelling the BT account, what more can I do to try and reclaim the costs spend on years of paying twice for Line rental?

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by nethstar; 03-01-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Page 1
    • littleboo
    • By littleboo 3rd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    littleboo
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    You need to find out who is actually providing the service, if its BT then you obviously don't want to cancel the account.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 3rd Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    What service/ line rental/ phone number are providing calls .
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 3rd Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    When your Dad became a Sky customer, did he get a ask for or had to accept 'new' number or was the existing BT number ported over from BT to the Sky phone service ?
    If it was a 'new' Sky number , it quite likely that Sky didn't order a migration of service, which includes letting the BT know to cease the BT service , but a new line, then there isn't any connection between the order of the new line and the cease of the old line, so if the customer (your Dad) doesn't inform BT themselves , to cease the BT service then BT continue to believe the BT line is required, even if the customer can now only use the new Sky service.

If Sky didn't let BT know, then BT haven't done anything wrong, and getting any sort of refund would be unlikely (but nothing to stop you asking) , if Sky did advise BT , then obviously BT should have issued a final bill shortly after the Sky service started...they will probably try to blame each other....the phone number now on he line may be he best way of deciding who was really to blame.

FWIW, if your Dads current phone number isn't the 'old' BT number, but he got a 'new' phone number when joining Sky, then almost certainly Sky are at fault because they ordered a new line and not a migration of the BT service, if they did say to your Dad, 'don't forget to tell BT' , and he didn't tell BT, then the fault is with and your Dad...obviously if he did tell BT , and BT didn't act on that instruction, then it's BT at fault, but why did he not notice BT were still sending out bills ?
    Last edited by iniltous; 03-01-2018 at 4:55 PM.
    • nethstar
    • By nethstar 4th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nethstar
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 9:36 PM
    When your Dad became a Sky customer, did he get a ask for or had to accept 'new' number or was the existing BT number ported over from BT to the Sky phone service ?
    If it was a 'new' Sky number , it quite likely that Sky didn't order a migration of service, which includes letting the BT know to cease the BT service , but a new line, then there isn't any connection between the order of the new line and the cease of the old line, so if the customer (your Dad) doesn't inform BT themselves , to cease the BT service then BT continue to believe the BT line is required, even if the customer can now only use the new Sky service.

If Sky didn't let BT know, then BT haven't done anything wrong, and getting any sort of refund would be unlikely (but nothing to stop you asking) , if Sky did advise BT , then obviously BT should have issued a final bill shortly after the Sky service started...they will probably try to blame each other....the phone number now on he line may be he best way of deciding who was really to blame.

FWIW, if your Dads current phone number isn't the 'old' BT number, but he got a 'new' phone number when joining Sky, then almost certainly Sky are at fault because they ordered a new line and not a migration of the BT service, if they did say to your Dad, 'don't forget to tell BT' , and he didn't tell BT, then the fault is with and your Dad...obviously if he did tell BT , and BT didn't act on that instruction, then it's BT at fault, but why did he not notice BT were still sending out bills ?
    Originally posted by iniltous
    Just for clarity - It was a second line in the house.

My mum and dad don't live together, and haven't for a very long time. He helped her pay for the BT line originally, but we move over to sky and started paying for it ourselves. He got the bill statement sent to his address.

I've talked to BT and Sky briefly today.

BT said pretty much what you said - They should have routed it through the line properly, which would have sent a request to BT to cease access.

My dad wasn't there when they did it, but myself and my mum were - and we were, at no time at all, told to call or inform BT that it needs to be cancelled. We even had an upgrade 2 years ago to Fibre and still nothing was mentioned when the engineer replaced the faceplate and tested the line.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

703Posts Today

6,127Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin