Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    • 25,722Posts
    • 54,584Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Help! My home is freezing cold
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:38 PM
    Help! My home is freezing cold 2nd Jan 18 at 8:38 PM
    I!!!8217;m in need of some OS help this evening!

Situation: it!!!8217;s a mild 9C outside, my heating has been on all day and jacked up to 25 as soon as darkness fell. The house - and large-ish living room in particular - feels absolutely freezing.

Current remedy: new electric fire dragged in from my library on full blast and has only really started to make a difference now I!!!8217;ve slung a faux-fur throw over my shivering form.

The future: I!!!8217;ll be investing in rugs and sorting out the draughts. I have no wish to take up the beautiful flooring on the near future, so underfloor heating is not an option.

The challenge: what I would like is a recommendation on a modern electric fire that is effective in a space of roughly 200 sq ft (the JML handy heater would be a non-starter here) that is also economical to run. Is there any such thing? Whilst I!!!8217;m happy to pay an initial outlet for the right product, I!!!8217;m sceptical of claims that fires cost !!!8220;a few pence per hour!!!8221; to run, is this true? Something that costs 99p per hour to run is to me not cost-effective.

It goes without saying that any proposed solution must be stylish
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 2
    • Floss
    • By Floss 4th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 41,333 Thanks
    Floss
    VFM do the free things first
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 5th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 12,635 Posts
    • 220,314 Thanks
    greenbee
    My HWB just ain't cutting it at night.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I'm using 3 at the moment. I also have a silk duvet, and use blankets when it's really cold

VFM do the free things first
    Originally posted by Floss
    This is the key

If there is sludge in the radiators it doesn't have to be expensive to fix, as you can do it yourself, but it's tedious. If the radiators are sludgy you may want to fit a magnaclean unit which will remove bits of metal as the water circulates, and is emptied when the boiler is serviced... I assume you've had your boiler serviced? If not, get it done and ask the engineer to check the radiators and balance them at the same time.

Review the timings and room stat/radiator temperatures - you may not have the heating on long enough or hot enough to make the house warm. My downstairs thermostat is in the cold hall, so at 18C the rest of the rooms are warm. My upstairs thermostat is on the warm landing, outside the airing cupboard. It has to be set to around 21 for the bedroom radiators to come on and warm up to a reasonable temperature.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 5th Jan 18, 3:46 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,369 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    What temperature is your home actually at? I don't mean what temp is the central heating set to. It might be worth using a thermometer to check.

If there's a large discrepancy between the actual temp and what the heating is set to, then you'll know you have a problem with the heating. If, however, the temp is OK but you still feel cold, then you need to start putting more jumpers on!!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 4,585 Posts
    • 41,333 Thanks
    Floss
    VFM how is your home coming along? Have you got to an acceptably comfortable remperature yet?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 25,722 Posts
    • 54,584 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Thanks all, some good advice here.
    VFM how is your home coming along? Have you got to an acceptably comfortable remperature yet?
    Originally posted by Floss
    The temperature is improving, but I don't know whether that is because I am acclimatising or if my home is actually getting warmer. Its a strange place, the conservatory is lovely and warm this afternoon so I plan to spend the next hour reading in it . We're expecting next week to be another cold snap, aren't we?

My living room feels a lot better now, but I have resorted to a HWB plus blanket plus heating on all night, in addition to lots of layers during the day.

I like the idea of measuirng actual temp vs thermostat, have just downloaded Thermo / Robocat to tell me. Eta: I'm going to delete it, it tells me its 6 degrees but feels like 4. Its obviously just taking weather stats.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Doveling
    • By Doveling 14th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 413 Posts
    • 7,299 Thanks
    Doveling
    Have you had a look at the beginning of the Preparing for Winter thread?

Lots of ideas for both short and long term fixes. Stay warm!

HTH
    Not dim .....just living in soft focus
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jan 18, 7:06 AM
    • 25,722 Posts
    • 54,584 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Its Sunday morning and I have been having a think about things.

Its not been a particularly cold January (in the south, at least) so I think its my tolerance - or lack of it! - to the cold is part of the problem. The net result is a real reluctance to get out of bed, because its comfortable to stay warm. When I do manage it, it has made my mornings more efficient, as Im more organised and keep moving to get ready and out of the door rather than be distracted by a mug of tea and some pottering.

There has not been one night that I have been to bed w/o a HWB. Earlier this morning I forced myself to stand in the kitchen whilst the kettle boiled for another HWB, and then climbed back into bed .

Although I planned to get stuff done in the early hours, I feel delightfully drowsy once more...

• Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 21st Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    Katieowl
    I live in a stone cottage, we have a wood burner in the sitting room and a bit of background heat coming off the Rayburn, but effectively no heating up stairs. When it's really really cold I use oil rads on the lowest effective setting to take the chill off. But the No 1 thing that makes all the difference is an electric blanket! No matter how cold it is upstairs I know I will be toasty when I get into bed! I've currently got mine set on a timer, so it goes on at 8pm without me having to to remember to nip up and switch it on.

Other than that, plenty of clothes indoors and throws on the sofa!
    • Viking_mfw
    • By Viking_mfw 21st Jan 18, 11:06 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    Viking_mfw
    I used to live in a 17th century cottage with virtually no heating (Romantic but Wrong) and one thing I found made a huge difference to my personal warmth was slippers that reach to mid calf. Sheepskin works best but is expensive.
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 21st Jan 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    I wear boot slippers as well since we moved to the Highlands. Mine aren't real sheepskin though,they only cost around 12, and they are very cosy indeed. I buy a new pair every Winter but I go outside in mine to empty the bin,put washing out,clear up after the dog,fetch coal etc etc ... So they get a good deal of wear and tear indoors and out for that money
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 21st Jan 18, 10:13 PM
    • 25,722 Posts
    • 54,584 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    It!!!8217;s been cold all day, and the heatings been on 23 since 6am but I still wouldn!!!8217;t call it warm. I can!!!8217;t see that moving the thermostat dial up will make the blindest bit of difference, apart from to my fuel bill.

Thanks for the reminder re: boot slippers, I have some (ankle length) so will use them!
    Last edited by VfM4meplse; 21-01-2018 at 10:16 PM.

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 22nd Jan 18, 7:01 AM
    • 12,635 Posts
    • 220,314 Thanks
    greenbee
    First of all, ignore what the thermostat says and get a thermometer. What temperature is each room actually at, and what temperature is it right next to the thermostat? Sometimes they are wrong.

You need to work out what temperature the thermostat needs to be on to get each room to the temperature you want it to be on. For example, because my upstairs thermostat is in a warm spot on the landing where all the pipes run, next to the airing cupboard, it needs to be on 20C to get the bedrooms to 18C. However, the hall is cold, so the hall thermostat is on 17-19 most of the time, depending on what temperature I want the other rooms on. I adjust the radiator valves relative to this one to get the temperatures I need (hall radiator is on low to keep the hall cool, landing one is off because it isn't needed; office rad is on high, bathroom is medium, ensuite is high, loo is low, dining room is high, utility is low, sitting room varies depending whether the stove is being used).

It takes time and quite a bit of effort to get your heating to work effectively. You need the radiators to be sludge and air free, and correctly balanced as well as working out how they work in relation to each other so you get the heat where you need it.

I spent the weekend with a friend who works on historic buildings and she was talking about the fact that there is data that shows that interlined curtains & blinds are about as effective as double glazing (in old buildings), but have to be used properly - raised and lowered to make the most of the sun and cut out the cold. Her blinds are very thick and you can feel the temperature difference as you raise them!
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 22nd Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,821 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I was going to recommend ankle slippers - they are such a difference! Thick soles and warm ankles - lovely!

How warm is the water in your hot water system? We have our system tested annualy, and the guy has actually lowered the main water temperature, because it was set too high for our needs. Maybe yours can be set to a higher temp?

When I had to live with single glazed windows, I added temporary insulation: doublesided sticky tape on the woodwork around the glass, thin plastic wrap stuck to that. Leave for 24 hours, then heat with a hairdryer so it tightens up. Worked a treat and nearly invisible (until my nieces came and poked holes in it!). You can buy sets; I bought mine at Ald1. I see h0mebas3 also sells kits: Stormguard Conservatory Secondary Glazing Film Draught Excluder (now on sale at b&q for GBP 3.50...). for your doors: Diall Foam & PVC Covering Self Adhesive Draught Excluder, (L)914mm (just GBP 3.61 at b&q. Also in silver for GBP 5.15).

Do you have outside walls? If so, see if you can hang some sort of fabric against that wall. Even if it is just behind the sofa, it will prevent the cold air 'falling' on you.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 549.29 = 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 25,722 Posts
    • 54,584 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    How warm is the water in your hot water system? We have our system tested annualy, and the guy has actually lowered the main water temperature, because it was set too high for our needs. Maybe yours can be set to a higher temp
    Originally posted by Siebrie
    The water is on high - unfortunately it was only by raising this that I realised that one of the power showers wasn't heating properly, but that's a different story!

The windows are double glazed and pass the "Everest test" (I used a 2-ply tissue).

I am a bit confused about allowing anything - including thick curtains - to rest against external walls. Do they not contribute to damp?

• suki1964
    • By suki1964 22nd Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 11,104 Posts
    • 29,662 Thanks
    suki1964
    Your windows may have passed the Everest test, as in no droughts , but not all double glazing is equal. We replaced our not very old DG with A+ pilkington glass and our house does feel warmer then it used to, and I have a lot of Windows plus patio doors

We also upgraded our loft insulation, a very cheap job in the grand scheme of things

Curtains won't cause damp as long as you have an air flow in the room. Opening them and closing them at the right times will help keep the rooms warm, close them at sunset and open as you leave the house in the morning If you have trickle vents on the Windows, open those, if not, on the mornings you are home, open a few Windows for a while, air the house

If you don't get home till after dark, leave the curtains closed , sod the neighbours

Lighting candles in the room you are sitting in in the evening help bring up the room temp believe it or not. Even half a dozen tea lights in a biscuit tin will work

I'm sat here with mr Suki on the sofa and he feels the cold more then me so he's snuggled under a furry throw. When the fire dies, I'll probably snuggle under as well ( I don't put the central heating on in the lounge or bedrooms, always light the stove)
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 22nd Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 13,090 Posts
    • 115,139 Thanks
    lil_me
    Gosh I would be cooked, my heating comes on at about 16, if it!!!8217;s when we shower etc and it!!!8217;s very cold we!!!8217;ll increase for a short while. That!!!8217;s on an hour morning, tea time and late evening.

Thanks greenbee for all that info I!!!8217;m going to still have a look at ours

I would definitely be keeping curtains closed more to keep heat in
    Rugs if you don!!!8217;t want to change flooring
    Soft throws on the sofas
    Last edited by lil_me; 22-01-2018 at 9:22 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC May : 400
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 23rd Jan 18, 8:40 AM
    • 1,149 Posts
    • 18,821 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I think it would be alright for a while; it's just for this winter, right? If you have some light fabric (a nice sheet, or a sari, or something like that) it will stop the draught, but not trap the damp. Then you remove it when the temperature goes up, and sort out the problem over summer
    Wombling to wealth 2018 549.29 = 483.30
    Still a womble 2017 #25 7116,68= 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 3.483,31= 2,969.05
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    • 25,722 Posts
    • 54,584 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have just had the daftest epiphany: part of the reason the house is so cold is that the doors are ancient and not energy efficient! It makes sense when I think of which areas get warm and which stay freezing.

I'd intended to replace the front and side doors anyway but have found it a mind-numbingly boring task, and also knew it would be costly. The sooner I do it, the better!

• deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 5th Feb 18, 11:07 PM
    • 5,418 Posts
    • 7,596 Thanks
    deannatrois
    For a longer term solution I have used insulated wallpaper - this one does the trick applied to exterior walls https://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/saarpor-graphite-insulating-lining-paper-single.html. Its supposed to be like having another layer of concrete blocks on the wall. I've got to say I was very impressed.

You can paint it or wallpaper over it. Made an instant difference to a room that was much much colder than other rooms.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    • 25,722 Posts
    • 54,584 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    For a longer term solution I have used insulated wallpaper - this one does the trick applied to exterior walls https://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/saarpor-graphite-insulating-lining-paper-single.html. Its supposed to be like having another layer of concrete blocks on the wall. I've got to say I was very impressed.

You can paint it or wallpaper over it. Made an instant difference to a room that was much much colder than other rooms.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    I shall do this. Just as soon as I have the damp fixed, this will be next in line

The rate-limiting step is of course money...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter