PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help! My home is freezing cold

Comments

• I'd second having the radiators bled it makes a world of difference and maybe adding some extra liners to your curtains, just use light fleece type throws and tack or or safety pin in them place as a temporary measure
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Before spending money on additional heat sources you need to work out why the existing heating isn't enough.

Are the radiators hotter at the top or the bottom? If hotter at the bottom they need bleeding, if at the top they need the sludge removing. https://www.247homerescue.co.uk/how-to-clean-a-radiator/

Where is the thermostat and what is it set at? Once the temperature is reached on the room stat, the boiler will shut down regardless of whether the other rooms are up to the temperature you want.

Do you have TRVs (valves with numbers on the dials) on all your radiators? What are these set to?

Have you calculated whether the radiators are the correct size for the rooms? http://www.bestheating.com/btu-calculator

What is the capacity of your boiler? Is it more or less than the capacity needed for the total maximum output of your radiators?

Do you have a programmer for your heating? Is there one zone or two? And have you got the timings right for when you need the heat? Some programmers use outside temperature or even weather forecasts to pre-heat so that your requested temperature is reached at the time you want the heating on - others start the boiler then.

Have you had the radiators balanced so that the heat is being distributed effectively between them? https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/how-to-balance-radiators/

There's lots more to look into, but the first place to start is with ensuring that the heating setup is suitable for the property and the way you want to use it. You may need to get a plumber in to balance the radiators if this isn't something you are comfortable doing as a DIY job. The same goes for dealing with sludge.

In the meantime, look into improving insulation - I assume you've already got your books unpacked :) Books on external walls are good insulation! Check for draughts and where appropriate add/replace draught excluders - you may find some windows need replacing. Use heavy, ideally thermally-lined curtains and blinds. You can layer them as well - blinds close to the window, curtains on poles and by stringing curtain wire along the poles you can add a layer of fleece. BUbble wrap can also be applied to panes of glass (I do this on my single-glazed front door). Ensure keyholes have covers (I put them on the inside of the door rather than the outside, as they are more useful for blocking draughts).

In the spring you might want to check your loft insulation to see whether you need to add more, and your windows to see whether any need replacing.
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    You’re right, but I’ve been in and out this past fortnight and maintained the heating and it’s felt fine during the day, but it’s the first time I’ve been here at night. I think it’s probably a good idea to get the radiations tested with a view to repacing, bit given they are all warm and not piping hot, I’m wondering whether the problem is actually me? If I’m struggling now, I’m going to find it hard-going when the temperature drops.

I like the look of Provence CalorGas in Honey Glow, but am a bit nervous of having a huge bottle of gas sitting in the house :o

So now I’m doing the wussy thing (ie have put some thermals on under my clothes) and will be retiring to a bedroom with the tablet and an extension lead.

We have the Manhattan Calor gas fires and they really help keep the rooms nice and warm. The added bonus is that the gas is paid for before we use it :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,610 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We have struggled over Christmas with the rads not being hot - BG have been in and said we need them flushing which is an expensive job and of course is not covered under Homecall. We have someone coming to do it next week now - not BG - so I am hoping it will make a difference. We tried all the obvious stuff like bleeding them all first.
    We have a range of blankets on the sofas for wrapping up in - even when everything is working it is just a cold house.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    VFM we live in a draughty home, with wooden floors, and I would do the following:

1. Bleed all the radiators
    2. Check the boiler temperature - it may just be turned down low from when the house was empty
    3. Run your heating 24 hours for a week, set on 19 deg, to get the house warmer before you start setting the timer
    4. Check the radiator valves are all open - we have thermostatic valves on all ours, set at their recommended 4 (often marked in some way)
    5. Stuff an old pillow up your chimney to stop heat escaping!
    6. Cover your windows with Secondary Glazing Film - look in the high street DIY stores - until you are ready to replace them
    7. Keep doors to unused rooms closed - especially the attic
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Another thing is curtains - most people seem to close curtains when they go into a room to start using it, regardless of what time that is. So a sitting room might have its curtains closed when you go in about 7ish after eating in the kitchen, or a bedroom might have its curtains closed when you go up to bed about half-ten.
    what works better is to go round just before dusk when there's still enough daylight to move around the house without lights on and close all the curtains then. That way as the temp starts to drop outside, you aren't letting heat out of the room. Even with double-glazing, the heat will go out through uncurtained windows and the temperatures start dropping as soon as the daylight goes.

We also use a "stone pig" - a Victorian hot water bottle that is actually a bottle, made of thick, heavy ceramic stoneware. You fill it from the kettle, warming it slightly first by swilling round a bit of hot water, and then screw the filler-cap on firmly. It then lies on its side, cap uppermost, and in our experience it will stay hot, not just warm but actually hot, for a good ten hours inside a bed under the covers. Obviously you need a bedstead with a foot to it or else you kick it out and it probably would go through the floorboards :)
    But it's also excellent during the day to rest my feet on, or simply to leave in a room to take the chill off it.
    It's a form of mini storage heater, I suppose. Cost of boiling 1.5 pints of water = ten hours of heat covered or 4-5 hours of heat uncovered.

you can find them in charity shops for a fiver or tenner - I would add a bit of silicone to the cap's screw to help ensure no leaking (I've never had one leak and I've used them for forty years, several different ones growing up and my own one now); I just cut a ring out of a bit of old torn silicone kitchenware.
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 January 2018 at 6:22PM
    Thanks for all the brilliant advice, all noted and to be implemented when I have a bit of cash to do so! Insulating and boarding the loft is a priority, followed by solar panels on the rear roof.
    We also use a "stone pig" - a Victorian hot water bottle that is actually a bottle, made of thick, heavy ceramic stoneware.
    Excellent idea, googled and P'Inned. My HWB just ain't cutting it at night.

hot-water-bottl-stone.jpg
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi

Definitely important to block up your chimney if you have an open fire that you dont use. Our LR with an open fire is noticably colder than the rest of the house without the fire lit.

Agree also about drawing curtains, making sure cavity wall insulation is done if you can, closing internal doors - especially if there are rooms that you dont really use, and having door curtains over draughty exterior doors. A cold, windy day is an excellent time to walk around your house trying to find draughts and work out if there is anything that can be done about them.

Working out electricity costs for any heater is easy. Look at your electric bill and find out how much your electric costs per KWH. So say thats 15p then a 2KW heater will use 2 x 15p per hour = 30p. Now that doesnt sound much but run that for 4 hours a day 7 days a week and you are already up to £8.40 a week.

Remember that something like an oil fired radiator with a thermostat will cycle on and off so wont be use the full 2KW all the time, but best to overestimate!

An electric fan heater gives a blast of instant heat that is gone quickly when it is switched off whereas an oil fired radiator takes time to warm up but can be set at a low temperature to take the chill off.

But the golden rule is that electric heaters are expensive and the ones that are low cost will be low wattage and probably ineffective for anything other than a broom cupboard!
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think you can buy multifuel stoves that don't need a chimney.They fit a long pipe and then go through the wall.
    We have a multifuel stove and it's like being in the tropics ,I was going to buy my husband a couple of blow up palm trees for Christmas our lounge is far too hot.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    VFM do the free things first ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing