Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shagzdan
    • By shagzdan 2nd Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 17Thanks
    shagzdan
    Happy New year tightwads
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    Happy New year tightwads 2nd Jan 18 at 8:16 PM
    Never ceases to amaze me at how on this particular forum there are so many nay sayers and generally rude, unkind people.

For the last 10 years or so I have sought advice on this site for various money related problems and all I seem to encounter are trolls and people with very little in the way of compassion, ergo I have stopped coming into this site for any advice at all.

I am starting to think that those who want to save a little money can also be very cold, crass and generally very rude and opinionated.

Therefore, I would urge those who have a tendency to be tight with their cash (Aka most of this site's users) not be tight with their kindness and humanity when it comes to other peoples feelings and thoughts.

I will be very surprised if this thread stands the test of time but just in case, Happy New Year to you all from one cheesed off VETERAN.
Page 1
    • colinw
    • By colinw 2nd Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 52,021 Posts
    • 144,056 Thanks
    colinw
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    Never ceases to amaze me at how on this particular forum there are so many nay sayers and generally rude, unkind people.

For the last 10 years or so I have sought advice on this site for various money related problems and all I seem to encounter are trolls and people with very little in the way of compassion, ergo I have stopped coming into this site for any advice at all.

I am starting to think that those who want to save a little money can also be very cold, crass and generally very rude and opinionated.

Therefore, I would urge those who have a tendency to be tight with their cash (Aka most of this site's users) not be tight with their kindness and humanity when it comes to other peoples feelings and thoughts.

I will be very surprised if this thread stands the test of time but just in case, Happy New Year to you all from one cheesed off VETERAN.
    Originally posted by shagzdan
    Happy New Year to you too, I think that is a bit of a generalisation though, yes there is some trolling on here and there are people who seem to like putting people down but at the same time there are also a lot of good people on here who have been prepared to offer support to people. It is just like anywhere though you get good and bad in people.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 2nd Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 14,612 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    Lucky Dan
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 80.6
    Total so far - 1833.8
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 2nd Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 7,732 Posts
    • 16,887 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:56 PM
    Well, I have to say that the OP's experience is very different from mine. I tend to find that the majority of posters are generous with their advice, and the time they take to type it all out (and in some cases, research links to benefit people). Few posters are rude.

Maybe the OP has had questions in the past, but has not liked the answers - but the forums (fora?) are not intended to give answers that people want to hear. They are intended to help people, and sometimes it is necessary to point out that things are not the way someone wants them to be. Then again, maybe the OP posts in such a manner that it gets people's backs up. After all, with the rather damning post above, it's a wonder that he is still a member of MSE!

Personally I find that the members of MSE are much more pleasant than the OP states. I suspect that many would agree with me. Here in The Arms especially, there are many that I find supportive, kind, generous, and polite. I also admit to having a soft spot for certain posters
    • Biker*Chick
    • By Biker*Chick 2nd Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    • 9,693 Posts
    • 1,112,459 Thanks
    Biker*Chick
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:22 PM
    Well, I have to say that the OP's experience is very different from mine. I tend to find that the majority of posters are generous with their advice, and the time they take to type it all out (and in some cases, research links to benefit people). Few posters are rude.

Maybe the OP has had questions in the past, but has not liked the answers - but the forums (fora?) are not intended to give answers that people want to hear. They are intended to help people, and sometimes it is necessary to point out that things are not the way someone wants them to be. Then again, maybe the OP posts in such a manner that it gets people's backs up. After all, with the rather damning post above, it's a wonder that he is still a member of MSE!

Personally I find that the members of MSE are much more pleasant than the OP states. I suspect that many would agree with me. Here in The Arms especially, there are many that I find supportive, kind, generous, and polite. I also admit to having a soft spot for certain posters
    Originally posted by kingfisherblue
    Well said KFB

As in any social situation in the real world, you have a choice about where you go and who you spend your time with.

There are parts of the forum that upset, anger and frustrate me. There are also parts which make me feel welcomed, valued and in the company of very decent people that I consider 'friends' even though we've never met in real life.

There have been the odd occasion where some of the forumites have wound me up a treat - although I've learnt to just avoid DT...well, mostly

If all else fails, OP, I strongly recommend kitten therapy

Contessa Biker*Chick of the Alphabetty thread

=^._.^=
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 2nd Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 36,801 Posts
    • 83,273 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 11:38 PM
    A whole 74 posts. Wow, that is a lot of experience you have there in 13 years. My 40 odd thousand posts must therefore pale into insignificance.

I shall make no further comment lest I be accused of being unhelpful and unfriendly.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 3rd Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 35,592 Posts
    • 131,921 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    I think that sometimes, some people who know a lot about a certain subject, find it 'incomprehensible' that others don't even know basics.

Of course, that isn't fair, but it could explain some of the fiercer attitudes.

Also, some people might get annoyed that a very simple google can give you the answer straight away, although that doesn't often apply to to financial stuff.

Not saying that any of that is right, just that it could explain some attitudes.
    Plus, of course, the old reason that a lot of people don't realise what their posts can sound like to others.

One of my first requests for advice, can't remember what it was about, got the response that 'It's such and such, obviously!, with sarcasm screaming off the page.

Well, that upset me, because I was new, and it wasn't obvious to me, which was why I had asked the question.
    So I politely said as much, and that poster deleted that post.

I'm still here, though!
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 3rd Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 24,039 Posts
    • 62,636 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 9:45 AM
    A whole 74 posts. Wow, that is a lot of experience you have there in 13 years. My 40 odd thousand posts must therefore pale into insignificance.

I shall make no further comment lest I be accused of being unhelpful and unfriendly.
    Originally posted by Fruitcake

You beat me to it.

I’ve found posters to be very helpful in 99% of cases. The one exception was a guy who would not appreciate that a long-term Mac user could have problems with a PC.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 3rd Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 1,823 Posts
    • 9,839 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    and all I seem to encounter are trolls
    ergo I have stopped coming into this site for any advice at all.
    So you just logged in to have a go at some random people on the internet? Or possibly to get a reaction? Hang on - there's a word for someone who does that isn't here?
    Womble #7 - Running Total £9.85 $2.12 €5.26 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 NZ$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees)
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 3rd Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 35,592 Posts
    • 131,921 Thanks
    Pyxis
    You beat me to it.

I’ve found posters to be very helpful in 99% of cases. The one exception was a guy who would not appreciate that a long-term Mac user could have problems with a PC.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I have only ever been put in front of a PC once, and that was years ago.

I had to ask someone what to do.
    Plus I had never used a mouse with a right click, left click and round thing in the middle.

I daresay if I sat in front of one today, I still wouldn't know how to work it.

In nearly thirty years of computer use, I have only ever used Apple computers.

Nobody is born knowing everything!
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 3rd Jan 18, 7:02 PM
    • 12,334 Posts
    • 16,642 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    So you just logged in to have a go at some random people on the internet? Or possibly to get a reaction? Hang on - there's a word for someone who does that isn't here?
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    I think the word you're looking for is "tumblrite".
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 4th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 24,039 Posts
    • 62,636 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I have only ever been put in front of a PC once, and that was years ago.

I had to ask someone what to do.
    Plus I had never used a mouse with a right click, left click and round thing in the middle.
    !
    Originally posted by Pyxis

That was precisely the problem, but the 'expert' argued that all mice/ mouses have two buttons!

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 35,592 Posts
    • 131,921 Thanks
    Pyxis
    That was precisely the problem, but the 'expert' argued that all mice/ mouses have two buttons!
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I think the newest Macs might have two, or some of them at least, but I've never used one.

My last desktop was an iMac, (tangerine! Yey!), and that only had one.

For the last four years I've only used iPads, not desktops. I do have a keyboard for it, but I don't really use it.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Tarry
    • By Tarry 4th Jan 18, 2:26 PM
    • 10,677 Posts
    • 23,785 Thanks
    Tarry
    I haven't been on a pc for ages and ages.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 4th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 2,787 Thanks
    helcat26
    OP you joined in 2004.
    How about thinking-"it is probably a whole new set of people" and giving it a new go?
    I promise - as an example poster-I try to be helpful, and if I cannot claim to be nice I hope I can be funny occasionally.

If others fail to amuse you, ignore them.
    Pick your battles, ignore people who live to provoke- or stand back and enjoy the show.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th Jan 18, 6:24 PM
    • 35,592 Posts
    • 131,921 Thanks
    Pyxis

I hope you don't mind, but I've had a look through a couple of your past threads, one early one and the latest one, and apart from one not very nice comment, all I could see were posts from people offering good advice, which you acknowledged with thanks.

So I am at a bit of a loss as to why you say that all you seem to encounter are trolls and people with very little compassion. With regard to the latter, I saw several posts from people who did show compassion for the problems you have had.

I do, however, know that when one gets a knockback or a sarcastic response, it is very easy indeed to forget all the good responses and dwell on the one not so nice one, which then grows and grows in one's head.

I would urge you to read back through some of those posts, just to see how many helpful people there were, making useful suggestions.

As others on here have said, there are plenty of us who do try to be nice, polite, caring and helpful, so please don't let the ones that aren't colour your view too much.

It seems that you haven't had an easy life, but you do seem to be getting yourself on track, and asking all the right questions, so good on you for that. I'm sorry about your demons, and hope you are getting help with them.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 4th Jan 18, 6:38 PM
    • 4,436 Posts
    • 9,234 Thanks
    minimad1970
    That's a very well worded post Pyxis but I wouldn't waste anymore time replying, the op posted this, logged off and hasn't been back since.
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 7,379 Thanks
    pepper77
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5730000

Shane doesnt appear to like it if people suggest he does :-
    a) a job that pays, and
    b) more than sixteen hours a week.

How very dare they.
    Sammy Woodhouse day?

Kriss Donald day?

• Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 4th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 35,592 Posts
    • 131,921 Thanks
    Pyxis
    That's a very well worded post Pyxis but I wouldn't waste anymore time replying, the op posted this, logged off and hasn't been back since.
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    Thanks. Yes, I know, but I thought I'd post it, just in case.
    Denmark and Senegal
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 4th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 24,039 Posts
    • 62,636 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I think the newest Macs might have two, or some of them at least, but I've never used one.

My last desktop was an iMac, (tangerine! Yey!), and that only had one.

For the last four years I've only used iPads, not desktops. I do have a keyboard for it, but I don't really use it.
    Originally posted by Pyxis

Still have a green one in the loft! We also have a G4(.?) rarely used now.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,535Users online

Martin's Twitter