Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 2nd Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    • 129Posts
    • 128Thanks
    Jellybro
    0 WOW
    Holidays with a dog
    • 2nd Jan 18, 7:23 PM
    0 WOW
    Holidays with a dog 2nd Jan 18 at 7:23 PM
    Hi all,

We have a new member of the family... a lovely little cavalier.
    Have any of you got any recommendations for holiday cottages or hotels that are dog friendly. It doesn’t matter where, but thinking ahead to the summer it might be nice to go away.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 2nd Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 12,213 Posts
    • 8,249 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    IME it's better to holiday in places that don't take dogs - they don't smell. Stick the dog in kennels and have a good holiday. Your dog will be happy to see you at the end of your holiday.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 2nd Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    karcher
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    I'm sure if you google you'd get some pointers .

Otherwise, buy a tent and go camping with your dog
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 2nd Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jellybro
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    I don!!!8217;t want to put her in kennels. We want to holiday with her.

Yes, I have googled, but I was hoping that people would have personal experience of good places to go.
    We have camping gear, and took her with us in the summer... but fancied a proper bed!!
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 2nd Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 4,358 Posts
    • 2,478 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    If you have kids and a generous budget then centre parks accept dogs in some of the accommodation. Not everyone's cup of tea - and not very MSE, but it was OK when they family was young.
    • Green hopeful
    • By Green hopeful 2nd Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    Green hopeful
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    I often travel to pet friendly cottages (with cats rather than dogs) Many cottage websites, Airbnb and the landmark trust have a dog friendly option. I don!!!8217;t have any particular recommendations, sorry, but you can go pretty much anywhere. I have never had a problem with smells or evidence of dogs so don!!!8217;t let that worry you. Many pubs and restaurants will also accommodate dogs but I would check first.
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 2nd Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jellybro
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:07 PM
    Thank you, I will look at landmark trust... not heard of them before, and it!!!8217;s nice to know you have never experienced smelly accommodation on your holidays with your cats.

Not thought of centre parks, thank you... will look into that too!
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 3rd Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 10,679 Posts
    • 23,789 Thanks
    Tarry
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    I holiday with dogs. I am using cottages.com for Scotland for first time and when I got Ireland I use Imagine Ireland. Never had any issue with smelly accomaodation. I prefer self catering cottages to caravan holidays as you always have to holiday in the older caravans when you have dogs
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jellybro
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 6:39 PM
    It!!!8217;s reassuring to know that you have not had any smelly accommodation either.
    I!!!8217;ll look at the sites.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 4th Jan 18, 6:50 PM
    • 29,381 Posts
    • 75,011 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I have never had a problem with smells or evidence of dogs so don!!!8217;t let that worry you.
    Originally posted by Green hopeful
    Same here - everywhere we've been has been clean and non-smelly.
    • Timpu
    • By Timpu 5th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    Timpu
    We like to holiday with our dog and have used the Landmark Trust, Rural Retreats and The Blakeney Cottage Company (fab stay in dog friendly Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk). We're trying Unique Home Stays later this year.

OP asks for recommendations and the order of preference would be Blakeney Cottages, Rural Retreats and then the Landmark Trust. We did try a B&B but sadly can't recommend.

HTH
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Jan 18, 12:48 PM
    • 16,537 Posts
    • 41,752 Thanks
    elsien
    If you're looking a bit cheaper, Haven caravan sites accept dogs in some of their caravans/chalets. Can't comment on the smelliness factor though as I go on holiday to get away from Gitdog.
    Many places will only let you leave them alone in the property for short periods of time, which is no use to me as I like trundling round stately homes and generally dog-unfriendly places while I'm away.
    You might want to consider the house training/chewing/general destructiveness factors depending on the age/temperament of the pup at the time you are thinking of going.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 5th Jan 18, 3:13 PM
    • 29,381 Posts
    • 75,011 Thanks
    Mojisola
    Many places will only let you leave them alone in the property for short periods of time, which is no use to me as I like trundling round stately homes and generally dog-unfriendly places while I'm away.
    Originally posted by elsien
    None of the places we've stayed allowed renters to leave the dog alone in the house at all.

If there are places we want to visit that aren't dog friendly, we research local dog sitters or doggy day care companies and book him in for a couple of days.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 5th Jan 18, 3:16 PM
    • 10,679 Posts
    • 23,789 Thanks
    Tarry
    Same here - everywhere we've been has been clean and non-smelly.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    yes indeed. Most ones that allow dogs tend to have easy clean flooring for want of a better phrase.

Last year I found an ideal holiday cottage on booking.com but didn't use them as I googled the holiday cottage information and found who owned it and booked directly and saved about £30 or so. That was very MSE of me This was when I stayed in Dumfries and Galloway near a Forest park (although the midges woke up from their slumber early) not the Ireland trips as using whom I use saves money on the ferry and it combines cottage and ferry(but costs are broken down on invoice) (yes I know I paid a supplement as in overseas but still)

As I have greyhounds which are naturally lazy and my holidays are factored around different walks (I like walking and scenery so suits me) in different places it works.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • greenface
    • By greenface 5th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 4,657 Posts
    • 2,347 Thanks
    greenface
    Dog friendly holiday park that's based in Snowdonia is the stunning Glan Gwna Holiday Park . 3 miles outside Caernarfon along the LLyn Peninsular. I have contacts there and will send you details (I no longer own a holiday home)
    hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 5th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jellybro
    Thanks for all your help. Some great advice.
    What a good idea about doggy day care! I would never leave her on her own in a rental..... just to be on the safe side.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 4,788 Posts
    • 3,585 Thanks
    sheramber
    lots to choose from here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogfriendlyholidays/

pick your area and search the albums by clickinng on photos on the left hand side and then on the header 'albums'.

If you know where you want to go then you can request offers of accommodation for the area, dates and no of people/dogs. But not all owners may see it so a direct request through the accommodation page may be better.
    • Jellybro
    • By Jellybro 6th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Jellybro
    That!!!8217;s very kind of you to post a link sheramber , but I am not on Facebook, so can!!!8217;t view it.
    • pinkladyvenus
    • By pinkladyvenus 15th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    pinkladyvenus
    my friend often uses these and always has a good time with her dog it is in cornwall.

http://sandbank-holidays.co.uk/
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
    • adviceforall
    • By adviceforall 15th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    adviceforall
    Dont know if I can put details here but I have pet friendly caravans on a Haven park in Weymouth if you'd consider that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,025Posts Today

7,942Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin