Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 2nd Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 36,035Posts
    • 46,442Thanks
    McKneff
    Shingles...
    • 2nd Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    Shingles... 2nd Jan 18 at 7:15 PM
    I thought i had a burn, it changed so i thought i had pricked my hand on a rose Thorn, it changed again got some pimples and so i have blummin shingles
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
Page 2
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 10th Jan 18, 9:46 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    brianposter
    Shingles can be treated by taking an anti-viral drug. Go to your doctor as soon as possible.
    Originally posted by jeradon
    And if a doctor is not available within a few hours find a hospital emergency unit. Speed is of the utmost importance in taking the pills.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,174 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Shingles can be treated by taking an anti-viral drug. Go to your doctor as soon as possible.
    Originally posted by jeradon
    And if a doctor is not available within a few hours find a hospital emergency unit. Speed is of the utmost importance in taking the pills.
    Originally posted by brianposter
    In this instance, the OP has already had medical advice:
    Gp confrmed it before i posted here.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    • Ames
    • By Ames 24th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 30,460 Thanks
    Ames
    Whimpers

I have it in my ear. It feels like I've got someone hammering big nails into the side of my head.

Saw someone at the hospital yesterday and he said it didn't need antivirals so presumably it's not too bad.

I can't believe how quickly it's come on. I had a bit of earache on Thursday, by Saturday I was diagnosed with cellulitis (antibiotics seem to be clearing that up) then by Sunday the intense pain started.

I don't suppose chocolate is a known treatment for it?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 24th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 36,035 Posts
    • 46,442 Thanks
    McKneff
    I am fine now after 3 weeks, just pricles on parts of my arm now and again.
    Not much pain at all really so i think i got away lightly. The major nuisance was like a big blister, sort of 1.5 inch by 1 inch which looked like a blood blister which showed no sign of going away. I started to put calamine on it and it just sort of dried up but the top of the blister stayed but eventually came off itself. I think i was lucky that i got the meds early
    • Janey3
    • By Janey3 24th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Janey3
    Glad you are on the mend now.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 24th Jan 18, 11:12 PM
    • 36,035 Posts
    • 46,442 Thanks
    McKneff
    It is available in places at 60. Our area is offered it at 70.
    I just wonder what the costs would be to vaccinate at 60
    And what the costs are to medicate for d
    Shigles for that same 10 years.

Not to mention the pain people go through
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 25th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 8,516 Posts
    • 6,291 Thanks
    pmduk
    Good to hear that you are feeling better
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 25th Jan 18, 4:36 PM
    • 296 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Well I'm back on the pain killers, I weaned myself off them and realised my shoulder/arm etc were hurting again even in the warmer weather we're having.

Ames, make sure you let them know about the pain. My doctor didn't offer anything until I went back and asked for it
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 25th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    Cream specifically for burn blistering was the only thing helped me.

Although it was a few days since mine had started, GP gave me the choice to take the anti viral, and I'm glad I did. It's important to take them at the times specified, even set my alarm clock to wake me up to take them.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 25th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 30,460 Thanks
    Ames
    Well I'm back on the pain killers, I weaned myself off them and realised my shoulder/arm etc were hurting again even in the warmer weather we're having.

Ames, make sure you let them know about the pain. My doctor didn't offer anything until I went back and asked for it
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I did tell my GP then the doc at the hospital that I was in pain, but perhaps downplayed it a bit. OTC co-codamol is mostly dealing with it, it just takes a while to kick in on a morning when the previous night's dose has worn off. I had a phonecall from my immunologist about it this afternoon and told her about it all and she said it was fine just to carry on as I am.

It is starting to itch now though.

I'm trying to think positively - most people only get it once so now I've had it it's over and done with and I probably won't have to go through it again.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 25th Jan 18, 8:27 PM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 30,460 Thanks
    Ames
    I'm glad you're doing better, McKneff.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

891Posts Today

6,418Users online

Martin's Twitter