Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 16,825Posts
    • 282,171Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018 2nd Jan 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hello folks and welcome to the 2018 grow your own thread! I'm a day late with this, sorry. You can blame the New Year's Day hangover!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "Allotment Club - mind your peas and cues"
    Last edited by Dizzy Ditzy; 02-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 9
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 4th Apr 18, 11:11 PM
    • 24,818 Posts
    • 99,418 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Thank you, I have tried the relocating two years ago but last year resorted to slug warfare with the pellets. But I don't like the idea of the chemicals near my food. I will try the egg shell and beer trap (mind you hubby might not be too pleased if I start using his home brew!) If you have boiled eggs do you still baked them? How long do you bake them for?
    We don't buy fizzy drinks but I will see if anyone at work would like me to upcycle them. I wish that I was bold enough to walk down my road on bin day and pick up the plastic Bottles.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    I don't waste perfectly good beer on mere slugs. A far cheaper (and less depressing) way of enticing the little wotsits to their doom is to pop a pinch of yeast into some warm water in a disposable receptacle with a small pinch of sugar. Fermentation occurs, it smells incredibly attractive to the slimy beggars and they die with an air of disappointment.

Finally got into the mudbath today in between rain to deal with the Rambling Rose before it took over the place, along with the other very spiky things that surround the walls - ended up mostly pulling long strands down and tying them in, as the burner was still full of the pruning I did in November (it's been that wet ever since all I could do was cover it up and wait). Hopefully that'll keep the neighbours happy and still give the massive wall of scent and flower I (and the bumbles/leafcutters and mason bees) love so much.

Also pulled up a load of stray raspberries and chopped a few shooting canes back down, as I really don't need an entire garden of the things.

The only real irritation was finding Blue Alkane has decided to intrude upon one of my best Rainbow Chards, as they are miraculously still going strong. I'm going to have to dig up both plants - but on the bright side, the ground is so soft, it's not going to be hard work.

And my baby Cherry tree has finally sent up some long shoots after years of refusing to do much at all. I think it's going to do something this year - and, by a miracle, I think I relocated into the one bit of the garden that will still get a little bit of sunlight in the afternoon when the new housing goes up properly (it's all just girders at present). I'm not expecting much in the way of fruit from anywhere else, though, thanks to the notion that in a town with hundreds of empty office blocks, what they really need to do is take over land that hadn't ever been built upon and cram as much undersized housing in as possible.

I might try some out the front where it's brutally hot, but that will either frazzle or be stolen, I suspect - it's perfect growing conditions for lavender and rosemary, but not a lot else, especially when there's no way of keeping thieving barstewards out.

Just took advantage of a prolonged lack of rain to burn off the old prunings, as nobody is going to be trying to dry washing - unfortunately, due to it just being prunings, it's been quite smoky and I had to partially cover it with the metal sheet I use as a lid. I might go back in the morning to find charcoal glowing away.

When I go out there tomorrow (assuming it's not raining too much) I'll deal with the Alkane and then possibly chuck some more wild flower seed around in what pretends to be a lawn, but is largely Red and White Clover and Borage by June . I like it better like that, anyway. If I find some clear ground that the Cat doesn't commandeer, I'll chuck down some old veg seeds left over from last year as well.

And I might actually pick some chard for an omelette.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 5th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Lovely day today. Cleaned the greenhouses and generally tidied up. Tomorrow I can move all my tomatoes into the good greenhouse, and repot my courgettes finally
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 5th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 8,746 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    When I found out that it was going to be a nice day I opted to work from home. Started work 90 minutes early so that I could take the time back when it was warmer. Had a 150 minute lunch break.
    Spent the time out in the garden sowed some spinach in the shady area with some leftover salad leaves from last year. Then sowed some carrots next to the spring onions. Also potted up some beetroot - two seeds per pot, 20 pots. Hopefully something will come from it all. First time that I have grown beetroot from seed. Carrots have only tried to grow them once before and the slugs ate all the tops.

Also, I have put up the runner bean poles (forever hopeful that they will germinate and grow).
    Hubby was a darling and dug over the area where the courgettes are going to go.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 05-04-2018 at 7:22 PM.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 + 220
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 4096/6,000 + 220
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Apr 18, 7:13 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 14,499 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    (oh and the cat is obsessed by the leaves and tries to eat them like a panda).
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I read that as your OH and the cat - funny picture in my head now
    MFW START DATE May 16 118,340 : Oct17 - 109,495.00Dec17 108,800Jan 18 108,392.98 March 18 108,504.72April 108,099May 106,999June 105,999.99July 105,300.00
    Aug 103,999.99
    September 102,999.99
    NEXT GOAL is sub 100k before 2019Mortgage-free wannabe 2018 #65
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 24,818 Posts
    • 99,418 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Two pleasant days in a row!

Cleaned up the front litter bin garden and found that, once I'd picked out the hundreds of sweet wrappers and crisp packets the local primary school attendees appear to save just for me, the dry leaves that had blown in and not been cleared up from the path are in the process of turning into a pretty nice compost. I think it'll get bagged and then chucked over the woodlandy bit I've got in the back garden, with a pyracantha, primroses, cowslips and ferns growing in the permanent shade of the shed.

Popped some catnip into the decrepit half barrel out the front where I corral mint (never putting it in the back garden or free soil of any kind - that stuff has the regenerative powers of Hydra Teeth!) and covered it with an old bit of wire fencing folded over to dissuade the local cat population from murdering it, and a tiny bay into the hottest, driest window box to grow on a bit.

Then off out the back to clean up, rake the weedy mudpatch masquerading as a lawn, pull more raspberry escapees, rescue my chard from alkane (it's all over the neighbourhood and I quite like it anywhere but the food beds), swear at the thornless raspberry suckers overcompensating for the main plant's lack of evil and then, whilst being investigated by lots of bees, found a minor miracle.

In a solid china pot, I'd chucked the last of the Dalefoot compost in so I could use the sack for something else. I'd then left the compost sack on top of it because I forgot all about whatever it was I was intending and never ordered any more compost to do anything with the pot. Didn't see anything in there all summer and it's been rained on, snowed on and defrosted, then snowed and rained on at great length again. I lifted the sack up to find something the colour and consistency of pig slurry but didn't smell at all.

Intending to drain it onto the tub the courgettes go into, I put my hand into it to get a good grip to drag it across the patio - and found something. Lots of things, actually.

45 perfectly smooth, glowing red little potatoes about two inches long. I must have left one under the bag by mistake, rather than the ones that were carefully planted and all died/rotted/were slugged without issue.

I am definitely buying Dalefoot again this year - to be able to grow potatoes when alternately dry, sodden, frozen and completely ignored is fantastic - it went in that pot still moist from the bag and was untouched from that point, so it must have held and released water just at the right rate for the lonely spud right up to the foulness of March. And the display in the windowboxes is pretty good with it still moist rather than bone dry and desiccated as previous composts have been.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Apr 18, 7:25 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 55,008 Thanks
    Jazee
    Enjoy the potatoes JoJo.

I am planning to spend most of my time in the garden today as the sun is shining for the third day in a row. I will cut the grass for the first time this year too.
    Savings 2018: 795.85
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 7th Apr 18, 8:52 AM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 13,607 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    I am a bit late to the party.

Hello everyone.

Not get anything on the go seed wise. Had a bit of a disappointing start with my chilli peppers. They just didnt germinate along with some more sweet peas. Then work took up all my time with doing extra shifts and my first time at the allotment was Thursday afternoon.

I spotted some onion sets in Wilko so got them in.

Some of you may remember that I had plans last year of using just one of my beds for bulbs and flowers. The spring bulbs I planted are all coming to flower now and it looks so nice! Really pleased with it. Got a load of summer bulbs and planted them to fill the rest of the bed and my plan today is to sow some summer flowering seeds in between the rows of spring bulbs. Hopefully I will have flowers right through the summer.

My partner in crime (Dad) is waiting for a triple heart bypass so I think it could just be me this year.

The other thing thats putting me off sowing lots of seeds is the fact I am away for two weeks at the end of May. Would hate to have lots of stuff die whilst Im away.

Anyway........will at least get the plot tidy today and another plot holder has given me some seedlings, tomatoes, sweet peppers, broccoli and cabbage.
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83/Jun 236.71/July 183.73/Aug 251.84/Sep 214.78
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1383.87 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 7th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 55,008 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello KM. I also put three of my veg planters over to flowers in the autumn. They are currently full of pansies and very colourful. Still waiting for the daffs and tulips to open fully in the borders and little pots.

It's now raining again so no grass cutting, probably not until early next week but I have been doing a lot of sorting out, and dug fresh compost from the heap onto the bed next to where the broad beans are.

Going to walk the dogs now and then see if I can get some more done this afternoon.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 7th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 10,592 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    My partner in crime (Dad) is waiting for a triple heart bypass so I think it could just be me this year.
    Originally posted by Kantankrus Mare
    Tell your did I was in the same boat as him last year, They discovered by accident I had a heart murmur last March and with all the tests I went through plus I didn't want it doing before Christmas as I had quite a lot of turkeys, it ended up being done February this year. I had aortic valve replacement plus bypasses - 12 days after my op I was walking around Sains....and 8 weeks post op I'm gardening -no heavy digging yet, looking after all the chickens, plus all the housework and cooking and yesterday I moved a load of logs, some were quite big, from a dead oak tree which my DH took down and chainsawed. Tell your dad that op will give him his life back.

I've just started on the plot again last week and progress so far is most of the two polytunnels now are straight and tidy, Quite a lot of vegetables that need to be started in modules and now sown but haven't germinated yet. I'm still harvesting carrots, kale and brussels from last year but they are coming to an end. Today I ordered the veg seeds I am missing, plus main crop potatoes.

Jobs for this weekend: weed the fruit cage, tidy the greenhouse and get someone to replace the broken panes. Maybe wash the outside and roof of the polytunnels - they are not bad but would benefit from a wash, and get my DH to use his beloved tractor to dump some well rotted manure close to the plot so I can finish the outside beds.
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 7th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 5,323 Posts
    • 13,607 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Thanks for that Zafiro Its the waiting that is the worst thing. They said a 3 month wait after his pre op which was end of Feb but hes heard nothing since.

We have both been at the plot this morning and done a massive amount of weeding between us. He has also replaced some of the glass in the smaller greenhouse which damaged when we had high winds.

He has also cleared one of our open compost heaps of all twigs and other bits and pieces and we have some wonderful compost hiding underneath.

Can really tell the difference with my dad. He has to keep stopping as he gets out of breath. Just hoping everything goes well and he gets a new lease of life. If only to keep him out of my mams way.
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83/Jun 236.71/July 183.73/Aug 251.84/Sep 214.78
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1383.87 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 7th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    I did a few bits this afternoon in the garden, finally got round to building my cold frame. I bought it last autumn

I also put some pansies into a planter. Its got tulips in it already but the blimmin neighbours cats keep digging round the edges of it so I bunged in the pansies to fill it up. Hoping this puts them off from digging......

Then helped OH to install some replacement CCTV cameras at the front of the house.

Feel pooped now
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 8th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 55,008 Thanks
    Jazee
    I've been checking and watering the seeds I planted last week, the ones in the house. The cape thingys haven't germinated yet, but the cucumber, courgette and big tomatoes have. Will go upstairs shortly and check on the peppers, chilli peppers and cherry tomatoes.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 8th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Was supposed to rain here yesterday, but didn't so managed half a day planting radishes and fixing up the old greenhouse. Rescued some bluebells that a badger had dug up and top dressed a load of herb pots

Today should be mild & dry again, so more tidying up screwing fixing plates into the greenhouse
    Last edited by unrecordings; 08-04-2018 at 9:29 AM.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 8th Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 55,008 Thanks
    Jazee
    Cherry tomatoes have germinated too, nothing for the peppers and chilli peppers yet but they normally take longer.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 8th Apr 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 10,592 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Didn't do quite what I had planned as it rained here most of yesterday and today so I didn't feel like being outside and getting wet. However, I washed all the capillary matting in the greenhouse (not in the washer in the house but one we use for rugs from the horses), dodged the rain as the greenhouse is not waterproof yet. Set up a deep bench so I can put in the seeds when they have germinated and found a piece of ridged plastic which fitted to act as a cover. tided away some pots and threw away some plants from last year that had died - i did say (I think) that I didn't do much last year so it's going to be a huge tidy up this year as well as trying to grow things.

It's looking promising in the utility room, I think there may be some activity on the germination front - will know more tomorrow. There's so much in there, every surface that was clear now has seeds on it - but the washing has started to back up.
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 10,592 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Yes germination has started:- very tiny green bits of rocket, toms, cabbage, leeks, brussels french beans and even the peas are showing, plus there is activity on the shallots and onions which I put in modules as it was so wet and soggy outside. I need to get them all off heat and into the greenhouse tomorrow. - today I have to stay indoors as I'm waiting for a phone call from the Royal Brompton Hosp.

This PM I think I'll start sowing the flower seeds. Our garden is very simple. It's too large to have a conventional garden, its just trees and grass but I do miss flowers so I do a load of tubs which are dotted about near the house.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Apr 18, 3:47 PM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 55,008 Thanks
    Jazee
    More germination here too, and I've planted beetroot, onion, spring onion, and turnip seeds. Also some more chard and spinach. There are tiny strawberries too.

Garden much tidier too.
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 12th Apr 18, 8:03 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 8,746 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Germination has started - rocket in two different beds.
    One runner bean has shot up - three leaves. Other 11 seeds nothing yet! It has been 9 days now.
    Big toms - 1 germinated
    Cherry TOMS - 3 germinated
    Courgettes - none, not a dicky bird yet
    Butternut squash - nothing yet
    Beetroot - nothing yet
    Carrots, spring onions and spinach nothing yet.

Have been given some of the seeds a stint in the airing cupboard.
    2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - 500 + 220
    Save 12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan 4096/6,000 + 220
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 10,592 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Pricking out now, Hispi cabbage, brilliant brussels,
    I need to start pricking out the leeks today

I'm using loads of fleece in the greenhouse as several panes are broken and DH hasn't got round to replacing them yet. I could use part of a polytunnel but old habits die hard as I've always used the greenhouse and if I change and use the polytunnel I have a feeling that my DH will use it as an excuse to put 'mending the greenhouse' to the bottom of his 'must do' list
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Apr 18, 9:26 AM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 55,008 Thanks
    Jazee
    I ended up the other day cutting the grass with shears as it's still too wet for the mower. Hope I don't have to do that again.

Amazed at the courgettes indoors, just 12 days since planting and they are 6 inches tall. 11 plants though, I really don't need that many.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

3,232Users online

Martin's Twitter