Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 16,675Posts
    • 281,519Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018 2nd Jan 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hello folks and welcome to the 2018 grow your own thread! I'm a day late with this, sorry. You can blame the New Year's Day hangover!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "Allotment Club - mind your peas and cues"
    Last edited by Dizzy Ditzy; 02-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 6
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 2nd Mar 18, 12:08 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Chillis and sweet peppers are doing well in the heated propagator. Tomatoes (including the 'Honey Bubbles' that I'm trying for the first time this year) have just been potted on and are now on the spare bedroom window sill - which has a note on the door saying that it must be kept closed at all times to stop the cat from pushing the pots onto the floor. What is it with cats and 'pushing'?

I don't grow much green veg as my garden isn't big enough - but I'll be growing courgettes in tubs again, and may have a try at beetroot and spring onions (also in pots).
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 02-03-2018 at 12:28 PM.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 5th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Snow is disappearing now. Now I'm checking pipes and fixing leaks (in my reduced state I didn't manage to turn the garage stopcock off properly last autumn which has resulted in 'something' but a minor something). I cleared some areas of lawn for the ground feeding birds and gently knocked the snow off herbs, shrubs etc. I need to start some chillis...
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 6th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 24,254 Posts
    • 95,816 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Ugh. The water butt tap is clogged up. 150l - or a metric tonne and a half - of icy cold, FREE water. And I can't get to use it.

Going to have to try and unclog the tap with a giant pipecleaner. Not sure whether to go for the stripey pink and purple or the day-glo yellow ones in the Art Box.

Failing that, I'm going to have to send the OH up on a stepladder (it was apparently installed by giants. Giants who rode off on their trusty steeds across the nearest prairie after toshing some turf down and vaguely attempting to build a house) to try and reach the top to set up a siphon contraption and waste all of it. Although, going by his previous attempts at 'fixing things' at height, I might be able to make some money for a new butt by putting it on YouTube.

Any other suggestions on how to unblock it from mystery clogs? It's always been covered 24/7, weighted down with bricks and the only holes are the tiny ones in the lid. I guess it must be sludge from the gutters as the filler pipe slopes up to the drainpipe.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 6th Mar 18, 9:49 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    From my experience of unblocking the cheapo solar fountain that's in the pond, you need some wire. Depending on the bore something like the inner sheath & conductor from some 6A or 13A mains cable (ie an old IEC 'kettle' lead). Strip the outer layer of plastic leaving the two or three conductors - they have nice tensile strength without the tendency to buckle like pipe cleaners do, but with a lot more give than a coathanger. Rough up that inner layer of sheathing with a knife if you really need to go to town on the blockage
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 9th Mar 18, 8:44 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Any luck with the pipes JoJo?

I desperately need to get up the plot - for mine and its sake!

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Mar 18, 12:42 PM
    • 24,254 Posts
    • 95,816 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Any luck with the pipes JoJo?

I desperately need to get up the plot - for mine and its sake!
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Much to my disgust, I've got masses of work to do this weekend, so, once again, I'm not getting outside. And I've got a friend to visit next weekend.

At this rate, I'll miss the entire planting season - or, going by the ominous looking portacabin on a bit of wasteland next door but one, I'll go out there intending to start to find out that every scrap of natural light in the garden is blocked by a bunch of flats
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 11th Mar 18, 11:01 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    My pak choi have germinated yay! Broad beans, not so much suspect they have rotted as the compost is very wet. Oh well, it was only a small batch, plenty more seeds to retry.

I've sown some microgreens (peas, rocket and sweet basil), electric propagator warming up for me to sow my tomatoes and chillies tomorrow (is 7 varieties of tomato too much?) and greenhouse due to be delivered on 20 March yippee!

Sadly I am full of cold yet again so not much progress outside. Oh er and I seem to have ordered redcurrant, blackcurrant, gooseberry, mini kiwi bushes, and raspberry canes
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 12th Mar 18, 9:03 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Much to my disgust, I've got masses of work to do this weekend, so, once again, I'm not getting outside. And I've got a friend to visit next weekend.

At this rate, I'll miss the entire planting season - or, going by the ominous looking portacabin on a bit of wasteland next door but one, I'll go out there intending to start to find out that every scrap of natural light in the garden is blocked by a bunch of flats
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    'We must rage, rage against the dying of the light'

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 12th Mar 18, 10:02 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I need to start installing some pathways on the plot.
    There is usually a communal wood chip pile by our stores.

Now should I be lining it? With membrane? Cardboard/thick newspaper? My concern with membrane is that its plastic and it eventually breaks down anyway (I'm still pulling up sections on plastic the previous tenant used) I feel like it needs lining with 'something' to control the weed growth - although I know they'll eventually come through anyway.
    High foot traffic areas on the plot are starting to get very muddy and slippery.
    Whats everyone else done?

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 12th Mar 18, 11:52 AM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 10,283 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I need to join in again. I went awol last year due to health problems but I was mended last month, however, I'm still recovering and unable to do certain things like lifting (open heart surgery, valve replacements, bi-passes).

I know I'm a little late in getting going but I have so much planned for this year. I've taken over the utility room to start the seeds off, the new potatoes are chitting on the windowsill, the heat mat is plugged in so this afternoon I'll start.

2018 is going to be a good year
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 12th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Still waiting on my seed potatoes, so decided to console myself by ordering some more wild garlic (in the green - so I need to plant it straight away). Raining today, so it's plotting & scheming weather
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 13th Mar 18, 6:26 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 10,283 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Yesterday I got side tracked so I didn't do any seed sowing. Instead I went in the polytunnels and started clearing one of the beds. Just got some overwintering shallots in the bed which aren't ready yet. All I need to do with that bed is to put some muck on it (a bit too heavy for me at the moment) and water it well as it's very dry. I'll probably erect some sort of barrier so the rabbits/mice/pigeons/deer/or any other pest can't get to the bed as last year I was totally fed up with things being eaten before I got there.

Today I spent an hour on the outside plot, managed to sort out one and a half beds, just another eight and a half to go, so I'm feeling very tired but happy.
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 14th Mar 18, 8:44 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Hope you will be up to full strength soon Zafiro

I sowed my tomatoes as planned on Monday, no sign yet but very early days. The rocket microgreens are up already, guess thats why its called rocket, and peas are producing shoots, no sign of the basil yet. Looking forward to my first home grown produce in my salads soon.

We'll see what a) the weathers like and b) what my cough/cold is like at the weekend before I make any plans to do anything. Is it ok that i am irrationally excited that my greenhouse is arriving in less than a week?
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 15th Mar 18, 6:24 PM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    tootallulah
    I am very behind and won't get anything sown until the w/e. March is running away from me I need to get a wiggle on.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 28th April 16,500.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 16th Mar 18, 5:21 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 20,669 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Good to see you back zafiro - onwards and upwards after that surgery. Just remember you are supposed to be giving yourself a chance to heal and doing your gentle rehab exercises - not digging veg beds at this point. You might need to contract in a local helper to get you prepped if you only had your surgery a month ago! Do take care of yourself
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after March 19.96% 1,996.19/10,000 5.04% behind
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 721.33/3,000 including stores so far 24.04% of my annual budget at the end of April
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 16th Mar 18, 9:28 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Speaking as a fellow gardener who doesn't know when to keep still. Good to see you back Zafiro, take it easy. Chemo is one thing, but heart surgery - I'd be scared to rip something important. I know what it's like to feel like you're just rotting away over the winter months, and though some days I can barely stand I need to get out and do ---something--- I fall over, sure, but it's a calculated risk, and my lawn is soft :-) The important thing for me is not just being alive, but feeling alive

Anyway, today I got some more wild garlic and popped out to plant it before the weather closes in...
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Mar 18, 8:34 AM
    • 4,434 Posts
    • 51,985 Thanks
    Jazee
    Snow here today so I've still not planted anything as I'm a wuss. Broad bean plants have survived though.
    Savings 2018: 1543.11
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 17th Mar 18, 2:00 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Chillies, sweet peppers and tomatoes have now been potted on, and are on a high windowsill in the spare bedroom - well away from hoolicat's paws!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 18th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    I am very behind and won't get anything sown until the w/e. March is running away from me I need to get a wiggle on.
    Originally posted by tootallulah
    I wouldn't panic too much. I don't think March has even arrived yet

With any luck, services will resume mid week for me up the plot. The annual council inspection was supposed to happen yesterday but owing to snow, wind, and the freezing temps, they've put it back a week. So I may still have a bit of time to get something else looking done before then

Plenty of things needing potting on here - peppers, tomatoes, chillies, aubergines etc. That will be today's efforts, as well as going through the seed box and organising whats to go in next
    No sign of the flower seeds I planted two weeks ago in the propagator which is rather disappointing, but we'll hold out faith.

I did manage a visit to the plot Wednesday and managed to get in some spinach, rainbow chard, radishes and beetroot seeds - hopefully they will be ok and have time to recover post snow. I also put my broad bean plants in, covered. Fingers crossed for them too.

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 20th Mar 18, 10:12 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    is that....... sunshine???

Potted on my peppers and chillies. Sown some cabbages for spring greens.
    Now I'm searching out bargains for plastic greenhouses for the garden again this year.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,054Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin