Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 16,671Posts
    • 281,478Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018 2nd Jan 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hello folks and welcome to the 2018 grow your own thread! I'm a day late with this, sorry. You can blame the New Year's Day hangover!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "Allotment Club - mind your peas and cues"
    Last edited by Dizzy Ditzy; 02-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 4
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 5th Feb 18, 10:18 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    My potting compost has just arrived, so despite the (light) snow I'm going out to fill some fibre pots then bring them in to start my tomatoes. The last three tomatoes from last year went in the lasagna on Saturday
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 5th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 20,642 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I have lots of tomato seeds in fibre pots on the kitchen windowsill and on top of the bug-zapper (so warm bottom heat). The ones on the bug-zapper have really germinated well and inside a week. Swapping things around now.

We need to replace the 6 roof panels that are out of the greenhouse but the frame is a bit boogered after the last wind and DH is reluctant to spend days disassembling and reassembling it (me too) so it means there is no straightforward "path" between house and full-on final locations for my seedlings at the moment. And it is snowing.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after March 19.96% 1,996.19/10,000 5.04% behind
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 721.33/3,000 including stores so far 24.04% of my annual budget at the end of April
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 7th Feb 18, 8:02 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Too cold for me again, but I did manage to get some Ailsa Craig and Alicante tomatoes sown in propagators. Next up I need to get my last 8 courgette seeds sown along with celery and peppers
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 10th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Good day to all,

How are our seedlings doing?
    I've lost a tomato sadly but the others seem happier now theyve been potted on.
    The cauliflower has gone leggy - opps and the coriander needs pots soon too.

Nothing happening on my broad beans. The first lot went mouldy and it seems like this lot are heading that way too Any suggestions?

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 10th Feb 18, 9:55 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Too grim out there for me today. My tomatoes haven't popped up yet, but it's been less than a week
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 20,642 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Good day to all,

How are our seedlings doing?
    I've lost a tomato sadly but the others seem happier now theyve been potted on.
    The cauliflower has gone leggy - opps and the coriander needs pots soon too.

Nothing happening on my broad beans. The first lot went mouldy and it seems like this lot are heading that way too Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    67 germinated tomatoes across 6 varieties. What can I say?
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 721.33/3,000 including stores so far 24.04% of my annual budget at the end of April
    My DFD is here
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 51,939 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. I haven't planted any seeds yet as I'm a wuss and don't even want to go out in the greenhouse in this awful weather. I think I left things a bit late last year too, but crops were still good.

I still have leeks to harvest, and the broad beans planted outside in September are doing well. Most of the thirty seeds have grown.

So, I'm going to be inside again today, decorating.
    Savings 2018: 1478.11
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    • 1,975 Posts
    • 20,642 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Morning all. I haven't planted any seeds yet as I'm a wuss and don't even want to go out in the greenhouse in this awful weather. I think I left things a bit late last year too, but crops were still good.

I still have leeks to harvest, and the broad beans planted outside in September are doing well. Most of the thirty seeds have grown.

So, I'm going to be inside again today, decorating.
    Originally posted by Jazee
    Oh don't imagine mine has anything to do with being outside! definitely kitchen based gardening at the moment

All seed potatoes in egg boxes on the drainer and trays on window sills
    My DFD is here
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Feb 18, 2:30 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Snowing on/off again but at least I got out for a while to prepare another propagator. It's either going to be celery or courgette/pepper/maybe chilli

My Ailsa Craig tomatoes have popped up too (well most of them)
    • tibawo
    • By tibawo 11th Feb 18, 3:53 PM
    • 1,086 Posts
    • 9,658 Thanks
    tibawo
    Half term and going the allotment is on the to do list, sadly the weather has other ideas!

Due to a little win on the horses, I decided to invest in 2 dwarf trees, strawberries, rhubarb, flowers for my pots and kale. I see them as a long term investment and things that in time I would have bought.
    After years of debt and living on the breadline feeling nothing but negative about my finances, I am finally feeling that 2018 might be the year I open a savings account and actually use it!
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 11th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Well I've made a start...got the potatoes out of the garage and they are happily chitting in the spare room. Woohoo
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    67 germinated tomatoes across 6 varieties. What can I say?
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Show off

• CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 15th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Finally a day of sunshine and I've got a stinking cold!
    So it's indoor gardening again for me today. I haven't decided exactly what I'm sowing but I'm aiming for at least 5 different somethings. I found some large trays with capillary matting in the allotment shed that I bought in the big garden clearance at Wilko a year or so ago. These will hopefully help keep things organised and moist. Others seem to be drying out and since theyre in the spare room, I forget to go in there to check on things.

A very kind friend who I met via IG has sent me some more seeds from America. PawPaw fruit anyone? Apparently tastes like bananas/custard. It seems quite indepth method for growing from seed. I shall remain optimistic though

• LessImpecunious
    • By LessImpecunious 15th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    LessImpecunious
    I think perhaps its my questionable description that makes them seem different.
    HTH
    Originally posted by CAFCGirl
    Thanks for your explanation CAFCGirl! - sorry, only just seen as I only had a notification today and admit I have not been following the thread as closely as I should - it just reminds me I haven't started anything yet! Hope to try something similar though!
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 16th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 8,506 Posts
    • 17,677 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Thanks for your explanation CAFCGirl! - sorry, only just seen as I only had a notification today and admit I have not been following the thread as closely as I should - it just reminds me I haven't started anything yet! Hope to try something similar though!
    Originally posted by LessImpecunious
    Theres still so much time to get started.
    Im deeply impatient and then I pay the price (as mentioned above) by my seedlings all going leggy and lost

Hope you enjoy the beds. It feels almost alien not to dig, since thats always been the way most have known, or shown to the next generation.

• sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 16th Feb 18, 4:13 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    been to the lottie today to harvest kalettes, collected pots and beetroot from the clamp. Watered the sweet pea plants and winter lettuces. Planted shallots and onions and put glass over to warm the soil and stop them getting too wet which will make them rot in the ground. Sowed broad bean seeds in the greenhouse to start them off. Lovely weather today had to take my jumper off as it was so warm in the greenhouse.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 16th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Good to get out today, finally got around to planting some Longor Shallots. I should have done this in the Autumn but hey ho... Then I had a good tidy up
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 17th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I really hurt today. Which is probably a good thing. Decided my tomatoes are far too leggy - The Ailsa Craig are around 60mm and still on their first pair of seedling leaves. So I ordered some more and I'll make a decision once they arrive. The Alicante are also quite leggy, but not as much so I'm kind of torn on whether to start again or leave them. I might keep half/re-sow half as I've got some Alicante left
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 17th Feb 18, 10:57 AM
    • 4,425 Posts
    • 51,939 Thanks
    Jazee
    Raining here today, so once again weekend gardening is scuppered.
    Savings 2018: 1478.11
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 17th Feb 18, 11:37 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    with leggy seedlings especially toms, when i pot them on I just bury them up to just below the leaves.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,167Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin