Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 16,793Posts
    • 282,014Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018 2nd Jan 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hello folks and welcome to the 2018 grow your own thread! I'm a day late with this, sorry. You can blame the New Year's Day hangover!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "Allotment Club - mind your peas and cues"
    Last edited by Dizzy Ditzy; 02-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 19
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 10th Aug 18, 11:44 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 10,554 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    seed purchases[/B] Where do you all buy from? Do you rate Wilko? Ebay?
    Originally posted by stoozie1
    I usually look at what I already have and are still in date, make a list of what I need and go to the garden centre in August/Sept as they reduce all their seeds to 50p per pack. They usually have a huge tub of veg seeds and the same of flower seeds. I spend a happy hour or so sorting through them. Other gardeners have cottoned on to this sale and there is often a swapping of ideas.

Then I wait until the seed catalogs arrive and spend more time dreaming and occasionally buying.

However, try Nicky's Seed company in Broadstairs Kent, no catalog, good prices, no frill packaging www.nickys-nursery.co.uk

Today picked yellow courgettes, my first tomatoes, 2 aubergines, runner beans, cannelloni beans, basil, cucumbers, 2 peppers. No great glut just enough to keep the two of us going for a few days. The good thing was I went to the supermarket this afternoon and as I walked up and down the veg isle I was saying - don't need that, got some of that at home... it was a really good feeling, just bought frozen peas, mushrooms, a cauliflower and some apples and oranges.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 10-08-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Aug 18, 8:03 AM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 54,245 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello there. Still harvesting here too. Courgettes, first of tomatoes, chilli peppers, cucumbers.......

Re seeds, I still have loads of packets still in date from when I got a monthly gardening magazine. I can't remember the last time I bought any, probably about 3 years ago.

I am now off work for almost 3 weeks so I'm planning to get the garden/allotment tidier and enter it in a competition again as I didn't bother last year.
    Savings 2018: 792.43
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Aug 18, 8:55 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Time to pull up my Red Duke Of York potatoes, unfortunately I forgot they were an experiment in one of the not-so-raised beds that were mere inches from unforgiving boulder clay. Kneeling is not at all easy for me, but managed to get down and after three cramp attacks in two different limbs, settled down to chipping away the dirt to uncover my lovely potatoes before the sun rose over the trees. A Spitfire & Hurricane flew overhead around 11ish (not uncommon round here), I found a couple of bits of clay pipe, and quite a tidy stack of potatoes with very few marbles. For tea - pork chop, mashed potato, runner beans & carrot tops
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 54,245 Thanks
    Jazee
    Had to dig up and throw away my cabbages and cauliflowers as something got at them despite small netting. Now have an empty bed to fill.
    Savings 2018: 792.43
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 12th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2,152 Posts
    • 7,491 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Time to pull up my Red Duke Of York potatoes, unfortunately I forgot they were an experiment in one of the not-so-raised beds that were mere inches from unforgiving boulder clay. Kneeling is not at all easy for me, but managed to get down and after three cramp attacks in two different limbs, settled down to chipping away the dirt to uncover my lovely potatoes before the sun rose over the trees. A Spitfire & Hurricane flew overhead around 11ish (not uncommon round here), I found a couple of bits of clay pipe, and quite a tidy stack of potatoes with very few marbles. For tea - pork chop, mashed potato, runner beans & carrot tops
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    You must be near me I heard the Lanc and Spitfire well before I saw them I think it is the big 100 years of the RAF service at Lincoln Cathedral today. This year has been great for soft fruit and tomatoes but nothing else for me. Hey ho there's always next year!
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 4th August 2018 13,000.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 12th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I've had to bin the cucumber plant as it was half dead. Think I need to invest in some cucumber feed next year, the two cucumbers it grew were huge but the others all turned yellow and shriveled up shortly very early on. The leaves also got badly scorched in the recent heat, clearly need to find a shadier spot for the next one.

On the other hand my tomatoes are still going well, my strawberry plant is growing a few more strawberries, the biggest pepper is slowly starting to turn red, and I've planted some more radish seeds. Only 5 per pot this time, now I know what size they are I can see it's better to space them out a bit more. Still got lots of seeds left in the packet so I'll definitely be growing more of them next year, but will stagger the planting.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - 594.33 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin