Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 16,993Posts
    • 283,514Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018 2nd Jan 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hello folks and welcome to the 2018 grow your own thread! I'm a day late with this, sorry. You can blame the New Year's Day hangover!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "Allotment Club - mind your peas and cues"
    Last edited by Dizzy Ditzy; 02-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 19
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 10th Aug 18, 11:44 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 10,782 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    seed purchases[/B] Where do you all buy from? Do you rate Wilko? Ebay?
    Originally posted by stoozie1
    I usually look at what I already have and are still in date, make a list of what I need and go to the garden centre in August/Sept as they reduce all their seeds to 50p per pack. They usually have a huge tub of veg seeds and the same of flower seeds. I spend a happy hour or so sorting through them. Other gardeners have cottoned on to this sale and there is often a swapping of ideas.

Then I wait until the seed catalogs arrive and spend more time dreaming and occasionally buying.

However, try Nicky's Seed company in Broadstairs Kent, no catalog, good prices, no frill packaging www.nickys-nursery.co.uk

Today picked yellow courgettes, my first tomatoes, 2 aubergines, runner beans, cannelloni beans, basil, cucumbers, 2 peppers. No great glut just enough to keep the two of us going for a few days. The good thing was I went to the supermarket this afternoon and as I walked up and down the veg isle I was saying - don't need that, got some of that at home... it was a really good feeling, just bought frozen peas, mushrooms, a cauliflower and some apples and oranges.
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 10-08-2018 at 11:46 PM.
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Aug 18, 8:03 AM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 55,487 Thanks
    Jazee
    Hello there. Still harvesting here too. Courgettes, first of tomatoes, chilli peppers, cucumbers.......

Re seeds, I still have loads of packets still in date from when I got a monthly gardening magazine. I can't remember the last time I bought any, probably about 3 years ago.

I am now off work for almost 3 weeks so I'm planning to get the garden/allotment tidier and enter it in a competition again as I didn't bother last year.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 11th Aug 18, 8:55 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Time to pull up my Red Duke Of York potatoes, unfortunately I forgot they were an experiment in one of the not-so-raised beds that were mere inches from unforgiving boulder clay. Kneeling is not at all easy for me, but managed to get down and after three cramp attacks in two different limbs, settled down to chipping away the dirt to uncover my lovely potatoes before the sun rose over the trees. A Spitfire & Hurricane flew overhead around 11ish (not uncommon round here), I found a couple of bits of clay pipe, and quite a tidy stack of potatoes with very few marbles. For tea - pork chop, mashed potato, runner beans & carrot tops
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 11th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 55,487 Thanks
    Jazee
    Had to dig up and throw away my cabbages and cauliflowers as something got at them despite small netting. Now have an empty bed to fill.
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 12th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 7,608 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Time to pull up my Red Duke Of York potatoes, unfortunately I forgot they were an experiment in one of the not-so-raised beds that were mere inches from unforgiving boulder clay. Kneeling is not at all easy for me, but managed to get down and after three cramp attacks in two different limbs, settled down to chipping away the dirt to uncover my lovely potatoes before the sun rose over the trees. A Spitfire & Hurricane flew overhead around 11ish (not uncommon round here), I found a couple of bits of clay pipe, and quite a tidy stack of potatoes with very few marbles. For tea - pork chop, mashed potato, runner beans & carrot tops
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    You must be near me I heard the Lanc and Spitfire well before I saw them I think it is the big 100 years of the RAF service at Lincoln Cathedral today. This year has been great for soft fruit and tomatoes but nothing else for me. Hey ho there's always next year!
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 17th September 2018 1,000.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 12th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    I've had to bin the cucumber plant as it was half dead. Think I need to invest in some cucumber feed next year, the two cucumbers it grew were huge but the others all turned yellow and shriveled up shortly very early on. The leaves also got badly scorched in the recent heat, clearly need to find a shadier spot for the next one.

On the other hand my tomatoes are still going well, my strawberry plant is growing a few more strawberries, the biggest pepper is slowly starting to turn red, and I've planted some more radish seeds. Only 5 per pot this time, now I know what size they are I can see it's better to space them out a bit more. Still got lots of seeds left in the packet so I'll definitely be growing more of them next year, but will stagger the planting.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - 761.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 19th Aug 18, 2:07 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 283,514 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    This year I've been selling rhubarb and gooseberries at work - the proceeds will be buying next years seeds in the sale Like many others I've still got loads that will be in date next year so will carry on using those too but the seed pot will get us the stuff we need to buy in

We've had free rein to pick plums off an allotment neighbours trees so I've been doing plum things all weekend - if plum crumbed count as "things"

We lost all of our sprout plants to club root

New plot coming along nicely - my fruit cage has been relocated from old plot A to the new plot A. I pulled the first lot of spuds from old plot A last weekend and next weekend I've got 3 more beds of spuds to sort out. Gradually moving tools and nets and such like to the new plot so in theory, by the end of August it'll all be sorted. We've decided to leave the grapes on the vine as we won't be doing anything with them. I'd quite like eating grapes on the new plot but it's a case of "not enough space to cope with all my ideas" so vertical growing is an almost dead cert for the new plot

Courgettes are coming to an end finally, apples are just starting to come in, cucumbers all over, tomatoes doing just ok, not great

I've got cabbages and French beans planted out on the new plot already and the beans are just becoming pickable now
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

• zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 24th Aug 18, 11:55 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 10,782 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Dizzy Ditsy, you have certainly been busy.
    I just noticed that my courgettes have started to get mildew so I expect that will be the end of them. Fortunately loads frozen so I can use them in my version of ratatouille. Sorry to hear about the sprouts I actually love them especially with chestnuts and bacon. Same here with the tomatoes OK but not great, I grew a variety called 'crimson crush' as we have a bad blight problem, they are definitely blight resistant but I'll have to grow twice as many next year. Cucumbers still doing well, I've frozen the surplus until I think of something to do with them- maybe soup.

Sweet corn is starting to plump up, gherkins slowing down, swiss chard has fallen over, but the fennel is doing well. Leeks are looking promising but won't be ready until the back end of the year, same with the squash.

I actually had to buy a bag of potatoes as I only grew earlies and main ones this year somehow I forgot about second earlies.
    Fruit cage overgrown but a reasonable crop of raspberries coming along. Must go and pick some blackberries off the hedges on this place, it looks to be a good crop this year.

Been quite busy lately so unable to spend as much time as I want on the plot, however things have started to slow down so maybe next week I can sort out a few things. Not gardening but sort of related - We collected the baby turkeys this afternoon but I spent the last few days strimming pathways in the turkey pen, the grass has really grown this last couple of weeks since it rained and would have been higher than the turkeys. Since they don't put themselves to bed like chickens finding them at bedtime to put them away would have been somewhat challenging in three acres.
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • stoozie1
    • By stoozie1 25th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    • 613 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    stoozie1
    I just noticed that my courgettes have started to get mildew so I expect that will be the end of them.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    Sorry for the dumb question, but does that mean that powdery mildew stops the courgette from fruiting?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- 560 April 2670
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 25th Aug 18, 8:25 AM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 55,487 Thanks
    Jazee
    Sorry for the dumb question, but does that mean that powdery mildew stops the courgette from fruiting?
    Originally posted by stoozie1

It means they've dried out so unlikely to produce much more. I cut the leaves off mine and a few are now beginning to fruit again. Just don't put the leaves in the compost bin.

I'll be gardening today/all weekend hopefully. Really enjoying tasty tomatoes at the moment. Need to decide what to sow in my plot where I lost the cabbages and cauliflowers.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 25th Aug 18, 2:47 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Thanks for that - got a bit of powery mildew here, so I'll cut all the affected leaves off and see what happens

Blackberries still going strong - they're all wild brambles, but fascinating to see the different strains, some with open rounded fruit, some tightly packed with almost a flat outer face (the latter are the tastiest)
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 27th Aug 18, 3:35 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 283,514 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Nothing much to report this week - plums have been crumbled and stewed, there are some apple pies in the oven as I type, sweetcorn ready for picking and beetroot needing cooking and pickling.

The last three beds of potatoes at Plot A have been pulled up - one lot was pretty rubbish but edible and the others were pretty good so that's us sorted for potatoes for a good few months

• Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 27th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    • 16,993 Posts
    • 283,514 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    PS the Wilko seed sale appears to have started

• Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 27th Aug 18, 4:35 PM
    • 5,398 Posts
    • 13,883 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Originally posted by Dizzy Ditzy
    Have been to my local Wilko this afternoon and though they didnt have a box full of seeds that I have seen before massively reduced, all the seeds in the gardening aisle were half marked price

Instead of buying willy nilly like I often do, I checked all my seeds at home and the allotment, throwing out quite a few that were out of date and making note of what else i needed.

Got loads of seeds, red and white onion sets, some daff bulbs, gladioli bulbs, and crocuses for just over 15 My mam had treat me to a tenner as she had a premium bond win so all in all cost me a fiver or so. I'm happy with that!

Bogged down with tomatoes. Made lots of pizza sauce a few weeks ago so wanted to try something different. Have made roasted tomato soup and rather pleased with the result! Used large tomatoes but I guess I can use cherries in the same way?

Had a sweetcorn off the plot for lunch with a bit of homemade chilli jam smeared all over it. Beautiful.

Only thing that I dont like about turning all the produce into something is the amount of washing up it creates. I dont have a dishwasher so seem to be forever washing up.

My next job is blackberry cordial. Have put 2 pound in the freezer ready for wine making when the elderberries are ready as well.
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83/Jun 236.71/July 183.73/Aug 251.84/Sep 366.48/Oct 169.63/Nov 214.20/Dec 75.00
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1830.21 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 28th Aug 18, 7:38 AM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 22,870 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Originally posted by Dizzy Ditzy
    Ooh thanks for that nudge!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 90.89% after Q11 against revised stretch target of 60k balance
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 108.06% 12,967.42/12,000 (after upping my target from 10k to 12k in October)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 2,410.06/3,000 including stores 80.34% of my annual budget at the start of Dec.
    My DFD is here
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 28th Aug 18, 8:03 AM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 55,487 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. I need to check my seed stocks too then.

Spent quite a chunk of the weekend cleaning out the greenhouse and harvesting tomatoes. If I get time today I may redo DH's hanging baskets ready for autumn.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 28th Aug 18, 4:43 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Just pulled up the last of my Red Duke Of York potatoes. They were in a not very raised bed just about 8" above boulder clay but they worked. Getting them out of the ground was murder though. Back to proper raised beds for next year I think. Also picked a big tub of tomatoes, and found a pecked damson - which I suppose saves me picking one to check if they're ripe yet...
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 30th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    unrecordings
    ...and the damsons aren't ripe yet. However I just picked a big tub of rosehips - the first proper picking from this plant. Folklore says you should pick them after the first frost, but that just softens the fruit - we've got a freezer for that (and some were starting to go black - so it was now or next year)
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 1st Sep 18, 1:07 AM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 10,782 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I've not been on the plot much for a few days due to having to stand in for folk on holiday and having to do totally unrelated gardening jobs.

Today - just about managed to water the greenhouse before all my Autumn seedlings died. Not much to report except that I've been picking everything I possibly can and freezing everything so as not to waste it. Discovered two more melons ripening under the leaves so put a tile under each one. Tomatoes have been a bit of a disappointment, not many on each plant. I used 'Crimson Crush' as we have blight here, either I need to plant double the amount I grow or try Ferline next year.

Today's bucket full of items were, Mangetout, french and runner beans, courgettes, gherkins, cucs, aubergines, tomatoes, sweetcorn, peppers, basil, baby turnips. I've frozen what we are not going to use over the next couple of days.

Thanks for the heads up on seeds, I think I need to go through what I already have before i buy anything else.

The first of the Autumn/2019 catalogues arrived today. DT Brown. I read it of course but it felt rather strange a bit like advertising for Christmas in the summer. Talking of Christmas we collected the turkey poults last Friday. Bronze and Norfolk Blacks, I let them out for the first time a couple of days ago as it wasn't raining, it's great to see them having freedom and trying to fly but at the moment they are smaller than the vegetation so its quite funny and time wasting to watch their antics.
    November 2018 42.83/100
    • stoozie1
    • By stoozie1 1st Sep 18, 5:24 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    stoozie1
    threw some dodgy potatoes on the compost and now have 7 x 3 inch plants growing. As it's so late in the year, shall I just recompost these, or is there any point persevering with them? RHS site seems to suggest to only plant potatoes in April.

edited to add: Thompson and morgan think it's a method to have potatoes in 12 weeks time, so I'll persevere sorry, as you were!
    Last edited by stoozie1; 01-09-2018 at 5:36 PM.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- 560 April 2670
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,544Posts Today

7,493Users online

Martin's Twitter