Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 16,778Posts
    • 281,964Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018 2nd Jan 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hello folks and welcome to the 2018 grow your own thread! I'm a day late with this, sorry. You can blame the New Year's Day hangover!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "Allotment Club - mind your peas and cues"
    Last edited by Dizzy Ditzy; 02-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 12
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 8th May 18, 10:05 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Lots of things happening here, but not so much on the growing front

Had a new shed/girl cave delivered and erected last Saturday after having the base laid the week before. There is space for the new greenhouse to go, that's being put up a week this Saturday. We have also been replacing the decades old rotting wire fence at the bottom of the garden with some nice picket fence, that's about two thirds complete. Meanwhile...the house is full of leggy tomatoes dying to be potted up and out but not quite hardened off yet, trays of pansies and other bedding plants still on the ironing board....

I have sown some fast growing crops outside in the cold frame, and have some lettuce (tan tan and salad bowl red I think), spinach, beetroot, and spring onions all poking their heads up. Better put some beer traps down before the slugs find them

Still trying not to panic that its too late to sow stuff, just have to keep in mind that spring was 3 to 4 weeks late here.

Hope everyone is growing well
    Let's get ready to bumble!
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 9th May 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Still trying not to panic that its too late to sow stuff, just have to keep in mind that spring was 3 to 4 weeks late here.

Hope everyone is growing well
    Originally posted by smeeinnit
    I'm doing just the same smeeinnit - trying not to panic. The weather here has been so hot I haven't felt like braving the plot except to water it but the jobs keep mounting up and I feel so far behind.
    No chance this afternoon of doing anything as my DH wants to do some fencing so I'll have to help with that and the mornings are always taken up with the animals. Anyone done nightime gardening????
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • kacie
    • By kacie 11th May 18, 5:31 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 2,715 Thanks
    kacie
    One of the courgette seeds I originally did have finally got some leaves on it, I may yet get courgettes this summer!

I do however think I'm not going to need to buy any lettuce this summer, they are grow well.
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 12th May 18, 1:09 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 7,464 Thanks
    tootallulah
    Cleared all the seedlings out of the greenhouse to harden off, got the green house ready for the indoor tomatoes (still think outdoor ones taste better).

Planted out a lot of Cosmos, red flax, dahlias, zinnias etc - my garden is sheltered so hopefully there won't be a frost, and if there is then that is just one of those things! Also sowed some succession seeds for late summer colour, particularly dahlias, chrysanthemums, zinnias. Also planted out some Angel Trumpets, sweet peas, and Chilean vines. Selfishly I am hoping that it will rain a bit to save me having to do loads of watering.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 2nd July 2018 14,000.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 13th May 18, 9:30 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I'm slowly repotting stuff. Tomatoes are coming on fine, and I'm still working out where to put my courgettes. The last bare root apple tree that we planted at the start of the year has just started to properly bud - I was a bit worried that the cold snap had killed it off.
    • kacie
    • By kacie 13th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 814 Posts
    • 2,715 Thanks
    kacie
    I had a walk around the garden centre today and picked up a Black Cherry Tomato plant and a cucumber plant, both need repotting, but I'm out of compost so that will have to wait til I can get some tomorrow hopefully.

I've gained a strawberry plant from my uncle as well, it's in a hanging basket, so hopefully the birds won't eat it all.

I need to sort out my spinach though, it's one I planted from seed last year, and has been doing well, but recently it's been having lots of yellow and spotty leaves.
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 13th May 18, 11:07 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    More plant related activities this week

Sowed lots of flower seeds, runner beans, dwarf beans, resowed some marigolds as they mostly failed. Accidentally left most of my tomato plantlets in the cold frame they seem to be surviving with the little protection they have so I have abandoned them there

The runner beans were my first planting in one of my new raised beds, some blasted cat dug some up and left a present behind too The area is now covered with upturned pots, lolly sticks, cardboard and chicken wire to stop the little darlings.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 14th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 561 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Hello all I planted some baby plants (peppers, chillies, tomato plant and herbs) on my OH's balcony a few days ago and this morning I noticed that the leaves on quite a few have started turning blue - are they outside too early? They are in planters with soil already so would be a bit messy to bring them inside but if it's the cold overnight weather killing them off then I'd rather make a bit of mess than have them die

thank you!
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    unrecordings
    The runner beans were my first planting in one of my new raised beds, some blasted cat dug some up and left a present behind too The area is now covered with upturned pots, lolly sticks, cardboard and chicken wire to stop the little darlings.
    Originally posted by smeeinnit
    I find canes quite effective, or for a quick bit of protection while you wait for something to germinate - trellis is quite good

• smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 14th May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    I find canes quite effective, or for a quick bit of protection while you wait for something to germinate - trellis is quite good

Originally posted by unrecordings
    Love it! Lolly sticks consigned back to the shed
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th May 18, 9:09 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    unrecordings
    That lot is my usual density to deter pigeons and errant footballs. You could get away with a lot less if you just wanted to deter cats. I have some kind of bamboo growing, so I tend to harvest that and let it dry out for a few months. I also use raspberry cane but that only lasts a season
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 19th May 18, 7:39 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 2,261 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Well I'm now joining this thread as I'm trying my hand at some growing for the first time ever! Bought a strawberry plant from outside a house down the road about 2 weeks ago and discovered yesterday that it's growing some fruit already! I haven't killed it!

With that in mind me and DH went to the local garden centre today to buy a bigger pot for the strawberry plant to go in to, and I ended up coming away with two small tomato plants, and one each of a baby corn, cucumber, and a red pepper, along with radish seeds and carrot seeds, and larger pots for them all too.

Everything has now been transplanted in to bigger pots (or planted in the case of the seeds), and now the waiting and watering game begins. I'm not too fussed if something doesn't make it, I'm not very good plants as I don't have much practice. But I wanted to give it a go this year and see what survives, and then next year I can take it a bit more seriously and maybe think about a proper raised bed or similar. If it all dies then I'll just grow some nasturtiums instead, had lots of success with those as a child XD
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - 471.59 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 19th May 18, 8:48 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Radishes are supposed to be really easy to grow, but for some reason mine are generally just thin red sticks. You might not get very far with the single corn (sweetcorn I assume). You need a block of these to get successful pollination. This growing lark is addictive though...
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 19th May 18, 9:02 PM
    • 5,223 Posts
    • 13,149 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Welcome to the thread Vintage Historian.

I guarantee once you have tasted homegrown strawberries, you will be hooked!

My courgettes are going out tomorrow. They look very healthy and hoping someone will keep them watered whilst I am away in sunnier climes the next couple of weeks.

6 of the butternut squash seeds have germinated too so I will be so pleased if something comes of them as they were in effect free.

Have more tomato plants than we can handle in the greenhouses. Tried some outside last year but they didnt fare well.

Dad seems keen to keep on top of things and daughter has promised to water regular for me but I dread to think what I will come back to.
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83/Jun 236.71/July 125.53
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1012.88 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626
    • smeeinnit
    • By smeeinnit 19th May 18, 10:28 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    smeeinnit
    Slight setback today, the greenhouse fitter opened the kit and found I had been sent the wrong size greenhouse so I now have to negotiate the correct greenhouse and fitting at no cost to me. I had to pay the fitter in full but he was very fair and said if the supplier of the greenhouse won't cover his return visit he will give me a discount. I will claim against my credit card as a last resort. The thing that has annoyed me more is that I will have to rejig my plans for my crops. I had planned to grow some of my tomatoes and cucumber in the greenhouse, so I guess I will just have to make the best of growing them outside. its going to be a good few weeks before this is sorted.

However, broad beans are flowering very well, strawberries are setting fruit as are the redcurrants, blackcurrants and raspberries. I have lettuce, spinach and beetroot ready to transplant and my shallots are looking fab, the minimum they have split into is 4 so should be a pretty good crop from just 8 sets.

So I should be thankful for the successes so far and adjust my plans, I'm sure I will feel better about it in the morning!
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 21st May 18, 12:44 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 7,464 Thanks
    tootallulah
    My ancient staging collapsed overnight causing about 80 potted up Zinnias to be all over the floor! apparently they don't like root disturbance but hey ho I've replanted what was not too badly damaged gave them a good water and have moved them into the shade, hopefully some will survive. New staging ordered from Wilkos as I need to get a lot more seedlings potted up. I have two days off in this glorious weather - wonderful. Each evening I have been planting out 20 plants rather than try and do them all in a big blitz, this is much less stressful and the garden is already looking pleasantly full. Gardening is good for the soul.
    Mortgage House 45,000, 26 January 2018, 2nd July 2018 14,000.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 22nd May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    unrecordings
    It's nearly the end of the wild garlic season, so I decided to harvest a couple of dozen leaves and try them in the herb dryer - I'll let you know how that goes. I started to clear my Japanese spinach then realised they were developing seed pods, which odds on will taste quite nice fried in a little butter (or just in Ramen) - so I left them to develop
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 25th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    unrecordings
    RAIN !!!
    HURRAY !!!

In other news I have my first courgette developing, it was about an inch long last night
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 26th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 4,566 Posts
    • 53,365 Thanks
    Jazee
    I have spent pretty much all day in the greenhouse potting stuff on and out. There are now no seedlings in the house. Still some begonias to pot on but I'm waiting on a delivery of 200 plant pots for those. I have to have flowers in the garden too as DH said he felt as though he was sitting on an allotment.
    Savings 2018: 747.43
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 27th May 18, 12:03 AM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 10,488 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    t's a while since I posted on here so I'm not sure where I was up to.

Today pulled up 3 garlic bulbs because I need the space - they were huge but I'm well please with them Pulled up some shallots as they had started to bolt. I shall salvage what I can and chop and freeze them for stews etc as they probably won't store.

I made 4 x frames out of old bamboo sticks, old butterfly netting and some cable clips as my Hurst Green Shaft peas need something to climb up, it cost nothing and will do the job.

finished sowing the parsnips and carrots outdoors.
    Staked the aubergines indoors - my cucumber has died but fortunately I've another one coming along in the greenhouse which I shall plant out later.

Managed to ferret about and find some new potatoes which are just coming online, not many but enough for tea. Strawberries are in flower.

Forgot to water the tunnels - well actually I didn't forget but I was busy helping to catch one of the 'I don't want to be caught mares' It took almost 2hrs - the little dear!!! 9pm when we finished.

Tomorrow I must erect the bean frame and put out the runner beans and the French climbing ones. I'm not growing too many this year just 12 runners and 24 climbing ones. That should be enough to eat fresh and some to freeze
    I also must do the main potatoes tomorrow - I do the no dig method, it's so easy and I get a huge crop. Not sure what else, the paths need tidying but it depends on the time I have.

to everyone - do have a productive bank holiday - weather permitting
    Last edited by zafiro1984; 27-05-2018 at 12:05 AM.
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter