Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 16,795Posts
    • 282,020Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018 2nd Jan 18 at 5:21 PM
    Hello folks and welcome to the 2018 grow your own thread! I'm a day late with this, sorry. You can blame the New Year's Day hangover!

Everyone is welcome. Come and tell us about your growing shenanigans

What do you like to grow?

Are you going to try anything different this year?

Did you try anything different last year? Did you like it? Would you grow it again?

Do you have any tips for growing?

Do you make anything with what you grow?

How much does growing your own save you?

Happy new year, and happy growing!

I'll use this post for links that folks might find useful. If you want something adding in, please just let me know

There's a fab Facebook group called "Allotment Life" I'm not affiliated to it in any way but it's a fab little group. It's a closed group but is worth looking up if you're on Facebook. Or there is a fab group called "Allotment Club - mind your peas and cues"
    Last edited by Dizzy Ditzy; 02-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
Page 10
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 8,580 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    I ended up the other day cutting the grass with shears as it's still too wet for the mower. Hope I don't have to do that again.

Amazed at the courgettes indoors, just 12 days since planting and they are 6 inches tall. 11 plants though, I really don't need that many.
    Originally posted by Jazee
    I am green with envy. 12 days since planting, nothing. What is your secret?
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - £500 +
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £4096/£6,000
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 13th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 8,580 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Just been upstairs, another runner bean seed had germinated. That is two out of twelve, yay! I have moved it to the window sill next to the other one.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 4,650 Posts
    • 54,316 Thanks
    Jazee
    I am green with envy. 12 days since planting, nothing. What is your secret?
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    No secret. I just hope for the best each year. Itís the reason I planted so many. I didnít expect them to germinate.
    Savings 2018: £792.43
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 14th Apr 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 8,580 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Went down to the garden centre and bought some 1/2 hoops to put betting over to keep the butterflies, birds and cats off my seedlings.
    Also bought 6 money maker tomato plants. Reported them in when I got home. They are now positioned inside by the patio doors.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 14th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Had a nice bonfire today and got rid of several tubs of stuff that was drying in the garage. I was worried the the Poundland fruit trees I got in January were dead, but the the cherry is coming into leaf and I can see buds developing on the two apple trees. Meanwhile a robin seems to have nested in the garage in a cubby hole surrounded by oil cans
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 15th Apr 18, 9:40 AM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 10,554 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    Moved most things into the greenhouse; the one with broken panes, covered everything with fleece and hoping. I thought I'd use the greenhouse to do my pricking out and potting on - that was until yesterday morning!!!!

I have a potting bench and next to it was a bag of compost about two/thirds full. As I reached into it something flew out - a robin had made its nest in there and laid six eggs. Now everything is being quietly moved into a polytunnel and I'll have to buy more compost.

I was going to spend most of yesterday afternoon potting on and pricking out but ended up helping DH mend the fencing around one of our fields so we can move all our youngsters into it. Should be fun moving them as they are an unruly bunch.
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 15th Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,556 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Finally stuck some beans, herbs, spring onions, courgettes and cabbagey things into coir modules; not much point doing it earlier, as everything has just been too wet to consider planting out - it's so wet, I'd expect it to take a good fortnight of proper spring weather to get from sodden to merely a bit soggy.

Spuds are busy looking monstrous on the windowsill - I think I'll shove them into the bed with the raspberries, as nowt else gets a look in there; I think spuds will be about the only things capable of holding their own.

I MUST order some compost. But not for the next week, as the OH is away and I need him here to accept the delivery.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 15th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 5,268 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Had a lovely four hours or so at the allotment today. Just me and the radio. Sun was even out for the first part!!

I have 3 beds of straberries which were looking very sorry for themselves with dead leaves and runners going all over the place.

Have managed to give them a good prune and they look loads better.

Did a bit of weeding.......always weeding to do.

Then I decided to give the shed a bit of a tidy. Got rid of some broken glass and other bits as there was a skip at the entrance to allotments.

Tidied out some tubs and hanging baskets and replenished them with some new compost.

Picked some rhubarb and will make a crumble in the morning.

Still have a few leeks in though they are a bit thin. Must clear that bed next time I go.

Sown some beetroot and left them in the greenhouse. Never really had success with beetroot before so fingers crossed.
    Make £10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/£163.14/Feb £116.10/March £5,060.77/April £160.28/May £124.83/Jun £236.71/July £183.73/Aug £164.61
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1162.77 miles
    Mortgage...£47,070£46,092£45,626.£44,182
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 16th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    been to a very wet under foot allotment, i think we will have to give it a couple of days to dry out before we put any pots in. Been and watered greenhouse, which is full of seedlings, Got out broad bean plants to harden off. Pulled out kale and kalettes as they were trying to flower. Harvested PSB, lettuce and forced rhubarb. Sowned carrots in raised bed as it was the only piece of ground not sodden
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 19th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 17,695 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Some glorious weather happening here. Annoyingly though I have to be incredibly careful in it so as to not trigger my sun allergy.

Allotment isnt looking too shabby at the moment. I've put radishes, spinach, chard, leeks, silverskin pickling onions, shallots and onion sets in. Sunflowers got inter-planted with my peas. Hoping there's been some progress on the beetroot. This is my 3rd year of attempting them and I've never managed to get them to pop up!

Seedlings at home seem to be doing well. The Moneymaker tomatoes seem to be a bit blah though. The gardeners delight and oxheart are doing well. My early sweetcorn will be ready to go out soon. They are going to be inter-planted with the yugoslavian finger squashes I've got going on. Courgettes got potted on till I ran out of compost at home - opps!
    I've sown some more sweetcorn, some mixed lettuce and some calabrese.

Just need to get a new cover from the mini growhouse in the garden sorted and some more compost - the never ending need for compost.

Our wormery seems to be doing ok. They're pretty quick little movers in there! I've started giving them the veg peelings from the kitchen now so they're moving up. Apparently it takes 4 months to produce a tray's worth of compost.

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 20th Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    CAFCgirl we had a similar problem with beetroot, we now sow some in pots and then when big enough transplant, soil and seedlings into a hole and fill in. First lot of pots went in yesterday OH said ground was still really wet when he dug one spade depth but they need to go in. Just another 9 rows to go. Picked PSB and made broccoli welsh rarebit on toast. Think PSB will flower this week with heat which is a shame as its only just started producing. Sown mangtoot. Very hot in the greenhouses hoping the seedlings cope with the heat.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 20th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Two days of really good sunshine and I can still see evidence of groundwater. My Japanese Spinach is bolting and the pigeons are having a field day (as least it keeps them off my Kale, which is also starting to bolt.)
    Perennial herbs like Lovage and Lemon Verbena are starting to come back to life, and the Blackthorns I planted a couple of years ago are just starting to flower, so hopefully I'll be making sloe gin in the Autumn. In a similar vein, the beech is just coming into leaf, so I plan to make some more Beech Leaf Noyau, and the Woodruff is just at the right stage for picking the young leaves. Lots to do...
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 21st Apr 18, 6:49 AM
    • 2,012 Posts
    • 21,315 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

I have a potting bench and next to it was a bag of compost about two/thirds full. As I reached into it something flew out - a robin had made its nest in there and laid six eggs. Now everything is being quietly moved into a polytunnel and I'll have to buy more compost.
    Originally posted by zafiro1984
    How lovely. We have a wren in the corner of our lean-to outside the back door - the closed protected corner (it is open on two sides). Hopefully they will rear two batches again but we are a lot later than last year.

Bunnies - millions (well, tens) of rabbits. So cute but they are decimating our garden and my asparagus bed. I need a man with a ferret....
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - after June 55.17% £5,517.10/£10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,288.55/£3,000 including stores so far 42.95% of my annual budget at the end of June
    My DFD is here
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 21st Apr 18, 7:25 AM
    • 4,650 Posts
    • 54,316 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Today I need to cut the grass, do some weeding and pot on the courgettes as a minimum. It's nice to be eating salad from the garden though. I planted my cherry tree out earlier in the week.
    Savings 2018: £792.43
    • zafiro1984
    • By zafiro1984 21st Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 1,340 Posts
    • 10,554 Thanks
    zafiro1984
    I got told off on Wednesday by my surgeon at the Royal Brompton Heart Hosp for doing too much so soon after my op. The trouble is I feel very well and forget I'm not supposed to lift or exert myself. So in order to pace what I do I have decided to just do one raised bed a day plus one extra job come rain or shine. Fortunately the raised beds are only 6'x4' so I reckon I'll have finished them in a fortnight.

Thursday, (Bed 1) weeded and planted out my onions which I had growing in modules, covered them with fleece and netted them as I have serious problem with rabbits and pigeons.
    Extra job - moved the germinated seedling from the utility room into the greenhouse.

Friday:- We were out most of the day so I didn't get onto the plot until 6pm. (Bed 2) Weeded and got it ready for shallots

Today:- Still on bed 2, planted out all the shallots that were in modules and put more onions in the space left, watered and netted them.
    Started on Bed 3, I was going to pull out all the leeks that were still in that bed and then weed, muck and make a frame for the climbing french beans - but it started to rain - not just a bit but a real downpour.

As you may gather I'm already one day behind - I'm not sure whether or not I should just finish 'Bed 3' tomorrow or try to do 'Bed 4' as well - maybe one in the morning and the other in the afternoon - I'll see what the weather is doing.
    May Grocery challenge 117.37/150 only got 32.63 left
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 21st Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    unrecordings
    I'd say take it easy. I know it's going berzerk out there, everything needs doing. I'm having to pace myself, as I'm getting tired very quickly. I'm sat here mildly annoyed that I've still another hour and a half of light and it's nice and cool, but hey ho. Tomorrow, hopefully finally planting potatoes. Then maybe figure out where to put the peas (which are maybe a month late). Finished my annual herb bed. Sowed Chervil, Cornflower, Spring Onions, and a handful of 'use them or lose them' seeds. Also need to clear out the Japanese Spinach, but in a non wasteful way - it does seem to keep really well in the fridge - maybe I should try drying some...
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 23rd Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 2,885 Posts
    • 8,580 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    1st courgette plant has just appeared ( germinated)
    Tomato plants that I bought as seedlings doing well.
    Beetroot plants - have some seedlings appear.
    Cherry tomato - got 4 plants germinated.
    Rocket and spinach coming through.
    Carrots have started to make an appearance.
    (I know it is early) have planed out two runner bean plants - needed the poles as support. They had been out over the past few days.
    Blueberries/ black currants and raspberries all have lots of buds on.
    Rhubarb ready to start picking.

Over the weekend did some weeding

??? Two of my black currant bushes - the leaves are being eaten - started to have a look for the culprit (s) can't see anything. Will look again tomorrow.
    • CAFCGirl
    • By CAFCGirl 24th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 17,695 Thanks
    CAFCGirl
    Slugs and snails decimated my peas and sunflowers down to the ground! Blighters.

Need to get some more seed compost and start again. Grrrr

10 years and still don't have a clue what I'm doing
    • wishuponastar
    • By wishuponastar 24th Apr 18, 10:58 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    wishuponastar
    Germinating butternut squash
    So I'd decided to try to germinate some butternut squash seeds, having never done it before. I threw a whole lot (about 40 from 1 squash) into two containers (about 8cm x 4cm each) thinking I'd not have such a good germination rate as it's been quite cold until recently so I was surprised, their embryonic leaves are huge! (I'm used to the tomato and pepper tiny leaves)

Anyway turns out they are all seeming to show signs of germination and I've now got about 10 that have come up with their leaves above the soil line. When the first two came up I repotted them into bigger pots each so they have more room but now gotta do the rest. It's exciting but now wishing I'd taken the time now to individually plant them as now it's more work taking care of the roots etc.

It is exciting though.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 24th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 5,268 Posts
    • 13,368 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    So I'd decided to try to germinate some butternut squash seeds, having never done it before. I threw a whole lot (about 40 from 1 squash) into two containers (about 8cm x 4cm each) thinking I'd not have such a good germination rate as it's been quite cold until recently so I was surprised, their embryonic leaves are huge! (I'm used to the tomato and pepper tiny leaves)

Anyway turns out they are all seeming to show signs of germination and I've now got about 10 that have come up with their leaves above the soil line. When the first two came up I repotted them into bigger pots each so they have more room but now gotta do the rest. It's exciting but now wishing I'd taken the time now to individually plant them as now it's more work taking care of the roots etc.

It is exciting though.
    Originally posted by wishuponastar
    Thanks for that......I saved some seeds from butternut squasy about a month ago and not done anything with them.

Will try and get them sown this week. I hope I have success like yours

Five of my nine courgettes are doing brilliant. Will need potting on soon. Will plant them out just before my twoo week hol at end of May. Put them out too early last year. They all died and had to start again.
    Make £10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/£163.14/Feb £116.10/March £5,060.77/April £160.28/May £124.83/Jun £236.71/July £183.73/Aug £164.61
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1162.77 miles
    Mortgage...£47,070£46,092£45,626.£44,182
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin