Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 30,028Posts
    • 174,023Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
Page 83
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Nov 18, 9:29 AM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 11,426 Thanks
    themadvix
    Oh, hope genealogy improves (and maybe awful person won't be there next time??!)

Rtandon - totally get the mourning of old, reliable appliances - they should last forever!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Nov 18, 10:11 AM
    • 30,028 Posts
    • 174,023 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks madvix!

Happy Christmas!

Geanology group might grow on you? Its good that it's local.
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Yep, the local bit is crucial, I need local contacts badly. And like the healthy walks thing, I hope it *will* grow on me, you're right.

Ooooo - Amazon vouchers - always a well appreciated reward!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    Interestingly, I've now got exactly £250 from SB since I joined in January this year, and its all gone to Amazon vouchers I didn't realise it was that much

Popping in to report that our new vacuum will be arriving today !?! a complete surprise as it said 3 to 5 days! was contemplating a duct tape job on the old one to do a bit of hoovering!

Guess I should mentally prepare to send the old one to its grave - tell me I'm not the only one who feels sad to get rid of old trusty & true reliable goods? Maybe it is something from across the pond where we buy something sturdy and expect it to last forever
    I felt quite a pang when my trusty old Hotpoint died (that tells you how long ago it was!) Bought it when I bought my first house, in 1987, and for a couple of years I had 4 - 5 lodgers at that house, it took a lot of punishment. Never had a thing wrong with it till it finally died, aged 20 Nothing can compare to that!

Oh, hope genealogy improves (and maybe awful person won't be there next time??!)
    Originally posted by themadvix
    I've paid for the year (once a month, a total of £7.70 absolute bargain) and I'm perfectly willing to give it a go. The blather from that woman was partly my own fault, I heard her talking about motorbikes, and there's three life-changing incidents to do with motorbikes in my family, so I wanted to know more. But once I asked, she just kept going next time, I won't rev the engine so hard
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Nov 18, 12:54 PM
    • 57,965 Posts
    • 238,416 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wow, that is a great total on SB's
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Nov 18, 4:56 PM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 14,777 Thanks
    rtandon27
    250 in swagbucks - wow - much more than I'd have thought - an average of 25 per month is not bad at all!
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Nov 18, 5:41 PM
    • 30,028 Posts
    • 174,023 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yep, I'm really chuffed with it - a fair bit is on offers, like this 950SB if you redeem a voucher (I won't go through the excruciatingly fiddly faff to explain it, its clear when you start doing it, I promise). I didn't think it was at that level either, to be honest, and thats the value of keeping note of what your mse ways bring in

Got hooked into my genealogy studies - but I did get outside, sweeping up leaves to store them to decompose and then put on the garden. Plus I met my neighbour (party wall neighbour), she'd given me an inkling of her bad news when we nattered during the Air Ambulance appearance the other day, but its definite now, she's got breast cancer, and she's facing chemo, mastectomy, the lot, and she's younger than me.

Take care of your health, folks, every way you can. I'm remiss myself, I haven't had the flu jab yet, but thats very small potatoes compared to what she's facing.

xxx
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Nov 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 11,343 Thanks
    pinkypig
    You do so well with your surveys and things. I'm ashamed to say i never stick with it. I start well then sort of dwindle

Enjoy the rest of your weekend xx
    MFW 2018 #157 Target £15,000

£21,220.89/£15,000
    • greent
    • By greent 11th Nov 18, 8:09 AM
    • 7,507 Posts
    • 76,186 Thanks
    greent
    Interestingly, I've now got exactly £250 from SB since I joined in January this year, and its all gone to Amazon vouchers I didn't realise it was that much
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Wow - that's really impressive, Kc! x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £7127.06/£7500
    Net sales 2018 £718.06/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) Done £18918.90
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 11th Nov 18, 8:12 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 24,271 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Sorry to hear about your neighbour, it really hits home. At least we are here x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel savings £3203/5k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Nov 18, 10:07 AM
    • 30,028 Posts
    • 174,023 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Armistice Centenary
    As I've mentioned a lot about genealogy in the last few days in particular, this is a snapshot of the men in my family who were alive at the time:

My grandfather ALA, an engineer in England in a reserved occupation, never called up.

My great grandfather AA, whereabouts and date of death unknown – he abandoned his family in 1891

My great grandfather GW, a railway clerk in his 50s.

My grandfather FS, a 13 year old boy about to start work on Liverpool Docks after his father died in 1914 and his grandfather in 1917.

My great grandfather CW, 37 years old, who'd enlisted in 1914, married with four children as he was. One of those working class men who was never fit enough to serve abroad – he was a Military Policeman in Kent, and in and out of hospital for the whole of the war. Demobbed (they called it disembodied then!) in June 1919.

There were war deaths in more distant parts of the family, brothers in law and cousins of these men for instance, but by the luck of the draw and the way the generations happen to have been born, none of my direct ancestors were involved in the carnage.
    Retired August 2016
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 12th Nov 18, 8:11 AM
    • 7,277 Posts
    • 15,952 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Hope you don't mind me dropping in KC. I was intrigued by your post on Suffolk Lasses diary about my Norway cruise and whether we were on the same. I know now that we went with different cruise lines and at different times of year but looking at your photos on flicker a similar itinerary. We did Bergen, Flam, Stavanger and Olden. Your diary is so interesting and I will sit down when I have more time and go through it chronologically. I am on Ancestry too and am planning a trip next April to the Family History Society workshops at the Alexandra Palace with my DD1 who is a history buff. Interesting reading about the men in your family especially this time of year, Remembrance Sunday. A different world then.

I also want to join U3a next year. I only retired last December so have resisted joining up to lots of things but our local U3a does a walking group on a day I can manage outside of the childcare I do for my DGDs so will get on to that in the new year.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Nov 18, 9:33 AM
    • 30,028 Posts
    • 174,023 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hello enthusiastic saver, how nice to meet you

That's a very similar itinerary for the Norwegian trip, absolutely and I really loved it - even though there's so much else to see in Norway, I feel I've had a chance to know quite a bit of the country, which chuffs me no end.

Yikes to the idea of going through my diary chronologically it's been going for a *long* time! But yes, I do blather about a lot

You're right, it was such a different world back then, people don't really get it. I could write an essay about that, I've deleted three sentences already so I'll leave that as it stands!

Congratulations on retiring - it's been just over two years for me, but honestly, I'm only just starting to get to the right space - a lot has happened that was never intended, of course, and coping with all of that takes a lot of time. U3A is a great institution, and there's more out there too - like the local council's healthy walks, and since the next one is in literally 28 minutes, I'm going to shut down the computer, and read everyone else's diaries when I get back!

Have a good day al

xxx
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 12th Nov 18, 4:14 PM
    • 1,980 Posts
    • 11,426 Thanks
    themadvix
    Thanks for the insight into your family in the First World War Karma - not too dissimilar to mine, only my great-granddad on one side served. Others were the wrong age or reserved occupations too. The bit about it being a different world is so true. I can't even begin to imagine the selflessness of those who lived through the wars (whether serving or on the home front) - and I consider myself to be a relatively educated (history degree) person! I'm going to try to get my Brownies to understand some of what we mean by 'gave their lives for us' on Friday, but I'm not sure how much they'll be able to relate as the world we live in is so different, even in the basics.

Hope you enjoyed your walk!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 12th Nov 18, 6:10 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 24,271 Thanks
    earthgirl
    I don't think I understand enough about life in the past, and I've vowed to find out more about it, especially life for women. Thanks for the snapshot KC. Hope the walk was a good one.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel savings £3203/5k
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Nov 18, 6:11 PM
    • 57,965 Posts
    • 238,416 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you had a happy walk
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Nov 18, 10:09 PM
    • 30,028 Posts
    • 174,023 Thanks
    Karmacat
    What lovely thoughtful responses to come back to, thank you all My walk was nice, a bit of a different route, and people are talking about a Christmas lunch, which I'm in favour of but they're also talking about a big 3 course thing for £26 at lunchtime? Um, no - I'll go if thats all thats on offer, but I *will* be having most of it as a takeaway if I'm eating out at lunchtime, the most I can cope with is a soup.

The different world ... well, I've written and deleted a book since I came online this evening! I'll do the exercise for family women that I did for the men, I think thats the best thing. I sidetracked myself onto the differences between now and when I was little - when we went into Liverpool, there was still a lot of empty land from bomb damage, and although some of the old assumptions about duty still held, it's the stories about the Blitz that I remember.

Although I love history and genealogy, I'm a future facing person in terms of how I want to live. I'll stick with that, and a couple of elderly relatives were like that too: it's never "everyone", there's always been bolshie gits like me
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Nov 18, 11:40 PM
    • 8,316 Posts
    • 41,607 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Did you see that programme on BBC2 yesterday? 'They shall not grow old', made from old actual footage from the first world war, including in the trenches, restored and colourised. It was quite something, really very moving to know they were the actual people, not actors, and so very young (And such bad teeth! what a thing to notice ) I recomend a box of tissues if you do watch it...

Funny you should mention the bomb damage in Liverpool - you may know that the house I grew up in was on one of the temporary estates built to house people from Liverpool whose homes had been bombed. Clearly not that temporary - we moved there in 1984 �� they clad them in insulation & brick in the 1990s and put in cental heating and they're still going strong.
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

4,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin