Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,740Posts
    • 171,494Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 70
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 15th Sep 18, 11:04 AM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 28,133 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    CBC, that's amazing! The kindness of strangers indeed, it's a wonderful thing I'm really pleased for you. And well done for looking at the real costs of a day there, thats very sensible. Let us know if the package holds unexpected goodies for you

I'm in catsittingland, and because my previous stay was so recent, they sort of remember me - the timid one got up on the bed this morning, and it took her 7 days to do that last time I'm very chuffed. Mind you, an hour later she threw up I'm off to meet a friend later on, who lives in Brixton, so I'll be checking up very carefully before I do.

Early morning has been the same here as at home - nice strong coffee and faffing about with SB. Very disappointed I can't find The Walking Dead on Netflix UK, grrr, I don't want to buy it, but I do want to watch it. Never satisfied, me
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Lovely news about the cat remembering you. Not so lovely about the throwing up though. I miss my lovely cat so much but not the cleaning up of vomit

Sorry to hear about the Netflix problem. Can't help, I'm afraid, as it's not a situation we have as we only have free Freeview for our TV watching. I hope you get it sorted out so you can enjoy The Waking Dead.

I was amazed by the researcher at the local archive centre (local to the events I was researching anyway) as I didn't expect to talk to him. I phoned to pay so they could send the copies out and I knew the researcher is on leave next week. I'm impatient to get them so I didn't procrastinate for once. That was an event in itself. I asked the lady who took my card details if she could inform the researcher that I'd already paid and she told me he was next door in his office and she'd put me through to him.

After his greeting he told me that he'd been really pleased to do this research because he remembered the events vividly as he was around at the time (1984) and sort of involved. I don't know why but from his previous emails I'd assumed he was a much younger man. It was especially nice to talk to him as he had the local accent of my home area. I expect I have a watered-down version still myself but hearing anyone on TV in a drama or anything speaking that way (when they get it absolutely right) is a lovely blast from the past. The downside of talking to the researcher though was that he sounded uncannily like my late brother. A bit unnerving to be honest

Have a good time with your Brixton friend. It's always good to have a catch-up.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9111. Under £10K at long last.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Sep 18, 5:18 PM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,494 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oof, I bet it was, especially as your brother died so recently Scouse is such a popular accent, I don't have any trouble hearing it though it can be done *so* badly. I'm just watching Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, with Julie Walters, Annette Bening and Jamie Bell, and they're doing *really* well.

Cat is still alive, and happy, friend was doing really well and interested in my recent experiences on preparedness and finances, so I'll be able to share lots of detail with her as well as nattering like crazy for the last 3 hours
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Sep 18, 6:32 PM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,494 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Banking woes in London
    Boy oh boy. Network Rail and Lloyds Bank have conspired to make this day *so* stressful for all three of us:
    - problems on Merseyrail, different train needed to London.
    - problems outside Euston, delayed another 30 minutes. We need to return to Euston by 1510, the clock is already ticking.

- guy we were supposed to see for identity checks, at 1pm, is ill, so meeting cancelled. No one at the KX branch has the authority to do the checks. No meeting room is available. No chairs available in the foyer till very late in the day. No apology forthcoming until we started to talk about turning up in good faith.
    - running, literally running, back to KX to get the tube up to Camden, that branch has someone available. They say they will see us immediately we arrive. We need to get my brother to Euston for the 1510, the fare costs are already astronomical.
    - that man isn't there, but someone else is, and we run through the ID checks. She asks the right questions, but mumbles them to her computer. She ignores most of our documents, and only checks our passports, that bit is fair enough, but odd.

- She's puzzled as to why we've arranged this appointment so suddenly. We haven't, we all say, to which I add, we're coping with a problem created by Lloyds Bank. If a staff member is ill, apparently, a central unit is supposed to phone that person's appointments and find other branches to take up the slack. We've been living on our phones the whole day, because of transport and appointment issues, and no one has tried to contact us.

- the guy we're supposed to see will see us now. We tell him about our 1510 deadline too. My brother isn't used to London connections, and doesn't believe we'll make it, but I used Camden tube for 10 years, and I know we can. He's too stressed to hear me.
    - this was supposed to be about ID, but this guy suddenly says he needs to see the death certificate and the probate. These were certified by the bank branch on Merseyside, but the guy says they had no right to do that, he has to see them, while we're seeing him right now. Thanks to gods and little fishes, my brother has brought them. Crisis over, we think.
    - but this guy piles on the final agony by telling us that since our mother was also a customer of Lloyds Bank, it is necessary that we have her bank details. Of her account that was closed in December 2016, by me. Eruptions, they've gone too far, and each of us is ready to sue them within an inch of their corporate marketing strategy. He suddenly remembers he can fill that in later, without us being there.

I remind the guy of how much we're trusting them, they have copies of all sorts of our documents, and we literally run to the tube station with nothing at all in our hands to confirm we've had these meetings. If they decide to continue playing dirty, we're stuffed.

We made it to Euston in enough time that we could get my brother a cuppa tea for *immediate* consumption.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Sep 18, 6:54 PM
    • 56,771 Posts
    • 230,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    What a dire day for you all.
    I have no faith in them sadly as they shredded without consent a friends late DH's will.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th Sep 18, 7:07 PM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    rtandon27
    OH my - what a faff with the bank!

Sorry the three of you had such a trying day!
    1 YEAR & 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th Sep 18, 7:31 PM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,494 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thank you both!

Beanie, very sorry to hear of your friend's experience that's horrendous. And probably illegal.
    RT, yep, it was bad for all three of us - I had it easiest, because my journey was within London, it didn't take me long at all to get back here. Acting like a zombie, of course
    Retired August 2016
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 18th Sep 18, 8:42 AM
    • 16,645 Posts
    • 109,845 Thanks
    gallygirl

Hope the day hasn't any health repercussions for you KC. At least it's done but I don't see why it had to be done in London with you all present in the first place?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Sep 18, 10:12 AM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,494 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks gally! We were told its their version of identity fraud precautions - we all had to be in the same room at the same time to go through the identity documents. London was actually the most convenient place for us all to meet, once we analysed all the stuff happening over the next 4 weeks, astonishingly enough.

Thanks for your thoughts on the health repercussions too. I feel okay today, tired but okay. I'm actually sore from the running - we ran a *lot*. I'm going out to lunch today, which is good, cos it'll get me out of the house, but that's it The fatigue builds up over days, but it didn't come back in Norway, where I was much more tired than I am now, so it shouldn't come back here, as long as I get a bit more sleep soon.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Sep 18, 3:46 PM
    • 56,771 Posts
    • 230,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your lunch

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 18th Sep 18, 4:23 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 28,133 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    OH, KC, what a truly horrendous day you and your siblings had. It reminded me of those horrible dreams where something just has to be done by a certain time but everything conspires to stop it happening. The sort of dream where you wake up in an agitated state. I dream very rarely, well probably do but never remember my dreams and they aren't usually disturbing. The few I do have are the kind I've just described. Poor you had to experience it in real life. I'm so glad it had a happy ending with your brother catching his train and you not feeling too fatigued. Imagine having to run through the streets. Very remiss of Lloyds to have made such a hash of things. I'm not a fan of Lloyds, they've caused me a lot of grief over the years through their ineptness (is there such a word?) and generally just being unhelpful

Well, I've a good result to report. I claimed my YouGov payment last Tuesday and it had arrived in my bank account during last night. They say it can take up to 4 weeks so I'm gobsmacked that it took barely 7 days.

I hope you've had a nice lunch and are making plenty of time to rest and catch your breath after your manic Monday. Chilling out with the cats seems like the perfect stress-buster
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; Yesterday at 4:29 PM.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9111. Under £10K at long last.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Sep 18, 4:27 PM
    • 56,771 Posts
    • 230,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great result carbootcraxy

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Sep 18, 4:29 PM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,494 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks beanie, it was absolutely lovely, gorgeous food but also energising to be in such great company Back now, of course, shattered again and I can just relax for the rest of the day
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th Sep 18, 4:33 PM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,494 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi CBC, thanks for that (we crossposted because I practically fell asleep over the keyboard ). Yes, yesterday was exactly like one of those awful dreams, you're right! And ineptness is most certainly a word, particularly as applied to Lloyds.
    Cats are still happy with me, so all's well that ends well
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Sep 18, 10:23 AM
    • 29,740 Posts
    • 171,494 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm hanging out in the bedroom, sitting on the floor with the laptop on my knee, because the cleaner is here It's been really hard not to clean everything before she got here though I have emptied all my stuff from the rooms where she works, and all my kitchen stuff is in the fridge. Funny old world.
    Retired August 2016
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 19th Sep 18, 11:02 AM
    • 16,645 Posts
    • 109,845 Thanks
    gallygirl
    We were told its their version of identity fraud precautions - we all had to be in the same room at the same time to go through the identity documents.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Hm, makes sense I suppose. I know someone who works in equity release and they have to get both parties to a mortgage on the phone, speaking at the same time . Apparently it's common for wives to impersonate hubby and vice versa .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,719Posts Today

8,662Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin