Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 30,247Posts
    • 175,693Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
Page 61
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope that you are on the mend soon.
    Take care.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 14,986 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh boo - how disappointing for you - feel better soon KC!
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 5th Aug 18, 11:35 AM
    • 5,446 Posts
    • 31,537 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Sorry to hear you won't be able to see the baby on Sunday. Get well soon

Sorry I haven't been around much recently, I've been feeling very 'under the weather' which is unusual for me. Not only that but huge anxiety about a medical issue has made me very short-tempered and frankly not very nice to OH. I feel very bad about that as I know some people put up with all manner of health issues a lot worse than mine and manage to keep smiling whatever life throws at them. My brother was one of them, in constant pain but never let it show. I feel thoroughly ashamed of myself for that. My problem isn't really pain-related so I've been brushing it under the carpet for too long. Something else I'm not proud of.

I've tried to self-medicate but without a definite medical diagnosis there's been little, although some, improvement. The trouble with researching medical issues online is that it's very easy to scare yourself to death. My anxiety levels have hit the roof this past few days.

Our big GP practice covers a huge rural area and has thousands of patients on its books but it's pretty much guaranteed that a GP can be seen the same day, although maybe not the one of choice and often pretty late at the end of the day. They have 2 surgeries, one being 7 miles further away than my nearest which is still 5 miles away, but I've shilly-shallied far too long with this and will be definitely on the phone appointment-booking line at 8 tomorrow as soon as it opens. Speed-dial is a wonderful thing, it invariably takes dozens of tries until about 8.20 before the line stops being engaged and a real person speaks. I book OH's appointments regularly so know the drill.

Sorry to moan. Just feeling very emotionally fragile at the moment, a lot of it brought on by myself
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 05-08-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £3437. Nearly out of the debt tunnel at long last.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 30,247 Posts
    • 175,693 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh sweetie! CBC, one thing you can do right now, even before you make the appointment tomorrow, is ring 111, the NHS service. Someone will walk you through a questionnaire (or you can fill out the same questionnaire online). I did both, and they advised me the same thing - contact a medical practitioner within two hours!!!

I'm sure thats because my symptoms could have been mistaken for something else (plus, they *might* be appendicitis, and if your appendix bursts, you're usually dead). Medical stuff can't be ignored forever without serious long term consequences - I'm so glad you've decided to get help. You can get it right now - in my case, the out of hours clinic rang back within the specified two hours, and I had an appointment at the clinic on 6.30 on a Saturday night. I picked up the antibiotics this morning, at the local Sainsbo. It can be done xxx

So sorry you've been under the weather, CBC - I know what you mean about people keeping smiling, but I'm not one of those myself - if I run out of what I *can* smile, I isolate myself, I don't reach out for help. I used to try for medical help, but it was always too nebulous for them to isolate, so I stopped trying. You might not get an answer this week, but I think you can get yourself on the way to one.

I understand your worry about OH, but please don't it's all part of the give and take.

Never mind, I don't want to go into that too much. Just focus on yourself and your own needs, check out 111, and keep going xxx
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry to hear that cbc
    Good advive from KC.
    Take care of you.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Aug 18, 10:38 AM
    • 30,247 Posts
    • 175,693 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning campers

Not quite sure what to do today, of course I have loads I *could* do, but I do feel somewhat under the weather with the infection and the antibacs. So I'm not going to put myself in the sunshine or make any troubling phone calls, ha, that'll come later in the week.

But I *do* have to focus on my cardio fitness when I get better: the practitioner I saw on Saturday night was concerned about my heartrate , it was 10% over the max. normal rate. Just joined the C25k programme, though I won't be doing it yet, and even when I do, I'm concerned about the interaction with ex-chronic fatigue Sometimes I wonder ...

Okay, unpack the dishwasher and scan some photos, I'm not just going to sit in the armchair all day again
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    Take care xx

***Keep plodding***
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 6th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 11,726 Thanks
    themadvix
    Hope you're feeling a bit better Karma! x
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jul 2018: £91,552
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 6th Aug 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,334 Posts
    • 14,986 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Feel better soon KC!
    2 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 30,247 Posts
    • 175,693 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks all! Some is just a bit of (whisper it) old age, but a lot is leftover sedentariness from the chronic fatigue. Even when I worked in my sedentary job, I walked everywhere. As I say, not doing anything in the heat and when I'm on the antibacs, but maybe Friday or so, I can have at it.

I *did* take a walk today, just a slow one and came across a neighbour leaving a small box of exotic squashes and courgettes at their front gate: round here, thats understood as "please take", so I took a very small squash, about the size of my hand, and I'll have a go with that tomorrow. My brother does a roast thing thats amazing

Otherwise, I did the photo scanning - another two sets. BUT I also have to start dealing with something happening to the password of my hotmail account It doesn't seem to have affected my account on my laptop, but my phone can't connect to it any more I'll investigate on the tech board.

Peachy I refuse to worry about it
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Aug 18, 11:45 AM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 11,726 Thanks
    themadvix
    In this heat it's very hard to find the energy to walk regardless of age! It's meant to be cooler tomorrow

The squash is great find (they've obviously done well in the heat, if they're ready already!) - you can't beat free produce
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 30,247 Posts
    • 175,693 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I look at my weather apps every few hours, pouncing on evidence that it'll be cooler soon

I've never grown squash didn't know that, so thank you madvix! Their gardens on that side of the road could have been purpose made for growing veg - gentle slope, west facing, a stream at the bottom with a protective hedge between them and it. And they're big detached houses round there so I bet they just imported loads of good soil.

I'm scanning again determined to finish this last box of snaps as soon as possible, and while it's still too hot to go out and do what I want to do out there, I might as well do this. In the famous phrase, Getting It Done
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 7th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 11,726 Thanks
    themadvix
    I've never grown it either, so I might be completely wrong , but squashes usually arrive in our veg box in the autumn - and pumpkins are just bigger squashes. It sounds like a lovely garden.... very envious!
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Aug 18, 10:53 AM
    • 30,247 Posts
    • 175,693 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Sigh .... not feeling great. Quite sick, if truth be known at first I was thinking I need to go back to bed, now I'm thinking it might help to do what I had planned, to go into the town centre and cash some cheques. So I'll get myself ready, hopefully go, and then see what I feel like.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you feel better soon.
    Take care xx

***Keep plodding***
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 2,060 Posts
    • 11,726 Thanks
    themadvix
    What Beanie said Hope the walk does you good. x
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £3085
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 30,247 Posts
    • 175,693 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks both - I *did* go into the town centre, and it was the right thing to do. Still don't feel great, but much better than I was, and at least the cheques aren't hanging around any more, they're on their way to where they should be.

Dishwasher's on, had something to eat, sun's out and at a reasonable temperature.

That's better!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 4:24 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    That's good

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Aug 18, 8:50 PM
    • 30,247 Posts
    • 175,693 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yep, couple of bits of gardening, tiny bit of tidying. There was a new thing for me yesterday, which was accidentally moneysaving ... when I got in from the garden at about 4.30, I felt so hot, and so sticky, I had to wash my hair *right* then. I didn't even want to wait 15 minutes for the water heater, so I washed it under the cold tap.

But it was fine after the first five seconds truly!

Today, I also managed to print out a few internet thingies that I had to send off. It's only Wednesday today ... hmm, I might actually feel up to contacting Virgin Money tomorrow to get them to send me the matured Regular Saver money. And then I can change bank accounts and get some dosh for doing it
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 9:03 PM
    • 58,966 Posts
    • 244,945 Thanks
    beanielou
    I wash my hair in the summer in cold water if I am not having a shower.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,850Posts Today

6,925Users online

Martin's Twitter