Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,449Posts
    • 169,022Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 56
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jul 18, 9:39 AM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning! Lot of admin yesterday, and more to do today:
    - distributing photos online
    - washing done.
    - French maintenance bill paid.
    - my contribution for house maintenance up on Merseyside paid.
    - general finances in England and France checked (not net worth, yet!).
    - popped to Waitrose - 3 bananas for 13p! I'm definitely going shopping there near Sunday closing time again
    - unpacked and case is put away.
    - paid my ISP for the blog, that was due last month
    - emailed freeholder for my mum's house about purchasing the freehold (archaic, not modern viciousness, its £8 per year, but to sell the place, it will be simpler to have a house as freehold!).

To do today:
    - lot of juggling about dates in the next few weeks, more DIY on Merseyside/ garden trip with local horticultural society/ meeting up with my ex-colleague/ U3A lecture on one of my favourite topics/ games afternoon date.
    - Council's healthy walk (in about 20 minutes )
    - open the post
    - buy a bleeping dishwasher!
    - plant some herbs, let the poor things grow some roots.

Oh, RT asked about scanning - I have an old biscui tin of photos still to do - I've done three similar ones. Hoping to finish in the next fortnight, before the next trip to Merseyside.

On admin days, I'm trying to do things as quickly as possible, so it all takes as little *time* as possible, and I have more time for fun

Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,687 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your walk.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    To do today:
    - lot of juggling about dates in the next few weeks, more DIY on Merseyside/ garden trip with local horticultural society/ meeting up with my ex-colleague/ U3A lecture on one of my favourite topics/ games afternoon date.
    DIY on Merseyside, garden trip with local hort. society and U3A lecture (can't do it) are all sorted Leaving the others for today, I'm organised-out.

- Council's healthy walk (in about 20 minutes )
    Yes! Practised remembering names too

None of those below, the items above took *forever*. Just off to post the garden trip thing, and going to have a late lunch, been on the go for 6 hours straight, I'm supposed to be retired! And I want to do the planting this evening.

- open the post
    - buy a bleeping dishwasher!
    - plant some herbs, let the poor things grow some roots.
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 8,213 Posts
    • 40,804 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    That's a good, cheery list!

Good luck with getting hold of the freeholder -for the house we just sold we had a 50p a year ground rent which hadn't been collected for about 16 years (a nice old man apparently used to come round and knock on the door for it). We tried to find the freeholder a few years ago when we added me to the deeds, but our letters met with no response. Sounds like you already know who yours is so you're already ahead!

When we sold the house, it took our solicitor about 5 minutes to figure out who the freeholder was, and not much longer to figure out that someone else had been paying our ground rent for years There were about 8 houses bundled in on the same lease, and as the whole lot was only about £5 a year presumably someone just thought they might as well pay all of it

Leasehold houses are pretty common where we sold so we didn't even bother attempting to buy it. I think for us it would have been worth it if it was less than 80 years (a friend had to do that a few years ago) but ours had 698 years left to run (at a fixed 50p a year - no allowance for inflation) so we didn't bother

It was quite restrictive - we weren't allowed to run a tannery on the premises or have a steam hammer in the garden
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jul 18, 5:43 PM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    A steam hammer Cheery, thats wonderful! It sounds like the original premises were very old, maybe back to the beginning of industrialisation? In our case, I think its because the local lord didn't want to actually sell his land, so leasehold was the best option. Actually, I've no idea how long the lease has to run but I've seen letters from 1991 offering to sell the leasehold for £80 plus £50 nominal costs, so we should be fine. Leasehold for houses was very common because of the lord doing his thing, but more and more people have been buying the freehold, and we don't want to get caught up in fears of the recent ground rent scandal, so we reckon £130 is a good investment in that.

The dishwasher, sigh ... the height of the counter is too small to take a dishwasher, by the matter of an inch or so. Solved it last time by the fitter taking the top off the thing - I really don't want to do that again. Do I have a tabletop one, for a while at least? Since I'm staying here, I think I want the kitchen refitted - maybe a tabletop is good enough till then? Suggestions on a postcard please ...
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jul 18, 8:14 PM
    • 8,213 Posts
    • 40,804 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    £130 does indeed seem a bery reasonable amount to pay - in your circumstances I would likely do the same! Gives everything a certain satiafying 'completeness' too

No idea about dishwashers. Periodically I remember that there is a tiny one fitted under our sink but we've lived here 4 months and never actually USED it so I can't really comment
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 8,213 Posts
    • 40,804 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    In fact I've just looked at our dishwasher as it's SO small - I even wonder whether it might actually be an on the counter one? Can't find a tape measure but it's one of these

http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/haier/wqp41a.html?p=1

Can't imagine it not fitting under anything!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks for that Yep, thats what the websites are calling a compact, like this one: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/dishwashing/dishwashers/essentials-cdwtt15-compact-dishwasher-white-10100834-pdt.html

It takes up counter space, is how I've always thought ... but I could have another cupboard where the d/w currently is. Hmmm. I think I'm going to speak to someone in a kitchen department somewhere, that seems the thing to do. How complicated! I'll get there, though
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jul 18, 11:44 PM
    • 8,213 Posts
    • 40,804 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    You will indeed get there ours is under the draining board on a kind of wooden platform with a drawer on top so yes it might be possible to have it in or instead of a cupboard... decisions decisions...
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Jul 18, 6:41 AM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 7,469 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    We bought our leasehold a few years ago now.
    Ground rent was fixed at £4 a year. We hadn't paid for about 4 years. (Had to physically go to an awkward to get to estate agents to do it. leasehold got sold on to some big company who offered to sell it to us for £117, I sent a cheque for that amount, they sent us the deeds.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 18, 9:28 AM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks both! Wish, thats good news in the end for you - as well as helping us to sell more smoothly, its also less faff if *you're* the occupier

I've just been opening the post and there'll be a bit more organisation of days out, some weeding, some scanning - I'm out all day tomorrow, so mustn't do too much Oh, I want to talk to a kitchen adviser about the s*dding dishwasher
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 14,243 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh KC - so sorry to hear that the dishwasher is causing woes! A compact one may indeed be the way to go.

Try this link for good info on compact ones...

Our's is up and running again with the new hose intact, but I did find some more water damage - to our new(ish) fake welsh dresser - mdf furniture might be cheaper than real wood but it soaks up water like a sponge! Not worth claiming from insurance, and also not worth buying a new one so we will live with it for now. Also still running & emptying the dehumidifier 3 times a day - over a week later!!! Better to dry out the kitchen now, than discover mold later in the year!
    1 YEAR & 8 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 18, 11:07 AM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks RT I don't really *want* a compact one, but the counter is an inch too low to take a normal one - thats why I need to speak to a professional somebody or other That review site is interesting, I'll check on there before I speak to anyone. Sorry to hear your woes with your own are continuing it's tricky, isn't it.

I've just spent ages trying to figure out the fares to London tomorrow to go see the Rodin exhibition (free, as my sister was gifted a membership-with-guest of the British Museum ). They make it tough these days, to figure out the difference between the return being super offpeak, or just boring offpeak. I've done it now, but really, it shouldn't be that difficult!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,687 Thanks
    beanielou
    It should not

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    We just sold my mum's stairlift. Absolute peanuts, but its out of the house, frees up space and makes it more saleable.

And Pavers have agreed to the full refund
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Jul 18, 3:25 PM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 14,243 Thanks
    rtandon27

Peanuts is better than naught!

If I remember correctly we had to pay someone to take to take the one out of OH's parents house!

Hooray to full refund from P@vers!
    1 YEAR & 8 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jul 18, 3:38 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,687 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on both fronts

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Jul 18, 4:10 PM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Definitely we'd have given it to the buyers, if it avoided "selling" it back to the manufacturer, who lied constantly. In contrast, Pavers go to the top of my "trustworthy companies" list

MFW work: just been digging up perennial weeds, loooooong grass, and two year old garlic thats where I'm putting my 3 chive plants, rooted from a single supermarket pot
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 10th Jul 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 23,178 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Great news on the refunds/ sales.
    I have just decluttered masses and made peanuts - but so glad it's out of the house!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 1.2 /2k 5k Travel budget 0/5k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 29,449 Posts
    • 169,022 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks earthgirl! I have a stack of books that will be no good in the local charity shop, I'm wondering about selling those on Amazon, or just on webuybooks. A decision for next week, I think.

Another mfw achievement last night, thanks to greent: I joined ICE for my mastercard, in the last few hours of the offer, so I'll get the tenner that Martin blagged for mse members, plus ongoing points. Hurray!

Talking of refunds, also had the refunds from the cruise: because of the changes in the itinerary due to the storm, we had four cancellations of day trips, plus I cancelled another one from sheer tiredness. We rebooked the four, though (on my sister's card) so there's lots of money-swaps to be done with my sister once she gets invoiced for the ones we ended up taking. I was impressed that the company never even charged a nominal £5 for cancellation and rebooking.

In the post yesterday, a few finance things: a couple will help me update my net worth, and there's only two French mortgage payments left, plus a third payment thats about a quarter of the normal, to pay off the remaining capital. Since the rental payments *to* me will continue, I need to find some kind of investment account in France thats going to help, mortgage interest won't be claimable any more!

Off to play in London today, going to the Rodin exhibition, I lurve Rodin. I hope everyone has a good day.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,134Posts Today

7,616Users online

Martin's Twitter