Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,750Posts
    • 171,550Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 46
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 29,750 Posts
    • 171,550 Thanks
    Karmacat
    How ironic that it was updating your details that got you to payout I love that!

Just had quite a big deal myself: for the first time in 4 - 5 years, I did some garden work in the morning : emptying the ashes, filling the incinerator ready again, and finishing disposing of the rubbish sitting on the grass. I'll go out again in an hour or so.
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 14,522 Thanks
    rtandon27

Thank-you for mentioning that survey ladies! I've finally reached payout & am stupidly happy!

I think now I will give YG a break from my enlightened opinions as they should be worth more than the paltry amount earned after all those years!

the bay of 'e' & magical magpie might be the next steps to reclaiming some cash...shall have a ponder...

For the YG history (on a pc)...
    *click on my account in the leftmost column, third tab down
    *scroll to the bottom of the page where it says my history
    *keep clicking on show my activity until it won't load anymore, this should show all your activity, including payouts, in reverse chronological order
    1 YEAR & 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 17th May 18, 1:39 PM
    • 29,750 Posts
    • 171,550 Thanks
    Karmacat
    RT, you too Congratulations!

This is not a cake, this is a tropical fruit salad.

I'll check out that tab, but does that include the surveys too? I might lose the will to live, but I'll give it a go (after my afternoon gardening session, I've been watching Tudor/Victorian Country Farm I can press a button while I watch that
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,397 Thanks
    beanielou
    RT
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th May 18, 9:02 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,397 Thanks
    beanielou
    Karmcat~~well done you

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 18th May 18, 7:06 AM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 23,806 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Well done reaching payout, I am miles away. Hear a lot about SB but I found that to be draining and not so worthwhile - is it better now?

Go Karma, gardening in the morning!

I have taken a leaf out of your book and do 15 mins a day (i know you do more but it sounded ok to my brain!).
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel savings £3203/5k
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 41,379 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I did a few weeks of SB and got to £5 paid out a few times I found I got a bit carried away when I should have been doing other things so I stopped it It's nice having £5 payouts though, they rack up quite quickly

Well done RT!

Ooh KC I LOVE the Victorian farm series (and Edwardian, and war time, and tudor monastery) I pretty much just want to BE Ruth Goodman I saw her do a talk once and she had on the most excellent shoes
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 18th May 18, 12:32 PM
    • 29,750 Posts
    • 171,550 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Karmcat~~well done you
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanie I was exhausted by the evening, but of course I was navvying for two hours, so not surprising!

Well done reaching payout, I am miles away. Hear a lot about SB but I found that to be draining and not so worthwhile - is it better now?
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    I did it once and abandoned it too, earthgirl. This time, I started it while I still wasn't well physically, so I had to sit around anyway. I centre on the "to do" list, and take tips from the thread on here. I'm quite manipulative about it, and the points are what matter, nothing else

Go Karma, gardening in the morning!

I have taken a leaf out of your book and do 15 mins a day (i know you do more but it sounded ok to my brain!).
    Thanks! I do more *now*, yes, but when I was working, it was indeed 15 minutes

I did a few weeks of SB and got to £5 paid out a few times I found I got a bit carried away when I should have been doing other things so I stopped it It's nice having £5 payouts though, they rack up quite quickly
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Now I'm used to it, I get £20 a month or so, in wodges of £10, as thats least work for most voucher. It's probably not a good use of time for you, Cheery, being fitter/in employment etc

Ooh KC I LOVE the Victorian farm series (and Edwardian, and war time, and tudor monastery farm I pretty much just want to BE Ruth Goodman I saw her do a talk once and she had on the most excellent shoes
    Isn't she great

I really wish I'd gone with my gut in my late 30s, and bought a place with land, and not gone the therapeutic route. Maybe not as much as you, but of that order, since I'd have done it on my own. I love the low-impact route of doing things: I was at Quebec House recently, where General Wolf (Canadian Wars) was brought up, and the kitchen fascinated me, they used a feather as a pastry brush, and a scallop shell as a nutmeg grater. You just can't beat that
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th May 18, 1:53 PM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 41,379 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, I'd not heard of Quebec House. I love seeing an insight into how people did everyday things in the past though

It's so hard to know whether to follow your gut in that situation though isn't it? We wibbled back and forth for quite a while and when we moved still weren't *quite* convinced it was the right decision... When you don't really know what to expect it's really hard to know whether you're doing the right thing. And you never quite know how it's going to turn out whatever you do.

We spend a LOT of time wheelbarrowing, scything, shifting stones etc, and we'd be completely stuck without a car - so we're just having to shut our eyes and hope neither of us becomes incapacitated any time soon Also the bulk of the mortgage comes from my salary - what if I get laid off? We'd just about manage it on two full time minimum wages - but then what happens to all the wall building, grass cutting, etc? Quite a leap of faith...

Of course, there have been good things we'd not imagined too. Nothing has to happen *right now*, our neighbours are lovely and really helpful when faced with a couple of townie novices

I may have said this already, but I once read a lovely post on here, a long time ago, and I was glad I hand wrote it out because I've never been able to find it again (and now can't find the hand written version ) It was a woman who said she'd always wanted to move to the countryside, but had never been able to for various reasons. On her birthday one year she sat and wrote down what her ideal country life would look like - making jam, going for walks, identifying wild flowers, joining in with little local events, knowing her neighbours, eating breakfast in the garden etc - and then made it her resolution to spend the year doing those things where she lived now.

I thought that was so lovely, and that's what I did when I lived in the city Had a go at making cheese, jam, soap, knitting dishcloths, growing herbs and a teensy bit of veg, joining in with the community garden, reading books about countryside living etc.

All that stuff is coming in quite useful now

(Sorry, hijacking ) But yes, Ruth Goodman is cool
    Mortgage over payments since Feb 2018 = £558.25
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th May 18, 9:18 AM
    • 29,750 Posts
    • 171,550 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I may have said this already, but I once read a lovely post on here, a long time ago, and I was glad I hand wrote it out because I've never been able to find it again (and now can't find the hand written version ) It was a woman who said she'd always wanted to move to the countryside, but had never been able to for various reasons. On her birthday one year she sat and wrote down what her ideal country life would look like - making jam, going for walks, identifying wild flowers, joining in with little local events, knowing her neighbours, eating breakfast in the garden etc - and then made it her resolution to spend the year doing those things where she lived now.
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Oh Cheery, that sort of brought a tear to my eye

I've quoted it on its own, because you're right, it's utterly beautiful.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 29,750 Posts
    • 171,550 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I'm also really interested to read the rest of your post - the decision making, the concerns, yes, they're very real, aren't they. Lovely to hear the sense of community is still alive and well, and welcoming. Now that I'm getting better, I'm building the bones of a little "homestead" here, I hope, as well as living the life of a still-fairly-young retiree
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 19th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 23,806 Thanks
    earthgirl
    What a lovely idea!
    I have a poster that I show to the kids

When things change, I will be happy X(cross)
    When I am happy, things will change (tick)

To try and get myself to be happy and grateful NOW (one of my weaknesses).

I've already told everyone here that we are re creating a holiday on our staycation this year!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel savings £3203/5k
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 19th May 18, 3:16 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 28,174 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I really loved your post, Cheery Daff. Struck many chords with me

As a rural dweller for the past 40 years I have to say there are plenty of downsides to it. One of the main ones is, as you said, the need for a car and the worry that one or other of us might become incapacitated. Having to drive 7 miles to the nearest small shop in winter on narrow, twisty country lanes too narrow for 2 cars to pass without one pulling right over to the edge of a deep ditch can make the winter months a nightmare. It's extremely isolating as there is no community spirit here, no 'community as such, just isolated houses and farms dotted about. OH is 5 years older than me (and I'm an OAP myself) and whilst still active and very fit for his age he finds physical work in the huge garden takes it out of him nowadays. Paying for help is so expensive, that's if we could find anyone reliable to do the heavy work like pruning tall trees and trimming 8 foot high hedges. In fact all the exterior maintenance of house and garden is a real Forth Bridge painting challenge.

I love your idea of following the traditional country activities but from a safe distance so to speak. The person who came up with that was a wise woman. As are you too, Cheery, being able to do it whilst you lived in a city

Sorry about having a moan, I really came on here to announce a success. I went to a house sale this morning, well, not the house itself but the contents of it. They had a small attached business which is closing on retirement and I treated myself to the office's heavy duty paper shredder. It was only £20 and looks as good as new. I know the cheapest of this model is for sale online for £114. Can't wait to use it, I've so much paperwork to dispose of and my old shredder burnt out from over use. I'd had it about 15 years and it was the cheapest most basic model at the time so it did well really. This new one will shred anything, 14 paqes at a time and runs for ages before needing a cooling off period. OH has masses of paperwork, he has 2 filing cabinets full of totally unnecessary rubbish, and if I offer to shred it for him with my new toy he might just decide to have a purge
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 19-05-2018 at 3:25 PM.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9111. Under £10K at long last.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,397 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the shredder carbootcrazy

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 29,750 Posts
    • 171,550 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi earthie honestly, the gratitudes exercise, like madvix does on her thread, is the most positive way forward I've found. I don't put it on here simply because I do it last thing at night in bed ... I actually find I look forward to it. It's just a gentle reminder, and that gentleness is really important to me.

Oh, the other thing I think of to gee me up, and always have (i.e. its not about age) is how once the time has gone, its gone. Today, for instance, is the only Saturday 19th May 2018, the only one that will ever be, in the whole of this universe, everywhere. Is that 50th game of free cell worthy of it?

I know, its really bad

CBC, really, it sounds rough for you, I hope there are positives for you there. I like the sound of a heavy duty scanner, I know what you mean about excess waste paperwork. And also about a cooling off period for tiny little shredder motors Mine's like that, and I often time it by ad breaks

Today, I watched a certain ceremonial occasion on TV with accompanying texting, which was and then went for a walk, tiptoeing past my commuter neighbour because he doesn't stop talking still there when I got back, so that was no good, and he also wanted to prune a little hazel that drifted into my front garden, it obstructs his point of view. I did it myself more or less at the time, as he's a bit too handy with the pruning shears.

Scanning and Swagbucks, otherwise, with help from the thread on here.

beanie hope you're good, I'm off to check now.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,397 Thanks
    beanielou
    I am good thanks

***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 20th May 18, 2:14 PM
    • 4,953 Posts
    • 28,174 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I hope everyone is enjoying the weather. It's too hot for me, I can't stand too much sun even with sunscreen and plenty of shade. Did a car boot sale this morning and was really pleased that it was quite cool and misty first thing but the sun came out with a vengeance and by 11 it was baking hot. Glad to be home. Made £93.15 and got rid of some clutter which buyers seemed to think was exactly what they'd been looking for. There's now't so queer as folk is there

Going to have a shower and a few cups of tea. No shredding going to get done today, I'm worn out.
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9111. Under £10K at long last.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,397 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great amount for the car boot carbootcrazy.

***Keep plodding***
    • julicorn
    • By julicorn 20th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 1,160 Thanks
    julicorn
    £93 is incredible! One man's trash is another man's treasure and all that. Always good to see old things go to a loving new home though, isn't it?
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 20th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 29,750 Posts
    • 171,550 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It's a wonderful total, CBC - I know it's the estate you're slowly selling off, and I'm glad you're getting *something* from some of it.

**waves at juliecorn too**

Apart from the usual SB kerfuffle and navvying in the garden, I can't think of *anything* mse that I've done today though at least I've been doing other stuff like scanning and tidying and getting my suitcase ready. And hiding from the heat after a bit, like CBC - it's been amazing out there!
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

97Posts Today

2,374Users online

Martin's Twitter