Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,451Posts
    • 169,037Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 43
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 7th May 18, 1:15 PM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 27,441 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I love the sound of your Monsoon tunic, KC. I hope you can remedy the problem of the tiny hole. I think if it were me I'd just ignore it, unless you feel it might get worse when wearing it. I absolutely love Monsoon clothes and spent a lot of money on them back in the bad old days when I used my plastic as if there was no tomorrow. I'm still wearing some of them though so they were a good investment

Did another car boot sale this morning but didn't do very well at all. I think we were competing with lots of more attractive events and venues. At least I cleared more clutter and was home reasonably early. It was really hot out there but I didn't come home with a headache this time

Ziffit and WeBuyBooks have a bonus extra 10% offer this weekend so I'm going to try to see if they'll accept any of my books this time. Need to do it today but certainly don't feel like it

Newsflash: The house martins are back. I saw a lot of them on Friday but they seemed to do a lot of swooping over the garden and then disappeared. A lot of them are back in force today trying to renovate some of last year's nests that miraculously survived the winter storms. No idea where they are finding any mud though. Everything is bone dry round here.
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 07-05-2018 at 1:21 PM.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-June: £2333.00+.

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9141
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th May 18, 8:29 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry that the car boot wasent as good carbootcrazy.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 29,451 Posts
    • 169,037 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I love the sound of your Monsoon tunic, KC. I hope you can remedy the problem of the tiny hole. I think if it were me I'd just ignore it, unless you feel it might get worse when wearing it. I absolutely love Monsoon clothes and spent a lot of money on them back in the bad old days when I used my plastic as if there was no tomorrow. I'm still wearing some of them though so they were a good investment
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Thanks CBC When I jacked in my office career to start training as a psychotherapist, I gave myself a few months lounging about - for part of that time, I worked in the London Monsoon warehouse, with my partner. We got quite a few things cut-rate.

Did another car boot sale this morning but didn't do very well at all. I think we were competing with lots of more attractive events and venues. At least I cleared more clutter and was home reasonably early. It was really hot out there but I didn't come home with a headache this time
    It sounds like it wasn't too great financially, but everything else was really good it must be frustrating, but I'm glad that at least you had some time free.

I'm already quite bored of not feeling terribly well, but several coughing fits have persuaded me not to do too much I did half an hour in the garden, and a very little walk - there's a stream bed at the lower end of the local cemetery, I counted a dozen squirrels in one go, including an albino one I've seen for two years now

Ziffit and WeBuyBooks have a bonus extra 10% offer this weekend so I'm going to try to see if they'll accept any of my books this time. Need to do it today but certainly don't feel like it[/quote]
    I keep meaning to check them again its all work, though, isn't it, and people are having a bank holiday, after all!

Newsflash
    : The house martins are back. I saw a lot of them on Friday but they seemed to do a lot of swooping over the garden and then disappeared. A lot of them are back in force today trying to renovate some of last year's nests that miraculously survived the winter storms. No idea where they are finding any mud though. Everything is bone dry round here.
    How lovely! I remember seeing house martin nests in the Loire Valley, but not here.

I tidied up the grass and roots I cut/dug in the garden yesterday, now they've dried out they'll be less weight in the bin. That little section is looking a bit better. Didn't bother doing much of that sort of thing, though, I need lots of rest, quite frankly!
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 8th May 18, 12:52 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 10,294 Thanks
    themadvix
    Glad you had a lovely time away KC and I hope you're taking care of yourself, even if you're bored of being ill

CBC - I've got to echo Beanie - £189 is a fab amount to make! Clearly you know your stuff! Sorry the second one wasn't as good though.
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £1345.52
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jun 2018: £92,000
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 27,441 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    CBC - I've got to echo Beanie - £189 is a fab amount to make! Clearly you know your stuff! Sorry the second one wasn't as good though.
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Thank you. I'm not sure it's down to my being knowledgeable though. I fill the car to danger levels, I can barely see through my rear-view mirror, and just hope that the sheer amount of stuff on sale will attract people. It's a case of quantity over quality, I'm afraid. I have such a lot of clutter to clear, a lot of it inherited things that no one else in the family wanted and which have no sentimental value for any of us. My parents were hoarders, although my Mum was so uber-houseproud you'd never have known it. Their having a big house with masses of storage space certainly gave the illusion of tidiness. It was only on clearing out the family home prior to its sale that we unearthed a mind-blowing amount of stuff

It always amazes me what people will actually buy. I often come home with what I thought would be good sellers but manage to offload all manner of junk

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th May 18, 2:29 PM
    • 29,451 Posts
    • 169,037 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Whaaaat!!! I didn't see the £189 figure, I'm sorry CBC, I don't skim, but that passed me by - thats an utterly fantastic figure

Ah, then I read where the stuff comes from - I feel for you with the inherited stuff, I really do. When my dad died some years ago, it was very simple, because everything stayed where it was, my mum was still going and very active. When *she* died, suddenly we had everything to get rid of. A huge amount to charity shops, some just for ragging, there were enough finished patchworked quilts for us each to have a couple, plus one each for the five grandchildren. And then the stuff ... stuff! We're selling a few things individually - a painting that's said to be valuable, a first edition of a 1920s children's book, a 1930s coronation mug (if anyone wants it) and a load of silver as a job lot. But everything takes forever - I can understand now why you're still selling at boot sales, since that's where it comes from. And like you, I've been really slow to say, no, I don't need any more of that, that's enough. My brother and sister both came to that before I did

Okay, mse stuff:
    - checking out Pavers shoe shops, my sister's taking me to our local one soon, they have a sale on, and I need some nice shoes for evening do's. For the cruise, and in general for the future.
    - reached megabucks with SB, 10% of an Amazon £10 voucher, v pleased.
    - washing machine ran through twice, the last of the stuff from the holibob (I cleaned everything I took - the caravan seemed nice and clean, but better safe than sorry).
    - started to clear the post and assorted gubbins from the porch, as I have an Asda delivery tomorrow.
    - there's a "things shuffle" I can do that will really help on several levels:
    1. packing away my case under the stairs.
    2. roll of privacy/security film (needed it, before I had curtains, to stop people seeing the bottom of my staircase from the road each morning) - I can use it on a window in my living room (would stop nosy parkers seeing all the way into my bathroom!).
    3. sturdy cardboard roll would then be free to hold the prints I was given recently by the husband of my deceased friend - at least till I decide where I want to put them, that can't be a priority right now. They can be stored to the side of the immersion heater, safely out of the way.
    4. bed in the spare room becomes more accessible

Win/win/win/win ...
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 8th May 18, 5:01 PM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 27,441 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I feel for you with your efforts to dispose of your Mother's things, KC. I realise your loss was much more recent than mine so I apologise if my mentioning the subject of clearing out the family home was insensitive. Or badly timed

My brother and I sent to auction any valuable items that were not wanted by any family members, such as big and heavy pieces of furniture. A lot of items were distributed amongst family and friends and charity shops benefited from masses of donations. I mentioned to my brother that I could try to sell the 'dross' (sounds awful to describe my parents' belongings that way) but it was just accumulated items that I never saw on display or their ever using. I doubt they even recalled that they had it stashed away, and they were both very mentally agile to the end. I told my brother that I'd try car boot sales and split the proceeds with him but he said if I was willing to take the time and effort to do it I was welcome to the money. He suggested taking most of it to the tip. My MSE head couldn't accept that

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th May 18, 9:16 PM
    • 29,451 Posts
    • 169,037 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Mentioning isn't a problem at all, CBC, don't worry about it for a single moment! I mention it myself as I need to, in terms of stuff I have to do, whether paperwork or financials ... and "dross" is a fit word for some of the stuff. A present to her from her sister, in the 1950s ... a tourist version of a German stein. Oh dear god! A dozen hairbrushes. A score of packs of nail files. Approximately a million glasses. I'd even use 'dross' to describe some of the food stashed away in weird places those packs of jelly you can dilute and make a pint of jelly or whatever unsalted crisps, thats another invention of the devil

Anyway, I solved my little "things shuffle" from my earlier post. Suitcase is packed away in its usual place. Roll of security film is stashed in the airing cupboard. Sturdy cardboard roll it was in is now in the recycling. My friend's art prints are cut down a bit (from A3 size, they were unmanageable, and would never be framed at that size) and I've safeguarded them by storing them on top of the wardrobe, protected by a huge cutting board used for patchwork. Guest bed is that much clearer. As I said, win/ win/ win/ win
    Retired August 2016
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 9th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 10,294 Thanks
    themadvix
    Well done on the win/win/win/win KC!

CBC - it must be hard (physically and emotionally!), but I'm sure your parents would be glad that their 'dross' is helping you to clear your debt. It is odd what people will buy and what you bring back though - Mum and I had a good giggle at the non-sellers last time - they drew people in and then didn't sell (until right at the end, when we did at last get rid!).
    OPs 2018 = £2090
    Moving savings = £1345.52
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Jun 2018: £92,000
    MFW2018 no. 38
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 29,451 Posts
    • 169,037 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks madvix! And a very good point that CBC's parents would very probably like for their things to be helping CBC so practically right now.

Ancestry have seduced me with free access to the 1939 register of course, I know perfectly well where my immediate family was, but there's some interesting loose ends, mostly involving people who travelled, or got detached from the family in some way.

Apart from take delivery of my Asda shop and faff on SB, I've done very little else and I really need to, but the genealogy is what I chose, so I can't complain though I can stamp my foot all I like
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 3:53 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    I thought the fruit in my asda order was really poor.
    Had to ditch the grapes

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 9th May 18, 4:24 PM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 27,441 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Had to ditch the grapes
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Sorry to hear that. I love the convenience and time-saving of home delivery but nothing beats being able to rummage through all the packs of fresh produce to find the best one IMO.

My initial euphoria about Morrison's newly-introduced (to our backwater anyway) home delivery service was short lived. The first order was perfect in every way, I was the delivery driver's very first delivery in his spanking new van. I've had 2 other orders since then as delivery is free for an introductory period and both were very disappointing. Both times they omitted the 'protein' items altogether, such as the chicken, smoked haddock and gammon steaks. They were listed on my receipt as 'missing' (not available) although the website hadn't faded the items out as it does with unavailable items and my confirmation email made as if they would be sent.

No substitutes sent either so I still had to get the car out and drive the 14 mile round trip to my local small Morrison's where they DID have these items in stock. Crazy. I was prepared to overlook it once but two successive orders was a bit much especially as there was over a week between placing them so any stock problems should have been rectified.

I'm going back to Sainsbury's again for home delivery. I prefer Morrison's own brand items and all their fresh meat is British but at least Sainsbury's delivers 99% of what I order and if anything isn't available they always send a perfectly acceptable substitute. I've got an order coming tomorrow so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed
    Last edited by carbootcrazy; 09-05-2018 at 4:28 PM.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th May 18, 6:33 PM
    • 29,451 Posts
    • 169,037 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Had to ditch the grapes
    Totally agree, beanie - I never have fresh food delivered, if I can cope with preparing fresh, I buy it myself instore.

I'm going back to Sainsbury's again for home delivery. I prefer Morrison's own brand items and all their fresh meat is British but at least Sainsbury's delivers 99% of what I order and if anything isn't available they always send a perfectly acceptable substitute. I've got an order coming tomorrow so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed
    Sorry to hear this! Missing out so much of the delivery is horrendous - really interrupts everything. Asda are fairly okay, though today they haven't sent my organic eggs, but I still have a few.

I've been digging up the very widespread grass and other weeds in the southernmost border. Much more sun there than I realised, now the hedges are cut back (needs doing again in autumn at the latest!). I've let a rockery plant self seed there, but it's let so much grass grow, it'll have to go. My new chive plants can go there soon
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 6:36 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    carbootcrazy~~Did you speak to Morrisons CS?

***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 9th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 27,441 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    carbootcrazy~~Did you speak to Morrisons CS?
    No. I didn't, beanielou. I probably should have done but they sent quite long and involved satisfaction questionnaires by email and I filled them in and submitted them both times. There was a section at the end to write about what could have been better so I let them have it, no holds barred.

I thought someone might have responded but no one has so far. Maybe no one bothers to read these things. I like Morrison's though and have been a satisfied customer in their shops for donkey's years. I feel bad about being so fickle and deserting them for Sainsbury's. I'll put this current dissatisfaction down to teething troubles with their new-to-us delivery service and maybe give it another go in a couple of months time.

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    cbc~~I really think that you should speak to CS.
    Like I should do with ASda

***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 8:25 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    For me TBH I really should as this has put me off home shopping again
    For you it is putting you off Morrirons meantime.

***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th May 18, 5:51 AM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 27,441 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    cbc~~I really think that you should speak to CS.
    Like I should do with ASda
    I will if you will, beanie

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    I will if you will, beanie
    I think I have left it too long now sadly

***Keep plodding***
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 4,824 Posts
    • 27,441 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I think I have left it too long now sadly
    That's a shame. I'm bottling out although I could ring ostensibly about the uncredited 500 bonus More points for having a home delivery and then add a 'by the way.....'. I hate complaining face to face or on the phone. I'm as brave as a lion doing it online though

My Sainsbury order has arrived and everything was present. What I do notice is that the Use By and Best Before dates of fresh produce from Sainsbury's are a lot shorter than those from Morrisons

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

781Posts Today

6,552Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Baldsaint: @MartinSLewis We were on a cruise to the West Indies and America (sun, sun, sun and even more sun) when the beast from the e?

• RT @MikeHoxard: @MartinSLewis I always want some rain at home when I am away so may garden is okay when get back ... so is that gardenfraud?

• This is a technical article, but it's a good primer to help understand why a change to accounting practice being di? https://t.co/vKOa8Zm3OI

• Follow Martin