Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,608Posts
    • 170,455Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 36
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 11th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3,612 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Pops in to say Hi!

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £89, 489.14 (20.06.2018)
    OP's to Date £6000

Renovation Fund:£736.95;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £2.50 (after microwave purchase
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 4,874 Posts
    • 27,719 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I wish I could get a You Gov or two
    Have a good day.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I've had 2 YouGov surveys this week. Paid ones too, not the free draw ones. This is a big surprise as I'm approaching a payout after what seems like years. Still a way to go, about another 6 x 50 point surveys, but I can see the end now. I'd been very worried a few months ago that they'd blacklisted me or something because they never sent me any survey invitations for weeks on end, not even an Oracle one
    Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9129. Under £10K at long last.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    I've had 2 YouGov surveys this week. Paid ones too, not the free draw ones. This is a big surprise as I'm approaching a payout after what seems like years. Still a way to go, about another 6 x 50 point surveys, but I can see the end now. I'd been very worried a few months ago that they'd blacklisted me or something because they never sent me any survey invitations for weeks on end, not even an Oracle one
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    I am in a similar situation.
    Maybe 8 to payout.
    I only seem to get 1 - 2 a month these days.
    Lucky you with two this week
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hiya MCI! Good to see you!

My day has been the usual mix of taking care of myself, taking care of the garden (I needed to do normal weeding, not navvying! good heavens!), and taking care of my computerised records and general *stuff* in the house.

I uploaded a segment of genealogy records to my free Google Drive cloud storage - backing up offsite is A Good Thing, officially

Oh, a few more SB points turned up unexpectedly - I bought some camping gaz cartridges with the free £5 that paypal were offering everyone, so once again I'm within 100 points of an Amazon tenner
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Apr 18, 11:11 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning all!

Mega-SB-survey, nearly 10% of a £10 Amazon voucher, hurray, so I've got my voucher and well on the way to the next.

Jobs are going well - after second breakfast, I'm going to have a little bonfire, even though its grey, its warm enough. That helps with the garden, gets things tidier. And need to carry on digging out a *new* set of brambles today . They, and a dozen or so baby cherry laurels, were underneath the old bonfire pile. Just goes to show how important it is to carry on with a job once you've started it
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Bonfire worked well, though no additional digging done - it takes a *lot* of energy to keep a bonfire fed when its just bits and pieces of twigs and small branches. It's mostly died down now, and there's lots more ash than last time, which means I was energetic enough to do more bonfire-feeding I've already cut material for a couple more, and then I raid the stuff thats slowly decaying into the bottom of the broken wooden shed. Say another four, hopefully before I go away on the cruise ... gives me a blank slate to plant edible perennials, and later on it gives me some nice soil conditioning carbon to spread on the soil. I'm determined to catch up with garden maintenance this year.

But I do smell of smoke I like the smell, actually, but thats not really the point
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Apr 18, 10:33 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning!

Very tired after the bonfire work, but just been out there to inspect the ashes, and there's lots and lots to sprinkle on my little heap of goodness for the soil later this year.

I'm heading off to my first U3A group today, in spite of the tiredness, so nothing else doing. R&R v important
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 4,874 Posts
    • 27,719 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Morning!

Very tired after the bonfire work, but just been out there to inspect the ashes, and there's lots and lots to sprinkle on my little heap of goodness for the soil later this year.

I'm heading off to my first U3A group today, in spite of the tiredness, so nothing else doing. R&R v important
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Enjoy your group, KC

Well done on your bonfire efforts too.. OH has been working his way through a mountain of thin but long tree branches for the last 3 days, sawing them to fit on a fire that wouldn't extend across the whole garden. Between heavy rain and winds in the wrong direction he finally had it all finished by yesterday teatime. We give anything suitable to a fellow-villager for their wood-burner but they didn't want the stuff we had this time. They have only recently moved here and are still living the idyllic country life. Their purpose-built log store is an aesthetic dream, absolutely full of uniformly cut and stacked logs. I'm not envious but just curious how they can go to all the time and trouble just for appearance's sake. OH has offered to chop and split our big branches/trunks for them (he likes the exercise) but the recipient says he'd rather have them as the are so he can chop them himself. Everything we gave him before was of a suitable burnable size but after seeing their log store since then OH realises they weren't artistic enough
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 56,278 Posts
    • 227,711 Thanks
    beanielou
    No wonder you are tired.
    I slept for 4 hours this afternoon
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 13th Apr 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 10,609 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Great effort on the garden clearance . What was on at the U3A? Some of the things my friend's mum does are brilliant (she loves art).
    Hope you had a lovely day
    MFW 2018 #157 Target £15,000

£13,099.94/£15,000
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Apr 18, 10:29 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Enjoy your group, KC

Well done on your bonfire efforts too.. OH has been working his way through a mountain of thin but long tree branches for the last 3 days, sawing them to fit on a fire that wouldn't extend across the whole garden. Between heavy rain and winds in the wrong direction he finally had it all finished by yesterday teatime. We give anything suitable to a fellow-villager for their wood-burner but they didn't want the stuff we had this time. They have only recently moved here and are still living the idyllic country life. Their purpose-built log store is an aesthetic dream, absolutely full of uniformly cut and stacked logs. I'm not envious but just curious how they can go to all the time and trouble just for appearance's sake. OH has offered to chop and split our big branches/trunks for them (he likes the exercise) but the recipient says he'd rather have them as the are so he can chop them himself. Everything we gave him before was of a suitable burnable size but after seeing their log store since then OH realises they weren't artistic enough
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    Oh boy they sound a bit .... unrealistic I have very little experience of actual woodpiles for fires - when my sister had the French cottage, one of my first jobs was to walk up and down the grass, picking up wood that would clog the little sit-on mower - it created a lovely little pile of kindling, but no logs

I have a gut understanding now of indoor air pollution - I had a shower last night, of course, but the smell is in my hair, and woodsmoke is actually full of carcinogens .... very powerful.

No wonder you are tired.
    I slept for 4 hours this afternoon
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Thanks beanie! Having now done two things in two days, I'll be interested to see how my body reacts the next few days, it takes a while to crash badly, but I think I'm going to be okay.

Great effort on the garden clearance . What was on at the U3A? Some of the things my friend's mum does are brilliant (she loves art).
    Hope you had a lovely day
    Originally posted by pinkypig
    Thanks! It was a genealogy afternoon - take your own laptop in, do your own research. It was very focussed on Ancestry, and on Ancestry DNA, and I'm just not going to pay a subscription of nearly £100 a year, plus all the faffing about with certificates. Ancestry have enough free days to suit me, and if I want more, the library has a full membership. But I can usefully input some information to let it back up my info a little bit more. That always helps.

There's another couple of family history groups, so I'll try them too, and I have a "should" for French, but I *want* Spanish I'd like Ancient Civilisations, but the speaker on Monday was supposed to be great, and she was very poor (i'm an academic type, there's no two ways about it ). Science might be interesting. Local history too. There'll be something positive. I'm glad your mum has found the right thing for her
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 4,874 Posts
    • 27,719 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I have a gut understanding now of indoor air pollution - I had a shower last night, of course, but the smell is in my hair, and woodsmoke is actually full of carcinogens .... very powerful.

I know exactly what you mean, KC. Whilst OH was doing all his branch sawing and chopping he had an ongoing bonfire that he kept replenishing. This went on over about 3 days in all and each evening he left his outdoor clothes hanging up in the little doorless cloakroom (not the toilet type) we have near the back door. He had a shower each time but the smoky clothes stank the whole downstairs out. He said it was pointless my washing them until the whole job was done as they'd only be the same the next day. I finally washed the lot yesterday so hopefully the whiff of woodsmoke that still pervades the air downstairs will vanish
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Apr 18, 9:28 AM
    • 4,874 Posts
    • 27,719 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Thanks! It was a genealogy afternoon - take your own laptop in, do your own research. It was very focussed on Ancestry, and on Ancestry DNA, and I'm just not going to pay a subscription of nearly £100 a year, plus all the faffing about with certificates. Ancestry have enough free days to suit me, and if I want more, the library has a full membership. But I can usefully input some information to let it back up my info a little bit more. That always helps.

There's another couple of family history groups, so I'll try them too, and I have a "should" for French, but I *want* Spanish I'd like Ancient Civilisations, but the speaker on Monday was supposed to be great, and she was very poor (i'm an academic type, there's no two ways about it ). Science might be interesting. Local history too. There'll be something positive. I'm glad your mum has found the right thing for her

Your U3A branch sounds very good, even though a lot of what's currently on offer isn't appealing to you. I must research what my nearest branch has to offer. It's a round trip of 35 miles though so needs to be worth the bother and expense of going. Plus, I doubt I'd be much of a winter attendee. I have to admit that I feel intellectually starved nowadays, something that all my reading doesn't go anywhere near remedying
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 14th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 2,124 Posts
    • 23,576 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Hi karma I'm back from hols and just catching up!

Hope you find the French or Spanish, I am going to redouble my language learning efforts too.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    2k Monthly buffer 2k/2k 5k Travel budget £2384/5k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Apr 18, 4:33 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi CBC, hi earthgirl

Gosh, CBC, if I had to go a 35 mile round trip, I'd hardly ever do it. The two I've been to have been a 15 minute walk away, max - and my town is only 30,000 people, not really a "pensioner" type town too, its more commuters. Sorry your geographical isolation is leading to intellectual starvation

I don't know if it would suit you, CBC, but there's this, the virtual U3A: https://vu3a.org/. Could be a stopgap for you, at least.

I've been checking out my medicine "cabinet" and scanning genealogy stuff at the same time - plus reading a fiction book of the sort that I still hope to write, and even hopped into town to have a look at the clearance section in Dyas I live large, me
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Apr 18, 8:43 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 14,445 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...to have a look at the clearance section in Dyas ...
    Just love a good clearance section KC! Did you find anything worth purchasing?

We may have found the clearance section in a posh chocolate shop today...
    1 YEAR & 9 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    STILL - Juggling the pots to keep in the black! - NOT an easy task!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Nothing at all! I was most disgruntedness

A posh chocolate shop, otoh ... now thats a place worth liberating
    Retired August 2016
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 15th Apr 18, 8:14 AM
    • 1,323 Posts
    • 7,218 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I’ve just been on SJ’s thread and it got me thinking about bacon and now I pop on here and now I’m thinking about posh chocolates!! I’m feeling very hungry now!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    it's a hard life, EE

I quite fancy something tasty myself right now: we'll see
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 29,608 Posts
    • 170,455 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Argh, bleeping genealogy can really take over your life I meant to replace my mum's very blurry photographs with nice sharp online ones, for a little parish church in Northamptonshire. Trouble is, I disappeared into actual research and now I have to email the church well, not the building, I won't do that I'm sure they have a pic on their website of my great-great-grandfather, and his mother was the postmistress, and they definitely have a low-res photo of the post office

Stopping now ... food, garden, anything else but the laptop!
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

260Posts Today

2,168Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin