Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,193Posts
    • 166,700Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 25
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 10th Mar 18, 10:37 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 3,377 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Cbc if you pop in before you have to write the card i don't know if you are aware of the dragonfly symbolism around death but if you have enough space Gayle Shaw Cramer wrote 'we leave our human body behind so we can soar like a dragonfly, free from any human pain or suffering' if you have time have a look at the poem, it's really nice.

These other suggestions are lovely too, simple yet meaningful

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Mar 18, 10:39 AM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 26,769 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I hope you're okay, CBC - I absolutely understand about the cards thing. My sister attaches a lot more importance to them than I do, and thats okay. But even *I* think that funerals are important to get right.

That's really nice.

I bet they do! We all do what we can, when we can. Its doing too much thats the problem (not that I ever do too much cleaning ).
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks again to everyone for their input. I'll feel a lot better once Wednesday has been and gone.

As for cleaning, I'm afraid I'm a believer in doing absolute essentials such as toilets and sinks whenever necessary but leaving the less crucial jobs for a little longer. If things are not exactly injurious to health I can turn a blind eye for quite some time. This probably comes from being brought up by a fanatical mother who had a set cleaning routine where things like skirting boards were cleaned to within an inch of their lives on a set day whether they needed it or not. Not just dusted/wiped over (my slutternly method) but rigorously cleaned with a bleach solution. This was even in rooms that no one ever went into. I still hate the smell of bleach

I live by the mantra of Shirley Conran in her household management 'bible' of the, I think, late 1970s where she said:

'I make no secret of the fact that I would rather lie on a sofa than sweep beneath it. But you have to be efficient if you're going to be lazy'

I know you're anything but lazy, KC, but I certainly can be. Shirley Conran was a believer in getting the essentials done in the most time-saving way. It was a case of deciding on priorities. Some things were totally unnecessary and others could wait. I also like her quote:

'Life's too short to stuff a mushroom'.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: £757.05+. May: £1209.25

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9998
    . Under £10K at long last.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 26,769 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Cbc if you pop in before you have to write the card i don't know if you are aware of the dragonfly symbolism around death but if you have enough space Gayle Shaw Cramer wrote 'we leave our human body behind so we can soar like a dragonfly, free from any human pain or suffering' if you have time have a look at the poem, it's really nice.

These other suggestions are lovely too, simple yet meaningful

Daisy xx
    Originally posted by daisy 1571
    Thank you, daisy. That's lovely. I'm not sure if I'll use it but I'll go and find that poem anyway as it sounds comforting.

• Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Mar 18, 10:52 AM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,700 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Daisy, that sounds lovely.

I know you're anything but lazy, KC, but I certainly can be. Shirley Conran was a believer in getting the essentials done in the most time-saving way. It was a case of deciding on priorities. Some things were totally unnecessary and others could wait. I also like her quote:

'Life's too short to stuff a mushroom'.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    I'm lazy in my head, CBC or rather, I'm a secret teenager still Every time I clean something, or get the dishes into the dishwasher, I can hear my brain saying "but why do I have to do this? It should be just **done**"

And now I'm going to boil a kettle for some tea, and get the dishes into the dishwasher. Reluctantly
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Mar 18, 11:09 AM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    This probably comes from being brought up by a fanatical mother who had a set cleaning routine where things like skirting boards were cleaned to within an inch of their lives on a set day whether they needed it or not. Not just dusted/wiped over (my slutternly method) but rigorously cleaned with a bleach solution.
    Well, to be fair to your mother, if you want stuff clean without putting much effort into it, use bleach.

Wipe it on, and after a short time, it will have slaughtered bacteria, oxidised most dirt into either white or colourless, and turned itself into harmless water (which evaporates) and salt (which is too thin a layer to see).

It's only downside is that it absolutely murders anything you put it on which isn't resistant. In my previous house, I replaced a number of toilet seats because the hinges corroded completely through.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Mar 18, 11:19 AM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 13,858 Thanks
    rtandon27

Morning KC!
    (well only just, having looked at the clock)

You are sounding very cheery & chipper this morning! AMAZED with your SB progress! OH tried it & decided he did not have the patience for it!

Quote buttons have decided not to play nicely today...

Totally agree about doing what you can when you can! These days I get home, eat dinner & then collapse on the sofa - only to revive long enough to crawl up to bed...

Nothing gets done in the evening & sometimes the 'I am a sloth' thought gets entertained - but only briefly!

We've been awake since 6:30 (stoopid body clock) but not actually functional until about 9:30! So achievements are small & manageable - kitchen tidied, check...breakfast, check... d/w on, check... w/m on, check... cuppa green tea, check... sitting on sofa with a blankie & the laptop, check...

That's me done for the next few hours when maybe, just maybe some magical energy dust may have found it's way to me...
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Mar 18, 11:29 AM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 26,769 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Well, to be fair to your mother, if you want stuff clean without putting much effort into it, use bleach.

Wipe it on, and after a short time, it will have slaughtered bacteria, oxidised most dirt into either white or colourless.....
    Originally posted by ZTD
    I take your point but I'm afraid Mum's method was anything but effortless. It involved much rubbing and scrubbing even when there wasn't a mark to be seen before she started.

I'm surprised the paintwork survived but, now I think of it, Dad did seem to do a lot of indoor painting

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Mar 18, 11:42 AM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,865 Thanks
    ZTD
    I take your point but I'm afraid Mum's method was anything but effortless. It involved much rubbing and scrubbing even when there wasn't a mark to be seen before she started.
    My technique relies on the:
    • Put it on
    • Wait 30 minutes
    • "Ooh...isn't it sparkly?"
    • "Is that hinge corroding again? I've just replaced that..."

"Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 10th Mar 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,654 Posts
    • 9,659 Thanks
    themadvix
    I definitely think there are more important things to do in life than housework.... I'd far rather lie on the sofa than sweep beneath it.... but then when you invite people round there's much more housework to be done than if you just did it every day..... (Says she who has spent all morning doing housework in the knowledge that the in-laws are coming for lunch tomorrow!)
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 10th Mar 18, 2:46 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 26,769 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I definitely think there are more important things to do in life than housework.... I'd far rather lie on the sofa than sweep beneath it.... but then when you invite people round there's much more housework to be done than if you just did it every day..... (Says she who has spent all morning doing housework in the knowledge that the in-laws are coming for lunch tomorrow!)
    Originally posted by themadvix
    When my uber-houseproud Mother visited us I was running round like a headless chicken for days beforehand. Luckily, as she lived a couple of hundred miles from us, she always gave plenty of prior notice of an impending visit. I think I would have passed out completely if she'd ever just turned up at the door

• pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 10th Mar 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,209 Posts
    • 9,921 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Evening Karma Hope your having a lovely, snow free pottering Saturday xx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Mar 18, 11:14 AM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,700 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good evening PP and good morning too

No snow here, but I didn't do anything outside either except have a bit of a walk. I started stacking the patchwork material, and scanning the photographs that are temporarily in my care, organising them better at the same time.

This morning - another email from SB telling me I'll also get points for the little Argos purchase. No email about the big cruise payment, so maybe I won't get any extra SB - I'm not following that up, life's too short.

Today, more of the same really, faffing with the pictures, the dw is on, and I've watched my latest tv obsession, which I find fascinating - Barnwood Builders on the Travel channel. They disassemble and renovate old pioneer log cabins from the 18th and 19th centuries, mostly in the state of Virginia. And they're very funny as well as fascinating.

PS one of my little sets of supermarket chives, which I repotted last month, has a bud I'm very excited!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Mar 18, 3:33 PM
    • 54,024 Posts
    • 214,074 Thanks
    beanielou
    Karmcat~~I would say worth an email to SB's re big cruise purchase.
    I wouldent for wee purchases though.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 11th Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 4,719 Posts
    • 26,769 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    I was flicking through TV channels yesterday and was overjoyed (I'm easily pleased) to come across a programme with Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (hope I've got that correct) exploring Dartmoor. I probably would have kept on scrolling as I'm not a big fan of his but he was just starting a segment on house martins with some wonderful slow motion photography showing how they manage to zoom through the tiny openings into their nests at such speed. I learned a lot of new information too so was delighted that I found this programme totally by chance

I've got a bit of an obsession with these wonderful little birds. I'm not a bird fan normally in fact I have something of a bird phobia. I recall causing merriment on this thread last year when I was likened to Tony Soprano after saying I was bereft when they'd all departed for Africa in the Autumn. They'll be back again fairly soon. Can't wait. They always return to the neighbourhood where they were born and we had more than usual last year. I just hope all the turbulent weather hasn't decimated them. I'll keep you posted, I'm sure you're all fascinated

• gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 11th Mar 18, 5:32 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 109,546 Thanks
    gallygirl
    The house martins have started returning here and I think I saw some swallows as well .

How are you with ospreys - am guessing they're a bit too big . The webcam at Rutland Water is up and running though I don't think any have left Africa yet.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 11th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 16,589 Posts
    • 109,546 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Hapyy New Diary KC!
    Hope you are having a great time. I really loved the viking ship museum while I was in Oslo. Something you wouldn't get to see everywhere. Have Fun.
    Originally posted by Caroline Parker
    Oh I'd forgotten about that . The ships were so little - I wouldn't have crossed the bay in them let alone the North Sea .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Mar 18, 8:32 PM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,700 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Karmcat~~I would say worth an email to SB's re big cruise purchase.
    I wouldent for wee purchases though.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    You're right, actually it's at least worth investigating, the cashback would be quite a bit thank you beanie.

I've got a bit of an obsession with these wonderful little birds. I'm not a bird fan normally in fact I have something of a bird phobia. I recall causing merriment on this thread last year when I was likened to Tony Soprano after saying I was bereft when they'd all departed for Africa in the Autumn. They'll be back again fairly soon. Can't wait. They always return to the neighbourhood where they were born and we had more than usual last year. I just hope all the turbulent weather hasn't decimated them. I'll keep you posted, I'm sure you're all fascinated
    Aw, CBC! I'm starting to see a few buds here and there, and the odd cat sunbathing happily. So birds returning from Africa will be a wonderful thing Like you, I just hope the weather hasn't hurt their numbers too much.

The house martins have started returning here and I think I saw some swallows as well .

How are you with ospreys - am guessing they're a bit too big . The webcam at Rutland Water is up and running though I don't think any have left Africa yet.
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    That's great GG! And we can look forward to murmurations soon

With ospreys
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Mar 18, 8:37 PM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,700 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hapyy New Diary KC!
    Hope you are having a great time. I really loved the viking ship museum while I was in Oslo. Something you wouldn't get to see everywhere. Have Fun.
    Originally posted by Caroline Parker
    Hello Caroline welcome to the thread! Our cruise won't be going to Oslo, unfortunately - but I was there in 1976, believe it or not the Museum Quarter in Oslo has to be seen to be believed, doesn't it.

Oh I'd forgotten about that . The ships were so little - I wouldn't have crossed the bay in them let alone the North Sea .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    Yep, sort of big rowing boats I'm sure I'd fall over the side in the first storm
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 29,193 Posts
    • 166,700 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning! I've been tormenting myself by watching weather reports from all sorts of sources, online and on tv - I'm supposed to go to a council run Healthy Walk this morning, but the Met Office is now saying that, at that time, there's a better than 95% chance of rain, and that figure's been upped in the last few hours.

That's it, I'm not going! I'll go out later on my own, even if that does mean I don't meet up with those people - getting rained on for 45 minutes is not a healthy thing to do in my current situation.

Okay, so what to do today to help my main goals ... hmmm, basically finishing off what I can and continuing other projects:
    - still not finished stashing the patchwork materials
    - I'm tidying computer folders of photos like crazy, because I already have copies of a lot of photos - its no help at all to scan the same photos multiple times so I have to know what I've got.
    - tidying up the *actual* photos. My mother really, really had no clue on how to file things systematically. And she was very generous about showing people things, and lending people things, but she never returned that stuff to the place where she'd originally put it
    - go a walk when I'm fairly sure its stopped raining.
    - wm on, I can do that now. Which ties in to the other thing - regular stretching. Plus I'll be hunting out my vitamins stash and taking some.
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 12th Mar 18, 12:57 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 22,355 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Hope you don't get wet and it sounds like you'll be using the time very well. My mum does the healthy walk thing and likes it, made a few friends. Hope it suits you too when the weather improves. 45mins is ok though?
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    Sept 17 £22,619 Jan 18 - £11,687 Mar 18 -£8524
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5Posts Today

3,976Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin