Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,176Posts
    • 166,537Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 23
    • EatingTheElephant
    • By EatingTheElephant 4th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 7,059 Thanks
    EatingTheElephant
    I am expecting a lot of flooding around here CBC, you can see the water building up everywhere. Our tack room has flooded already up the field and I fell over in a big puddle walking the dog yesterday
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Mar 18, 12:24 PM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Glad you got the boiler sorted out. I've heard of a few people who've had the same problem.

I haven't been out of the house since Wednesday when there was a sunny break in the weather. We are on quite high ground here so the snow isn't disappearing as quick as I'd like, but I'm hoping to get out tomorrow for a while as I'm going a bit stir crazy now !
    Originally posted by Goldiegirl
    Hi Goldie I haven't experienced the stir-craziness the way some people have, because of all the kerfuffle of so much new stuff in the house and the worry of my brother's long drive home on one of the worst days ... I'm starting to experience it now though

Have you seen the "walk like a penguin" advice in icy weather?

Hands vaguely out to the sides, loose knees, toes turned slightly out with weight balanced over your knees.

Apparently the best position to recover from. Sounds like my regular skiing position, with weight on alternating skis so they didn't separate. Works for me.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    I haven't seen that! What fun I may have to blog about that

Ick - it's pouring where we are KC! - just ventured out to get rid of the recycling & a bag of rubbish and now wish I'd just stayed warm and dry inside!

Snow is starting to melt which means back to work by Monday - it was fun while it lasted!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    What a shame, RT, on all counts! Hope you make the most of today in relaxation and comfort. Neighbours are coming and going pretty much as normal here now, though all wrapped up very well. I may do a little bit outside, depending on the rain - which has been coming down at every opportunity since 2pm yesterday, grrr.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Mar 18, 12:29 PM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    The lane out of our hamlet has been pretty much impassable for about 3 days through snow drifting off the miles of totally open fields. Getting back to normal now as the postman came yesterday for the first time since Tuesday. His van must have been overloaded with everyone's stockpiled mail, he brought us 15 items.
    Originally posted by carbootcrazy
    On one journey through the Midlands a looong time ago, I distinctly remember being on a very little road right on what seemed like the top of a moor, and there was a temporary fence paralleling the road - I was told it was to help stop the snow drifting. Don't know whether it was true, or if it *did* help, but it strikes me that two feet of snow in a strong wind can become twelve feet much more easily than I realised. Something to think about, for sure.

I haven't been snowed in, not really, but I think I'd better open *my* post too

I was amazed to see they are holding a half-marathon or something similar in London today.
    I haven't watched the news for long enough to let that information percolate into my head Good grief.

I am expecting a lot of flooding around here CBC, you can see the water building up everywhere. Our tack room has flooded already up the field and I fell over in a big puddle walking the dog yesterday
    Originally posted by EatingTheElephant
    Uh oh .... that really doesn't sound good, EE. I hope there isn't any tack that got damaged.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Mar 18, 12:34 PM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I think I've found all the places where I temporarily stored the patchwork stash - but I've had to spread out to general tidying before I can do anything else this is an utterly ridiculous state of affairs. I live alone in a 3 bed house once judged adequate for a family of 4 or 5. How can I possibly have not enough storage? First world problems!
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Mar 18, 7:26 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,567 Thanks
    beanielou
    We have had no post since Tuesday.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Mar 18, 8:56 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 13,837 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Surprisingly our posty made it to us yesterday & amazingly before things thawed out - but nothing important was expected anyway!
    1.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Still working hard to keep up the good habits!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Surprisingly our posty made it to us yesterday & amazingly before things thawed out - but nothing important was expected anyway!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    That's an important point to note

I guess you're back on your commute, RT, as is everyone else in the south at least. I hope it all goes well - the news is full of Oscars, so I'm thinking nothing major has happened so far.

I was doing a lot of scanning & general computer stuff for genealogy reasons yesterday, it felt good to get a bit more organised. In that spirit, I also swept the living room floor I can't tell you how much I picked up ...

So, today, I'm back at home base, recovered from the trip home and its accessories, what is my to-do list:
    - open post. Sod it!
    - phone call needed to arrange routine checkup.
    - second phone call needed to arrange second routine checkup.
    - blog about the cold weather and precautions.
    - finish sorting patchwork stash.
    - 1 card and two emails need sending, to connect with various people. For me, this is like pulling teeth, so they should be separate items on the to-do list, but I'm ashamed of myself

Okay. Oh, and cut my hair as well. Oh dear
    Last edited by Karmacat; 05-03-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Mar 18, 10:13 AM
    • 8,124 Posts
    • 40,059 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I always put writing cards and posting things on my list as separate items KC, no need to be embarrassed

We've had no post since Tuesday either! And we have had some very exciting sculptural drifts blowing off the snow - our wheelie bin was literally covered up But finally there has been a bit of a thaw, the main road is clear, and yesterday we made it to the local town

Apparently we're expecting a parcel between 10.11 and 11.11 today - if he makes it I'll be telling the delivery driver he's our first visitor in our new house

Glad you've made it home safe KC
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Mar 18, 10:58 AM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks Cheery! The drifting snow takes snow depths to extremes, doesn't it, but I do remember my first year in this house, the wheelie bin looked like it was wearing a pompom

Your new house sounds great - and I do love the sharpness of your delivery people round there, very impressive to be so accurate with the timing

I'm glad you do the separate thing too! These people are a pleasure to contact, but still ....

As expected, post was dull as ditchwater, except that it contained my new passport, to be used for Norway Lots of documents, sigh, some of which have admin work attached to them, some of which don't.

I've opened the post and done the first routine thingummy, plus gathered the card supplies from my stash. Thats a miracle, I guarantee. More laterz ...
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 1:28 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,567 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy new house Cheery Daff

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 1:37 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,567 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a good week Karmcat

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thanks beanie - its starting well, for sure. I actually posted the "hello" card, only 5 days late or so plus I sent the requested photographs off to the writer Calling a halt now, for a nice long break
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 2:07 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,567 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have written some notes for a commitee I am on & oooops here I am back on here

***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    omigod, I remember when I was on the committee of the local counselling organisation, and I hated it **so** much! Best of luck, beanie, I'm sorry but you're going to need it

Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Mar 18, 2:23 PM
    • 53,926 Posts
    • 213,567 Thanks
    beanielou
    omigod, I remember when I was on the committee of the local counselling organisation, and I hated it **so** much! Best of luck, beanie, I'm sorry but you're going to need it

Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks

***Keep plodding***
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 6th Mar 18, 8:45 AM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 9,614 Thanks
    themadvix
    I can't say I miss my minute-writing duties from previous committee roles

KC, if it helps, my to-do list today includes 'text so-and-so' and 'email the same so-and-so' as separate items... whatever helps to get it done, I say!
    OPs 2017 = £3103
    S&S ISA 2017 = £626
    OPs 2016 = £6142.12
    Starting balance 2012: £132000; balance Dec 2017: £96,822
    MFW2017 no. 38
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Mar 18, 8:53 AM
    • 8,124 Posts
    • 40,059 Thanks
    Cheery Daff

Your new house sounds great - and I do love the sharpness of your delivery people round there, very impressive to be so accurate with the timing
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    I would have been more impressed if they'd delivered it to our actual HOUSE rather than dropping it off at the local post office, which is two miles away There was no snow left on the road either so I can't see any reason other than they wouldn't have made their silly delivery window if they'd come all the way out to the house!

Ooh, passport sounds exciting, as does Norway!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Mar 18, 9:10 AM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    KC, if it helps, my to-do list today includes 'text so-and-so' and 'email the same so-and-so' as separate items... whatever helps to get it done, I say!
    Originally posted by themadvix
    Yes it does, thank you! Sometimes I get to the stage quoted by the most recent Letter Writer to Captain Awkward, "I’m now an awkwardness alien who can’t effing Person anymore". Possibly I have more of the need for perfection thing going on than I realised ...

So, the list was:
    - open post.
    Yes

- phone call needed to arrange routine checkup.
    Yes

- second phone call needed to arrange second routine checkup.
    Not yet

- blog about the cold weather and precautions.
    Started

- finish sorting patchwork stash.
    Not yet

- 1 card and two emails need sending,
    Card sent.
    No email yet.
    No email yet (see what I did there )

- cut my hair
    Yes its ragged, but I'm not going to a hairdresser till flu season ends.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 29,176 Posts
    • 166,537 Thanks
    Karmacat
    So, to add to the to-do list:
    - phone builder from last Nov/Dec to get them to replace the latch on the side gate that leads to the garden. At the moment, I'm having to store an old kitchen knife at the front of the house, because a linkage of some sort inside the latch has broken I nearly got trapped when I used the back door to go to the front of the house ....

- lots more tidying/scanning/sorting, partly to make space for a supermarket delivery today, partly because my sister's coming round tomorrow and its a good chance to get rid of some stuff of hers that I needed to scan first
    Retired August 2016
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 6th Mar 18, 9:30 AM
    • 4,712 Posts
    • 26,714 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Good to see you've opened your post, KC.

I'm a major procrastinator in lots of areas of my life but opening my post isn't one of them. I can happily ignore a ringing phone or delay opening emails but just can't ignore my post. I have to open envelopes as soon as I get them each day, even though I can tell from the outside of some of the envelopes that they might contain something less than pleasant, such as bills.

I phoned my SIL yesterday and she was in the midst of going through the masses of photographs that my brother had gathered together. All our family photos from childhood days went to him and he put them on disc years ago. He sent me some discs but I'm not sure I have any equipment where I can view them nowadays. My laptop doesn't have a disc-drive.. I assume I can buy one to plug in.

She said she was planning to hand the actual photo stash over to me but to be honest I don't really want them. I'm not a photo person, I have so few that I ever took, and have no idea what I'll do with them if I get them. Probably better for me just to have a look at them and then pass them on to my brother's children and grandchildren as I have no children of my own.
    Make £10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: £757.05+. May: £1209.25

Original Debt: £56804 (@02/13). Now: £9998
    . Under £10K at long last.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,217Posts Today

8,439Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin