Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,006Posts
    • 165,116Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 16
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,858 Thanks
    ZTD
    Is it just me? A long schlong fresh from Hong Kong spounds okay.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    It probably pounds okay as well...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 10th Feb 18, 6:38 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,858 Thanks
    ZTD
    Yes, like you will be deleting PM's much more promptly.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I take it you didn't mean to send me a blank PM then?

Remember, all this is just users doing what they can to minimise their own risk. As an admin there's far more options - you could HTTPs stuff and combine it with logging/anomaly detection/a full-blooded SIEM.

Also, remember when sending things to remind the recipient to "read and eat". It's no good it disappearing from your sent items to spend a long vacation in someone's Inbox
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Feb 18, 6:52 PM
    • 52,903 Posts
    • 208,172 Thanks
    beanielou
    A blank PM
    Only I would manage that!
    I still have PM's in my box from kissjenn, taxi & others sadly no longer here. That's ok though.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 29,006 Posts
    • 165,116 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Is it just me? A long schlong fresh from Hong Kong spounds okay.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Yes, its just you SHS

I still have PM's in my box from kissjenn, taxi & others sadly no longer here. That's ok though.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I download many pms, beanie - there's an option to do it, right there at the bottom of the list.

Also, remember when sending things to remind the recipient to "read and eat". It's no good it disappearing from your sent items to spend a long vacation in someone's Inbox
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Ooh! Yes! Good job you mentioned that. Thanks again Z
    Retired August 2016
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 11th Feb 18, 9:32 AM
    • 16,553 Posts
    • 109,338 Thanks
    gallygirl
    MSE have previously lost usernames & passwords before (and sat on it for many months) and if GallyGirl suddenly sends you a PM offering you tablets which will give you a "long schlong fresh from Hong Kong, only 20 Dong" - you can safely ignore it and delete.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Well thanks for ruining my business plan .

PS - did it work ?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Feb 18, 9:50 AM
    • 29,006 Posts
    • 165,116 Thanks
    Karmacat
    And ... as well as the wonderful sunshine, I have to note on here that ever since my conversation with Three, when they promised to send a credit note against the Amazon voucher they failed to send me, and another £20 in compensation for messing me about so much, they seem to have cut me off - my phone is linked to both my house wifi, and to the mobile data service. I can use the internet on it, but I can't get/send messages or phone calls. Not acceptable. So as soon as I've had a snack (I got up early, thats my excuse) I have to ring them I'm really, really not looking forward to it.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 9:52 AM
    • 52,903 Posts
    • 208,172 Thanks
    beanielou
    Karmcat~~POsitive vibes for the phone call.
    Technology is only good when it works sadly.
    Sometimes I love it & sometimes I hate it.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 11th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Excursions sound lovely Karma ( as does the lunch! Nomnom)

Writing sounds fab, really interesting !

A bit re the password stuff, bit important to know!!

Happy Sunday
    Ella X
    MF planning for the simple life
    • Downshifterella
    • By Downshifterella 11th Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 683 Thanks
    Downshifterella
    Ooo and good luck with the phone call!! X
    MF planning for the simple life
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 9,493 Thanks
    pinkypig
    I hate calls like that too Karma, good luck. Hope you have a lovely rest of the weekend xx
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Feb 18, 12:53 PM
    • 29,006 Posts
    • 165,116 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thank you both, much appreciated

45 minutes later, I'm off the phone, and its kind of working.
    "Please take the sim out."
    "No!"
    "Okay, restart the phone".
    "Okay .... doesn't work."
    "Fiddling about, don't go away."
    ....... cue very loud hold music ....
    "I'm getting all the texts that didn't arrive for the last 3 days, looks like its working, though there's no actual signal bars showing."
    "Here's a free app for making sure your phone calls and texts can happen even when you don't have a mobile signal, by hopping on to your wifi".
    "So what was it?"
    "The restart was the key"
    "No it wasn't ... you did something else after the restart."

I gave up at that point, the poor guy probably deals with 100 calls a shift. Does it worry anyone else that Three are giving out a free app, at Google Play, so people can use wifi for calls and texts when their mobile signal dies?

Anyway, I'm done with the computer and the mobile, for the rest of the day. Thank heavens I had this space to keep myself sane!

xxx
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    • 52,903 Posts
    • 208,172 Thanks
    beanielou
    That just sounds like one of my worse nightmares to be honest

***Keep plodding***
    • Goldiegirl
    • By Goldiegirl 11th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 8,320 Posts
    • 48,797 Thanks
    Goldiegirl
    Yes, I hate that sort of thing. I still haven't got over the messing around that I had to do with Talk Talk, when the internet kept cutting out. I suppose they have to keep to their script, but when you know it's them at fault because everyone on the Talk Talk forum had the same problem it was fairly annoying. I shifted to Virgin shortly afterwards. Virgin do have periodic outages, but phoning them isn't quite as bad as phoning Talk Talk.

Glad you have got it resolved KC
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Feb 18, 6:55 PM
    • 29,006 Posts
    • 165,116 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Hi both yes, worst nightmare scenario here. I went a walk in the sun, got back in time to avoid the hail (!!!! 15 minutes of it!) and cooked a very fatty, protein-filled meal, which was great

I couldn't be bothered settling to anything serious after that lot, so I've just been tidying papers - finishing off putting the accounts papers away, found a flatbread recipe my mum sent me on a newspaper clipping, that sort of thing. Good fun
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 11th Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,858 Thanks
    ZTD
    Well thanks for ruining my business plan .
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    You need to have a better name - gallygirl doesn't give the right message. Perhaps Wei Hung Lo would be better?

Does it worry anyone else that Three are giving out a free app, at Google Play, so people can use wifi for calls and texts when their mobile signal dies?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    No. Traditionally 3 have always had poor coverage compared to the other companies. The fact that they consider you'll still have wifi but not phone coverage would seem to indicate they think it's a lot worse that I do.

Or they're clutching at straws...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Feb 18, 12:33 PM
    • 29,006 Posts
    • 165,116 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Afternoon all! I've been on my healthy walk, man it was cold out there. New leader wanted to take photos, I hid behind a big guy - I was still in ex-therapist mode, really don't fancy my image being out there for social stuff. The guy made sure he stood square on to the camera, he was very sweet

Right, I've made a commitment with Pinky Pig to read through the next 3 chapters of my book, so thats what I'll do.

While I was waiting for my pasta, I also started to sort 2017-18 accounts papers so I'll finish that.

Some labouring work needed on the property: I need to gather together all the stuff that my brother will take to the local tip when he drives down, and linked to that I also need to gather together all the gubbins - concrete, bricks etc - that I'm going to use for reinforcing the underside of a garden fence, I'm safeguarding soil seepage from mine and also safeguarding my garden from their dogs. I want to get all the stuff together so bruv and sister can see it and I can pick their brains as appropriately as possible
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Feb 18, 8:34 PM
    • 29,006 Posts
    • 165,116 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Pretty good!
    - accounts papers - first stack is sorted - there's another stack, but thats for another day, thats fine.
    - stack of carp for the tip has been stacked stuff to underpin the fence collected. My sister pointed out that bruv did some work while he was here last time, and maybe he could actually do the fence this time, rather than us just nattering about it. That would be great, but we'll see what he says himself, after all!
    - reading through chapters. Yep - but it reads too much like an mse diary rethinks are needed. I'll finish reading through first, so I can treat it all the same way.

So, tomorrow's tasks:
    - finish read through.
    - travel insurance.
    - more on the garden.
    Retired August 2016
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 12th Feb 18, 8:49 PM
    • 1,963 Posts
    • 22,037 Thanks
    earthgirl
    That sounds like a lot of walking and working karma, hope it!!!8217;s suiting you.
    I was hoping for a day in the garden tomorrow but might have to give it a miss in the sleet! X
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Dec 13 - £116,508 Bought Dream House Dec 14 - £94, 402 (£22,106 offset in 2014) Jan 16 - £67, 852 (£26,550 offset in 2015) Dec 16 - £33,529 ( £34,323offset in 2016)
    Jan 17 - £39, 773 (Re-estimation of endowments )
    Sept 17 £22,619 Jan 18 - £11,687 Mar 18 -£8524
    Kids savings 13,578/36k
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 29,006 Posts
    • 165,116 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds like a lot of walking and working karma, hope it!!!8217;s suiting you.
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    Hi sweetie! Yes, it does suit me, tbh - it helps get my own environment more to my liking, it builds my stamina (a bit!), fewer places for bugs to hide, and its a useful way of using the time before spring when I can take other initiatives to meet people, which is what I really need.
    I was hoping for a day in the garden tomorrow but might have to give it a miss in the sleet! X
    Ug, you have sleet? I'm giving my own garden work a miss today, its been throwing it down for hours, the most I could do is a bit of weeding at the border, when I can stand on the path.

Not done anything on my list yet, I've been faffing and playing with SB - I actually got a survey to complete and credit me, which was a risk and it was really well paid for SB stuff, but even so the rate of return in time invested is appalling - part of me is time and motioning all this stuff for my brother - I made him join SB but after the basics, YouGov and Pinecone are likely to be better. More research, if I can, before I head up north.

Second Breakfast now
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 29,006 Posts
    • 165,116 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Okay, who's hidden my Visa cc? Purse, handbag, grab bag, shopping trolley, desk, coat, fleeces hanging up in the wardrobe ... its not in any of them.
    Retired August 2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,826Posts Today

7,896Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Facebook giving evidence I believe just said "mr lewis said there are 50 ads, but we checked and found 1,000s".? https://t.co/4dAe8PCTCb

• Follow Martin