Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 31,311Posts
    • 184,427Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 2:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
Page 138
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 11th Apr 19, 4:46 PM
    • 31,311 Posts
    • 184,427 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You can reach your computer - that's a relief... had visions of you penned into a corner by kitchen units otherwise!
    Originally posted by themadvix

Wall tiles and bark chippings, eh? Wanders off to ponder what on earth karma's final kitchen design could be...
    Originally posted by apple muncher

The joys of multi-tasking my blackcurrant bush is becoming more and more clear of weeds, and consequently having topsoil and bark chippings as extra adornments
    I'm freeeee till tomorrow at 8am when the builder comes to measure for the RSJ, anyway

Talking of freedom: being up and out comparatively early made me realise that my shady little space that I'm clearing catches the morning sun beautifully - like 7.30 or so, when it's still pleasant even on the hottest day. I see a few outdoor cups of coffee in my near future.
    Retired August 2016
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 11th Apr 19, 9:02 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 7,615 Thanks
    teapot2
    Sunny morning space sounds good Glad the kitchen delivery went smoothly. When my neighbours did theirs, the units arrived ready built, the work was behind as they were building an extension too so their living room was completely filled with boxes for months and they had to retreat upstairs
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 12th Apr 19, 8:46 AM
    • 31,311 Posts
    • 184,427 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning! I'm definitely going to retreat upstairs, teapot - there's a thin little strip of floor that contains an armchair, a chair that acts as a side table, and the tv. But when the work starts, that space will need to be used for the fridge freezer, the washing machine and the dishwasher, they can't stay in there while the replumbing and rewiring is going on. The floor space I have downstairs is literally half or less than my brother and sister both have - odd, but there you go!

Last lot of builders have been, measuring the RSJ (and they wanted to see upstairs where the RSJ would be supporting, omg, currently full of kitchen stuff). They want to do their work on Easter Monday **faints**

I really want a day out today, there's a local show on about RVs and camper vans, but I'm shattered. I'll have a bit of a walk up and down the garden, and see if I can cope.
    Retired August 2016
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 13th Apr 19, 6:52 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 5,538 Thanks
    daisy 1571

The joys of multi-tasking my blackcurrant bush is becoming more and more clear of weeds, and consequently having topsoil and bark chippings as extra adornments
    I'm freeeee till tomorrow at 8am when the builder comes to measure for the RSJ, anyway

Talking of freedom: being up and out comparatively early made me realise that my shady little space that I'm clearing catches the morning sun beautifully - like 7.30 or so, when it's still pleasant even on the hottest day. I see a few outdoor cups of coffee in my near future.
    Originally posted by Karmacat

Aw thanks kc, that reminded me if our last house where we made a little patio (that's giving it airs and graces!!) against the side hedge and we put a little bench and table. We called it the morning bench and we used to have early morning cuppas there. I have a lovely photo of FatCat lounging on the table in the sun. She was my favourite cat and had such a bond with me. We adored each other. Even though she was occasionally lovingly called FatCat (and Speed Bump after her habit of lying across narrow hallways or door entries) I didn't realise how heavy she was till looking at photos after she had gone at her heaviest she was like a really huge slice of triangular toblerone when she was sitting up she still made it to 18 though. Aw I miss her still. Sorry that started as a nice wee story about my lovely morning bench

Hope you get to enjoy the show today

Daisy xx
    Last edited by daisy 1571; 13-04-2019 at 6:55 AM.
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 13th Apr 19, 8:55 AM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 15,612 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hope you got some good rest yesterday KC!
    2+ YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Apr 19, 9:26 AM
    • 8,034 Posts
    • 81,477 Thanks
    greent
    Hope you're feeling rested today x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1603.41/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £155.17/£500
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 13th Apr 19, 1:46 PM
    • 31,311 Posts
    • 184,427 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Good afternoon lovely people thanks for popping in I feel much better today, thanks, headache has gone (dehydration headache, I think, eek!) and I got sooo much sleep compared to previous nights.

Some admin stuff with my sister needed about the catsitting, we're swapping over tomorrow and I actually did get out to the caravan/RV show. To find it *wasn't* a caravan/RV show: it was a "park home" show double wide things, with ten foot high ceilings, decking around two sides, utility rooms, two bathrooms, studies, in other words substitute homes. They don't have foundations in the ground, that's why they're called "park" - there are no wheels on these babies! £400k on a secure site in Surrey .... no RVs at all, I was really looking forward to seeing some, I still have a hankering after renting out the house and playing in an RV for a few years

I'm glad I went! I can cross it off the list, at least

ETA Daisy thanks for sharing about the little morning sunspot and Fat Cat
    Retired August 2016
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 13th Apr 19, 2:45 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 7,615 Thanks
    teapot2
    Glad you are feeling better and got a decent sleep , I imagine all the upcoming kitchen and building works and moving stuff around might be unsettling even if its exciting?

Shame the show wasn't what you expected, there are a few of those parks around here with static caravans and lodges. They are much cheaper than the one you mentioned though I think there will be all sort of charges on top of the purchase price. I think you can only live in them for 11 months a year as well.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Apr 19, 8:07 AM
    • 31,311 Posts
    • 184,427 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Yep, the £400k fully-sited-in-Surrey thing was "from £150k" in other circumstances. Still no good for me living the dream of pootling about the sierras in Spain mind you, I don't think that's doable, but you never know

Lovely looking day here, but very cold, an actual honest to goodness frost ... I'm being wary about when I stick my nose out of the door
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Apr 19, 12:13 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,194 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Sunday xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • earthgirl
    • By earthgirl 14th Apr 19, 1:42 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 26,719 Thanks
    earthgirl
    Oooh OH and I were just talking about spain in winter when the kids leave home. It's so cold here for so long - although it's beautiful in summer. Not sure I'd have the confidence to do the RV thing though - imagine they'd be difficult to maneouvre etc?
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again

My Planner : https://youtu.be/nB8pejCDV1k

10 Extreme Ways to Cut Costs: https://youtu.be/LGARCHqh4ME
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Apr 19, 6:46 PM
    • 16,771 Posts
    • 110,492 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Not sure I'd have the confidence to do the RV thing though - imagine they'd be difficult to maneouvre etc?
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    We get a lot down our way. It's not the driving them that bothers me, it's the 'how long before we kill each other being cooped up in here together' that concerns me .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 15,612 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...It's not the driving them that bothers me, it's the 'how long before we kill each other being cooped up in here together' that concerns me .
    Originally posted by gallygirl

GG - this is exactly how I'd feel!

Last month OH came with me on a business trip, and we were in an airbnb which was about 1/4 of the house we live in
    ...let's just say we were BOTH very happy to be home! - Having an upstairs, downstairs & outside makes for a happy 'together' life!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 19, 6:11 PM
    • 31,311 Posts
    • 184,427 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oooh OH and I were just talking about spain in winter when the kids leave home. It's so cold here for so long - although it's beautiful in summer. Not sure I'd have the confidence to do the RV thing though - imagine they'd be difficult to maneouvre etc?
    Originally posted by earthgirl
    You're right, thats the reality that stops me. Maybe a little boat that pootles along from harbour to harbour on calm days is the best I can dream of: between public transport and a little scooter, that would be fine

We get a lot down our way. It's not the driving them that bothers me, it's the 'how long before we kill each other being cooped up in here together' that concerns me .
    Originally posted by gallygirl

GG - this is exactly how I'd feel!

Last month OH came with me on a business trip, and we were in an airbnb which was about 1/4 of the house we live in
    ...let's just say we were BOTH very happy to be home! - Having an upstairs, downstairs & outside makes for a happy 'together' life!
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    These made me laugh
    They're so much *me*, in fact, that I'm on my own by choice so technically it would be okay, but it's never really likely to happen.
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    • 31,311 Posts
    • 184,427 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Got up here yesterday afternoon, to the Big Smoke the cats had been left alone overnight so pushed their heads out between the stair spindles straight away to stare at me it was very funny.

Slight problem here because the heating doesn't work (my sister thinks she bollixed the wireless thermostat). So she came up again today - we faffed over it for an hour or more, succeeded in changing the batteries, resetting the thing, all sorts, didn't work. She brought a fan heater for me, however, so we gave up and went to admire TKMaxx's Clapham branch. Wonderful and a day fare is really cheap, I can see I might actually shop there in future. I have plenty of everyday clothes, but a few of their Gold labels (Armani for £30) wouldn't go amiss if we manage to go on a cruise again.

I'm back in the flat now: catching up on seasons of The Walking Dead, and have found out that my sister is taping GoT season 8 for her daughter, so I can pop over a couple of days and binge watch life is good.
    Last edited by Karmacat; 15-04-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 19, 7:02 PM
    • 62,688 Posts
    • 272,194 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your cat sitting
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 15th Apr 19, 9:52 PM
    • 2,042 Posts
    • 7,615 Thanks
    teapot2
    Keep warm and have fun with the cats. Love the picture of them sticking their heads through the stair spindles to check you out
    • themadvix
    • By themadvix 16th Apr 19, 8:57 AM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 12,949 Thanks
    themadvix
    Love the image of the cats Hope the fan heater is sufficient - if I remember rightly from last time, it was rather chilly at times!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    • 31,311 Posts
    • 184,427 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You're right, it *was* chilly last time - wore my fleece in bed! Fan heaters don't give a good depth of heat, but they're fast, I'll give them that

I've had a day off today: though that's included Sainsbo shopping, whatsapping to Singapore about money for the cleaner here tomorrow, texting with bruv about an emergency hospital admission for a family member, and trying to wake up the cats enough to play with them! They just love laying claim to the bed, so they're sleeping on it all they can Plus I'm trying to watch about 3 seasons of Walking Dead - Amazon added a new one overnight, up to 8 now!
    Retired August 2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Apr 19, 5:05 PM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 15,612 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh dear - boo to heat not functioning - hope you were able to get it working when wh@t's apping about the cleaner!

Hope the kitties were sufficiently cuddly to provide some warmth!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

514Posts Today

5,692Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin