Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 29,312Posts
    • 167,838Thanks
    Karmacat
    Travelling On
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    Travelling On 2nd Jan 18 at 3:38 PM
    2018 really is a “travelling on” year for me: the final push, as far as finances and organisation are concerned. But I still need to look after the rest of me, so here it all is, adapted from the review I did on the last few pages of my previous diary:

Make good memories.
    Building on last year. Carrying on reconnecting with old friends and new.
    Make new friends, especially locally.
    Our little board games group - we're all retired now!
    Rejoin the local writing group?

Plus holidays and creative work, see below.

Holidays
    A UK holiday for all three of us, probably to Hadrian's Wall.
    A cruise: current thinking is a 14 day-er with Tui to Norway; you could really do Norway in that time.

Creativity
    I wanted to do lots of writing around one blog, and lots of design work around another, and I haven't done either of those things. I've missed it. A second edition of my original kindle book is needed, a new kindle is nearly ready, I can do a novel. There are a couple of options for another factual one.

And if I'm ever going to design any cat cards or geometric patterns, this is the year.

Jobs around the house
    The house is definitely my house now, not a work-live space. Replaster the hall, repair the hardstanding and the patio, some electrical work on the ground floor. Lots of other bits that are really little.

Garden
    Weeding, getting compost, topsoil and bark chippings down, so I can plant edible perennials.
    Frences need weatherproofing. Prunings from hedging plants need burning to add to the soil.

Health
    I'm carrying on
    getting better – need to get enough sleep. And I need stamina and strength – just enough to have a day out in London for instance.
    Healthy walks run by the local council. Dance classes, by the end of the year?

Finances.
    MSE wins
    Swagbucks and You Gov right now, but I'll be going for Pinecone Research and Prolific Academic. Anything of that type that I can do from my armchair!
    Pensions
    I haven't done anything – luckily, the Stock Market hasn't collapsed, but I really do need to safeguard it, simply because I don't earn money any more.
    Online Sales
    I've kept some items back from the charity shop, things that will probably net £5 or more. Spread throughout the year, do it or donate it.
    Change current account
    HSBC have irritated me with their crazy fraud software for the last time. When my Regular Saver terminates, I'm moving.
    Insurance
    I just renewed last year, for ease, it was less than a month after the funeral. But I want a cheaper alternative, and I need to get quotes for insurance of all this jewellery I now have.

Accounts
    2016/17 in the UK, and 2017 in France. I don't know if I'll need to do UK accounts after this year – I might have to, even though I've no UK earnings, because of the French apartment.
    French accountant
    I have the possibility of shifting accountant, people have got a computer programme going for leaseback properties like mine. Do I take the risk of moving? I'll have to decide really soon. Probably not worth it if I'm selling.
    Tackle French mortgage.
    The mortgage ends in September next year! About 630 euros a month goes to capital repayment, and the interest rate is 0.95% p.a.
    Ability to sell the French apartment?
    If I could sell it without penalty (huge VAT payment) I'd love to get rid of it now. I don't care too much what I'd get for it, even.
    My mother's house
    We'll be putting it up for sale in the summer; it was recently rewired, which is good, but it's still a fixer-upper, there's no doubt. Quite a bit of work in it.

Counting Blessings”,says greent.
    I used to do that all the time. Last year felt short on blessings, to be honest, but even so my brother and sister and I have come together very strongly, we've met up with the Norfolk rellies, a new baby was born, I went catsitting twice, and that's just the big stuff.
    Next year will be more settled in the basics, so that everyday events feel more fun, and there'll be lots more opportunity for fun one-offs: I'm off to London this week and the next for days out. Another baby will be born in summer 2018!

Retired August 2016
Page 13
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on the mould.
    10 quid for a copy of the chat!!!!!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 5th Feb 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 14,005 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Well done on the mold & hot shower afterwards!

OH did our bathroom tiles this morning & then the steamiest, longest hot shower I believe he's ever had!
    1 YEAR & 7 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Juggling the pots to keep in the black!
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 5th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 16,605 Posts
    • 109,650 Thanks
    gallygirl
    All sounding good KC and thanks for the cake .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Morning lovely peeps

Yep, really hot showers after mould are the way to go, aren't they

Absolutely **freezing** here today, I feel like apologising for being retired but I won't

So, situation is good: dw is on, wm ready, house is fairly clean, mould is gone, cooked beans in the fridge, plenty of green veg in the freezer, rubbish to go to the tip slowly being collected from the back garden ready for my brother's visit down here with another van full of stuff, at the end of this month. Even SB is cooperating: £20 Amazon vouchers received, and thanks to recent efforts, another £40 has just been ordered plus I've started on another one. I need to replace my kindle, its slowly dying, and I want to be able to take it on the cruise. Amazon vouchers will do nicely for that

Otherwise - I could clean the bathroom. I really could, and it isn't "fairly clean" as the rest of the house . I could also do some more transcribing old letters while scanning financial docs before I shred them. That works for me.

I'm catching up
    Retired August 2016
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 6th Feb 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 20,892 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

So, situation is good: dw is on, wm ready, house is fairly clean, mould is gone, cooked beans in the fridge, plenty of green veg in the freezer, rubbish to go to the tip slowly being collected from the back garden ready for my brother's visit down here with another van full of stuff, at the end of this month.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Read this and thought "How did she do that?"

Then I read it again
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 - after May 45.81% £4,581.38/£10,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,021.80/£3,000 including stores so far 34.06% of my annual budget at the end of May
    My DFD is here
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 18, 9:52 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat

Sitting in the fridge. Sitting

I love it
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    Had to read it twice

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 18, 6:05 PM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I shall write a *little* more carefully

I did the transcribing-while-scanning thing, then did some weeding in the garden - three sets of bramble roots, and a whole lot of other stuff, went the way of the dodo I even got a big load of washing half dried on the line - its draped all over the house at the moment.

My next visit to Westeros is this evening
    Retired August 2016
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 6th Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Gosh, well done on the gardening and line drying. Its Baltic here so I've dashed from house to car and vice versa! I did get wrapped up and volunteered to go out on duty today so those with wellies could play in the snow. Lovely to see them running around and having fun without a device in sight

Enjoy your GOT night xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Feb 18, 9:22 PM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    Baltic here too.
    Yet more snow but not for long~~phew.

***Keep plodding***
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 6th Feb 18, 11:51 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 6,980 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Gosh, well done on the gardening and line drying. Its Baltic here so I've dashed from house to car and vice versa! I did get wrapped up and volunteered to go out on duty today so those with wellies could play in the snow. Lovely to see them running around and having fun without a device in sight

Enjoy your GOT night xx
    Originally posted by pinkypig

I used to love playground duty, especially in the snow, always volunteered, kids appreciate it so much.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 7th Feb 18, 4:18 AM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 30,145 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    You are making retirement sound delicious KC.
    • Jaymie kate
    • By Jaymie kate 7th Feb 18, 4:28 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Jaymie kate
    Norway is a beautiful place and my family's also looking at the possibility of including that in our list for this year.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Baltic here too.
    Yet more snow but not for long~~phew.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I used to love playground duty, especially in the snow, always volunteered, kids appreciate it so much.
    Originally posted by wishingthemortgaheaway

I have snow
    Retired August 2016
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Feb 18, 8:11 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You are making retirement sound delicious KC.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Thats good - you'll get there before the government says so, SHS.

Norway is a beautiful place and my family's also looking at the possibility of including that in our list for this year.
    Originally posted by Jaymie kate
    Hello Jaymie kate, welcome Glad to hear you might be doing something similar - we've been advised that insect repellent is going to be really important (I guess I'm thinking about Scotland and its midges?) and Goldie has mentioned cruising forums, which I must find a link to.

My snow is still laying
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Feb 18, 8:21 AM
    • 55,005 Posts
    • 219,591 Thanks
    beanielou
    No snow here today as yey.
    Bitterly cold.
    Have a good day

***Keep plodding***
    • greent
    • By greent 7th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 72,123 Thanks
    greent
    Yeay to mould removal! (and to cake! )

All sounding great, Kc - very positive, energetic posts - lovely xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £1068.37/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £522.39/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £18564.38/£18918.90
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 29,312 Posts
    • 167,838 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Aw, thank you greent!

Been faffing with SB for a bit, but needed to get up and move about - the snow has melted, but that doesn't mean I actually want to go outside so I'm paying attention to the live herbs I bought from Sainsbo on Sunday: I've replanted basil from herbs like that lots of times, giving them space to grow, but on Sunday I also bought chives. It's an experiment, I'm not sure if they'll survive (repotted, I mean, not outside in the snow!) but I'm such rubbish at growing from seed, its a worthwhile experiment. £1.25 for the herb pot, now divided into 3. We'll see.

Just had Second Breakfast and am taping Harvey, the James Stewart rabbit film Offline now to carry on setting things up
    Retired August 2016
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 7th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 3,591 Posts
    • 30,145 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Chives do well outside - tougher than Basil (though maybe not new plants in snow!).
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 7th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    pinkypig

Just had Second Breakfast and am taping Harvey, the James Stewart rabbit film Offline now to carry on setting things up
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Yum - love a second breakfast, might add to my list of holiday treats for next week

Good luck with your herbs xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

33Posts Today

3,760Users online

Martin's Twitter