Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jinkster
    • By jinkster 2nd Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 363Posts
    • 54Thanks
    jinkster
    Natwest Bank Closed
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    Natwest Bank Closed 2nd Jan 18 at 2:40 PM
    I had a letter the other day to say the Natwest Bank had closed where the account was opened. Sometime on applications they want to know bank address which will become non-existent. What is the procedure in this case?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 2nd Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    The letter should have told you the address of the branch to which they were moving your account.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 2nd Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    Your sort code will refer to the branch (which may not be a physical branch at all). Google will find it for you.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 2nd Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    As RG2015 said, they should have advised which branch your account was being transferred to. It should be one of the closest alternatives to the closed branch.

The sort code and account number shouldn't change, so simply give the sort code and account number together with the address they specify. Online checks of the sort code may still show the address of the closed branch.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 2nd Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    When Barclays changed my sort code in November, they informed me that the new codes don!!!8217;t pertain to any particular branch.

Edit: However, I have just checked, and sort code finder tells me it!!!8217;s a branch in Leeds.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 2nd Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 20,321 Posts
    • 16,080 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:29 PM
    When Barclays changed my sort code in November, they informed me that the new codes don’t pertain to any particular branch.

Edit: However, I have just checked, and sort code finder tells me it’s a branch in Leeds.
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Are you sure the address is a physical branch and not some sort of processing centre, which is where a lot of non-branch sortcodes end up.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 2nd Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    Are you sure the address is a physical branch and not some sort of processing centre, which is where a lot of non-branch sortcodes end up.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    You could well be right, it gave the address as ‘Leeds 6’.
    • jinkster
    • By jinkster 4th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    jinkster
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    I spoke with Natwest and its been moved to Barnsley (about 1 hr 30 min drive from where we live now). I've asked about moving the account to Bakewell (5 mins drive) but they will not do this for me.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 4th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 4th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    I spoke with Natwest and its been moved to Barnsley (about 1 hr 30 min drive from where we live now). I've asked about moving the account to Bakewell (5 mins drive) but they will not do this for me.
    Originally posted by jinkster
    Sounds like Bakewell may be for the chop then.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Jan 18, 12:57 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Does it matter where the account is held?

Surely you can do pretty much anything branches do in any remaining branch.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 4th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    I'm with PeacefulWaters on this - why should it matter at all? Your account isn't "held" at any branch, it's information on a central database. Your current account was likely assigned to a nominated branch or hub when it was opened. Other account types, including ISAs and current accounts opened online, may have no physical branch assigned to them at all. And at any rate it doesn't make a jot of difference as you have full access to all of your accounts at whichever branch you choose to visit!?
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 4th Jan 18, 6:43 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    I agree...it makes no difference. But fincos need to remove this part of the process when asking you for your bank details, quite a few forms ask for the physical address of your branch.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 5th Jan 18, 1:12 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    Vortigern
    I've just renewed my car tax(VED) by DD
    I entered a Bank of Scotland sort code for my "branch."
    I know this branch is now closed.
    The DD was automatically completed with the follwing nonsensical address.
    Bank of Scotland plc, PO Box 17235, Edinburgh, Glasgow, EH11 1YH

As far as I'm aware Edinburgh is not in Glasgow.

It just goes to show that the branch address is unimportant.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 5th Jan 18, 1:25 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 5,276 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Look up the address here...
    https://www.paymentsuk.org.uk/consumers/sort-code-checker
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 6th Jan 18, 7:50 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    TheBanker
    Originally posted by jinkster
    The reason (probably) is that your old sort code has been assigned to Barnsley, so to move your account to Bakewell would mean giving you a new sort code and account number. This creates a whole load of additional, unnecessary work re-directing regular credits and debits.

Years ago, it was important because each branch dealt with the admin on their own accounts. Now, it's all centralised so it doesn't matter which branch your account is nominally held at. Even 10 years ago when I worked at Barclays, any post received at the branch was forwarded, unopened, to a processing centre to be dealt with. Then they put a Royal Mail redirection in place so we didn't get any post to the branch at all. Which meant if a kind customer sent us a Christmas card, it ended up at a processing centre in Leicester!

If you look at newer banks like Santander and Metro, their sort codes aren't tied to specific branches. You could open a Santander account in Aberdeen and be given the same sort code as a customer in Exeter.

My Natwest branch closed a few years ago. Now the branch I was moved to has closed and I've moved again. All of those branches are in South Yorkshire, I live in Hertfordshire. I had set foot in the original branch only once, and have never been to either of the two replacement branches.
    Make £10 a day challenge: Jan-18: £330 / £400
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter