Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 2nd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 789Posts
    • 5,653Thanks
    PipneyJane
    2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge
    • 2nd Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge 2nd Jan 18 at 12:52 PM
    Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, I've decided to a "Fashion on the Ration" challenge for 2018. Since I already have an overflowing wardrobe and a yarn stash approaching SABLE*, my aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
    Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
    Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
    Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
    Pyjamas - 8 coupons
    Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
    Nightdress - 6 coupons
    Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
    Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
    Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
    Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
    Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
    Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
    Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
    Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
    Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
    1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
    2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-

• 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
    • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw at the Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
    • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
    • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
    • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
    • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
    • Ditto trousers
    • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
    • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.

Beyond trying to find a trench coat with a warm, detachable lining to replace my almost warn out one, I don't have any clothes-purchasing plans for 2018. (14 Coupons) My quest for the coat may take a while, since I want one where the detachable lining includes sleeves. I have been looking since September.

Care to join me?

- Pip

*SABLE=Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy
    Last edited by PipneyJane; 02-01-2018 at 1:58 PM. Reason: annoying paragraph spacing
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Page 4
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 7th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Oooh but there were HUGE taxes on bringing in clothing bought abroad...! I mean massive taxes - stories of people abandoning the clothes at the dockside because they couldn't afford to pay the import duty on clothes bought in America...

So maybe there should be some 'penalty' for bringing in clothes from abroad!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 7th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    PipneyJane, your post is really intriguing and interesting and making me think - this situation must have happened to so many people, being asked to participate in a wedding (congrats, btw!) and they would just have had to find ways...

Can you ask round friends your size or bigger and see if anyone has a good condition frock they never wear? That kind of thing might yield either something you can simply wear, or something you can alter, adapt or even just cut to pieces and use the fabric!

I have bought some fabric, two skirts and three tops worth, and a little more still to be bought. I need to sit down and work out the coupons on that.
    A yard of wool cloth is 3 coupons, but a whole dress of other fabric is only 7 - these are all cotton or polycotton, so should I halve the wool-cloth couponage and make it 1.5 coupons per yard, or can I get away with 1 coupon per yard, or is that pushing my luck?

What do people think?

I am pleased with myself anyway, because for once, I didn't just buy pretty stuff (my downfall!) but I actually went in a few weeks ago with notebook and jotted down widths and descriptions and prices of fabrics I liked, then came home, sat down and looked at my wardrobe and what I don't need more of and what I'd love more of, and what would fill in gaps and enable me to wear things I already have, etc., etc...
    Then I went back in and made decisions, with a useful Niece to assist, and chose a dark green cotton skirt, a cornflower blue cotton skirt, a rich dark green soft viscose for a gorgeous ruffled off-the-shoulder peasant top, and two polycottons for button-front camisole tops.

So I bought very specifically and can just sit down and get going on making stuff to wear this summer, instead of vaguely intending to do something...
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 7th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 3,984 Posts
    • 53,967 Thanks
    monnagran
    Confession time. I have just gathered up all my summer clothes. Those I intend to wear this year, those I was wearing 3 years ago when I was 2 stone heavier that I have kept in case I ever put the weight back on, and those that I WILL get into if my present diet actually works.

Most of these clothes came from the local CS. All in all I've probably got enough to last me till Armageddon. All my coupons can now be used to replace any underwear that is too disreputable for even me to wear. No one can see it, right? And, of course, the odd pair of shoes. I'm very hard on shoes. My most comfortable shoes and the ones I wear just for a trek to the village shop are already kept together with bits of glued on duct tape.
    You see what happens when you were really brought up during the war. You turn into a walking rag bag.

PJ, I was a bridesmaid in 1944. My wonderful mum made me a beautiful dress with NEW material. A blue creation with scalloped sleeves and the hem scalloped to just show the lace of the petticoat I was wearing underneath. She also made my headress of stiff lace and little flowers she had also made. I carried a posy of sweet peas from the garden.
    After the wedding she cut a length off the skirt to make it into a short dress. The cut off piece made a bolero to wear over a white blouse.
    I could give Shirley Temple a run for her money.

Have I given you any ideas? You can skip the bolero and the Shirley Temple ringlets if you like.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Topher
    • By Topher 7th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    Topher
    Underwear
    My grandfather's cousin Frances was a formidable old girl. She'd been brought up to have a wealth of middle class housewifely skills. When WW2 broke out, she was living in a "nice" area of Liverpool, but as she could already drive, volunteered for the Ambulance service, so was bucketing around Liverpool during air raids and such. No need for a full life story. At the end of her life, she came to live at my Mum's, and with her came her stock of gorgeous hand made underwear, nearly all satin or silk, and beautifully embellished with the hand stitching she was well known for. (She hand smocked a dress for my daughter when she was a baby, and sewed tiny rosebuds - each made with a certain stitch, on each point where the smocking came together). Since I've been collecting sewing patterns from WW2 era (& before and after), I've acquired a couple for cami-knickers like Frances's and slips etc, also some lovely hand knitted longer leg pants (would deffo keep your kidneys warm when attending an air raid). The hand knitted stuff is interesting, items we no longer bother with, usually a pattern or two for just the heels of socks, so you could double up the heel thickness, or replace that part of the sock that had worn through. I've never been able to successsfully transfer photos onto here, otherwise I could share the patterns.
    • Topher
    • By Topher 7th May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 522 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    Topher
    Re:restoring leather handbags
    I got some advice from the shoe repair man on our local market. He said there are some restoring creams in a basic range of colours for leather furniture. If you apply it to a handbag, it doesn't rub off onto clothes etc. I bought a jar of black cream from him, and used it to polish my handbag, it really worked well, and, as promised, did not rub off onto clothing etc. The finish didn't last as long as the original colour had, but it gave the bag some more years of use without it's looking too shabby.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 28th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I've been away intermittently for a few weeks but now am home (which is a lovely feeling!) and am planning to Get On With Some Sewing. I have the fabric bought in my previous post, and am going to crack on asap with the dark green sheeting-cotton - instead of a skirt, I shall make a divided skirt, or possibly wide-legged mid-calf trousers... I made Accidental Trousers several years ago when I forgot to add the large box-pleat to the pattern I'd drafted for a divided skirt, thus making trousers which are basically two near-circular skirts joined at a crotch (!). The hem on each leg is over 80 inches, so it looks like a very full skirt and I have to say, it's the only outfit I have where total strangers come up to me to say how much they like my style - four times so far! That never happens, so I really should just copy them in other colours, as the original Accidental Trousers are in a very boring brown furnishing cotton I had miles of (think janitor's work-coat colour...).

So a pair of Deliberate Trousers in dark green, perhaps?
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 5th Jun 18, 5:07 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Oh golly.

I went through my entire fabric collection today.

I either need to get sewing a LOT more, or open a fabric shop. One or the other...
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 19th Jun 18, 8:57 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 5,653 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Good evening all

How did we get almost half way through the year? I donít know where the time has gone. How are your coupons holding up? I still have my remaining 30 coupons intact.

Regarding the wedding outfit, I met up with my friend and her fianc!e a couple of weeks ago was presented with a fait accompli. A very elegant, oyster-grey coloured shift dress, which they categorically refused to let me pay for. (I have no idea what it cost.). More importantly, it fits well and itís a colour I can wear.

Since itís a gift, Iím not counting it towards my coupon spend. Instead, Iím treating it as ďgoldĒ from my friendís wardrobe (which it probably isnít, since it isnít her style), but that is in keeping with the more-monied middle class during the war, who raided each otherís wardrobes for ďnewĒ clothes and upcycled what they found.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 24th Jun 18, 11:14 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Morning Pipney Jane! I need to sit down and calculate my coupons but I have a horrible feeling I've overspent - two different pairs of jeans at 1/2 price and 1/3 price recently... one pair was a very unflattering pale pink but Dylon "rosewood red" machine dye has turned them a lovely rich deep brick-red with paler stitching, and by adding a cream belt, they look deliberate
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 7th Jul 18, 12:46 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I am officially back on track with this challenge, because I have just made myself a lovely pair of shorts: old-fashioned ones, with turn-ups, front pleats, really comfortable, fully lined throughout in cream cotton, made in a lovely brick-red linen-blend sturdy fabric...

....made from two old scallop-edged lined window-blinds someone was chucking out!!!
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 7th Jul 18, 10:21 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 24,216 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Bother. I've been very smug about my ability to resist buying anything, but I forgot that fabric counts. On a little trip last week I bought some fabric. 8.5 m to be precise - I think that's going to add 17 coupons to my current tally of 27, assuming two coupons per metre? It's all lightweight cotton type stuff.

Still, if I can get the items made up it will be fewer coupons than buying ready-made. Laura, I take my hat off to you - that's really MSE!
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • RicardaRacoon
    • By RicardaRacoon 8th Jul 18, 1:23 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 4,891 Thanks
    RicardaRacoon
    Pip, dresses sometimes fall off the back of a lorry :-) So don't ask questions and enjoy wearing it!

Laura, like your make-do-and-mend idea with the curtains to shorts! I have a green bedsheet in my fabric stash that should one day become a skirt....

Topher, good idea with the leather polish. My sister has blood red Dr Martens boots and can't find shoe polish in the right colour, so will tell her to look for leather polish for furnitur instead.

So, I have so far used 28 points...

5 Points of a blouse
    4 points for a pair of plimsolls
    8 Points for a pair of jeans
    7 points of a non-woolen dress
    and 4 points for 200 gramms of yarn

I just about managed to hold myself back with buying a matching cardigan for my dress... But I have matching yarn, so might knit myself a cardi from that.

I will also need a pair of shoes asap, I don't have a single pair of summer shoes, donated last years balllet flats because they hurt so much and just binned a pair of open shoes because they literally fell apart... And then I will sit on my points until it is time to think of a winter wardrobe...
    Resolution for 2018"Live better on less" - Less stuff, less waste, less silly spends but more make do and mend and more fun
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 13th Jul 18, 11:13 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Oops, Dunelm were selling really good quality Rose & Hubble cotton fabrics for 1/3 of their usual price per metre, ahem...

That's blown some points... 21 coupons, oops. I had lost track earlier in the year and so had decided to start again at June 30th with 33 coupons left.

So now I have only 12 coupons for the rest of the year...!

Well...

Luckily I have nearly finished sorting out and cataloguing my entire fabric and yarn collection so I shall just have to work from that!
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 9th Aug 18, 8:31 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    I'm onto the stage of crocheting the buttonbands and collar onto a cardigan I've knitted from yarn I was given as a jumper. Someone at the Sewing Group I used to go to said, "oh, you like mohair, don't you? Here, have this" and handed me a carrier bag, which turned out to have a jumper she'd knitted that she never wore as she disliked it once she'd made it (?! It was a pretty shapeless thing...).
    It takes a LONG time to unravel a mohair jumper!

But I now have a little fitted cardigan, with short sleeves, gathered at the top in 40s style, with a box-pleat and deep ribbed cuff ending above my elbow, and the body plain knit with a round neckline and a very deep ribbed waist.

Just those button-bands, neckband and buttons to be done...!

And NO coupons!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 11th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 5,653 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Oops, Dunelm were selling really good quality Rose & Hubble cotton fabrics for 1/3 of their usual price per metre, ahem...

That's blown some points... 21 coupons, oops. I had lost track earlier in the year and so had decided to start again at June 30th with 33 coupons left.

So now I have only 12 coupons for the rest of the year...!

Well...

Luckily I have nearly finished sorting out and cataloguing my entire fabric and yarn collection so I shall just have to work from that!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Donít kick yourself too hard. Your stash-busting endeavours sound lovely. Iím in awe of your patience re unravelling the mohair sweater. Anyway, if you run out of coupons, at least youíll have your stash to raid.

Itís August and, amazingly I still have 30 coupons intact! They will probably all be blown on a trip to France at the end of September, where I will visit either the Calais branch or the Bayeux branch of Un Jeur Ailleur.

In the meantime, Iím making in-roads on my most recent yarn purchases. The Regia is now my sock-in-progress, living in my handbag for Tube trips, Prom Concerts (when we sit in the gods*) and long stints in the passenger seat of the car.

You may remember that I purchased a third FUBC kit from Susan Crawford, in order to get enough of the Victoria colourway to make another Sunray Ribbed Sweater. Still not sure what Iím going to do with the 3 skeins of natural yarn, but Iíve made the body and half a sleeve so far. At the moment, I have 56g left - plus the swatch - and am beginning to worry that I wonít have enough. This yarn is a one-off, so if I run out, Iíll probably have to rework the sleeves, making them shorter.

- Pip

* I only knit at Prom concerts if Iím certain the performers canít see me, since I donít want to be a distraction. I use wooden needles and pause during the quiet bits. (Itís amazing how intimate the Royal Albert Hall can be when youíre sitting in the stalls, whereas up in the Rausing Circle it feels huge.)

• Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 11th Aug 18, 3:51 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    Can I suggest the natural yarn might be dyed in a microwave with food colouring? I had never done any dyeing, but started experimenting last year - it must be natural animal fibres, so silk and wool basically - I've dyed wool-blend sock yarns successfully. I only use the bright cheerful colours, so I don't get into complex mixing of colours, but if you would like to try dyeing some of the good yarn, why not dig out a bit of scrap white or pale wool and experiment? I don't know what colour you're about to run out of but perhaps you can dye some that will work as a toning or contrast, to eke out the main colour?
    Sometime over winter I'm planning some summer ankle-socks with a vivid rich vibrant jade/leaf-green and deep rich bright burnt-orange yarn which was once upon a time cream

I do love Regia as a sock yarn. A few years ago I bought quite a few balls of grey - and it is so useful as a backdrop for more exciting colours. I think it's become my favourite neutral!

30 coupons is amazing, with only a bit over 4 months left to go.

What's the situation with freebies? i had a set-to over some months with a big online clothing-retailer, ending with their emailing me a coupon code as an apology for their incompetence - it's been enough to order new walking-shoes for me and for Mr Nice. So do those count as a new pair of shoes, or is the fact they were 'bought' with an apology-voucher from the company going to discount their coupon-ness to some extent, completely or partly?

and my current Zauberball sock yarn is free too - that was a special offer where if we purchased a gift-card top-up to X amount, we got £10 extra free, and this is the £10 spent on yarn, only it isn't actually £10 because they gave it to us... er... more coupons, or not?!
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 12th Aug 18, 9:47 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 5,653 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Can I suggest the natural yarn might be dyed in a microwave with food colouring? I had never done any dyeing, but started experimenting last year - it must be natural animal fibres, so silk and wool basically - I've dyed wool-blend sock yarns successfully. I only use the bright cheerful colours, so I don't get into complex mixing of colours, but if you would like to try dyeing some of the good yarn, why not dig out a bit of scrap white or pale wool and experiment? I don't know what colour you're about to run out of but perhaps you can dye some that will work as a toning or contrast, to eke out the main colour?
    Sometime over winter I'm planning some summer ankle-socks with a vivid rich vibrant jade/leaf-green and deep rich bright burnt-orange yarn which was once upon a time cream

I do love Regia as a sock yarn. A few years ago I bought quite a few balls of grey - and it is so useful as a backdrop for more exciting colours. I think it's become my favourite neutral!

30 coupons is amazing, with only a bit over 4 months left to go.

What's the situation with freebies? i had a set-to over some months with a big online clothing-retailer, ending with their emailing me a coupon code as an apology for their incompetence - it's been enough to order new walking-shoes for me and for Mr Nice. So do those count as a new pair of shoes, or is the fact they were 'bought' with an apology-voucher from the company going to discount their coupon-ness to some extent, completely or partly?

and my current Zauberball sock yarn is free too - that was a special offer where if we purchased a gift-card top-up to X amount, we got £10 extra free, and this is the £10 spent on yarn, only it isn't actually £10 because they gave it to us... er... more coupons, or not?!
    Originally posted by Laura_Elsewhere
    Dying the yarn is a thought, but itís more that I havenít found a pattern for it yet than the colour. I may just have solved that problem; I was browsing Ravelry this morning and found this: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nympheas The Ghyll is sport weight, so it shoul be perfect.

Re vouchers: I feel your pain, particularly if they have expiry dates. I have a £10 gift voucher from Celtic & Co which will expire at Christmas. It was an apology for a mix-up over an order last year. I love their sheepskin slippers, hats and boots and Iíve been eyeing up their sheepskin coats for years (and saving up), but I donít have anything in mind for it. I will have to find something to spend it on. (Gloves? Another hat? I no longer work in a portacabin in the middle of a field, so canít wear their knee-high ugg-style boots to work in winter anymore.)

To add to the pressure, my MIL gave me £70 of Blacker Yarn gift vouchers for my birthday earlier this month. They donít expire. I just have to hope that it will be next year before their 4-ply Bluefaced Leicester comes back into stock.

Itís up to you how you treat gift vouchers, but Iíve always treated them as cash, not freebies, so that anything bought with them adds to the total coupons spent. I have a vague memory that coupons were issued in tranches, so you might justify the spend as raiding next yearís coupons.

Re the 30 coupons: you may have noticed that virtually all my spends this year have been yarn. (Yes, itís my weakness.) Iím lucky, in that I have a decent wardrobe of clothes already and Iím not a fashionista. (Very few fashionable clothes from the last 20 years look good on me.) For me, the pressure to purchase clothes comes when things wear out. My favourite stretch jeans will have to be replaced - the fabric is coming apart on the front of the thighs - but I have other jeans to wear until I find a suitable replacement. (Why is it so difficult to get jeans with decent pockets???).

- Pip

• PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 12th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 24,216 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    I haven't spent any more - managed to make up some of the fabric I bought, so it's not lurking unused in the cupboard. I bought a top for a friend but it was from a CS so that doesn't count ... oh, hang on, I've just bought a new swimsuit. I don't really count that as 'clothing' in my mind, its definitely not a fashion item. What do you think - 4 coupons, same as a pair of cami-knickers?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 14th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 1,098 Posts
    • 24,216 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    No need to answer this, as the swimsuit has had to be sent back. Sigh. I have a full figure and a rather long torso, and it seems to be impossible to buy a sports swimsuit larger than an 18. There is plenty of plus size swimwear, if I wanted retro, plunge, uplift, cutouts or anything else fancy - it seems manufacturers don!!!8217;t think larger ladies just want to swim for exercise! I really don!!!8217;t want to go to my local leisure centre wearing a plunge front, or one with a little skirt. Coupons back in the drawer, I!!!8217;ll have to carry on with the rather old swimsuit I already own.
    • Laura_Elsewhere
    • By Laura_Elsewhere 14th Aug 18, 6:09 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    Laura_Elsewhere
    This goes up to a 44" and couldn't be more straightforward and simple.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedo-Essential-Endurance-Medalist-Swimsuit/dp/B001DMKVC6

Any use?

I have the same problem - only I want one that doesn't look sporty, just a simple one, like this but without the obvious Speedo logo and racer back... luckily, I barely swim, ever...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,590Posts Today

9,925Users online

Martin's Twitter