Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,221Posts
    • 696Thanks
    poppellerant
    Feedback on Utility Point
    • 2nd Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    Feedback on Utility Point 2nd Jan 18 at 10:53 AM
    Having compared my tariff online, this company seems to be the same price as my existing Flex4 tariff with Iresa. But even Googling Utility Point's name didn't instantly find their website. I can't seem to find much, if any, feedback on this company so they must be relatively new. I only found them with Energy Helpline's comparison site.

If anybody has any comments or feedback to make on this company, I'd really like to hear them. Even if you're in the middle of switching, it'd be good to see how they treat potential customers. I did try to call them today, but it seems they are closed.

This is their website: https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/
Page 4
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 30th Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    Grrr signed up but they are very eager to take a DD payment...on your start date in the middle of the month? (14th in my case) this isn't the normal as the big 6 usually take on the 1st of the month or whatever after your start date. May cancel DD and see what they do? Would just ask they change the date but no doubt it will end up being a pain in the backside.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 30th Jul 18, 10:20 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    My DD date has always been the date I started, as like most of the smaller companies, they take in advance and not arrears.

Unless I am missing something, I fail to see how the date they take your DD is a really major issue.

Now one thing that has happened that has annoyed me is this. I decided to open another bank account to be used as my bill paying account. When I contacted them to notify them of the new account details, they told me that they had to send out a form and I had to complete and return. When I queried this, they said that this procedure laid down by whoever processes the DD for them.
    Last edited by PennineAcute; 31-07-2018 at 9:24 PM.
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 31st Jul 18, 8:40 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    Well it means I get 2 payments in 1 month to pay (old provider and new provider) also who wants a DD in the middle of the month nowadays?
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 31st Jul 18, 9:27 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    To be honest, though, they do tell you that payment will be in advance.
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 1st Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    Well it means I get 2 payments in 1 month to pay (old provider and new provider) also who wants a DD in the middle of the month nowadays?
    Originally posted by NoNoDrama
    Look on the bright side.

When you switch away from Utility Point (advance payment) to a new supplier that operates retrospective payment (so probaby more expensive as they need to fund the lending somehow), you won't have any payment to make for one month
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 1st Aug 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    poppellerant
    I have been struggling to contact Utility Point recently. An email I sent to them over a week ago has still not been replied to - I have a confirmation email saying they will reply in 5-7 days, so there was no typo in the email address.

Now they are blatantly impossible to reach on the telephone. I tried 3 times in a row just now, each time I was asked to leave a voicemail rather than wait in a queue. Sorry, but I would much rather wait in a queue and get the problem (caused by myself) sorted in the same day.

So if they don't reply to emails or pick up the phone, how do they propose we contact them? Post them a letter in this day and age? If I do post them a letter, it will be a complaint.

I am far from impressed. At least with Iresa you were sure to speak to somebody, even if it did mean waiting in a queue for the best part of the day sometimes.
    • drphila
    • By drphila 6th Aug 18, 3:25 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    drphila
    FWIW I sent them an email 6 days ago and never received a confirmation email, let alone a reply.
    Originally posted by Stompa

I've been deliberating for a while whether to switch to Outfox The Market or UP. I think this post and the one to which it refers have made up my mind for me. (Taking into account the phone contact problems)

I will decide definitely tomorrow, but if anyone has any comments on this course of action, I would welcome them.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 7th Aug 18, 1:39 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    All I can say in defence, is that I have had no issues. I have always used the online chat. Sometimes this is off-line, but India has always responded in a very short period of time.

My last communication with them was by using the off-line chat a week last Friday, 20 July. I had a response on Monday 23 July.

I feel that cheap means some form of cost cutting. Talking in person seems to be one of them.
    • Gary1963
    • By Gary1963 10th Aug 18, 5:18 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Gary1963
    Been with them and since 1st of May. I use to always put reading in on the 1st with Npower. But now last day of each month.
    Cheapest for me on the market.
    • swiftez
    • By swiftez 13th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    swiftez
    I was looking at switching to Utility Point few days ago but looked back today to see they have removed the variable tariff and increase the price for the fixed tariff.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 13th Aug 18, 8:01 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    Seems their initial cheapness has now disappeared. 15p a day SC! Glad I got in at the start of the year for 18 months.
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 14th Aug 18, 9:04 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    I was looking at switching to Utility Point few days ago but looked back today to see they have removed the variable tariff and increase the price for the fixed tariff.
    Originally posted by swiftez
    Not sure why you were ever interested in a varaible tariff during a time when prices are generally rising.

I have watched this supplier for seveal months and see they are changing their tariffs very often, far more often than most suppliers do; in fact so often the comparison sites are often struggling to keep up.

However, general rule is to consult a comparison site and find the best deal for you. If yopu see a good deal, snap it up there and then, as it may not be available next time you look.

If, or some unknown reason, you are determined to switch to this particualr supplier, my advice would be to keep watching their tariffs and jump in if/when they offer a cheap deal for you.
    But in a time of generally rising prices, don;t expect the same prices today that were around a fesw onths back.
    I see BG are already on their second round of price increases this year, and once one starts...
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 14th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 1,630 Posts
    • 1,270 Thanks
    bxboards
    Seems their initial cheapness has now disappeared. 15p a day SC! Glad I got in at the start of the year for 18 months.
    Originally posted by PennineAcute
    I'm on Just Up wk4 18 month fix, like you I joined UP early.

The standing charge has gone up around 5p now vs. my price and unit cost is around 2p higher.

No idea if UP are still competitive in the broader market at the moment, but the 18 month fix with all these rises is very welcome.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 14th Aug 18, 1:36 PM
    • 7,785 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Stompa
    Me too, their current offering is around 16% more expensive.
    Stompa
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 14th Aug 18, 2:00 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    But there is now a 15 per year discount for online account management, equivilent to a saving of 4.1p per day. I'm not sure what you are currently paying, but I suspect that is cheaper than what you currently are being charged.

Less than 11p a day is quite cheap as a standing charge for electricity, especially when it is E7
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 14th Aug 18, 2:16 PM
    • 7,785 Posts
    • 3,815 Thanks
    Stompa
    But there is now a 15 per year discount for online account management
    Originally posted by Skools_Out
    Is that a comparatively recent introduction then? I certainly get it on my 11p SC tariff.
    Stompa
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 14th Aug 18, 3:14 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    Is that a comparatively recent introduction then? I certainly get it on my 11p SC tariff.
    Originally posted by Stompa
    Which tariff are you currently on?

I don't believe it was included in the Just Up wk4 18 month fix another MSEer compared it to in this thread.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 14th Aug 18, 4:08 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    I certainly do not get a 15 DD discount. I am on the
    Just Up 18 Wk13 Direct for Elec and Just Up 18 Wk11 Direct for Gas.
    • swiftez
    • By swiftez 14th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    swiftez
    How does the online account management discount work? Is it 30 for dual fuel (15 each) and 25 for using a referral?
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 14th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    I feel the discount is already incorporated into the standing charge and unit price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,566Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter