Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 2nd Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 1,273Posts
    • 723Thanks
    poppellerant
    Feedback on Utility Point
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    Feedback on Utility Point 2nd Jan 18 at 9:53 AM
    Having compared my tariff online, this company seems to be the same price as my existing Flex4 tariff with Iresa. But even Googling Utility Point's name didn't instantly find their website. I can't seem to find much, if any, feedback on this company so they must be relatively new. I only found them with Energy Helpline's comparison site.

If anybody has any comments or feedback to make on this company, I'd really like to hear them. Even if you're in the middle of switching, it'd be good to see how they treat potential customers. I did try to call them today, but it seems they are closed.

This is their website: https://www.utilitypoint.co.uk/
Page 18
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 14th Apr 19, 10:55 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,001 Thanks
    MABLE
    So far very pleased with UP. Account all up and running. First DD shown and the agreed 25.00 paid into the account and that is before the first bill is produced. For me the tariff I chose is very competiively priced.
    • techno12
    • By techno12 14th Apr 19, 1:35 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    techno12
    How often do they calculate your bill? Is it once every 6 months or something?

I joined in January and have built up a large credit with zero debits.
    The statements page shows four credits of 55.49 and the 25 referral but zero entries in the 'debit' column.

I'm sending meter readings on the 1st of each month, and they're all logged correctly on the meter readings page.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 14th Apr 19, 1:52 PM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    but zero entries in the 'debit' column.
    Originally posted by techno12
    Statements are monthly. Did you get a final bill from previous supplier? With the same meter reads you originally gave UP? May need to show this to UP. Contact them (unofrtunately only available during working hours; they are also pro-active on twitter).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • PHoppers
    • By PHoppers 14th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    PHoppers
    How often do they calculate your bill? Is it once every 6 months or something?

I joined in January and have built up a large credit with zero debits.
    The statements page shows four credits of 55.49 and the 25 referral but zero entries in the 'debit' column.

I'm sending meter readings on the 1st of each month, and they're all logged correctly on the meter readings page.
    Originally posted by techno12
    I joined on 10th Jan and get a monthly bill @ 10th of each month. I get an email reminder to enter my meter readings on 10th. The bill is usually ready to view a few days after the 10th.
    • techno12
    • By techno12 14th Apr 19, 5:42 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    techno12
    Statements are monthly. Did you get a final bill from previous supplier? With the same meter reads you originally gave UP? May need to show this to UP. Contact them (unofrtunately only available during working hours; they are also pro-active on twitter).
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Ok cheers I'll hassle them on Monday.

I switched from Outfox so wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of mixup, though I've long since had my final bill from them and the account has been settled up (I was in credit).

One odd thing I noticed at the time with Utility Point was that one of my initial reads disappeared from the website after a few days. They've had 3 monthly reads since then however...
    Last edited by techno12; 14-04-2019 at 5:43 PM. Reason: typo
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 16th Apr 19, 1:47 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 2,001 Thanks
    MABLE
    So far very pleased with UP. Account all up and running. First DD shown and the agreed 25.00 paid into the account and that is before the first bill is produced. For me the tariff I chose is very competiively priced.
    Originally posted by MABLE
    Oh dear I spoke too soon. I was in contact with my previous supplier today only to find out they are still supplying me for gas and no record of the supply being switched.

I contacted UP and discovered they have the meter no incorrect. So they said they will have to start the whole process all over again so the switch will not now take place until about 7 May.
    Last edited by MABLE; 16-04-2019 at 2:03 PM.
    • dan852k4
    • By dan852k4 16th Apr 19, 5:23 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dan852k4
    Be careful I changed electricity suppliers on the 3rd and they took another directed debit on the 10th - a week after I changed supplier and I'm still awaiting the refund!
    • Lezduur
    • By Lezduur 18th Apr 19, 12:55 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lezduur
    It seems smart meters are now coming.
    I ticked yes, already have one for electricity courtesy Scottish power.
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 18th Apr 19, 8:29 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    I would argue that if the welcome letter says that you are on a variable package and there are no exits fees then there is nothing to stop you moving to another package.
    So if the new package is variable and has no exit fees then you should be free to change again without fees.

You would need to argue this point BEFORE getting them to action the move in the email as it could be read that you agreed to the possible 36 fees in future as notified in said email.
    Originally posted by gsmlnx
    You can argue all you like, and don't let me stand in your way

But UP only currently have 1 variable rate tariff. All other tariffs have an early exit fee. So if you move from the variable tariff to another UP tariff, you become liable for early exit fees if you then attempt to switch/transfer early.
    • Pjblaze
    • By Pjblaze 25th Apr 19, 9:27 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pjblaze
    Sorted now, although they said they weren't able to just switch me onto the other tariff, i had to cancel the application and re-apply on the new tariff. That's all done now, i just hope that doing it that way doesn't cause any mess ups in the switch over. Should save me at least a further 30 a year on the tariff.
    Originally posted by Pjblaze
    Touch wood, all is good now. Had another problem initially where i could not log into my HUB, even when resetting my password. I presume it was to do with setting up an account, cancelling it, then setting up the account again to get the newer Tariff. In the end i contacted UP on twitter which was a much much quicker response and resolution. It did take them a few days to fix but all been good since then. Also got the refund from MSE for switching to them and the 25 credit from a referral code, didn't;t think i'd get both.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 25th Apr 19, 10:54 AM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    poppellerant
    It's just occurred to me that I've never had anybody come to read my meter since I've been with Utility Point. Not that I really care or have anything to hide, but UP either trust their customers or are cheapskates.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 25th Apr 19, 11:07 AM
    • 4,070 Posts
    • 1,957 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    It's just occurred to me that I've never had anybody come to read my meter since I've been with Utility Point.
    Originally posted by poppellerant
    Apparenty, by law, energy suppliers only have to read your meter once every two years.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • poppellerant
    • By poppellerant 25th Apr 19, 12:17 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    poppellerant
    Apparenty, by law, energy suppliers only have to read your meter once every two years.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    I think Iresa used to come every 6 months, as did OVO. But I shall keep providing my readings - their own readings are merely supplementary to my own.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 25th Apr 19, 2:19 PM
    • 1,507 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    The actual OFGEM regulation clearly states that the energy company must have 1 annual reading. And that is the sum total of the requirement. There is no need to send out a meter reader if the company is happy that the consumers reading can be trusted.
    SLC 21B Billing based on meter readings
     Suppliers must take all reasonable steps to obtain meter readings at least
    annually, and must make a bill or statement of account available at least
    twice a year, or quarterly where requested and/or if a customer has online
    account management
    Suppliers must take all reasonable steps to reflect accurate meter readings in
    bills or statements sent to customers where these have been provided by a
    customer or obtained by the supplier. If a supplier doesn’t consider a meter
    reading provided by a customer to be reasonably accurate, it must take all
    reasonable steps to obtain a new reading from the customer.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2017/11/metering_billing_and_payments_0.pdf
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 25th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    I got a meter reader for my gas, around the start of March. As yet, this reading is not showing on my account. I left Zog, my previous supplier, in April 18, so cannot see it being paperwork out of date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

5,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin