Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 2nd Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 65Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    0 WOW
    Long Haul Destination Ideas
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    0 WOW
    Long Haul Destination Ideas 2nd Jan 18 at 9:43 AM
    Hi,

We are looking at booking a quite a long haul 2 week holiday in June or July. Ideally looking at somewhere where flights are around £500 but the cost of living is really cheap. We looked at Bali as flights from Manchester were around £500 however w though the flight time of 23 hours was too long for a 2 week holiday.

Other places we’ve considered are Thailand and South Africa. Could anybody offer any other suggestions. Would Cuba we OK priced as hotels seem quite expensive.

Ideal flight time would be max 10 hours
Page 3
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 10:50 AM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Just found this very recent thread off the Vietnam Forum on Trip Advisor about getting a flight from Cat Bi to Da Nang...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293923-i9984-k11061968-How_to_do_Ha_long_to_haiphong-Halong_Bay_Quang_Ninh_Province.html

Your call.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 5th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 4,175 Thanks
    blindman
    Is there no quick way to get from halong bay to hoi ann instead of going back to Hanoi. Think we will give hue a miss as recently went to Japan do all templed out
    Originally posted by Moneygrabber89
    When we went I looked at the options and the quickest way was to get a car to Ninh Bin (where we were having a day or two) and then catch a train from there.

There are buses but they are not that regular nor reliable IMHO.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 2:11 PM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    When we went I looked at the options and the quickest way was to get a car to Ninh Bin (where we were having a day or two) and then catch a train from there.
    Originally posted by blindman
    Seriously? I thought the train from Ninh Binh to Danang took about 14 [possibly longer and uncomfortable] hours.

There are buses but they are not that regular nor reliable IMHO.
    I agree, use them as the final option, and never travel on an overnight bus. Recently a sleeper bus in Vietnam got scythed from from front to back by an industrial construction scythe which was being piggy-backed on a lorry. The scythe, which was secured in the vertical position suddenly broke loose into the horizontal.....made a mess and a few passengers met an horrible end.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 5th Jan 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 4,175 Thanks
    blindman
    Seriously? I thought the train from Ninh Binh to Danang took about 14 [possibly longer and uncomfortable] hours.

Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Yes, 14 hrs but overnight in a sleeper is the best use of money and time and not that uncomfortable IMHO.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I like overnight train travel too, not done it Vietnam, but twice in Thailand and once on a train with square wheels in Turkey.

They're not everyone's cup of tea though.....my wife for one, she only tags along out of curiosity!

I'll post the timetable in a few minutes.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 05-01-2018 at 3:37 PM.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 5th Jan 18, 3:46 PM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Timetables, fares, and a whole lot about train travel in Vietnam...

https://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

Worth noting that the man who runs that website is passionate about trains, a complete 'anorak', and does get some criticism about his rose-tinted glasses.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 7th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 4,175 Thanks
    blindman
    Timetables, fares, and a whole lot about train travel in Vietnam...

https://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm

Worth noting that the man who runs that website is passionate about trains, a complete 'anorak', and does get some criticism about his rose-tinted glasses.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    I linked to that site in post 32

Have used him to get the info as to how to book trains in China and India.

No doubt will use it in the future.

Our trips tend to be from 0* to 5* in both travel and accommodation

Mrs B tolerates the 0* for the 5* delights
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Jan 18, 6:29 PM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I linked to that site in post 32
    Sorry, missed it.....didn't realise it was hidden beneath Danang.
    • Abby_W
    • By Abby_W 2nd Mar 18, 1:19 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Abby_W
    Have you ever thought of Malaysia? They speak English pretty well and you can combine a city trip with a beach holiday.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 3rd Mar 18, 2:01 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    slinga
    Have you ever thought of Malaysia? They speak English pretty well and you can combine a city trip with a beach holiday.
    Originally posted by Abby_W
    Flight to KL and then coach to Penang . Loads of things to do in Penang. Not keen on KL so much these days.
    Malacca is good as well but in opposite direction to Penang.

You could hire a car.
    Malaysian drivers are OK, imo.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 3rd Mar 18, 7:54 AM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Flight to KL and then coach to Penang . Loads of things to do in Penang. Not keen on KL so much these days.

You could hire a car.
    Originally posted by slinga
    Sarawak and Sabah in Borneo are part of Malaysia too, and worth a visit.....though I'm not particularly recommending the way we did it...

We flew with Royal Brunei to Bandar Seri Begawan, not too exciting [Saudi Arabia with a smile], but alright for a couple of nights

Then caught a catamaran to the island of Labuan, and on to Kota Kinabalu [KK] in Sabah.....a few nights there.

Then short Air Asia flight to Kuching in Sarawak....a few nights there.

Flew back to KK for 3 nights. Hired a little car for a couple of days, almost never made it back to KK after a hitting rough weather and a lousy road after visiting Mount Kinabalu National Park.

Catamaran back to Brunei [via Labuan]. The South China Sea experience on that leg wasn't very pleasant, and we were delayed a few hours in Labuan.

Just caught our flight home from Bandar Seri Begawan.

Somewhere else ticked off our list.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 3rd Mar 18, 1:56 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    slinga
    I used to work in Sarawak, also Brunei and Labuan when I was much younger.
    Had great times and have great memories of my times there.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 3rd Mar 18, 2:33 PM
    • 12,147 Posts
    • 8,262 Thanks
    Voyager2002

You could hire a car.
    Sounds good, although I would suggest the train to Penang (it doesn't go on to the island but the railway station and ferry terminal are in the same building. Penang includes the wonderful city of Georgetown, and about an hour away you can find a national park with some great forested mountains for walking and beautiful beaches.

KL has a lot to offer, including a stretch of jungle (with treetop walkway) right in the city centre; a variety of exquisite religious buildings; and some pretty wild nightlife.

Melaka (Malacca) is similar to Georgetown but with a Portuguese layer to the architecture, and the history is a few hundred years older. No beach and no trains (the railway was pulled up by the Japanese during the war) but plenty of seafood. Oddly enough, all three cities have a lot of Chinese history to experience.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 4th Mar 18, 1:07 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    slinga
    We drive up to Malacca maybe twice a year and know it quite well. You don't need a car or public transport to get around Malacca as it is small and easily accessible.
    Lots of art shops and antique shops but you don't have to buy anything just talk to the owners who are really enthusiastic about Malacca.
    I was walking around the back street lanes a few years ago and there were all these body parts spread out over the road. Took a while to realise there were parts of a pig that the butcher had chopped up ready for sale the next morning.
    Lot of very good museums in Malacca as there are in Penang.
    No beaches in Malacca and I wouldn't say the beaches around Batu Feringhi in Penang are top notch.

In Penang drive to the south of the island through Balik Pulau and eat the seafood in one of the seafood restaurants on the south shore. The sunset there is as good as we've seen anywhere. Hai Boey Seafood is the one we've been to twice so far.

Much as we like Malacca for anyone that is first time in Malaysia then Penang would be first choice.
    Last edited by slinga; 04-03-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 4th Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 5,326 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    In Penang drive to the south of the island through Balik Pulau and eat the seafood in one of the seafood restaurants on the south shore. The sunset there is as good as we've seen anywhere.
    Tha's not seen the sunset over Morecambe Bay.
    • bigspender1971
    • By bigspender1971 4th Mar 18, 6:59 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    bigspender1971
    We did a 10 day trip-flew to Penang. Stayed one night (amazing curry in Georgetown) then overnight train to Bangkok which was really good fun and cost about £19 each. We had one night in Bangkok then flew to Laos (Luang Prabang) which is just an amazing chilled out place. Then flew back to Penang, had a couple of days then home.
    We've also done Ho Chi Minh which was amazing. I'd love to explore more of Vietnam.
    Also recommend Borneo-split between KL and Kota Kinabalu. Flew Air Asia I think? It wasn't expensive.
    I love holiday planning! That's the most exciting part!
    • markandkate
    • By markandkate 7th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    markandkate
    We went to Cuba about 8 years ago. Clearly things have changed but the biggest issue for us was getting around. There are buses but they tend to only go once a day so you have to pick a destination and stay there you can't stop off to say look at the Che Guevara museum then get a bus somewhere else you are in that town for the night and may end up in places that you don't want to be or miss something. Hiring a car is very problematic as the roads are not wonderful and there are still major fuel shortages. The rail system was not really working and there are so many locals hitching a ride that this is not an option. We did ot see evidence of people hiring drivers apart from local taxis
    • markandkate
    • By markandkate 7th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    markandkate
    Over night trains in Malaysia are Ok. We took the train from KL to a town near the ferry to Langkawi, then ferry from Langkawi to Penang then overnight train from Penang to KL. You can book an air con sleeper and save on a nights hotel cost
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 7th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 4,855 Posts
    • 3,973 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Over night trains in Malaysia are Ok. We took the train from KL to a town near the ferry to Langkawi, then ferry from Langkawi to Penang then overnight train from Penang to KL. You can book an air con sleeper and save on a nights hotel cost
    Originally posted by markandkate
    Personally, I'm not a fan of overnight buses and trains. People say you save on a night's hotel cost but it doesn't help if you don't get any sleep and then are dropped at your destination at 6am and unable to check-in to your next hotel until the afternoon.

Having said that, Penang and Langkawi are both really worth doing as they are neighbouring islands but totally different to each other. I would just fly to one from KL, get the ferry from the other and then fly onwards. Internal flights in Malaysia are just so cheap.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,111Users online

Martin's Twitter